Options

Who is loving Spotify?

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
edited December 2015 in Other Music
I've only just started using Spotify Premium. After using up the 1 month free trial, I signed up for the 3 month $0.99/month trial. It's nice to have 4 months to decide whether or not the service is worth $10/month after that. But after a bit more than a month using it, I'm not sure I'll be able to give it up after the cheapie trial ends.

But before going on, I have to admit that I'm hypocrite. I don't consider the service to be very good for artists, given the minuscule amounts of royalties they get from plays. For mega stars it's okay, but for indy artists, etc it's not IMO.... Not that there is much to be done about it unless everyone decides to start buying vinyl, which we all know won't happen, no matter how awesome that would be, lol. That said, like a jerk, I fucking love it anyway. So shame on me.

Anyway, for when I'm at work and out and about, Spotify is AWESOME for music fans! Unless you require Neil Young, lol. Okay, we're not talking incredible high definition FLAC files here. But whatever. For me, I play my vinyl at home exclusively. Regular digital music is just fine for me out of the house.

Oh, and FWIW, a little money is well worth it compared to the free version. Those ads are infuriating, and you can't even listen to whole albums in order with the free one. It is jammed on shuffle. And I might be remembering it wrong, but I don't think you can even save full albums to your playlist.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    I've had it for about six months and I'm happy with it. I put the higher quality files on my phone so I can listen when I don't have service (like on the subway) and plus I don't want to destroy my data plan.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    RVM1978RVM1978 Leesburg, FL Posts: 320
    I had Spotify Premium for about a year and a half from 2013-mid 2014. What made me stop is that I found the longer I had the service, the less I used it. In the beginning I thought it was amazing. All of this music at your fingertips, it was kind of daunting to be honest. Being spoiled for choice is not necessarily a good thing. I found myself as time went on being less attached to the music than I used to be. It was becoming "content" instead of "music". This is all without mentioning the obvious gap in sound quality vs. what the artists actually record. It's funny you mention Neil Young, because I hopped on board his KickStarter for Pono Music, and once I received my Pono Player in late 2014, I haven't looked back. Sure I have to buy albums one at a time digitally, but I can listen to YouTube for free and decide if it's something I want to buy. The music sounds better than ever before. With the high resolution files, it's like having a record player in your pocket. Just my two cents, but I've been buying music on CD or vinyl also since '91. So I've got a huge collection to take advantage of on this little player. Which includes roughly 70 or so Pearl Jam bootlegs from the Binaural and Riot Act tours on CD. They sound incredible in FLAC 44.1/16 on Pono.
    08/12/2000 - Tampa, FL; 04/09/2003 - Birmingham, AL; 04/11/2003 - West Palm Beach, FL
    04/13/2003 - Tampa, FL; 10/08/2004 - Kissimmee, FL; 05/16 & 17/2006 - Chicago, IL;
    05/19/2006 - Grand Rapids, MI; 05/22/2006 - Auburn Hills, MI; 08/05/2007 - Chicago, IL;
    05/03/2010 - Kansas City, MO; 07/19/2013 - Chicago, IL; 04/13/16 - Jacksonville, FL;
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Spotify + my cassette deck = Great Mix Tapes
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    I love it for convenience if not audio quality. Pono is the best for latter even though it's more expensive. I prefer it over Pandora because I want to listen to albums from beginning to end, not scattered songs.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I understand what you mean RVM, although I can't see that being a problem for me. Really, Spotify is not much different than YouTube, as you mentioned, except that finding the music is more seamless, and without the ads, which goes a long way for me. And if anything, I become more and more obsessed with all the world's music at my fingertips as the years go by, as YouTube taught me (YouTube is still the greatest website on the internet, hands down IMO). Though that may be because of my use of vinyl? That might act as kind of a buffer, if you know what I mean, given that I ONLY listen to vinyl at home, and spend time looking for it, etc. :)
    I'm sure Pono is great, but there is no way I'm spending more that $10 a month for digital music (even the $10 isn't necessarily something I've decided on). I'm already spending all my money on records, so no way in hell I'm buying high def digital as well.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I've been a paid up user for the last couple of years - it's pretty much killed my cd purchasing habits, I literally have no need for them now. If I want a more interactive experience I buy on vinyl :)
  • Options
    InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623

I've been a paid up user for the last couple of years - it's pretty much killed my cd purchasing habits, I literally have no need for them now. If I want a more interactive experience I buy on vinyl :)

Same here. I just use FLAC for albums I've listened to and bought many times in the past if I want the best digital quality. Better than clogging up space with so many CDs burned and purchased in retail.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    MedozK said:

Are you actually compiling mixes from Spotify MedozK? Does that mean you're downloading the music from Spotify? Because the one thing I find disappointing, no matter how much sense it makes, is that I can't download what I listen to. I still use an mp3 player when I'm mobile and always will (smartphones are just too big for my pocket), but as far as I can tell I have to pay to download anything from Spotify to Windows Media Player or dropbox, even though I'm already paying for the subscription. That is the one downfall of this thing (I know it so that you can't share it around, but still...).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

Are you actually compiling mixes from Spotify MedozK? Does that mean you're downloading the music from Spotify? Because the one thing I find disappointing, no matter how much sense it makes, is that I can't download what I listen to. I still use an mp3 player when I'm mobile and always will (smartphones are just too big for my pocket), but as far as I can tell I have to pay to download anything from Spotify to Windows Media Player or dropbox, even though I'm already paying for the subscription. That is the one downfall of this thing (I know it so that you can't share it around, but still...).
    If you pay the top tier, anything you listen to can be downloaded to a phone - my smart phones have always fitted in my pockets ;)

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

If you pay the top tier, anything you listen to can be downloaded to a phone - my smart phones have always fitted in my pockets ;)

As in downloaded as an mp3? I mean, if you have Spotify, why would you need to download a song just to your phone? It's already on your phone in the app.... :confused: What am I missing?
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,844
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

As in downloaded as an mp3? I mean, if you have Spotify, why would you need to download a song just to your phone? It's already on your phone in the app.... :confused: What am I missing?
    When its on your phone you are not streaming data and you are able to listen to it when you don't have any internet connection. Once you get rid of spotify, the songs put on your phone are gone. You never actually own them- its like renting them.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

When its on your phone you are not streaming data and you are able to listen to it when you don't have any internet connection. Once you get rid of spotify, the songs put on your phone are gone. You never actually own them- its like renting them.
    Ah, okay. Makes sense. Yeah, that doesn't meet my needs unfortunately. I specifically want the music off my phone and in my mp3 player. Oh well.
  • Options
    Surely one less device to carry?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Surely one less device to carry?

Don't tell Neil Young that. :lol:;)
    Smartphones are way too big for a woman's pocket IMO (and I want the big screen on them). I use my phone for a lot of things, but music isn't one of them. I love my tiny Sony mp3 player.
  • Options
    I see!
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    edited December 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

MedozK said:

No downloading... Audio out from PC to DAC to Amp to Cassette Deck.. Press record.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Ive had Spotify for a couple years, started with free trial & went premium. I love it. I have a load of playlists ive made for whatever mood or genre im into at the moment. I have never NOT found a song or album, no matter how obscure. I have gobs of albums & i download everything for offline listening & i love being able to import from amazon, iTunes, stuff downloaded from online. I have one Playlist that is the only thing that can soothe me in times of trouble, (ie. everyday). It's now free for smartphones, but i still pay so i can "throw" music from laptop to pc to phone. I'm not sure what you're saying about Neil Young, i have a bunch of his stuff (i am a child & everybody knows this is nowhere are on my go to "singer/songwriter" playlist.)
    BTW, hi & happy holiday season ev1, ive been in & out of hospital for past 2 months. I missed youse guys. Seriously.
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    I read the Usage Agreement info and couldn't bring myself to sign up.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    I signed up a while ago when they has a $5/mo plan that got rid of the ads but only on the PC client. The mobile app still has ads and shuffle play, but I rarely listen to it on my mobile devices so it works out.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    dudeman said:

Brave one, you are. I used to read TOS before accepting or subscribing but I stopped.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I use Spotify every day. Absolutely love it. Keeps me up to date on the newest singles from artists I like, too. I like a wide array of stuff, so it can be difficult to keep up. Didn't know until recently they had a web player...so been listening at work all the time without having to download to the computer there.

Spotify is especially awesome this time of year when I cram in listening to all the albums I didn't get to in the past 11 months!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    njnancy said:

dudeman said:

Brave one, you are. I used to read TOS before accepting or subscribing but I stopped.
    The idea that Spotify is allowed access to everything on your computer if you accept their terms was too much for me. You allow them to use your processor and if they find something on your computer that they want to copyright and publish, they can.
  • Options
    dudeman said:

njnancy said:

dudeman said:

The idea that Spotify is allowed access to everything on your computer if you accept their terms was too much for me. You allow them to use your processor and if they find something on your computer that they want to copyright and publish, they can.
    I don't read terms of usage either, lol.
    Spotify is actually no worse than a lot of other apps. Meh. I understand the concern... but I just decided "fuck it" a long time ago. :lol: (and honestly, Spotify isn't going to do anything like that anyhow).
  • Options
    For a lot of people, there is probably nothing to worry about.

Maybe it's paranoia but I don't like the idea of forfeiting rights to my own property for the sake of a music streaming service.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Yeah, i get it. I can't seem to bring myself to care on a personal level, but I do at least empathize with people who more strongly reject when it comes to the whole online privacy issue, and on a non-personal level it is concerning (more when it comes to law enforcement and government serveilance though). Honestly, even now that you've sad this, I haven't even looked at the Spotify terms if use and probably won't ever bother.... if there was anything I felt protective of on my phone and computer, I might be concerned about what you're saying. But FWIW, Spotify cannot just take whatever it wants and own copyright to what's on your computer. That's not how it works.

But anyway, I am still not convinced I want to stick with Spotify. Not because I don't love it, and not because of any privacy fears. It's because of exactly what the guy is the following editorial is saying, and exactly the reason why the inability to actually download mp3s is what bothers me most about this service:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/why-i-have-to-quit-spotify/
  • Options
    I loved it but Apple Music absolutely destroys Spotify. I made the switch and never going back.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options

I loved it but Apple Music absolutely destroys Spotify. I made the switch and never going back.

I have heard the exact opposite from everyone else who has happened to mention it. You are literally the first person I have seen a good review on Apple Music from.
  • Options
    Interesting.... This is the first non-positive review I've heard. Haha.

All my friends wouldn't shut up about it and it's so perfect now that I have everything synced to my Mac desktop, iPhone and Sonos speaker setup. I guess it's just because it just seamlessly integrates with all my products.
    '08- Camden 1-2   '09- Chicago 2; Spectrum 1-4
    '10- MSG 1-2   '11- PJ20
    '12- MIA; DeLuna '13- Wrigley; Pitt; Brooklyn 1-2; Philly 1-2; Baltimore; Seattle
    '14- Denver   '16- Philly 1-2; MSG 2
    '17- Pilgrimage Music Fest (Eddie)
    '18- Fenway
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

Same here. Apple Music.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
    Spotify is really good for discovering new music, and as much as I love PJ...new music is always nice. Apple Music is similar, both are great avenues for listening to jams
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020