Options

Convert FLAC to WAV for CD burning?

dudemandudeman Posts: 2,973
edited December 2015 in Technical Stuff and Help
I'm pretty old school when it comes to music. This whole "digital download" business is something I admittedly don't really like or fully understand.

Anyway, I am willing to learn and grow so I am trying to figure it out.

When I download a show in flac format, will I be doing myself a disservice by converting the files to wav for cd burning?

I know enough to avoid mp3 if I have any interest in sound quality.

Thanks.
If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
Post edited by dudeman on

Comments

• Options
    After a little research, it looks like wav is a lossless format so I should be okay.

Side question : Is there a way to burn flac files directly to a cd? I have a Mac.
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    dudeman said:

After a little research, it looks like wav is a lossless format so I should be okay.

Side question : Is there a way to burn flac files directly to a cd? I have a Mac.

You answered your first question, you lose nothing going from FLAC to WAV for CD burning. To answer your second question, there are a number of apps that burn FLAC files to audio CD. I don't use a Mac, but check out this site for good FLAC info and a recommendation for Mac software to burn FLAC to audio CD: https://xiph.org/flac/documentation_tasks.html#osx
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    Thanks, Jeff!
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I think Toast Titanium burns FLAC to CD. You aren't losing any quality FLAC to WAV. It's just a 'burn-able' format for CD.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Awesome. Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I used to use an app called CDMax or MaxCD or something like that. Very lightweight utility for OSX. Unfortunately, support ended for it about 6 years ago. It handled a plethora of file formats. I used to convert FLAC to Apple lossless (ALAC), then import the ALAC files into iTunes and burn from there. You could burn directly from Max, but I preferred iTunes as I could print the cover it & tracklist with along with the burn.

I just got a new iMac about 2 months ago, and I haven't researched other file conversion apps yet. I need to, though. If you find anything worthy, please post what you find.
  • Options
    I used zamzar this time. They have a free version but it only lets you do 50 files per day. For some PJ shows, that cuts it pretty close. I did the Cincinnati, OH show from 10/1/14 and it took many hours. I will probably just pay for their service so I can do multiple files at once. It's easy to use, at least.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    xACT for Mac is what I've used for about 6 years now. No problems, ever. It was free if I recall.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385

xACT for Mac is what I've used for about 6 years now. No problems, ever. It was free if I recall.

xACT is great. Switch is another great program for Mac
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com