Options

Call to boycott stores with Black Thursday Sales

Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
Slowly Thanksgiving is being destroyed by these black Thursday sales. The premise that we spend one day a year just giving thanks for our families and what we already have is something we need to hold onto for our children and their children. Besides making employees of stores work during thanksgiving dinner hours we take the thought of why we have thanksgiving and flush it down the toilet. The only way to make these stores stop this horrible behavior is to not spend any money at them.

For all of you who like to argue on the right side of morality I have a challenge for you. Boycott any brick and mortar store wilh a sale on Thursday for the rest of this year. Target, Walmart and retailers count on a massive 4th quarter to meet end of year sale targets. The only way to stop this is to ruin their financial year. With Amazon and online retailers we do not need these stores anymore. Stand up and help take Thanksgiving back before it is lost forever.
Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
Fuckus rules all
Rob
Seattle

Comments

• Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,469
    I hear you, but will never happen. In this day and age, money talks and where people can save money...they will
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    The stores would not be open if people didn't go. I do not go shopping on Thursday, perhaps Friday but mostly to grocery or convenience stores. It is a damn shame these stores opening on Thursday.
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ani, I've neither been to nor will go to a black Friday thing. The fuck, really. Stand in line, battle other shoppers for shit, forsake precious time...and for what?

Nope and nope. If there's something I really "need", I'll either save for it or be able to afford it upfront...and yeah, do it online. Pretty much go the Amazon route and a few smaller companies like Lush.
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    edited November 2015
    i aint shopping dark friday but i'm not gonna hold it against those who will. maybe they wanna save some bucks. go ahead knock yourselves out. working the stores on thanksgiving & any other holiday might not bother everyone who is doing it. yep lots of dorks will be pushing & shoving over the latest nintendo game boy or whatever the heck they're called these days. one could easily smash some asshole in the mouth with a ladder or a bottle of fingernail polish remover after he/she got pushy at the lollipop stand

im good just taking care of me & mine
    Post edited by chadwick on
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    chadwick said:

i aint shopping dark friday but i'm not gonna hold it against those who will. maybe they wanna save some bucks. go ahead knock yourselves out. working the stores on thanksgiving & any other holiday might not bother everyone who is doing it. yep lots of dorks will be pushing & shoving over the latest nintendo game boy or whatever the heck they're called these days. one could easily smash some asshole in the mouth with a ladder or a bottle of fingernail polish remover after he/she got pushy at the lollipop stand

im good just taking care of me & mine

Much like the hokey-pokey (that's what it's all about - for the most part)
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    On board and telling friends and family as well.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    I don't even know what a black Thursday sale is. I thought it was Black Friday?
    What, is Thursday actual US Thanksgiving then? Wtf, why are there so many shoppers who want to do that? Where did the idea to create fire sales on Thanksgiving even come from in the first place? Seems weird.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    Yes, PJ Soul, we have become pathetic with the need to save a few bucks here in the US. Sales now start at 6pm on Thanksgiving. They kept bumping it up a few hours until it finally over-ran Thanksgiving dinner for a lot of people. My own parents are guilty of it and have now moved dinner up to 3pm so they can go shopping. This is one of a few times a year the whole extended familly is together and it is now scheduled around a sale rather than being together. I am not religious at all. To see what retailers did to Xmas, Easter and every other holiday is sad and is going to happen to Thanksgiving. At the rate we are going in 20 years Thanksgiving will be known for sales rather than giving thanks. Some smaller retailers have started pushing back but until the likes of Target and Walmart stop this will continue.

And thank you Callen. It is tough as many people stated but if we can screw them out of 10% of their sales it will make a difference.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options
    SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,922
    Thought this TJ Maxx commercial was good.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMRRyqXoJOw
  • Options
    Sheesh - I completely missed the "Thursday" part. Double what I said before!
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Don't these people that go shopping on Thanksgiving are missing what the real point of the holiday is? Why are they not drinking bloody marys and watching football while napping off copious amounts turkey consumption?

animals!
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    I'm wondering why pre-boxing day sales don't start on Christmas Day if Black Thursday has somehow become acceptable. Does the involvement of the word "Christ" somehow a line in the sand as far as greed goes?
    A new Christmas tradition could be for the whole family to pile in the car and head to the mall on Christmas morning, and everyone could just pick out their own gifts, lol. And then maybe stop at the food court for a nice Christmas meal. =)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    I had no idea they moved it up to Thursday now. as disgusting as it is, you can't blame the retailers. just supplying the demand. boxing day used to be the same; stores closed, a day of rest. now it's just DEALS DEALS DEALS. never shopped on boxing day or black friday, nor do I ever plan to.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited November 2015

I had no idea they moved it up to Thursday now. as disgusting as it is, you can't blame the retailers. just supplying the demand. boxing day used to be the same; stores closed, a day of rest. now it's just DEALS DEALS DEALS. never shopped on boxing day or black friday, nor do I ever plan to.

Yeah, I agree. The buyers drive the behaviour of the retailers. I blame the shoppers 100%.
    People who shop on boxing day are silly. Boxing day sales last for a week. No need to go and act like a lunatic in a mall the day after Christmas.
    Black Friday... I guess there are some in Vancouver now, but I don't think they're very busy. Canadians don't really seem to be buying into it.
    What I do like is special online retailer fire sale days. What is it called? Cyber Monday? That I can get on board with.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Here is a list of stores closed on Thanksgiving.

http://www.theblackfriday.com/stores-closed-on-thanksgiving-day.php

Bravo to them!!
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,960
    I don't shop either day unless I'm getting food or liquor. No desire whatsoever.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options

I don't shop either day unless I'm getting food or liquor. No desire whatsoever.

Yes! Though I tend to pre-stock on both =)
  • Options
    I must say that I really appreciate the non-government liquor stores being open on Thanksgiving and Christmas day. I wish they'd have fire sales too! ;)
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I must say that I really appreciate the non-government liquor stores being open on Thanksgiving and Christmas day. I wish they'd have fire sales too! ;)

we don't have those in Manitoba, dangit. I wish they'd privatize them already.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

Bummer! What a pain in the ass that must be. I really like having both kinds. The BC Liquor stores are great, especially the signature ones, because they have the best prices and a HUGE selection of everything, especially wines, and especially at the Signature stores (which also have extended hours - to 11pm, 6pm Sundays). And just recently the BC stores were finally allowed to sell cold stuff, so now they have fridges installed as well (god knows why there was a law preventing them from doing that before). But the private so-called cold beer and wine stores (which also carry spirits now - have for several years now) are all over the place and, while more expensive usually by a few bucks, are very convenient and easy to find, and are open 365 days a year. I'd say I frequent both evenly. Choice is good!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Bummer! What a pain in the ass that must be. I really like having both kinds. The BC Liquor stores are great, especially the signature ones, because they have the best prices and a HUGE selection of everything, especially wines, and especially at the Signature stores (which also have extended hours - to 11pm, 6pm Sundays). And just recently the BC stores were finally allowed to sell cold stuff, so now they have fridges installed as well (god knows why there was a law preventing them from doing that before). But the private so-called cold beer and wine stores (which also carry spirits now - have for several years now) are all over the place and, while more expensive usually by a few bucks, are very convenient and easy to find, and are open 365 days a year. I'd say I frequent both evenly. Choice is good!
    one thing I didn't like, when I visited a buddy in Vancouver in 1995 or so, the beer and wine stores closed at fucking 11pm. it was ridiculous!

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

And just recently the BC stores were finally allowed to sell cold stuff, so now they have fridges installed as well (god knows why there was a law preventing them from doing that before). But the private so-called cold beer and wine stores
    I could be wrong on the distance but the law was beer vending could not operate within 200yard of each other.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    I Always shop on Black Friday (well Thursday now). Its fun to be in the chaos. We usually get coffee, stand in line and just grab cheap movies and albums.

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

one thing I didn't like, when I visited a buddy in Vancouver in 1995 or so, the beer and wine stores closed at fucking 11pm. it was ridiculous!

Oh, there are still a LOT of ridiculous BC laws when it comes to alcohol! The 11pm thing is only the tip of the iceberg! BC is the worst province in the country when it comes to liquor laws..... Meanwhile, we already have 100+ stores selling weed in Vancouver. Go figure, lol.
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

Slowly Thanksgiving is being destroyed by these black Thursday sales. The premise that we spend one day a year just giving thanks for our families and what we already have is something we need to hold onto for our children and their children. Besides making employees of stores work during thanksgiving dinner hours we take the thought of why we have thanksgiving and flush it down the toilet. The only way to make these stores stop this horrible behavior is to not spend any money at them.

For all of you who like to argue on the right side of morality I have a challenge for you. Boycott any brick and mortar store wilh a sale on Thursday for the rest of this year. Target, Walmart and retailers count on a massive 4th quarter to meet end of year sale targets. The only way to stop this is to ruin their financial year. With Amazon and online retailers we do not need these stores anymore. Stand up and help take Thanksgiving back before it is lost forever.

Don't amazon and other online retailers have black friday sales, and have employees working on thanksgiving?

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

My first PJ show, at BC Place, we bailed half way thru Neil Young's set so that we could hit a liquor store before they closed (I know - but we were practically kids)....couldn't find one anywhere near the stadium, and by the time we did, it was closed. LIved in BC for nearly two years and the split stores / warm beer / early close drove me nuts. In AB most stores are open till 2AM. They are looking into allowing beer/wine sales in grocery stores, and the general consensus seems to be 'why put the private stores out of business for the sake of big chains, when there is already a store in basically every single strip mall in the province?'....prices skyrocketed when we privatized, but availability has increased huge.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Re Amazon being open on Thanksgiving: A lot of stores make working on stat holidays optional because they know they'll have no probs staffing the place because the staff gets paid overtime. Plenty of people WANT to work holidays for that very reason. In my experience, places ask their staff and work it out. Usually those without families are a good option on holidays, or people who don't celebrate the holiday in question at all. I.e. nothing wrong with having someone who didn't celebrate Thanksgiving to work! Same with Christmas. As far as Amazon goes... it's open 24/7/365 in any case, as most online stores are, so the issue is actually moot as far as they go in particular.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Anyone that foregoes family dinner on Thursday to go god damn shopping needs to buy me some 12 gauge shells and let me do ya a favor. What a bunch of horseshit. Can't wait ONE fucking day and go on Friday. No wonder this country sucks. No fucking value on anything except materials.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,875
    PJ_Soul said:

What a the difference between government an non-government liquor stores in Canada? Can you buy only certain things in each? Or only buy a case of beer rather than a six pack?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited November 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

Re Amazon being open on Thanksgiving: A lot of stores make working on stat holidays optional because they know they'll have no probs staffing the place because the staff gets paid overtime. Plenty of people WANT to work holidays for that very reason. In my experience, places ask their staff and work it out. Usually those without families are a good option on holidays, or people who don't celebrate the holiday in question at all. I.e. nothing wrong with having someone who didn't celebrate Thanksgiving to work! Same with Christmas. As far as Amazon goes... it's open 24/7/365 in any case, as most online stores are, so the issue is actually moot as far as they go in particular.

Amazon has massive warehouses and a lot of people are needed to keep the site running smoothly 24/7/365, right?...Including thanksgiving? If the point of the boycott is to not shop at places that are open thanksgiving, then why does the OP mention not needing walmart when we have amazon? Amazon is a bigger company than walmart....does the fact that we don't have to see and feel bad for the workers that day make it ok, or am I missing something?
    I agree - there are people who don't care and wouldn't mind making OT wages...if those places actually pay it.