Options

*** Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Fanviews Here 11/22/15 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,923
edited April 2016 in Given To Fly (live)
revised

Pearl Jam: Estadio Maracnã, Rio de Janeiro, BR. Nov 22 2015
Show Set List

Walk On Music-None
Band Onstage 09:05
band stops playing at midnight and takes bows and thanks the audience
Band Offstage 12:02

Set List
01. Oceans (Ed counts off the song but some confusion stops the song right away. Ed and Stone confer briefly and the song starts again)
02. Present Tense
03. Corduroy
04. Hail, Hail
05. Mind Your Manners
06. Do The Evolution
07. Amongst The Waves
(Ed addresses the audience in Portuguese. Noting it is the last show in Brazil but not the last show forever just this tour. The audience helps him a little with his pronunciation.)
08. Save You
09. Even Flow
10. Who You Are
11. Setting Forth
12. Not For You
13. Sirens-sing along outro (Boom’s keyboard had a malfunction for the first part of the song)
14. Given To Fly
15. Want You So Hard (Bad Boy News)-(Hughes, Homme) Eagles Of Death Metal cover. The band was playing a show in Paris at Le Bataclan when it was attacked by terrorists on November 13.
16. Comatose (The start of the song is a bit off. The band stops right away and Ed laughs “and then THAT happened!” The band starts the song again.)
17. Lukin
18. Rearviewmirror

Encore Break 1

(Ed asks the audience if they can see the moon tonight. He hopes it is still up there. “we live in a crazy world.”)
19. Yellow Moon
20. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
(Ed has the lights brought up so he can see the audience. He points out a man in the audience with a sign that reads “It’s My Birthday Can I please sing a song with you?” Ed says “It is your birthday? Now let’s see I saw you 3 days ago holding the same sign and a few days before that with the same sign. It must be nice to have every day be your birthday.” Ed says he will buy the guy a drink for sure and then they can think about singing.
He notes that other people are having anniversaries as well. Joe and Diane anniversary, (?) and Ashley-they are still fucking. Another couple is celebrating and anniversary. Various people in the audience indicate the lengths of their relationships. Ed says we have been a band for 25 years. Longer than anybody. And Jeff and Stone have been together how long? (30 years said in Portuguese). Let’s hear it for Jeff Ament and Stone Gossard for being together longer than anyone.)
21. Just Breathe
Transcription
I wanted to say…I wanted to send out a message. Playing these shows it feels like family. A really, really big family. And of course we are always concerned about safety. For yours, for ours, for the crew, for everybody. You know music can bring joy. It also can help you deal with anger. It can also help you with sadness. And when you get a gathering of people at a show all these things become more powerful because you are sharing them with all these other people at the same time. And it makes the senseless, senseless tragedy that occurred last week in Paris even more upsetting and the fact that it happened during concert with a great band and great Parisian fans it hurts us and breaks our hearts to the core and it broke our hearts even more when we and more deeply when we heard that someone, a really good man, a father of two, a great husband, great brother, a great son and he was always in the front row of the shows when we played in Europe. And we found out recently that he lost his life, when like all the others he deserved very much to still be living…so tonight we would like to ask…(Ed begins speaking Portuguese. I think he is saying that he wants to play the song for the family of Pierre-Antoine Henry)

22. Imagine-(Lennon)
23. Jeremy
24. Why Go
25. The Fixer
(Ed brings up the birthday man (Adu?(sp). The man is very pleased. Ed takes a swig of wine and passes the bottle to they guy who proceeds to take a very long pull on the bottle. Ed lets him sing the opening lines of Porch before taking over.)
26. Porch (Sings the end of the song from the barricade. Visits with Birthday Man)

Encore Break 2
(Ed in Portuguese. It appears he has been given a gift and thanks the audience and he continues in English say he has heard so many stories of fans from all over the world who don’t speak any Portuguese being taken in and treated like family. He thanks the Brazilian people for their generosity in treating fan who have travelled here to see the shows.)
27. Last Kiss-(Cochran)
(We really wanted to play this here. This is by a special man and good friend, Mr. Roger Waters)
28. Comfortably Numb-(Gilmour, Waters) {Ed plays piano during the outro solo}
29. Spin The Black Circle
30. Black
(Ed has some advice for people who can relate to the song Black because of someone in their life. He also says he wants to thank some people. In Portuguese he thanks by name many of the Brazilian locals that have been working and traveling with the band and Pearl Jam crew.)
31. Better Man (during the solo Mike and Ed rock out back to back. At the end of the song Ed smashes white Gibson SG.)
32. Alive- (draped in an a Brazilian flag with messages and autographs all over it Ed goes to the wings of the stage. Mike solos down at the barricade.)
33. Rockin' In The Free World-(Young) Jeff ends up wearing the Brazilian flag Ed had during the last song. Mike runs laps around the stage.)
(“They are telling us we have to stop so we will need to come back again.”) There is a very strict midnight curfew at the venue.
34. Yellow Ledbetter
(someone throws up a red pair of swim trunks. Ed asks “for me?” and shrugs. He ends up putting the trunks on over his pants and continues singing.)

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.

Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates.

Thank you!

Thanks John for the set list & notes.
Post edited by Kat on
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Ed smashed an sg!!!! Great set. Biggest crowd ever?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    Good stuff!! Pics/video should be fun!
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Oceans to start the show. So jealous.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    mcgruff10 said:

Ed smashed an sg!!!! Great set. Biggest crowd ever?

I think that for every nice guitar that is smashed by someone on stage, I should get two free equally as nice guitars. Seems fair to me
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    gettingrightgettingright Posts: 550
    edited November 2015
    Just got back. Absolutely amazing! Matt looked seriously possessed all night.
    Highlights for me include:
    Oceans to open
    Who you are (and all the no code songs)
    The crowd's excitement for even flow and last kiss- definitely not a piss break songs here!
    Touching tribute and eodm cover
    Imagine
    Save you
    Dude singing porch-he was really good
    Most hilarious moment is my excitement when Ed says we haven't played this one in awhile and the crushing disappointment when the fixer starts

Meeting and riding to and from the show with two New Yorkers

A wonderful crowd with great energy there was even a very friendly mosh pit during riafw

The strangest thing was there was not a merch booth anywhere in my section(inferior sul), and I didn't really spot any official merch on people anywhere. I saw a couple people carrying poster tubes but I didn't see any posters.
    Post edited by gettingright on
    "...what a different life had i not found this love with you..."
  • Options
    Truly epic show. LOVED that they played Fixer. So rare! Set list was amazing, crowd was fantastic. Can't think of a better end to my 2015 PJ tour!
    Stephen J. Kolinski
  • Options
    Another epic one!
    Couldn't believe my ears when I heard Oceans! That was the only one missing from Ten, for me. And being followed by Present Tense, just memorable start.
    Another highlights on the setlist for me were Who You Are, Setting Forth, Comatose, Why Go (which I never get tired of listening to live, sounds great!), Comfortably Numb (my favourite Pink Floyd song) and Spin the Black Circle.
    The stadium looked magnificent, both from the outside and the inside, if it wasn't sold out, you couldn't tell, 70k+ people singing all at once is a powerful thing.
    As for the crowd, well, it had its moments. From where I was standing, people seemed to connect only to the classics and pay literally no attention whatsoever to the other stuff (whether it was a song, or Eddie's speech), all everybody cared was to take a picture (thousands of them), film themselves pretending to sing, etc., I hate what technology has turned us into. I know I sound like the old person I am, but I live each show like if it was the last time I see them, so for me what matters the most during those three hours is the band and the music, not a silly vídeo.
    All and all, I really had a great time (sorry for the bitching part), Rio is a beautiful city.
    Can't wait for them to announce the next tour and hopefully make it to the next show.
    Thank you Pearl Jam!!!
  • Options
    Pierre-Antoine was my best friend and I am so happy the band got my message and paid a tribute to him at this show. If you have a video with what Eddie said before playing Imagine please send asap, thank you.
  • Options
    MateusCRMateusCR Rio de Janeiro, Brazil Posts: 2
    WOW. What a great show. Thank's god I realize my dream!!!!!!! Pearl jam Always making my day better, what a crowd, what a light, what a moon!! It was all fuckin' awesome.
    I just get a little disapointed with the late of 1 hour, somebody know what happened?
    Off he goes.
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    Where are you Dimi?
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    Ron The ShelfRon The Shelf London Posts: 80
    It will take some topping. PJ at the Maracana! Worth the 11 hour flight from England
    London Wembley Arena - Oct 28, 1996; Manchester Evening News Arena - Jun 04, 2000; ; ; Cardiff Arena - Jun 06, 2000; Seattle Key Arena - Dec 09, 2002; ; London Astoria - Apr 20, 2006; Portland Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall - Jul 20, 2006; Berlin Wuhlheide - Sep 23, 2006; London Wembley Arena - Jun 18, 2007; London Shepherd's Bush Empire - Aug 11, 2009; Berlin Wuhlheide - Aug 15, 2009; London O2 Arena - Aug 18, 2009; London Hyde Park - June 25, 2010; Berlin Wulheide - June 30, 2010; Alpine Valley PJ20 East Troy - Sep 03, 2011; Alpine Valley PJ20 East Troy - Sep 04, 2011; Berlin O2 Arena - July 04, 2012; Barclays Center, Brooklyn - October 18, 2013; Barclays Center, Brooklyn - October 19, 2013; San Siro, Milan - June 20, 2014; Milton Keynes - July 11, 2014; Central Park, New York - September 26, 2015; Maracana, Rio de Janeiro -November 22, 2015
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Great fun last night
    Great place to.be maracana..great energy and great vide..oceans.is always great to see live
    Last stop. For.me...im.very happy and pleased i did this trip
    After all the fuck up here in greece in economy with capitals controls and couldnt have access to our miney and bank close and all that crap..i.made it and saw 3 beautiful countries with friendly people...people smilling..polite..kind..helpfull..they live their lifes with passion
    Thank u South America...
    Thank you Chile.
    Thank.you Argentina
    Thank you Brazil
    A part of my heart is yours now
    Gracias
    Obrigada
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832

Pierre-Antoine was my best friend and I am so happy the band got my message and paid a tribute to him at this show. If you have a video with what Eddie said before playing Imagine please send asap, thank you.

so sorry for your loss and glad that you got to witness a tribute to him in person.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    An experience I will never forget. I am extremely fortunate to visit all of these amazing cities and catch a Pearl Jam show at the same time.

The stadium was packed. Who You Are came out of nowhere. Present tense is a great spot for the second song as it starts off chill but ends frenetically leading perfectly into the fast stuff. I was four back on Stone's side. Crowd was much more reserved than buenos Aires which was good as you didn't have to fight for your spot but wouldn't have minded the craziness.

Jeff was jumping around like a 20 year old as was Ed. They looked like they were having a great time. Tough to hear Mike on Stone's side but his Black solo was on fire. Seeing Stone and Jeff come close to us on the stage during Last Kiss was neat. I don't want to leave Rio but Bogota will be fun.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    And there was a drone video of Rio during Given to Fly. It was amazing seeing all of the scenery of Rio while jamming to Given to Fly!
  • Options
    Does anyone knows if the drone aerial footage (exhibited during Given to Fly) is available anywhere????
  • Options

And there was a drone video of Rio during Given to Fly. It was amazing seeing all of the scenery of Rio while jamming to Given to Fly!

That was amazing!!!
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Looks like an amazing show, Love this band, I just wish there were no guitars smashed in the process. Give them away instead!!
  • Options
    evsgjammevsgjamm Posts: 2,103
    SMASHING GUITARS IS ROCK 'N ROLL AT IN IT'S FINEST OF MOMENTS RANT OVER I LOVE YOU
    Vancouver '03, Paramount Theatre '05, Saskatoon '05, Calgary '05, Edmonton '05, Saskatoon '11, Calgary '11, Calgary '13

2010 WATCH IT GO TO FIRE!!
  • Options
    Um, no, smashing guitars is NOT rock and roll, playing them (loudly) and having a connection is rock and roll. instruments have soul. smashing them is disrespectful. rant over, for now.
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    hasn't that been done enough. play nicely with guitars
  • Options
    fabitakakifabitakaki São Paulo Posts: 6

Great fun last night
    Great place to.be maracana..great energy and great vide..oceans.is always great to see live
    After all the fuck up here in greece in economy with capitals controls and couldnt have access to our miney and bank close and all that crap..i.made it and saw 3 beautiful countries with friendly people...people smilling..polite..kind..helpfull..they live their lifes with passion
    Thank u South America...
    Thank you Chile.
    Thank.you Argentina
    Thank you Brazil
    Gracias
    Obrigada

De nada
    Volte sempre
  • Options
    RozbrRozbr Posts: 376

Great fun last night
    Thank u South America...
    Thank you Chile.
    Thank.you Argentina
    Thank you Brazil
    Gracias
    Obrigada

We talked a little bit before the show but you were busy with lots of friends haha
    I hope you liked our country and all the shows !
  • Options
    camilo.oliveiracamilo.oliveira São Paulo Posts: 6
    MateusCR said:

I just get a little disapointed with the late of 1 hour, somebody know what happened?

Some of my friends said that lots of people were still outside of the stadium at 8PM, so the band had to wait until more people get in.

As for the crowd, well, it had its moments. From where I was standing, people seemed to connect only to the classics and pay literally no attention whatsoever to the other stuff (whether it was a song, or Eddie's speech), all everybody cared was to take a picture (thousands of them), film themselves pretending to sing, etc.

I felt the same thing about the audience. I was in the pista, and some friends were at the Pista Premium (very close to the stage) and they told me the same thing.
    But it was still a great show and I'm very proud that I was there in a football temple like Maracanã, seeing my favorite band. My first time traveling alone to see a show and it was amazing.
  • Options
    BRWillyBRWilly DC Posts: 70
    Been a longtime fan, recent 10 clubber, few posts. Just had to say I find myself saying "wow" at each and every different setlist. This band is incredible. And I guess the only way to see the "best" setlist is to go to every show!
    Mansfield 6/30/08
    Boston 5/17/10
    Baltimore 10/27/13
    Central Park 9/26/15
    Philadelphia 4/29/16 (TEN)
    Fenway Park 8/5/16
    Fenway Park 9/4/18
    St. Paul 9/2/23

Ev Solo Providence 6/15/11
  • Options
    wishlisa76wishlisa76 Sweden Posts: 806

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and to his family and friends.
    "I gather speed from you fucking with me"

PJ in Stockholm, Sweden, 7th July 2012. EV solo in London, 31st July 2012. PJ in Stockholm 28th of June 2014. PJ in Milton Keynes UK, 11th of July 2014, Eddie solo in London 6th of June 2017. PJ London 18th of June, 2018, and 17th of July, 2018.
  • Options
    anapaulaanapaula Rio de Janeiro Posts: 14
    It was the best PJ concert I've ever been to. I was on the second row, center rail, the setlist was incredible, the band was having fun, Eddie wearing speedos and drinking cachaça.

When I go to concerts I don't care if others in the crowd know the lyrics or not, if they're there to hear one song only or whatever. I don't think there should be a fandom competition. I've seen people judge how others enjoyed their experience, I think it's pointless.

Not everyone in Brazil speaks English, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't enjoy the beat and the vibe of music.

I came across a lot of awesome people on all 5 shows, from all over Brazil and the world. It has already been said, even by Eddie Vedder himself, that we welcomed everyone with open arms. But I had a very bad experience with a couple of people from overseas, that thought that just because they've been touring with the band and sleeping in lines for a few shows, they had some kind of authority over us. They were rude and violent people, that treated others like they were nothing and made fun of our language and our culture. I hope I never see them again.

One of my favorite moments was Just Breathe, the song I always sing on my mind for my late mother. Those were 5 unforgettable nights.

• Options
    anapaula said:

It was the best PJ concert I've ever been to. I was on the second row, center rail, the setlist was incredible, the band was having fun, Eddie wearing speedos and drinking cachaça.

When I go to concerts I don't care if others in the crowd know the lyrics or not, if they're there to hear one song only or whatever. I don't think there should be a fandom competition. I've seen people judge how others enjoyed their experience, I think it's pointless.

Not everyone in Brazil speaks English, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't enjoy the beat and the vibe of music.

I came across a lot of awesome people on all 5 shows, from all over Brazil and the world. It has already been said, even by Eddie Vedder himself, that we welcomed everyone with open arms. But I had a very bad experience with a couple of people from overseas, that thought that just because they've been touring with the band and sleeping in lines for a few shows, they had some kind of authority over us. They were rude and violent people, that treated others like they were nothing and made fun of our language and our culture. I hope I never see them again.

One of my favorite moments was Just Breathe, the song I always sing on my mind for my late mother. Those were 5 unforgettable nights.

I agree when you talk about the rude fans who touring with the band, In São Paulo a guy from canada assaulted several people to across from one side to the other, including women, it was unbelievable.
    Curitiba, Brazil - 11.30.2005
    São Paulo, Brazil - 12.02.2005
    São Paulo, Brazil - 12.03.2005
    São Paulo, Brazil - 11.14.2015
  • Options
    anapaulaanapaula Rio de Janeiro Posts: 14
    Pedro Jam said:

I agree when you talk about the rude fans who touring with the band, In São Paulo a guy from canada assaulted several people to across from one side to the other, including women, it was unbelievable.

Exactly... that guy was unbelievable. I almost got hit by him. So disrespectful, acting like he owned the place. I hope I never see him again.
  • Options
    anapaula said:

I tell u something
    There are rude people for sure
    But i was with alot of travelers 25 days to 3 countries ar SA and all i met amd me including had the best time.we have so much respect to your country and your culture and we loved brazil..odrigado for everything and for make us feel so wellcomed and loved..thanks