Options

CALLING ALL DRUMMERS

mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858
I don't play drums so I'm seeking some help. I love Matt Cameron but am not a big fan of his sound on the newer tours/boots (more specifically his snare). Listening to the 2013-2014 boots compared to the 1998 through 2006 boots, his snare on the earlier tours sounded so much better than it does today. I'm not sure what it is, but I know some of you have an opinion on this and can give me some technical guidance and even your two cents.
Milwaukee 2014
MSG 2016 1&2
Wrigley 2016 1&2
Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
London 2018 1
Wrigley 2018 1&2
St. Louis 2020

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    I think he switched kits. Can't remember from what to what though.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    Ive been playing drums for a little while, about ten years now. So much depends on how the boots are mixed, not necessarily Matt's actual tone at the show. I personally find Matt's tone on 2011-2014 boots to be just as good as 2000. 2005, 2008,and 2009 are the weakest (in my ears). But again, I think so much has to do with how the boots are mixed, not Matt's actual tone or drum kit at the show. All of Matt's kits are capable of making similar tones, but tunings will vary from tour to tour. Sometimes he prefers a fatter, warm sound. Other years he seems to prefer a more natural open tone. His snare in 2000 is clearly more muffled, less natural. It has essentially no natural ring or resonance. Its more a "rock" or "fat" sound. 2005 boots his snare sounds much more ringy and open. I hope this answers your question.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    mschostokmschostok Chicago, IL Posts: 858

Ive been playing drums for a little while, about ten years now. So much depends on how the boots are mixed, not necessarily Matt's actual tone at the show. I personally find Matt's tone on 2011-2014 boots to be just as good as 2000. 2005, 2008,and 2009 are the weakest (in my ears). But again, I think so much has to do with how the boots are mixed, not Matt's actual tone or drum kit at the show. All of Matt's kits are capable of making similar tones, but tunings will vary from tour to tour. Sometimes he prefers a fatter, warm sound. Other years he seems to prefer a more natural open tone. His snare in 2000 is clearly more muffled, less natural. It has essentially no natural ring or resonance. Its more a "rock" or "fat" sound. 2005 boots his snare sounds much more ringy and open. I hope this answers your question.

Definitely helps, thanks so much. So what are you thoughts on Jack Irons snare? I absolutely love his snare sound, especially in shows like Soldier Field. Idk what it is, it just sounds so raw.
    Milwaukee 2014
    MSG 2016 1&2
    Wrigley 2016 1&2
    Eddie Vedder Obama Farewell Address 2017
    Eddie Vedder Louisville, KY 2017
    London 2018 1
    Wrigley 2018 1&2
    St. Louis 2020
  • Options
    TamaDrummer91TamaDrummer91 VA Posts: 1,289
    You're very welcome. I don't typically listen to unofficial boots, but Jack's snare tone on No Code is my favorite snare tone period. It has such warmth, snare sensitivity, and "pop." Its a beautiful snare tone, and somewhat hard to duplicate in my opinion. I agree, I love his overall tone.
    2008: Bonnaroo
    2010: Bristow
    2012: Atlanta
    2013: Charlottesville, Charlotte
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Greenville, Hampton, Raleigh (cancelled), Columbia, Lexington

For your bootleg review needs or recommendations- http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/