Options

Learn from your Mistakes

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
edited November 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
We learn from our mistakes and we learn from the mistakes of others - we are always in a state of learning. Do we ever have the opportunity to progress through life - to be aware of new information - but not learn it? I'm not suggesting that we remain ignorant, but I think "learn" has too much energy.

I just want to know something and move on. Must I learn it first?
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Pain through attachment presents a lesson. A mantra I've failed as much as I've succeeded in getting in tune with now for awhile.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Depends on if you equate knowledge with learning, I suppose. Need to be open to both...?

I do think some people willfully, maybe even subconsciously, refuse to learn. Refuse to open their eyes and/or mind.

Sometimes just the realization of "huh, I didn't know that" is enough. Goes through my mind frequently, that's for sure.
  • Options
    When I feel pain I know I am alive. As I grow older there have been times when I valued pain because it meant that I was focused on the present.

So you learned about pain/attachment and you learned about failure/succeeding and you learned about attachment/now. Can that knowledge be unlearned but still a part of you?
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    I think the real question is "can you understand"...it's easy just to memorize facts, but to actually understand something I believe has more power.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

I think the real question is "can you understand"...it's easy just to memorize facts, but to actually understand something I believe has more power.

I think that's it. That makes sense.
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

When I feel pain I know I am alive. As I grow older there have been times when I valued pain because it meant that I was focused on the present.

So you learned about pain/attachment and you learned about failure/succeeding and you learned about attachment/now. Can that knowledge be unlearned but still a part of you?

As I grow older, I feel the opposite ;)

I do get what you're saying, but does pain trump pleasure in terms of being in the moment, living it for better or worse, as it is?

• Options

As I grow older, I feel the opposite ;)

I do get what you're saying, but does pain trump pleasure in terms of being in the moment, living it for better or worse, as it is?

I have an idea that after living there is no pain. So with how I see it I see pain as not being better than pleasure, but a better indicator that i am alive, and since pain is painful and full of nerve endings it's a way to feel "now" better.

• Options
    This is an interesting perspective (though do believe, at least for myself, that both spectrums affect nerves, hormones, mind...self) - but your view is one I haven't considered, and deserving of more thought on my part.

Thank you.
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    im happy someone else is learning and i dont mean pj.. :)
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Ms. Haiku said:

We learn from our mistakes and we learn from the mistakes of others - we are always in a state of learning. Do we ever have the opportunity to progress through life - to be aware of new information - but not learn it? I'm not suggesting that we remain ignorant, but I think "learn" has too much energy.

You learn from mistakes, but you also learn from successes. But sometimes you were successful based on a different factor that you thought you learned, but were wrong about, so you refine what you learned from that success/failure too.

Learning, to me, is understanding the cause and effect of something and be able to successfully apply it elsewhere. Information can be acquired by our brains, but it won't always be learned and your brain wont then be able to apply it. Knowledge/facts can be acquired and known, but principles, processes, and concepts must be learned.

If you just know something (a fact) and move on, there is no chance for you to apply/correlate/refine that fact to another piece of knowledge that you also know and turn it into something you learned/better understood.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I feel we all have to make sense of our world or just our daily experiences.

If we are able to understand or make some useful observations about our experiences, we are able to avoid the unpleasant ones and seek out the more rewarding ones in the future.

I think that's what it means to "learn" from our lives.
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,716
    I don't see learning from mistakes as "that happened to me so I wont do that again" or "that happened to me so I will do it this way instead". I think its more like "that happened to me so next time I'll have better tools to move in a direction that is healthier or has better consequences". I don't see ever getting it all down just right. They say a poem is never finished or perfected but rather, it is abandoned. That's how life is too. You work at it as best you can until it is time to let go.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited November 2015
    OP
    If you were like me you wouldn't make any mistakes because you would know everything. :grin:
    Seriously.

It's hard to define in your life at what age you became learned.
    At some point you will know and will share advice with others.
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options

OP
    If you were like me you wouldn't make any mistakes because you would know everything. :grin:
    Seriously.

I think knowing that we're not learned is learning in itself. Like realizing you may know some shit, but really, you know shit.

If that shit makes sense.

• Options
    hedonist said:

OP
    Seriously.

I think knowing that we're not learned is learning in itself. Like realizing you may know some shit, but really, you know shit.

I got shit.
  • Options

hedonist said:

OP
    Seriously.

I got shit.
    I got memories.

I win :cowboy:
  • Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

OP
    Seriously.

I got shit.
    I got memories.

I win :cowboy:
    What did you learn from this lesson grasshoppa....
  • Options
    Id, ego, and superego - all (and shit) play a part.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    hedonist said:

OP
    Seriously.

Hedo be paraphrasin' Socrates like whaaaaa :wink:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    I really don't think it's just a trite cliche that the more you know the more you know you don't know.

So-crates eh Ted? :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Paraphrasin' and trading stories with some lovely leaves :)

This, for me, in its essence, is what learning (from anywhere, anyhow, any way I choose) is.

Clarity, exhaling, green.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZU0SvCfHJs
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    brianlux said:

They say a poem is never finished or perfected but rather, it is abandoned. That's how life is too. You work at it as best you can until it is time to let go.

Very cool way to look at this - it's a way for me to "understand" as referenced by RKCNDY.

All cool comments. I'm learning from you all. . . :)
    I'm gaining a new perspective - applying new information to existing ideas to see if ideas still work.
    I understand.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I really don't think it's just a trite cliche that the more you know the more you know you don't know.

This is SO true Brianlux.

When I was young I remember I thought people who had lots of education knew so very much and yet once I was very well educated and worked with other very educated people I realized that we all only had a depth of knowledge for a VERY NARROW part of our field. It was enlightening. You can get 10 professors in a room and they each have a different little bag of knowledge that covers their narrow little specialty!

And, I realized it's a rare person who is broad and deep. :) (!!!)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    justam said:

brianlux said:

When I was young I remember I thought people who had lots of education knew so very much and yet once I was very well educated and worked with other very educated people I realized that we all only had a depth of knowledge for a VERY NARROW part of our field. It was enlightening. You can get 10 professors in a room and they each have a different little bag of knowledge that covers their narrow little specialty!

It's the old "Some people can tell you the square root of a pickle jar but can't open it"
  • Options
    I think it's more that they can do amazing things in their little corner of expertise but they don't know everything about everything!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    People who have done extensive research on a subject learned, and learned, and learned, and then one day there isn't anything to learn. They were at a point where they used their creativity to find what is new/non-existent that may be of value.

It happens with new trends in music.

I think that is what "understanding" involves. I gain knowledge until I have the chance to abandon learning, and then I become inspired with what I know to create something new.
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    Ms. Haiku said:

That's one to ponder, when I have more time. BUT had to say so nice to see you again around these parts Ms Haiku. Its been a while.
  • Options
    justam said:

brianlux said:

Good points, Justam.

Also, any of us who have had teenagers in our lives know that they truly believe they have all the knowledge in the world, haha!

• Options
    brianlux said:

Also, any of us who have had teenagers in our lives know that they truly believe they have all the knowledge in the world, haha!

I knew everything 30 years ago!

• Options

BUT had to say so nice to see you again around these parts Ms Haiku. Its been a while.

It's great to be here, PureandEasy!