Options

NBC Concerned about Jimmy Fallon's Excessive Drinking

Comments

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

David Letterman was an alcoholic and hosted a late night show.

...and better than anyone else, I might add.

I'm confused, so Fallon is not a "raging drunk," but rather a high functioning alcoholic...like Dave?
    I personally don't think Fallon is either. I think he just likes to party - he seems to be a binge drinker.
    i think it is safe to say none of us have any idea what he is...
    Ha, well no, it's all conjecture. That's just my theory based on everything I know about Fallon and from observation (I am a Fallon fan, so kind of know what he's up to, since he is so active on social media. But yeah, maybe he's hiding in the bathroom at home and chugging vodka that he stashed in the toilet tank. If so, he's doing pretty fucking well).
    In any case, I have hurt myself that many times in as little time before - clumsiness combined with bad luck. And it really is true that if you're already injured you're more likely to hurt yourself. Your coordination is off when you've got an injury.
    are you stalking jimmy?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,600
    edited November 2015
    Plenty of rumors out there that he doesn't shy away from the nose candy. No idea if it's true but have heard it from different people in New York.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

David Letterman was an alcoholic and hosted a late night show.

...and better than anyone else, I might add.

I'm confused, so Fallon is not a "raging drunk," but rather a high functioning alcoholic...like Dave?
    I personally don't think Fallon is either. I think he just likes to party - he seems to be a binge drinker.
    i think it is safe to say none of us have any idea what he is...
    Ha, well no, it's all conjecture. That's just my theory based on everything I know about Fallon and from observation (I am a Fallon fan, so kind of know what he's up to, since he is so active on social media. But yeah, maybe he's hiding in the bathroom at home and chugging vodka that he stashed in the toilet tank. If so, he's doing pretty fucking well).
    In any case, I have hurt myself that many times in as little time before - clumsiness combined with bad luck. And it really is true that if you're already injured you're more likely to hurt yourself. Your coordination is off when you've got an injury.
    are you stalking jimmy?
    No. I follow him on Twitter, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,455

PJ_Soul said:

This could explain why he was not always on his game.
    Known to break character often during SNL it got old after awhile.
    He laughed during skits but one too many.
    Now he is on primetime.
    The whispers have now become talk.

Maybe it also explains why he first got his own show and was then hired to host the Tonight Show?? ... No raging drunk does as well as he's doing.
    apologize if i am missing the sarcasm but there are plenty of hugely successful drunks out there-

http://www.listal.com/list/hi-im-celebrity-alcoholic
    it's easy to be a drunk actor/writer/rockstar etc. little tougher to get away with it when you're a 9 to 5er.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,323
    NBC Executive Says 'The Tonight Show' Host 'Doesn't Have a Drinking Problem'
    “He’s good, he doesn’t have a drinking problem,” Bob Greenblatt told reporters Wednesday at the Television Critics Press tour in Los Angeles. “He goes out and has fun. He’s had some accidents."
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    http://www.vulture.com/2016/09/with-his-trump-interview-fallon-became-jay-leno.html?mid=facebook_vulture

Fallon further cements himself as a cooler Jay Leno (but with dumb, stale, games!)...

I mean...come on. How are you going to have fucking Trump on, at a time like this, and not even make an attempt to ask him some real questions? Look, nobody takes Fallon seriously but there is a tradition of a late night host having some kind of impact when having an important guest on. There are ways of asking a tough question or two without offending the guest so much that he chooses not to come on the show again. Letterman did it, expertly, for years. Instead.....Jimmy plays with his hair and makes him actually look human. Kellyanne Conway must've been so happy. I guess Fallon's cool with just being a lightweight.

Really wish Trump had the balls to go on Colbert's show instead

BRING BACK DAVE!
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    I think this whole thing about Fallon and Trump is insane, frankly. Why in the fuck would anyone expect Jimmy Fallon to do a hard hitting interview??? So silly.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,323
    edited September 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

I think this whole thing about Fallon and Trump is insane, frankly. Why in the fuck would anyone expect Jimmy Fallon to do a hard hitting interview??? So silly.

Doesn't have to be hard hitting. Letterman could do the interviews that were funny and playful but also informative and at times uncorfortable at the same time. But I don't why people thought Fallon would give such an interview though
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Nobody expected a hard hitting interview but they expected more than just kissing Trump's ass as if he was a member of One Direction or something.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016

PJ_Soul said:

Nobody expected a hard hitting interview but they expected more than just kissing Trump's ass as if he was a member of One Direction or something.

Why would anyone expect that? That's what I am saying. There was no reason to ever even think that Fallon might do that. That isn't what he does. He never has. And this isn't the first time he'd had Trump on. He didn't do that then, so why would people suddenly expect him to change? Makes no sense.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

Why would anyone expect that? That's what I am saying. There was no reason to ever even think that Fallon might do that. That isn't what he does. He never has. And this isn't the first time he'd had Trump on. He didn't do that then, so why would people suddenly expect him to change? Makes no sense.
    Why? Lol...Oh I dunno...maybe because it was kind of an interesting week in the world of politics. Sort of a lot of crazy important things happening that Fallon apparently was oblivious to.

Like I said--nobody expected Jimmy Fallon of all people to conduct a hard hitting interview. But when you have a candidate for president on your show (especially one as divisive as Trump), less than 2 months away from the election, I think he has an obligation to at least not kiss his ass like he does with every other celebrity. But, alas, Fallon appeals to the lowest common denominator and is afraid to offend literally anyone like his predecessor...so I guess you have a point.

If Trump wins, Fallon playing with his hair will be remembered the same way Clinton's sax solo on Arsenio Hall is (however, Arsenio conducted an actual interview on that show).
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I really just don't understand why or how this matters in any way whatsoever. I am surpr9sed people are talking about it, let alone giving a shit.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, I really just don't understand why or how this matters in any way whatsoever. I am surpr9sed people are talking about it, let alone giving a shit.

Because pop culture moments like that factor into an election. With 3 million or so people watching, I was hoping for at least one or two legitimate questions or some semblance of an intelligent conversation.

Guess I just wish there was more substance to Fallon's humor. It's all just basic fluff. And if that's the case, just stick to celebrities and stupid games.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,600
    I liked Fallon but that sucked. So fucking weak. No spine
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

PJ_Soul said:

Because pop culture moments like that factor into an election. With 3 million or so people watching, I was hoping for at least one or two legitimate questions or some semblance of an intelligent conversation.

Guess I just wish there was more substance to Fallon's humor. It's all just basic fluff. And if that's the case, just stick to celebrities and stupid games.
    Good god, yes to that.

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    I think Fallon's voice is soothing.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    Fallon should have done something hard-hitting like testing Trump's pre-opened pickle jar opening skills
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818

I don't watch Fallon for political BS, I watch it for humor...plenty of other channels and people who can do those type of interviews...if that's what your looking for in a late night show then you need to tune elsewhere as Fallon has never and will never be a Letterman shill

• Options
    pjalive21 said:

I don't watch Fallon for political BS, I watch it for humor...plenty of other channels and people who can do those type of interviews...if that's what your looking for in a late night show then you need to tune elsewhere as Fallon has never and will never be a Letterman shill

I agree. I am very, very interested in politics, and no one hates Trump more than me, but I like Fallon as a break from that. I think his show is just fun, he brings out the fun in his guests, and he puts a really positive spin on things. That's what he does, and it's what makes him unique. Anyone who is mad, disappointed, disdainful, judgemental, or anything else about how he was too soft on Trump is simply suffering from extremely misguided expectations. If you don't enjoy Fallon, great. That's why there are so many late night talk show hosts - something for every taste and mood. But why get pissy when he remains consistent? Frankly, I think seeing Fallon trying to get all serious and political with Trump would be the most awkward thing ever. It's just not what he does and jot the kind of person or host that he is.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

pjalive21 said:

I agree. I am very, very interested in politics, and no one hates Trump more than me, but I like Fallon as a break from that. I think his show is just fun, he brings out the fun in his guests, and he puts a really positive spin on things. That's what he does, and it's what makes him unique. Anyone who is mad, disappointed, disdainful, judgemental, or anything else about how he was too soft on Trump is simply suffering from extremely misguided expectations. If you don't enjoy Fallon, great. That's why there are so many late night talk show hosts - something for every taste and mood. But why get pissy when he remains consistent? Frankly, I think seeing Fallon trying to get all serious and political with Trump would be the most awkward thing ever. It's just not what he does and jot the kind of person or host that he is.
    Fun = Fluff
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/samantha-bee-slams-jimmy-fallon-nbc-for-softball-donald-trump-interview_us_57e12dbbe4b0071a6e095c1f

Samantha Bee Perfectly States The Problem With Jimmy Fallon’s Donald Trump Interview
    “I guess because ratings matter more than brown people.”
    09/20/2016 09:51 am ET

Carly Ledbetter Entertainment Writer, The Huffington Post

Samantha Bee isn’t happy with Jimmy Fallon and NBC’s lighthearted treatment of Donald Trump.

During her “Full Frontal” monologue on Monday night, the host called out Fallon for his chummy interview with the Republican presidential candidate and his employer for its tendency to go for ratings gold over substance.

“Why do so many Americans think playing footsie with fringe hate groups isn’t a disqualifier from polite society, much less the presidency?” Bee asked her viewers. “Maybe because that’s the message they get from entertainment giants like NBC.”

Bee said the network “tacitly condoned a race-baiting demagogue,” supporting Trump (and his NBC show, “The Celebrity Apprentice”) while he spewed birther theories about President Obama.

The talk show host also pointed out that it took his calling Mexicans “rapists” for NBC to cut ties with Trump in 2015. Even then, the network still invited the GOP candidate back to host “Saturday Night Live” a few months later, and, last week, to pal around with Fallon on “The Tonight Show.”
    NBC via Getty Images
    Pals.

“I guess because ratings matter more than brown people,” Bee said. “Sure, he’s making life palpably dangerous for Muslims and immigrants, but, hey, he’s good entertainment!”

She then explained exactly why NBC would choose to bring Trump back onscreen: “Network execs and a lot of their audience can ignore how very dangerous Trump is, because, to them, he isn’t.”

“They’re not gonna be deported. They’re not gonna live under a president who thinks of them as a collection of sex toys. They’re not racist. They just don’t mind if other people are, which is just as bad,” she concluded.

Tell em, Bee!

Editor’s note: Donald Trump regularly incites political violence and is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, misogynist and birther who has repeatedly pledged to ban all Muslims — 1.6 billion members of an entire religion — from entering the U.S.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    None of this is the publics business.
    will myself to find a home, a home within myself
    we will find a way, we will find our place
  • Options
    http://www.advocate.com/comedy/2016/9/16/comedians-eviscerate-jimmy-fallons-shameful-trump-pandering

this is the best one--

"I heard you were responsible for like 30 million deaths. That's crazy." Jimmy Fallon interviewing Stalin

— (((Andy Kindler))) (@AndyKindler) November 17, 2012

hahaha

Again--if Fallon is incapable of having an adult conversation or is too afraid of offending people to not even ask one or two half way legitimate questions, then stick to the shallow celebrities and dumb games.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    Maybe he isn't a liberal who feels it's his duty to attack Trump. Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Jason P said:

Maybe he isn't a liberal who feels it's his duty to attack Trump. Just a thought.

So you have to be a liberal to ask a legitimate question or two? The Clinton interview was almost as bad.

If you're not capable of asking grown up questions to these candidates then why have them on your show, especially with just 6 weeks before the election?

And, by they way, you could've easily substituted "conservative" for "liberal" because Trump is just as insulting to actual conservatives as he is to liberals.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

Jason P said:

So you have to be a liberal to ask a legitimate question or two? The Clinton interview was almost as bad.

If you're not capable of asking grown up questions to these candidates then why have them on your show, especially with just 6 weeks before the election?

And, by they way, you could've easily substituted "conservative" for "liberal" because Trump is just as insulting to actual conservatives as he is to liberals.
    It is only liberals that are bashing him for not doing something he is not known for doing. And it highlights how liberal media is.

He is on the show because he is currently famous. Peyton Manning comes on your show after winning the SB, you don't drill him on what may have happened in his Tennessee days or HGH rumors if you are an entertainment host even though it's a grown up question.

Letterman is a super liberal, thus why he would attack Trump.
  • Options
    Jimmy Kimmel was celebrated in the media for showing how strong and healthy Clinton is with a pre-opened pickle jar. Is that the definition of grown up late night hard hitting journalism?
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    people who expected Jimmy Fallon to ask tough questions either don't know Jimmy Fallon's show or are idiots. really people this is the guy you expected to ask hard hitting questions? the guy who giggles like a school girl 25 times a show?
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    edited September 2016
    :giggle: I probably would enjoy a night of drinking with Fallon.
    Post edited by Malroth on
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.