Options

NBC Concerned about Jimmy Fallon's Excessive Drinking

I've heard rumors about him getting into accidents because of being drunk. But thought it was just from people who didn't like him
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3299561/He-s-mess-Insiders-say-NBC-worried-Jimmy-Fallon-s-drinking-getting-control-Tonight-host-injures-time-four-months.html?ito=social-facebook
I miss igotid88

Comments

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    He tripped and fell and his wedding band got caught on the table and nearly took his finger off? Not trying to be funny here, but is it possible that his spouse is beating him?
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    I have heard some stories from his college days and much much more recently. Dude parties.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    Dude should be more careful. I'm not against partying though. If he is an alcoholic, that's one thing, and a real problem. If he just likes to party, sounds like fun! He needs to just slow down a be a bit more cautious so that he doesn't hurt himself so often. FWIW, he wasn't even drinking when he had his worst injury - his finger. So it's really not fair to include that in the list of injuries to be worried about. Also, it really is likely that his injured finger has had a lot to do with the other injuries. A hurt hand can definitely cause added clumsiness. I doubt that it's just a coincidence that the other injuries all came after the first and worst one.
    At any rate, this article is probably fucking embarrassing for him.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Sprunkn7Sprunkn7 Posts: 5,277
    I heard rumors a few years ago but all this media coverage really shows us is just bad luck and some social drinking. If I had someone taking pictures of me every time I was out in public I would be considered an alcoholic for sure. I have wine with dinner, a few drinks at a social event...blah blah blah.
    Falling over a bent down person doesn't make you a fall down drunk, Even if I read it on the internet a hundred times, if the dude hasn't gotten busted DUI or have a video puking his brains out, or weaving and slurring (Johnny Depp anyone?) I don't believe a word of it.
    There certainly could be something there but this article proves absolutely nada...
    Thank you fellow 10 clubber for saving my ass....again!!!
  • Options
    Sprunkn7 said:

I heard rumors a few years ago but all this media coverage really shows us is just bad luck and some social drinking. If I had someone taking pictures of me every time I was out in public I would be considered an alcoholic for sure. I have wine with dinner, a few drinks at a social event...blah blah blah.
    Falling over a bent down person doesn't make you a fall down drunk, Even if I read it on the internet a hundred times, if the dude hasn't gotten busted DUI or have a video puking his brains out, or weaving and slurring (Johnny Depp anyone?) I don't believe a word of it.
    There certainly could be something there but this article proves absolutely nada...

Totally agree.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    I am very worried for Jimmy.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    This could explain why he was not always on his game.
    Known to break character often during SNL it got old after awhile.
    He laughed during skits but one too many.
    Now he is on primetime.
    The whispers have now become talk.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I am very worried for Jimmy.

Jimmy is very worried for Jimmy.
  • Options

Now he is on primetime.

Maybe it also explains why he first got his own show and was then hired to host the Tonight Show?? ... No raging drunk does as well as he's doing.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601

Now he is on primetime.

Pretty sure he broke character because he thought it was funny.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Now he is on primetime.

Maybe it also explains why he first got his own show and was then hired to host the Tonight Show?? ... No raging drunk does as well as he's doing.
    apologize if i am missing the sarcasm but there are plenty of hugely successful drunks out there-

http://www.listal.com/list/hi-im-celebrity-alcoholic
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I was just gonna say^^
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,354
    ldent42 said:

I was just gonna say^^

Me too
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    A raging drunk would be stumbling around, missing the beat, etc. Many of the people on that list are or were absolute train wrecks btw, and there is no way in hell most of them, if any, could have hosted a talk show every night while they were at their worst (that list also has Amy Winehouse on it, lol. I would not call her a functional alcoholic in life or death!). I feel like that list just proved my point. There is no way he could have become the host of the Tonight Show if he was like any of those listed when they had a problem with alcohol.
    Note that I never claimed no one who ever had a problem with alcohol could be famous or successful.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    David Letterman was an alcoholic and hosted a late night show.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:

He wasn't a raging drunk. We all know the difference between a raging drunk and a functional alcoholic, right?
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

He wasn't a raging drunk. We all know the difference between a raging drunk and a functional alcoholic, right?
    Yes ma'am or sir
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    igotid88 said:

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

Yes ma'am or sir
    :lol: Ma'am. ;)
    I have a couple of good friends who are functional alcoholics and have been basically forever. They are both doing very well, actually. Particularly successful. Very responsible and reliable. It's kind of strange, but I'm glad they're maintaining. I guess you just keep on eye on them to make sure they don't fall off the deep end one day. Hard to imagine after so many years of smooth sailing, but you never know.
    I feel like Fallon is just a partier. A binge drinker maybe (I am binge drinker too I guess, if that means downing a bunch of drinks when I'm partying. I can hold a lot of booze!).
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,756
    Lets start with this.....

Define alcoholic then functional on top of that.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    mickeyrat said:

An HFA (high-functioning alcoholic) is an alcoholic who is able to maintain his or her outside life, such as a job, home, family, and friendships, all while drinking alcoholically.

And being an alcoholic means that you are addicted to alcohol. I.e. if you don't drink you experience withdrawal symptoms (and the compulsion to drink is uncontrollable).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:

An HFA (high-functioning alcoholic) is an alcoholic who is able to maintain his or her outside life, such as a job, home, family, and friendships, all while drinking alcoholically.

And being an alcoholic means that you are addicted to alcohol. I.e. if you don't drink you experience withdrawal symptoms.
    So then, how does alcoholism manifest itself? What does addicted mean?

Curious to know what others think.

For my purposes in recovery I have a definition that works for me.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

PJ_Soul said:

mickeyrat said:

And being an alcoholic means that you are addicted to alcohol. I.e. if you don't drink you experience withdrawal symptoms.
    So then, how does alcoholism manifest itself? What does addicted mean?

Curious to know what others think.

For my purposes in recovery I have a definition that works for me.
    I have no idea how alcoholism manifests itself... I believe it's proven that "resistance" to alcoholism or lack thereof is partially genetic. Some are simply more susceptible to becoming dependent on it than others. I imagine that the actual addiction kind of sneaks up on you when you're not looking. One day you must just realize that your desire for a drink has become a need that you can't deny. I personally think that addiction means that you do suffer withdrawal symptoms of some kind without the drug. Physical addiction/dependence. I know there is whole psychological addiction part, which is huge, especially with something that is normally socially acceptable. Same as with the physical addiction, alcohol is something that you simply have to consume. I imagine that alcoholism is a combination of both types of addiction in most cases. I personally believe that someone who doesn't drink regularly (like basically daily - that's not a requirement, but I've never known an alcoholic who didn't drink pretty much daily most of the time), and doesn't suffer withdrawal can't really be considered an alcoholic. I think alcoholism must involve the physical addiction (this is also why I don't really believe in marijuana addiction... sure, plenty of people overuse it and burn out, but they aren't addicted. They're just being burnouts. Most people I've known like that simply drift out of that phase without any effort because of changing life circumstances). If someone isn't physically addicted but drinks too much (i.e. drinks so much that it gets in the way of their responsibilities or is ruining relationships), that person has a serious drinking problem, and should try AA anyhow, even though they aren't physically addicted, so not technically alcoholics/addicted to alcohol.

My high-functioning alcoholic friends can't sleep without alcohol. I would call that addicted for sure.
  • Options
    Thats pretty good.

• Options
    igotid88 said:

...and better than anyone else, I might add.

I'm confused, so Fallon is not a "raging drunk," but rather a high functioning alcoholic...like Dave?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

igotid88 said:

I'm confused, so Fallon is not a "raging drunk," but rather a high functioning alcoholic...like Dave?
    or not

• Options

Now he is on primetime.

True.
    I was also implying that if he was under the influence during the skits it is harder to control giddiness.
    The cowbell sketch is a classic for sure but it aggravates me to no end that fallon breaks character.
    No one else did.
    Too many times fallon broke character on SNL and it got eyerollingly expected.
  • Options

Now he is on primetime.

True.
    I was also implying that if he was under the influence during the skits it is harder to control giddiness.
    The cowbell sketch is a classic for sure but it aggravates me to no end that fallon breaks character.
    No one else did.
    Too many times fallon broke character on SNL and it got eyerollingly expected.
    Got to the point where it was odd to see him not breaking character.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

igotid88 said:

I personally don't think Fallon is either. I think he just likes to party - he seems to be a binge drinker.
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

I personally don't think Fallon is either. I think he just likes to party - he seems to be a binge drinker.
    i think it is safe to say none of us have any idea what he is...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2015

PJ_Soul said:

igotid88 said:

i think it is safe to say none of us have any idea what he is...
    Ha, well no, it's all conjecture. That's just my theory based on everything I know about Fallon and from observation (I am a Fallon fan, so kind of know what he's up to, since he is so active on social media. But yeah, maybe he's hiding in the bathroom at home and chugging vodka that he stashed in the toilet tank. If so, he's doing pretty fucking well).
    In any case, I have hurt myself that many times in as little time before - clumsiness combined with bad luck. And it really is true that if you're already injured you're more likely to hurt yourself. Your coordination is off when you've got an injury.