Options

I should go a little easier on the 10 club....

ZodZod Posts: 10,113
Whenever I get into discussion in the threads and try to look at the pros and cons I use the Metclub (Metallica's Fan Club) as a basis for comparison. I only joined it on years they toured but it was affordable, the magazines came out like clockwork (4 really good ones per year), and machine was well oiled (never had issues getting tickets to a Metallica show).

Today it died. Got an email saying it's gone free. The magazines will now be digital and I suppose anyone can get tickets now. It's tough seeing a fan club like that die. The new website looks like some kind of template website that very little effort has gone into.

I have to imagine they had reasons to shut it down. Probably financial. Maybe I've gravely underestimated the cost and effort it takes to run one. Hang in there 10c :)

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,809
    I've been known to nitpick but generally I've been happy with 10C and want this place to stick around for a long time.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    Eddie could hand deliver limited edition vinyl to peoples houses within 24 hrs of ordering and they would still complain.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,628
    The people here are great. That's the most important thing.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Love the 10c... best $20 I spend every year
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,809
    mrussel1 said:

The people here are great. That's the most important thing.

Especially the people who upload shows :wink:
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited October 2015

Eddie could hand deliver limited edition vinyl to peoples houses within 24 hrs of ordering and they would still complain.

:rofl:
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,227
    Shite, I didn't get an email, went on because i knew the new website was today but didn't know it was free now. Wonder if we get a partial refund for this year lol.
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Only fan club I'm in. Only one I've ever been in.
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    MMJ's Roll Call is pretty nice,
    GREAT membership items and ticket benefits!!
    Not much of a "forum" so to speak...
    but a good place for audience recordings / bootleg trading there!!
    :plus_one:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    I was in the TOOL fan club and never got my sweatshirt, never received a reply from any emails, couldn't navigate the site because it's a damn "labyrinth" that they want you to explore...

This is a wonderful fanclub site. I wish some of the newer bands I dig would start one!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,817
    Zod said:

Whenever I get into discussion in the threads and try to look at the pros and cons I use the Metclub (Metallica's Fan Club) as a basis for comparison. I only joined it on years they toured but it was affordable, the magazines came out like clockwork (4 really good ones per year), and machine was well oiled (never had issues getting tickets to a Metallica show).

Today it died. Got an email saying it's gone free. The magazines will now be digital and I suppose anyone can get tickets now. It's tough seeing a fan club like that die. The new website looks like some kind of template website that very little effort has gone into.

I have to imagine they had reasons to shut it down. Probably financial. Maybe I've gravely underestimated the cost and effort it takes to run one. Hang in there 10c :)

I highly doubt the reason is financial. those guys don't just have money to burn, they have enough money to light on fire to burn more money.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I've joined a number of fan clubs over the years for sole purpose of accessing fan club tickets (as I like to go to all sorts of shows). The fan clubs like 10c (or Metclub) seemed to be few and far between. There's a whole lot of them that take your $40 to $60, send you a sticker package, and you get a presale code for tickets. 10c has its annual single, Metclub had the SoWhat magazine. Of the professionally run fan clubs the only one I've been in that didn't seem like a 100% cash grab was U2's. It's $50/yr (40 to renew). You get access to tickets and they send you an annual gift. They put out an awesome live 2 cd set a few years back for the u2 360 tour, then a companion cd/book the next year. This year was a double live 10" from a really old show they did around 1980.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but at least the 10c isn't like AC/DC, Kiss, Motley Crue's fan clubs where its a 100% cash premium for wanting to be able to buy good tickets.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Hmmm, I might have to join U2's club now...
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited October 2015

Only fan club I'm in. Only one I've ever been in.

It's the only one I've ever paid for unless you count the TMR Vault, which isn't really the same thing.
    I do express my constructive criticism once in a while, lol, but yeah, it's still a great fan club; if i wasn't still pretty happy with it at the end of the day I wouldn't keep spending $50 a year on it!
    That's too bad about the Metallica fanclub. Sounds like such a sudden and unexpected change. If that happened with 10C I'd feel fairly crushed.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    I lost my s&%t on them when two posters arrived damaged beyond repair.
    I wonder if they bought fragile stickers yet...
    :-)
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • Options
    BCBABCBA Utah with the mailman Posts: 220
    its great. I wouldnt be here if it werent
  • Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    edited October 2015
    Zod said:

I've joined a number of fan clubs over the years for sole purpose of accessing fan club tickets (as I like to go to all sorts of shows). The fan clubs like 10c (or Metclub) seemed to be few and far between. There's a whole lot of them that take your $40 to $60, send you a sticker package, and you get a presale code for tickets. 10c has its annual single, Metclub had the SoWhat magazine. Of the professionally run fan clubs the only one I've been in that didn't seem like a 100% cash grab was U2's. It's $50/yr (40 to renew). You get access to tickets and they send you an annual gift. They put out an awesome live 2 cd set a few years back for the u2 360 tour, then a companion cd/book the next year. This year was a double live 10" from a really old show they did around 1980.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but at least the 10c isn't like AC/DC, Kiss, Motley Crue's fan clubs where its a 100% cash premium for wanting to be able to buy good tickets.

U2's is great! Only the forum could be a bit more alive! Really would love to chat with more fans which is quite hard there. Only two I am in is U2's and Pearl Jam's. 10c is the best of the two for me. Also MUSE did EPIC things years back. When you we're on their FREE email list you could recieve singles etc for FREE. Also their Pre-Sale goes via the FREE mail list. Everyone got a unique code and got tixs because I am a free member there. Felt cool.
    Post edited by JustaPJFan on
  • Options

Zod said:

U2's is great! Only the forum could be a bit more alive! Really would love to chat with more fans which is quite hard there. Only two I am in is U2's and Pearl Jam's. 10c is the best of the two for me. Also MUSE did EPIC things years back. When you we're on their FREE email list you could recieve singles etc for FREE. Also their Pre-Sale goes via the FREE mail list. Everyone got a unique code and got tixs because I am a free member there. Felt cool.

That's one of the things that makes it feel like a cash grab from the fan clubs that's sole purpose is to get you presale access to tickets (or even worse that ones that get you presale access only to have to pay a mint for VIP tickets).

I was on the Nine Inch Nails list (which I can't remember if I ever signed up for a fan club, or if they simply call their email list their fan club). The last show I saw was about 5ish years ago. They send me an email with a unique code and website to use. It was super easy to get GA tickets. They were will call to try and avoid scalping. It didn't cost a dime and it was super easy to get tickets.

Similar with Chris Cornell a few months back. I'm on his e-mail list and I get this email in the morning saying fan club members have early access to tickets. Rather then give the whole internet time to learn the presale code, the presale was actually live when they sent out the email. Click the link, searched for tickets and got front row which I've never had before.

I think my point is that if NIN or Cornell can do this stuff for free, than the Fan Clubs that charge $40 to $60/yr and don't send out anything, it's a pretty obvious cash grab.
  • Options
    TL170678TL170678 Near Louisville, in Indiana, closer to Kentucky Posts: 422
    Seems like Metallica has a lot of Members...All the people at the shows on the stage are fan club members right? They can tour basically every arena in America and have 3/4ths to full attendance. Not many can do that still w/o co-headliing and shit.
  • Options
    TL170678 said:

Seems like Metallica has a lot of Members...All the people at the shows on the stage are fan club members right? They can tour basically every arena in America and have 3/4ths to full attendance. Not many can do that still w/o co-headliing and shit.

I'm not sure if they do. I've never had any problems getting Metallica tickets. It's always been supereasy and reading the forums it seems most fans don't have issues with getting tickets. The fact that the 10c has issues with having enough tickets, makes me think the 10c is bigger than the metclub. Either that or Metallica fans don't travel as often so there's less competition for the tickets. Metallica doesn't really mix up the setlists that much so I don't know if they have the multishow devotion amongst their fans that PJ does.
  • Options
    ckravitzckravitz NJ Posts: 1,668
    Zod said:

.... Either that or Metallica fans don't travel as often so there's less competition for the tickets. Metallica doesn't really mix up the setlists that much so I don't know if they have the multishow devotion amongst their fans that PJ does.

I think you hit it right on the head. There is no good way to really quantify it, but Pearl Jam has got to be near the top, if not the leader, in the "has fans that go see multiple shows" category. I know there are others but Pearl Jam has gotten to the point where it seems almost Grateful Dead-like in terms of fans going to multiple shows. Like you said the setlist and also the attitude by the band to give a great performance each night definitely contribute to this. The fact that they are just incredible live doesn't hurt either, haha.
  • Options
    ckravitz said:

Zod said:

.... Either that or Metallica fans don't travel as often so there's less competition for the tickets. Metallica doesn't really mix up the setlists that much so I don't know if they have the multishow devotion amongst their fans that PJ does.

I think you hit it right on the head. There is no good way to really quantify it, but Pearl Jam has got to be near the top, if not the leader, in the "has fans that go see multiple shows" category. I know there are others but Pearl Jam has gotten to the point where it seems almost Grateful Dead-like in terms of fans going to multiple shows. Like you said the setlist and also the attitude by the band to give a great performance each night definitely contribute to this. The fact that they are just incredible live doesn't hurt either, haha.
    I saw U2 in Vancouver back in the spring and I was surprised at how many shows the U2 die hards had been too. They were right up there with PJ die hards. 10 shows+ per tour and stuff. I always assumed people wouldn't do that for U2 as they play nearly the same set every night (mixing out a half dozen songs at best). I guess every band has their hardcore fanbase.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Im so happy and satisfied here
    No problems and if there was any 10c was always there for me and in personal level not as a customer
    I will continue pay membership even they stop offering tickets or merch or holiday single
    This place is like a second family to me
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options

Well...yeah. Unless everything was personally inscribed & autographed and he brought along a piping hot double cheese and pepperoni pizza....
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990

Well...yeah. Unless everything was personally inscribed & autographed and he brought along a piping hot double cheese and pepperoni pizza....
    That's too much cheese!
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    CopperTom said:

That's too much cheese!
    Americans eat waaaay too much cheese
  • Options

CopperTom said:

That's too much cheese!
    Americans eat waaaay too much everything
    *fixed

• Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    I love it here. Met some great people and always been pretty happy with 10c. No brainer on spending the $40 on membership.
  • Options
    pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    edited October 2015
    ckravitz said:

Zod said:

The main thing with tickets is that Metallica tours. (or at least they used to tour North America) i have a few friends that will see them multiple times. But the main part is they actually play a bunch of shows when they tour, so the demand is also spread out. A lot easier if you know they are coming to place close to you. You don't have that luxury with PJ. Though it was nice in 2013 when they announced all the tour dates at once.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Options
    PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 665
    It looks like the metclub will be offering long time "Legacy" members first crack at ticket sales
    before they are available to the new membership as well as making a portion of the
    meet and greet passes only available to Legacy members. What a novel concept!
    Do you hear that Pearl Jam! Long time members get advance opportunities to purchase tickets, as it should be!!!
    4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin