Options

The Aging of Avocado

Comments

• Options
    a ton of great songs on this cd. one of my faves for sure
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Maybe I'm in the minority. I love everything they've done with exception to Foxy Mophandlemamathatsme. Still not a song.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503

Maybe I'm in the minority. I love everything they've done with exception to Foxy Mophandlemamathatsme. Still not a song.

Better than Fixer!!!..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    23scidoo said:

Better than Fixer!!!..
    Way better! I actually like Foxy Mop.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Spun my blue 'Cado last night. Enjoyed it. (Still cannot abide Parachutes)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Marker, Come Back = excellent addition to the catalogue

Life Wasted, Severed Hand = Very good

WWS, Unemployable, Comatose, Inside Job = Good. Solid additions to catalogue

Big Wave, Parachutes = eh, but good live at least (didn't really dig Parachutes at all until I caught it live in '09).

Army Reserve, Gone = eh
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503
    Inside Job is great opener..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    JbarkerJbarker Alberta Posts: 557
    Great record on all scales. especially after waiting nearly 4 years since Riot Act.
    Wonderful selection of songs with diversity, which I love in an album.
    From the first five songs that are like a reckless car chase to the subtle ones like Parachutes and Gone which are more like a slow Sunday drive to Come Back which feels like its belongs in the middle of a rom-com soundtrack.
    And then there is Inside Job... Epic.

I wouldn't leave an avocado on the shelf for too long but this one can stay for awhile.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,175
    I LOVED Avocado when it came out. After Riot Act and Binaural it was a fresh breath of air and a good sign that this band wasn't slowing down, and that they were out of their "funk". The tour was amazing and unforgettable.

10 years later, if I'm going to be honest, it's decent. I think Backspacer and LB built on the momentum of Avocado and I would lump those three together musically. To me, BS and LB are more cohesive and I'll spin those two more than Avocado. There is some weird mixing on Avocado that makes Ed sound echoey that I've never liked either.

However Avocado will always have a special place in my heart and is my #2 PJ album (after Vitalogy). However if I hadn't of been a fan when it came out I can imagine it not having much impact on me. This is what I imagine for Yield fans - was not a fan then and that album does nothing for me (live versions are a different story).
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    I mostly, like 99%, listen to Pearl Jam live.

Revisited bot this and Backspacer yesterday. And Avocado is great. And Backspacer, including The Fixer, is a lot better than I first thought. Avocado sounds overly compressed though and on Backspacer Eddie sounds like he has a severe cold.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,388
    I love this album. I thought it was great in 2006, and it still sounds great to my ears today.

Lots of special memories related to this record; I was lucky to see 8 of the 13 tracks when they were brand new before the album came out, live at the Astoria in London. They all rocked, especially Severed Hand.

The full band version of Gone should never have made the album. It should've been Ed's solo version, or not at all. This, and Parachutes are the only let-downs for me. Everything else is stellar.

Hearing Severed Hand open the second Lisbon '06 show was something I'll never forget. The intro went on for ages, and the crowd was clapping along the entire time and then when it finally kicked in fully there was just madness everywhere. Army Reserve from the same show is phenomenal, too.

The version of Marker from Wembley in 2007 is when the song transcended it's album recording in my opinion, and it became something special. During the outro, the crowd started a "Yeah!" chant with their fist in the air, similar to the end of 'Alive' and it was just a really powerful moment.

I have the blue bootleg vinyl and it sounds fine, but I desperately want an original pressing.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    ^^^
    Nice
    I like Gone more than Parachutes on the record.
    Live Parachutes is pretty nice.
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,388

^^^
    Nice

I'd agree with that, but only just :wink:
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    edited November 2016
    Gone & Parachutes fit the record so well. It's tough to imagine the record without them
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    MF658872MF658872 Posts: 247
    Love all the songs expect I wish they had included Of the Earth
    Philly 1 2016                     
    EV New York 2016            
    TOTD Philly 2 2016 
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction 2017 
    Boston 1 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    EV New York 1 & 2 2022
    Berlin 2022
    Frankfurt 2022
    New York 2022
  • Options
    W/ all the new tour and album rumours abound let's hope this gets a revival.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=Hq-pA4R_EMM
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited March 2017
  • Options
    ShynerShyner Posts: 1,226
    marker in the sand is worth the whole
    just like getaway is worth the whole
    just like unthought known is a gem of a group

it's amazing to me that PJ consistently make such incredible songs that a whole album isn't even needed to back up said song
    i am glad that these compositions have back up ya know

• Options
    Shyner said:

marker in the sand is worth the whole
    it's amazing to me that PJ consistently make such incredible songs that a whole album isn't even needed to back up said song
    i am glad that these compositions have back up ya know

Damn straight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0g1KWgsjz4
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    edited March 2017
    Avocado has some incredible guitar work but the vocals are rough. If the vocals had actual been produced with the rest of the music (and after Eddie had cut down on the smoking) this album would have been epic.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    best post Yield album IMO.
  • Options

^^^
    Nice

I do like Parachutes but I think it would be more effective on a Ed solo album.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,268
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,012
    mr bungle said:

^^^
    Nice

I do like Parachutes but I think it would be more effective on a Ed solo album.
    Why not on a Stone solo album..?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    that works too!
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    mr bungle said:

best post Yield album IMO.

That's how I feel about it too. It's also my favourite post-yield album. I especially identify with some of the lyrics (even though they don't really apply to my situation) in gone and wasted reprise. I played those songs alot when I was leaving my post university almost min. wage job and moving away to try and and improve my situation.
  • Options
    Best PJ LP ever
  • Options

Best PJ LP ever

• Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    this is a stellar album start to finish in my opinion. everyone has their favorite songs or whatever but as a body of work it is truly a classic. i don't know of many other bands you can even listen to all the tracks of most albums. great tour as well in 06'. lucky to catch 4 shows. sf pitts and both toronto shows.
  • Options
    Gonna listen to it now!!