Options

The Aging of Avocado

Comments

• Options
    Wrong. Gone is the worst song on the album by far. The studio version is so, so bad. It's not much better live, but that acoustic guitar in the intro is terrible. I think they rushed it so that it would make the cut for the record.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883

Wrong. Gone is the worst song on the album by far. The studio version is so, so bad. It's not much better live, but that acoustic guitar in the intro is terrible. I think they rushed it so that it would make the cut for the record.

I judge songs on how they are live and gone is one of the worst. Total momentum killer.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    mcgruff10 said:

I judge songs on how they are live and gone is one of the worst. Total momentum killer.
    good way to judge...
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455
    I'm pretty dumbfounded that so many people say that the whole album is one of their least (if not complete least) favorite PJ albums. I also cannot fathom the dislike for Big Wave. That is a bad ass rock and roll song. I've always been drawn to the loud and fast rockers. In my opinion the Avocado album is a killer rock and roll record. There is little to no experimentation or weirdness but rather it seems like they jsut went in the studio and said "Fuck it! Let's rock!"

Oh, one last thing, anybody who doesn't like Inside Job needs to have their music fan credentials reexamined. That song is EPIC! It is easily one of my favorite PJ songs to see performed live.
  • Options
    AceCool said:

I'm pretty dumbfounded that so many people say that the whole album is one of their least (if not complete least) favorite PJ albums. I also cannot fathom the dislike for Big Wave. That is a bad ass rock and roll song. I've always been drawn to the loud and fast rockers. In my opinion the Avocado album is a killer rock and roll record. There is little to no experimentation or weirdness but rather it seems like they jsut went in the studio and said "Fuck it! Let's rock!"

Oh, one last thing, anybody who doesn't like Inside Job needs to have their music fan credentials reexamined. That song is EPIC! It is easily one of my favorite PJ songs to see performed live.

porch is epic. go is epic. corduroy is epic. inside job is a bore live. ever look around and watch the crowd during this song? yeah about 95% of the crowd is bored as hell. sorry but this song never translated well live.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,060
    Great record. Comatose is a beast (and I LOVE Ed's vocals on it!). WWS, Life Wasted, Severed Hand all great PJ songs. Inside Job musically is a masterpiece. It's not even close to one of my favorite songs but it's very good and very well written. I love Gone too. This is a great record to play loud on vinyl!!!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

AceCool said:

porch is epic. go is epic. corduroy is epic. inside job is a bore live. ever look around and watch the crowd during this song? yeah about 95% of the crowd is bored as hell. sorry but this song never translated well live.
    Right on, man. I like you. Great examples of what are epic live songs. I'll add Present Tense, Given To Fly and maybe even Life Wasted. Inside Job and Gone....zzzzzzzz. Like you said, Inside Job kills the crowd. Same with Gone. I think Gone is the most frustrating because it actually has potential but it got rushed.

And to the dude who said that credentials should be reexamined if a fan doesn't like Inside Job...very original. Never heard that before. Saying that shortly after defending Big Wave is brilliant. It's like the band was thinking, "We've got this politically charged record, but what it needs is a generic power chord crunchy tune about surfing" while tracking the record together.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    the only PJ album that i dont listen to. Not a fan. Even the mastering is awful. Brickwalled

I like Parachutes, Inside Job, and Army Reserve. The rest i cant stomach
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    I'd probably agree on Inside Job live at a concert unless it was in the encore or as an opener. Awesome album closer the way it builds. It just gets you pumping by the end when Ed belts out those yeahs.

As for Gone, yeah don't care to hear it live, but I like the song. It lacks the emotional depth and feeling that a slow Pearl Jam song needs to be great live.

Sorry, I'm on the Big Wave train. Good album song as a quick rocker to scream along with, but doesn't bring it live.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951

the only PJ album that i dont listen to. Not a fan. Even the mastering is awful. Brickwalled

I like Parachutes, Inside Job, and Army Reserve. The rest i cant stomach

Definitely a fan of a remastered version being done.....
  • Options
    I think I must be the only person that doesn't like Inside Job. Not a fan studio or live. I do like Avocado as a whole though....it just doesn't age for me. I do dig Life Wasted, Severed Hand, Marker, and WWS live.
    Lexington 4.21.03, Chicago 5.16.06, Cincinnati 6.24.06, Lollapalooza 8.5.07, Virginia Beach 6.17.08, Camden 6.19.08, Camden 6.20.08, East Troy (PJ20) 9.3.11, East Troy (PJ20) 9.4.11, Wrigley 7.19.13, Pittsburgh 10.11.13, Cincinnati 10.1.14, Lexington 4.26.16, Wrigley 8.20.16, Wrigley 8.22.16, Wrigley 8.18.18, Wrigley 8.20.2018, Fenway 9.4.18, New York 3.30.20, Nashville 4.2.20, St. Louis 4.4.20, Bourbon & Beyond 9.17.22, Indianapolis 9.10.2023
  • Options
    marker is a song that needs to be played more live, I freaking love that song. awesome video bud ^^^^^^^^
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mcgruff10 said:

marker is a song that needs to be played more live, I freaking love that song. awesome video bud ^^^^^^^^

Very underrated song. Love it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,283
    I love Marker as well. I think "What went wrong? Walking tightrope high, over moral ground" is one of my all time favourite Ed lines.

And I love this too:

"Those undecided, needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, there was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides, claiming killing in God's name
    But God is nowhere to be found, conveniently"
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    goldrush said:

I love Marker as well. I think "What went wrong? Walking tightrope high, over moral ground" is one of my all time favourite Ed lines.

And I love this too:

Yes. Awesome lyrics.

Love the back & forth between Mike & Stone as well. Plus, it may be one of my favorite drum tracks from Matt with PJ.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    mfc2006 said:

goldrush said:

And I love this too:

Yes. Awesome lyrics.

Love the back & forth between Mike & Stone as well. Plus, it may be one of my favorite drum tracks from Matt with PJ.
    Yes, this. First thing I thought. Great drumming and guitar work.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    always found severed hand the hardest to like on this album. the rest no issues.
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    Nami said:

always found severed hand the hardest to like on this album. the rest no issues.

Give it another go!
    2006 Wow
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOPj46gXKf8
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,268
    My birthday cake for 2016:

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    ^^^
    Wow!
    That's too awesome to eat.
    Did you?
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,268
    Yep!... :smiley: It was delicious! The outside was chocolate and the inside praline. I kept the avocado (sugarpaste) as a souvenir. :wink:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options

Nami said:

Give it another go!
    2006 Wow
    Gave it another go...still think it's the most over-rated Pearl Jam song in the entire catalog.
  • Options
    ^^^
    When they opened w/ it at the Gorge oh my.
    Beautiful.
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,503

Nami said:

Give it another go!
    2006 Wow
    Gave it another go...still think it's the most over-rated Pearl Jam song in the entire catalog.
    One of their best songs..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Freaking love me some Avocado. The album, not the food which is just disgusting.
  • Options
    I always though Gone would have fit on the Into the Wild soundtrack thematically and with the right stripped down arrangement.
  • Options
    AceCoolAceCool Texas Posts: 455

mcgruff10 said:

AceCool said:

Right on, man. I like you. Great examples of what are epic live songs. I'll add Present Tense, Given To Fly and maybe even Life Wasted. Inside Job and Gone....zzzzzzzz. Like you said, Inside Job kills the crowd. Same with Gone. I think Gone is the most frustrating because it actually has potential but it got rushed.

And to the dude who said that credentials should be reexamined if a fan doesn't like Inside Job...very original. Never heard that before. Saying that shortly after defending Big Wave is brilliant. It's like the band was thinking, "We've got this politically charged record, but what it needs is a generic power chord crunchy tune about surfing" while tracking the record together.
    Oh wow. You must be so deep and heavy and politically brooding. You should definitely make your case to the band for subjecting you to their "generic" rock. How dare they stray away from tortured political angst for even one song.
  • Options
    I like the record - great songs (sans Gone - super weak for EV, I believe), but it was very poorly mixed. I'd listen to it more if it weren't for the mix/production/whatever it is.