Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Ottawa reaches agreement to start Trans Mountain work this summer: source

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trans-mountain-announcement-coming-1.4681662?cmp=FB_Post_News
    4.5 billion. 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Canada to spend $4.5 billion to buy Trans Mountain pipeline, terminal

http://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/newsalert-canada-to-spend-4-5b-to-buy-trans-mountain-pipeline-b-c-terminal

We now own a pipeline ... LMFAO
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Yesterday, Kinder Morgan had to stop the pipeline flow as a small spill occurred:

http://www.vancourier.com/news/100l-oil-spill-near-kamloops-causes-temporary-closure-of-trans-mountain-pipeline-1.23316058

This fiasco is f**king hilarious.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

http://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/newsalert-canada-to-spend-4-5b-to-buy-trans-mountain-pipeline-b-c-terminal

The smell of cognitive dissonance is heavy in the Alberta air this morning.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

The smell of cognitive dissonance is heavy in the Alberta air this morning.

Haha, amongst certain circles, very much so.

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    PJ_Soul said:
    I know we WILL do a lot better than this though, so I guess that's why I don't care too much. And remember that you and I know WAY more about weed than most of those politicians do, lol. But they'll figure it out... after it's legal.
    The positives are that people don't have to go buy weed from drug dealers on the street anymore, the tax revenue, and the fact that this is going to quickly normalize weed and ditch the stupid stigmas about it.

When’s the last time you bought weed ‘on the street’?  Lol
    The fact that politicians know less than me is what drives me nuts about them shutting out the people who have dedicated their lives to making this happen.  Anyone with the internet and 15 minutes can determine that it’s less dangerous than alcohol.  So aside from placating the anti-weed people, why are the laws more stringent than for alcohol? Are there limits to the amount of alcohol I can have? .  What about rural families who don’t want to drive to town every week?   They need to bring multiple adults in order to get it home?  Why four plants?  That’s not enough for a continuous grow. You would have one strain and start from scratch every few months.  (All rhetorical questions - I know we’re on the same page...I just don’t understand your patience with the way it’s going).
      I must have a magic dealer.  $100-110/half.  $7-8/gr. 30% adds up.  
    The last time I bought weed on the street was right before I got a dispensary card, probably about 3 years ago.
    But I'm not sure why you're saying they are shutting out those people. I totally agree they shouldn't be, and I've said that since the idea of legalization came about. But that hasn't at all even been determined in BC, so I have nothing to be bent out of shape about (yet... we're still waiting to see how that is all handled, but the BC government is certainly aware it's an issue). Is the Alberta government doing something that is shutting them out?
    The laws are more stringent than for alcohol because it's brand new. That's it. Simple. That is why I am completely confident that, after some time has passed and the whole industry has a chance to figure shit out, such laws will change and become much more reasonable. This is the real world, not a world where everything we think ought to happen happens immediately. That is why I've got patience. I know it will all work out in the end. Why wouldn't I have some patience for that, when in the meantime I can still go buy affordable weed in a store? And you know, wtf is the point in being mad? Easier access to weed for everyone without any legal risk. Talk about a good first step. More like a huge leap! Sure, the powers that be could chill (maybe smoke a bowl), but Jesus, considering the history behind all this, I think we should count ourselves fucking lucky that this is happening at all. That's a realistic and non-spoiled attitude IMO.
    Rural families have to drive to town every week? Huh? Are you saying that a family with only one adult needs more than 30 grams a week?? Sorry, the possession limit is completely reasonable to me. So does the 4 plant limit, because remember, growing lots of weed actually does affect communities, not just the people growing it. Have you ever smelled the venting of a residential grow-op? And I'm not even talking a big one. It absolutely reeks up the entire neighborhood.
    I buy 1/8 at a medical dispensary for $30. My old dispensary was $25 (but the shatter was $10 more expensive to it evens out).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Everybody should just grow their own ...
    I wouldn't want to grow my own. What a pain in the ass, and I don't get enough sunlight on my balcony anyhow, and even if I did, since I'm only the second floor I'd be worried about someone climbing up a stealing it. And there is no way in hell I'd do it inside. It really is a mold hazard.
    So grow your own - aren't going to be able to?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata

And that's just for the old, falling apart one. They still will have to spend about $20 billion more to build the new one!
    I hope anyone who loves the idea of this pipeline remembers this when they need to turn to some woefully underfunded government agency!
    PJ_Soul said:

And that's just for the old, falling apart one. They still will have to spend about $20 billion more to build the new one!
    I hope anyone who loves the idea of this pipeline remembers this when they need to turn to some woefully underfunded government agency!
    I just find it hard to believe that there is not a better option to get the oil to tidewater...

Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    I wouldn't want to grow my own. What a pain in the ass, and I don't get enough sunlight on my balcony anyhow, and even if I did, since I'm only the second floor I'd be worried about someone climbing up a stealing it. And there is no way in hell I'd do it inside. It really is a mold hazard.
    In an apartment growing your own would definitely be a problem.

I do want to get into growing my own myself at some point...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Sounds good - unless you rent and your landlord is against, I'm sure there is nothing stopping you.... And if you want to grow more than 4 plants for some reason, I doubt anyone is going to stop you from doing that either... Just make sure you hide it from any busy-body tee-totalling neighbors and you'll probably be fine. It's not like anyone's going to be doing door-to-door plant counts, and you're clearly not overly concerned about breaking the law.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Sounds good - unless you rent and your landlord is against, I'm sure there is nothing stopping you.... And if you want to grow more than 4 plants for some reason, I doubt anyone is going to stop you from doing that either... Just make sure you hide it from any busy-body tee-totalling neighbors and you'll probably be fine. It's not like anyone's going to be doing door-to-door plant counts, and you're clearly not overly concerned about breaking the law.
    I own my townhome ... so  I don't have to deal with a landlord.  I'm going to grow outside.  People in apartments should need their landlords permission.  Inside growing can lead to mould problems is what I'm told...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I own my townhome ... so  I don't have to deal with a landlord.  I'm going to grow outside.  People in apartments should need their landlords permission.  Inside growing can lead to mould problems is what I'm told...
    Yeah for sure. If were a landlord there is no way in hell I'd let my tenants grow indoors. It's not even only mold problems. As soon as stupid people start using grow lights, it's a fire hazard too.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Senate committee backs amendment giving provinces power to ban home-grown pot

http://nationalpost.com/news/senate-committee-backs-amendment-giving-provinces-power-to-ban-home-grown-pot

LMFAO at this pathetic attempt of legalization...
    it was illegal for a long time to make your own liquor. baby steps. you don't go all in when you don't know what's in your hand. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah for sure. If were a landlord there is no way in hell I'd let my tenants grow indoors. It's not even only mold problems. As soon as stupid people start using grow lights, it's a fire hazard too.
    All excellent points...
    Give Peas A Chance…

http://nationalpost.com/news/senate-committee-backs-amendment-giving-provinces-power-to-ban-home-grown-pot

it was illegal for a long time to make your own liquor. baby steps. you don't go all in when you don't know what's in your hand. 
    The only thing that I don't like is that a province like Ontario, which just recently allowed beer and wine in grocery stores could move to ban home growing ... I don't the  PC's or the liberals would ... I do think the NDP will if they win the election...

I agree we have to start somewhere ... 

Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

The only thing that I don't like is that a province like Ontario, which just recently allowed beer and wine in grocery stores could move to ban home growing ... I don't the  PC's or the liberals would ... I do think the NDP will if they win the election...

I think it will eventually be ammended if the rollout is deemed a success and they can justify it with actual crime numbers decreasing, financials increasing, etc. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

You don't think the PCs or Libs would ban home growing, but that the NDP would? Why? That isn't the case in other NDP provinces... The NDP seems most likely to allow it, no? What kind of fucked up NDP party have you got going in Ontario? :confused:
    PJ_Soul said:

You don't think the PCs or Libs would ban home growing, but that the NDP would? Why? That isn't the case in other NDP provinces... The NDP seems most likely to allow it, no? What kind of fucked up NDP party have you got going in Ontario? :confused:
    No I do not think liberals or PCs would ban home growing.  I can only be certain after the election...and it quite possible that all 3 would exercise that option...I hope they don't...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

No I do not think liberals or PCs would ban home growing.  I can only be certain after the election...and it quite possible that all 3 would exercise that option...I hope they don't...
    I don't think the PCs or Libs would either... I'm asking why you think, out of the three, that the NDP would be the ones most likely to ban it. That seems like an odd perspective to me.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't think the PCs or Libs would either... I'm asking why you think, out of the three, that the NDP would be the ones most likely to ban it. That seems like an odd perspective to me.
    Because they are looking to pull the plug on beer and wine being sold in anymore grocery stores.  They are more concerned with union jobs than the person who prefers to grow their own...there are some people that will only consume what they grow...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Because they are looking to pull the plug on beer and wine being sold in anymore grocery stores.  They are more concerned with union jobs than the person who prefers to grow their own...there are some people that will only consume what they grow...
    I think that's quite a leap in logic. When they start banning self-brewing kits, I'll agree with you. ;)
    edited May 2018
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    LOL ...  I like Carbon Corporatism...

Let me ask anyone in BC or Alberta.  Is there a better way for Alberta to get their oil to foreign markets besides the US?  What if it was refined in province and then pipeline? 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Andrew Coyne: Liberals took only possible route out of mess they created

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/liberals-took-only-possible-route-out-of-mess-they-created

Did they?  

Give Peas A Chance…

Let me ask anyone in BC or Alberta.  Is there a better way for Alberta to get their oil to foreign markets besides the US?  What if it was refined in province and then pipeline? 
    That would be okay - the main issue is the bitumen... that is what the level-headed Horgan has been trying to remind everyone all along.
    But the pipeline approval was a massive mistake from the very beginning simply by virtue of where they're laying and ending it. Only the the most densely populated area in all of Western Canada, eh? I see that as the biggest problem. If they'd used their brains and aimed to end it in a much less populated area, I doubt we would have seen all this drama. Sure, there still would have been valid protests about keeping the waters clean, but the backlash wouldn't have been anywhere near as severe, plus the mayors and MPs in the cities involved wouldn't have gotten on the anti-pipeline train (and so they should be, especially those in Burnaby).
    PJ_Soul said:

That would be okay - the main issue is the bitumen... that is what the level-headed Horgan has been trying to remind everyone all along.
    But the pipeline approval was a massive mistake from the very beginning simply by virtue of where they're laying and ending it. Only the the most densely populated area in all of Western Canada, eh? I see that as the biggest problem. If they'd used their brains and aimed to end it in a much less populated area, I doubt we would have seen all this drama. Sure, there still would have been valid protests about keeping the waters clean, but the backlash wouldn't have been anywhere near as severe, plus the mayors and MPs in the cities involved wouldn't have gotten on the anti-pipeline train (and so they should be, especially those in Burnaby).
    Then why not spend the billions on a refinery and let kinder Morgan build a pipeline to export refined oil...

Not only that, refinery jobs are more permanent than pipeline jobs...and Alberta is a big province that could easily accommodate a refinery without much hassle (hopefully)...

I think this is on Trudeau.  Lets see if the gamble pays off or turns into a boondoggle.  

Whats this pipeline worth in terms of federal tax revenue.  Seems like he is going to lose seats in BC over this, and I do not see many gains in Alberta from this.  Seems risky politically.  Must mean it could swell federal coffers.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:

Then why not spend the billions on a refinery and let kinder Morgan build a pipeline to export refined oil...

Not only that, refinery jobs are more permanent than pipeline jobs...and Alberta is a big province that could easily accommodate a refinery without much hassle (hopefully)...

I think this is on Trudeau.  Lets see if the gamble pays off or turns into a boondoggle.  

Whats this pipeline worth in terms of federal tax revenue.  Seems like he is going to lose seats in BC over this, and I do not see many gains in Alberta from this.  Seems risky politically.  Must mean it could swell federal coffers.
    I thought I already answered that first question by inference - I guess not. Yeah, great, build a refinery .... It's still fucking stupid to build any huge oil pipeline terminus is a densely populated area like where this one ends, be it bitumen (worse) or refined oil (still bad). The old little storage and terminus facilities that are already are enough of an eyesore and enough of a hazard for all these people living around it (me included - I'm with a couple kilometers, and my work (an entire university campus and community) is only walking distance).
    I've never met anyone who is against a new refinery in AB, FWIW.