Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    I'm waiting to see how this all plays out before pulling my hair out.

As much as it is very sporadic or chaotic at the moment... I still see it as a step in the right direction.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    I'm waiting to see how this all plays out before pulling my hair out.

As much as it is very sporadic or chaotic at the moment... I still see it as a step in the right direction.
    Absolutely. Some people have no patience. Take it easy people - just wait and see how it goes. It's going to take a few years before any of us can present any complaints that are valid in the long term.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    PJ_Soul said:
    This 'legalization' is a joke.  I don't see it as 'learn by doing', I see it as 'ensure we hand a multi-billion dollar industry over to our friends and lobbyists'. How many new laws have been created in the legalization process?  Varies by province, but something like 30?  
    Public intoxication penalties that make drunk in public fines look benign.  
    Intoxicated driving laws that will make it virtually impossible for any regular user or medicinal patient to drive legally.  
    Possession charges that carry increased penalties. 
    A $5k fine in BC for having your plants visible to your neighbors.
    Zero input or participation from the people who fought for legalization - craft growers completely shut out.
    Big green now lobbying to ban outdoor grows - doing everything in their power to consolidate and minimize competition before legalization even begins.... 
    Watching all these former cops and politicians and others who contributed to prohibition, including a family member of mine that always looked down on me, making asshole comments about cannabis consumers, get rich on the 'green rush' is a slap in the face.  
    Knew the libs would fuck this up.  So frustrating.  

I don't understand how you're blaming the feds when everything you're talking about is determined by each province. Much of what you're complaining about is either not the case in my province, or hasn't been determined yet at all.
    True that it's not (just) the feds, shouldn't have said that.  But according to this, Bill 30 in BC passed before the long weekend, which contains a lot of the things I mentioned:

Hemp Herbals Compassion Society

Read deeper into this problem in my latest for Hemp Herbals News: A War on Cannabis is Coming to British Columbia: https://hempherbals.ca/…/a-war-on-cannabis-is-coming-to-br…/

UPDATE SATURDAY MAY 19: BC's awful new anti-legalization law has passed 3rd reading in the Legislature and now only needs Royal Assent. It's a done deal. This piece of garbage legislation was rushed through before a long-weekend. The authoritarian and hyper-restrictive clauses received no criticism from the opposition parties. What a disgrace.
    LINK TO LEGISLATION: https://www.leg.bc.ca/…/3rd-ses…/bills/first-reading/gov30-1

BILL 30 – 2018
    #CANNABIS CONTROL AND LICENSING ACT

Public Intoxication with Cannabis
    1st Offence: Up to 3 months in prison, $5,000 fine.
    2nd Offence: Up to 6 months in prison, $10,000 fine.

Driving While "Intoxicated by THC"
    90-day Driving Ban issued without a warrant based on the testimony of a "Trained Drug Recognition Officer"-- an RCMP member.

Possession Over Legal Limit (30 grams)
    1st Offence: Up to 3 months in prison, $5,000 fine
    2nd Offence: Up to 6 months in prison, $10,000 fine

Compare to Regulations for Alcohol
    Public Alcohol intoxication is not an offence of the Criminal Code of Canada, only a violation under the Provincial Liquor Control and Licensing Act which carries no jail time.

A conviction does not result in a criminal record. 
    *Alcohol is responsible for 1.9% of deaths in Canada [4] 
    Costs related to alcohol in Canada equalled approximately $14.6 billion in 2002.

New Sweeping Powers For Police
    Officers can arrest without a warrant on suspicion of intoxication. Charges can be laid after a "trained drug recognition" (ie, an RCMP officer) decides you are intoxicated. No breath or blood test is necessary.

A nation-wide bait-and-switch
    When the Province is adding more Cannabis-related crimes, including jail-time for the most minor non-violent offences, can we even call this "legalization"?

Sources: 
    [1] BILL 30 – 2018
    CANNABIS CONTROL AND LICENSING ACT

[2] OFFENCE ACT
    [RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 338

[3] LIQUOR CONTROL AND LICENSING ACT
    [SBC 2015] CHAPTER 19

[4] The Chief Public Health Officer's Report on the State of Public Health in Canada, 2015: Alcohol Consumption in Canada

• Options
    Patience buddy. These are the just the first steps, and such these things are to be expected. They do it to shut up the anti-weed contingent. In a few years most of that shit will change anyway - there is already intent to readdress all the laws that are being made now after a few years so that they can refine it all. I'm really not concerned. But FWIW, some of these are just fine with me. Especially the possession over 30 grams thing. Who the fuck needs more than 30 grams of weed at one time?? To me that screams "blackmarket sales".

As for the public intoxication thing... Baaahahahahaha. I am not worried about that at all. Nobody is going to get thrown in jail for being high in BC,
    And I agree with the driving thing, although recognize that determining intoxication is going to be difficult there.... Time will tell how that works out. I am confident that it will.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    This 'legalization' is a joke.  I don't see it as 'learn by doing', I see it as 'ensure we hand a multi-billion dollar industry over to our friends and lobbyists'. How many new laws have been created in the legalization process?  Varies by province, but something like 30?  
    Intoxicated driving laws that will make it virtually impossible for any regular user or medicinal patient to drive legally.  
    Zero input or participation from the people who fought for legalization - craft growers completely shut out.
    Big green now lobbying to ban outdoor grows - doing everything in their power to consolidate and minimize competition before legalization even begins.... 
    Watching all these former cops and politicians and others who contributed to prohibition, including a family member of mine that always looked down on me, making asshole comments about cannabis consumers, get rich on the 'green rush' is a slap in the face.  

I don't understand how you're blaming the feds when everything you're talking about is determined by each province. Much of what you're complaining about is either not the case in my province, or hasn't been determined yet at all.
    True that it's not (just) the feds, shouldn't have said that.  But according to this, Bill 30 in BC passed before the long weekend, which contains a lot of the things I mentioned:

Read deeper into this problem in my latest for Hemp Herbals News: A War on Cannabis is Coming to British Columbia: https://hempherbals.ca/…/a-war-on-cannabis-is-coming-to-br…/

UPDATE SATURDAY MAY 19: BC's awful new anti-legalization law has passed 3rd reading in the Legislature and now only needs Royal Assent. It's a done deal. This piece of garbage legislation was rushed through before a long-weekend. The authoritarian and hyper-restrictive clauses received no criticism from the opposition parties. What a disgrace.
    LINK TO LEGISLATION: https://www.leg.bc.ca/…/3rd-ses…/bills/first-reading/gov30-1

BILL 30 – 2018

90-day Driving Ban issued without a warrant based on the testimony of a "Trained Drug Recognition Officer"-- an RCMP member.

Public Alcohol intoxication is not an offence of the Criminal Code of Canada, only a violation under the Provincial Liquor Control and Licensing Act which carries no jail time.

Costs related to alcohol in Canada equalled approximately $14.6 billion in 2002.

Officers can arrest without a warrant on suspicion of intoxication. Charges can be laid after a "trained drug recognition" (ie, an RCMP officer) decides you are intoxicated. No breath or blood test is necessary.

When the Province is adding more Cannabis-related crimes, including jail-time for the most minor non-violent offences, can we even call this "legalization"?

Sources: 
    [1] BILL 30 – 2018

[2] OFFENCE ACT
    [RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 338

[SBC 2015] CHAPTER 19

[4] The Chief Public Health Officer's Report on the State of Public Health in Canada, 2015: Alcohol Consumption in Canada

What the fuck is this bullshit? Surely this can't be true.

Edit: 
    Yup, this is nuts.
    https://hempherbals.ca/2018/05/17/a-war-on-cannabis-is-coming-to-british-columbia/

Second edit: Somehow I missed the link in your initial post and I just shared the exact same one, doh.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BILL 30 – 2018

Sources: 
    [1] BILL 30 – 2018

[2] OFFENCE ACT
    [RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 338

[SBC 2015] CHAPTER 19

It is but it isn't.
  • Options
    Why wait and see if it is obviously crap to begin with?  Fixing bad legislation takes time.  I mean...even if the police don't enforce everything to the fullest, and judges are lenient, there is still huge potential for abuse of power, and selective enforcement.  And as with any bad law...it's only not a big deal if it doesn't affect you.  
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Why wait and see if it is obviously crap to begin with?  Fixing bad legislation takes time.  I mean...even if the police don't enforce everything to the fullest, and judges are lenient, there is still huge potential for abuse of power, and selective enforcement.  And as with any bad law...it's only not a big deal if it doesn't affect you.  
    Because my expectations are down to Earth I guess? Did anyone seriously expect all the laws on the first go 'round to be 100% reasonable, without a hint of hysteria in them, given the circumstances? I sure didn't. I just don't feel like people are being realistic in their expectations - they are pissy about it not all being perfect from the get go, and to me that is a waste of emotional energy. Meanwhile they couldn't care less about the positives in all this, which are significant. Much more significant than the negatives. I think any criticism should be directed towards constructive change, and yes, that takes time. Even the government has acknowledged that all this will be straightened out over time, and that there is a learning curve. And all the really stupid shit is, again, to assuage the tee-totallers. Once all those ninnies work out that the society isn't going to fall apart because of legal weed, things will become much more logical on paper.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BILL 30 – 2018

Sources: 
    [1] BILL 30 – 2018

[2] OFFENCE ACT
    [RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 338

[SBC 2015] CHAPTER 19

It is but it isn't.
    How so?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BILL 30 – 2018

Sources: 
    [1] BILL 30 – 2018

[2] OFFENCE ACT
    [RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 338

[SBC 2015] CHAPTER 19

It is but it isn't.
    How so?
    It won't be enforced.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:

BILL 30 – 2018

Sources: 
    [1] BILL 30 – 2018

[2] OFFENCE ACT
    [RSBC 1996] CHAPTER 338

[SBC 2015] CHAPTER 19

It is but it isn't.
    How so?
    It won't be enforced.
    Haha. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Because my expectations are down to Earth I guess? Did anyone seriously expect all the laws on the first go 'round to be 100% reasonable, without a hint of hysteria in them, given the circumstances? I sure didn't. I just don't feel like people are being realistic in their expectations - they are pissy about it not all being perfect from the get go, and to me that is a waste of emotional energy. Meanwhile they couldn't care less about the positives in all this, which are significant. Much more significant than the negatives. I think any criticism should be directed towards constructive change, and yes, that takes time. Even the government has acknowledged that all this will be straightened out over time, and that there is a learning curve. And all the really stupid shit is, again, to assuage the tee-totallers. Once all those ninnies work out that the society isn't going to fall apart because of legal weed, things will become much more logical on paper.
    I just don't see the positives, I guess.  I can't find the article now, but I read that analysts are seeing a rise in court time for cannabis, increased criminal convictions, etc.  

We should be educating the anti-weed crowd and doing this right, not placating them to the detriment of society.  Fuck them - they have had their way for decades and they lost. 
    Seriously, allowing bad legislation to pass is just plain wrong.  The companies that are shaping the laws are not going to let them be changed again without a fight, and real harm will be done in the meantime.  

I know I'm an idealist, but surely we could have done a LOT better than this.  

• Options
    I know we WILL do a lot better than this though, so I guess that's why I don't care too much. And remember that you and I know WAY more about weed than most of those politicians do, lol. But they'll figure it out... after it's legal.
    The positives are that people don't have to go buy weed from drug dealers on the street anymore, the tax revenue, and the fact that this is going to quickly normalize weed and ditch the stupid stigmas about it.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Black market for pot growing despite legalization in Colorado
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/black-market-for-pot-growing-despite-legalization-in-colorado-1.4675640

And it will continue to thrive in Canada unless the price point is adjusted...

Cigarettes ae a legal product.  The Black market cigarette market cigarette industry is booming.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/thenational/black-market-for-pot-growing-despite-legalization-in-colorado-1.4675640

Cigarettes ae a legal product.  The Black market cigarette market cigarette industry is booming.  
    But people will have a legal alternative, and those who don’t want to put their money toward organized crime don’t have to. 

Also, the “booming” black market cigarette industry applies to very few smokers overall, compared to the legal cigarette industry (and personally I would rather see both of those go away). 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

I think we already talked this issue to death ages ago, right?
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

So, I did not watch the video you posted, mostly because I don't tend to watch any videos posted and this one was too long, anyway. But I just read an article on cbc about the same issue, and what that article explains is that the "black market" in Colorado is booming primarily because ...... the growers are sending it to states that don't have legalized marijuana. Given that Canada will have federal legalization, it's not a  comparable situation. Sure, people may still grow for export out of Canada - I don't think anyone has made the argument that that will stop, but it's less relevant to the average Canadian. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I just still can't believe there are people who think $10/gram is too much.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    less than I pay now. LOL
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited May 2018
    less than I pay now. LOL
    Right? It's the same price that I pay at a medical dispensary now.
  • Options

But people will have a legal alternative, and those who don’t want to put their money toward organized crime don’t have to. 

Also, the “booming” black market cigarette industry applies to very few smokers overall, compared to the legal cigarette industry (and personally I would rather see both of those go away). 
    Black Market cigarettes in Ontario applies to a lot more smokers than you think ... a billion a year.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Black Market cigarettes in Ontario applies to a lot more smokers than you think ... a billion a year.
    I don't think that cigarettes and weed are as comparable as you seem to think they are, and the main reason I don't think so is because of the prices. Cigarettes are WAAAAY more expensive than weed is going to be. Also, cigarettes are extremely addictive, while weed is not. Combine restrictive pricing (which won't be applied to weed) with addiction, and you've got yourself a massive black market for cigs in Ontario. I mean, black market smokes cost only 30% of what legally sold smokes do, and a full 70% of the price of a pack of smokes is taxes!! This is NUTS. I think the government is making a huge mistake taxing the shit out of cigarettes like that - of course there is a crazy black market. In Vancouver a pack of smokes costs $14+ FFS. It's just fucking stupid. But a gram of weed doesn't cost $3 on the black market. And the government has absolutely no intention of taxing weed to that extent. Not even close. Most illicit weed actually costs at least $10/g, which is about what it's going to apparently cost in stores, maybe $12. And you've been talking about some magical dealers who sell it for $7/gram I think? ... but even a $3 - $5 difference isn't going to drive that many people to go to illegal drug dealers when they can just legally walk into a store and buy it for $10... Because they aren't like heroin addicts who need to fix all day everyday like cigarette smokers are.

What you need to do is think of a more comparable market.... That would be the alcohol industry. Is the moonshine business out of control over in Ontario?
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I know we WILL do a lot better than this though, so I guess that's why I don't care too much. And remember that you and I know WAY more about weed than most of those politicians do, lol. But they'll figure it out... after it's legal.
    The positives are that people don't have to go buy weed from drug dealers on the street anymore, the tax revenue, and the fact that this is going to quickly normalize weed and ditch the stupid stigmas about it.

When’s the last time you bought weed ‘on the street’?  Lol
    The fact that politicians know less than me is what drives me nuts about them shutting out the people who have dedicated their lives to making this happen.  Anyone with the internet and 15 minutes can determine that it’s less dangerous than alcohol.  So aside from placating the anti-weed people, why are the laws more stringent than for alcohol? Are there limits to the amount of alcohol I can have? .  What about rural families who don’t want to drive to town every week?   They need to bring multiple adults in order to get it home?  Why four plants?  That’s not enough for a continuous grow. You would have one strain and start from scratch every few months.  (All rhetorical questions - I know we’re on the same page...I just don’t understand your patience with the way it’s going).
      I must have a magic dealer.  $100-110/half.  $7-8/gr. 30% adds up.  
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    PJ_Soul said:

The fact that politicians know less than me is what drives me nuts about them shutting out the people who have dedicated their lives to making this happen.  Anyone with the internet and 15 minutes can determine that it’s less dangerous than alcohol.  So aside from placating the anti-weed people, why are the laws more stringent than for alcohol? Are there limits to the amount of alcohol I can have? .  What about rural families who don’t want to drive to town every week?   They need to bring multiple adults in order to get it home?  Why four plants?  That’s not enough for a continuous grow. You would have one strain and start from scratch every few months.  (All rhetorical questions - I know we’re on the same page...I just don’t understand your patience with the way it’s going).
    Have they indicated yet if the prices will scale the same when quantity purchased increases? At least during the initial roll-out I’ll be sticking with my current connection for the simple reason that the only announced location is pretty much downtown Toronto (I live in deep Scarberia, lol). I will make a point of sampling the legal option at some point though, for sure, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    I don't know anyone who is going to pay the government prices...

Stats Canada has said the average price on the street is around $7/gram...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

Have they indicated yet if the prices will scale the same when quantity purchased increases? At least during the initial roll-out I’ll be sticking with my current connection for the simple reason that the only announced location is pretty much downtown Toronto (I live in deep Scarberia, lol). I will make a point of sampling the legal option at some point though, for sure, lol.
    I would imagine it will be scaled, it is in the places I’ve purchased legally.  But the scale started well above $10 (it was $15+ in Van and Vegas), and sometimes approached $10 only in bulk. 

These are sample prices from the dispensary I went to in Vegas...in USD.  Of course this doesn’t mean the same models will followed here, but....

Coincidentally, I just finished a $110 CDN half of blue dream.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Options
    Ottawa reaches agreement to start Trans Mountain work this summer: source

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trans-mountain-announcement-coming-1.4681662?cmp=FB_Post_News
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Everybody should just grow their own ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Cannabis legalization task force member moves to senior ranks at Canopy

https://ipolitics.ca/2018/05/28/cannabis-legalization-task-force-member-moves-to-senior-ranks-at-canopy/

The vice-chair of the Liberals’ cannabis task force is now a top executive with Canada’s largest cannabis company.  There is a revolving ‘green door’ / we get fucked joke in there somewhere.  

• Options
    Senate committee backs amendment giving provinces power to ban home-grown pot

http://nationalpost.com/news/senate-committee-backs-amendment-giving-provinces-power-to-ban-home-grown-pot

LMFAO at this pathetic attempt of legalization...
    Give Peas A Chance…