PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wowee. Video of the suspect being caught... Ummm. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE IDIOTS WALKING BY?!?!??! Ugh! The stupidity/apathy of some people in today's society is so frustrating! :anguished:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrians-struck-white-van-1.4631564?cid=

Kudos to the cop for not shooting the suspect and taking him alive instead (which is always the goal of course) - kept a cool head there for sure.

“The police chief said there was nothing to indicate the suspect was armed at the time of arrest.”
    What was he pointing at the police in the video??  Regardless, Canada should probably look into ramping up its vehicle laws.  Good guy with a van until he isn’t...Pretty sure if you banned all vans, there would be no van murders.
    We should start a march coinciding with the date of the previous perpetrator of vehicular manslaughter.  It is obviously not safe to walk on sidewalks in Toronto...must be terrifying living there with all of the van owners.
    Thanks for trolling this tragedy. 
    Maybe if there were “Van Free Zone” signs on the sidewalk?

No shame.
    Well if crazy people in Toronto did not have such easy access to vans, 8 people would be going back home to their families today.
    Van attacks don't happen anywhere near the frequency of "responsible" gun owners until their not going on shooting rampages in the US. Lame false analogy on your part. Wouldn't expect anything less though. Since the advent of the van, how many van attacks have there been in Canada? And, since you're making a veiled reference to guns, how many mass shootings have their been in Canada? In fact what's their death rate by guns per 1,000 inhabitants? Do you know if the driver's "crazy?" Because why, only "crazy" people with guns kill people? I thought it was "responsible" gun owners, until they're not, killed people?
    How many more before we can start calling them “assault vans”?

Serious question: Are you just trolling as some kind of sick entertainment, or are you actually under the impression that you're making a good, valid point?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Just ignore the troll, people. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    Alek Minassian charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder, 13 attempted murders in Toronto van attack

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-van-attack

From the article...

Trudeau did not have any new information on the suspect’s possible motives, but said there is still no evident link to terrorism. “At this time we have no reason to suspect that there is a national security element to this attack,” he said.

The PM is very wrong.  What defines terror?  If driving a van mowing down innocents doesn't qualify as a terror act, what does?
    ... But you know what he means man, right? When he says there is no national security element to it, he means that it's not an act connected to a terrorist network. Seriously, do you really want so much to try and make Trudeau look bad that you want to play dumb?
    I just want the PM to call it what it is, terrorism. I get, anyone disagrees with Trudeau it offends...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    JimmyV said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wowee. Video of the suspect being caught... Ummm. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE IDIOTS WALKING BY?!?!??! Ugh! The stupidity/apathy of some people in today's society is so frustrating! :anguished:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrians-struck-white-van-1.4631564?cid=

Kudos to the cop for not shooting the suspect and taking him alive instead (which is always the goal of course) - kept a cool head there for sure.

“The police chief said there was nothing to indicate the suspect was armed at the time of arrest.”
    What was he pointing at the police in the video??  Regardless, Canada should probably look into ramping up its vehicle laws.  Good guy with a van until he isn’t...Pretty sure if you banned all vans, there would be no van murders.
    We should start a march coinciding with the date of the previous perpetrator of vehicular manslaughter.  It is obviously not safe to walk on sidewalks in Toronto...must be terrifying living there with all of the van owners.

Take 30 seconds and try to be the person that dog in your avatar thinks you are.
    My little bird hunting dog?  She loves it.  She goes crazy when I pick up a shotgun, thinking we are about to go bird hunting.  No dog flushed a pheasant like her :)

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    So this act of terror just may have been one committed because of women. Us goddamned women, not being into him and men like him enough. Shame on us. :weary:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-van-attack-driver-profile-alek-minassian-1.4632435?cid=

If this is indeed the motive, it wouldn’t be at all uncommon, just larger scale. A fair number of homicides are perpetrated by men unable to deal with rejection by women. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Alek Minassian charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder, 13 attempted murders in Toronto van attack

From the article...

Trudeau did not have any new information on the suspect’s possible motives, but said there is still no evident link to terrorism. “At this time we have no reason to suspect that there is a national security element to this attack,” he said.

The PM is very wrong.  What defines terror?  If driving a van mowing down innocents doesn't qualify as a terror act, what does?
    ... But you know what he means man, right? When he says there is no national security element to it, he means that it's not an act connected to a terrorist network. Seriously, do you really want so much to try and make Trudeau look bad that you want to play dumb?
    I just want the PM to call it what it is, terrorism. I get, anyone disagrees with Trudeau it offends...
    What if it doesn’t have a political motive? Is it still terrorism? What if the motive is indeed anger at women - is it still terrorism? 

And it has nothing to do with Trudeau. Everyone from the police chief to the city officials is saying that there are no apparent links to what we would usually consider terrorism. 
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

From the article...

No, you don't get it at all. I'm not a big defender of Trudeau. I'm defending truth. Your biases are blatant, and I think that kind of thing is damaging in general. If you were doing the same with Trump or any other leader, I'd say the same thing.
    You have NO CLUE what it was yet. Obviously Trudeau has more restraint and self control than you do. If he started blabbing about terrorism at this point in the game it would be irresponsible. Also, the definition of terrorism is not something to be defined by him in any case. If he does come out and call it an act of terrorism, I guarantee you that it would be something discussed and assessed by a group of people from the national intelligence and security community, not by Trudeau alone, and not by people like you.
    That said, I just called it terrorism myself... but that is just my own uninformed opinion. I do not want or expect the Prime Minister to be so callous as to do the same thing that you or I am doing in a situation like this.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    So this act of terror just may have been one committed because of women. Us goddamned women, not being into him and men like him enough. Shame on us. :weary:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-van-attack-driver-profile-alek-minassian-1.4632435?cid=

If this is indeed the motive, it wouldn’t be at all uncommon, just larger scale. A fair number of homicides are perpetrated by men unable to deal with rejection by women. 
    Of course. Women all over the world are victims of this every single minute of every single day, either because rejection, bitterness, or a sense of superiority or need to control or exert power and dominance. I consider it the greatest and by far the most ignored human rights crisis on the face of the planet.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    And if is motive was woman rejecting him then he is truly mentally ill...get's to spend at least the next 25 years (should be the death penalty) in one of Canada's finer institutions...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No shame.
    Well if crazy people in Toronto did not have such easy access to vans, 8 people would be going back home to their families today.
    Van attacks don't happen anywhere near the frequency of "responsible" gun owners until their not going on shooting rampages in the US. Lame false analogy on your part. Wouldn't expect anything less though. Since the advent of the van, how many van attacks have there been in Canada? And, since you're making a veiled reference to guns, how many mass shootings have their been in Canada? In fact what's their death rate by guns per 1,000 inhabitants? Do you know if the driver's "crazy?" Because why, only "crazy" people with guns kill people? I thought it was "responsible" gun owners, until they're not, killed people?
    How many more before we can start calling them “assault vans”?

Ironically, not long after I heard about this story the thought popped in to my head about how long it would be before PJPower makes some asinine comment about the danger of vans/vehicles, but then I thought, no, he wouldn't do that this time. Does your reputation make you proud?
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    And if is motive was woman rejecting him then he is truly mentally ill...get's to spend at least the next 25 years (should be the death penalty) in one of Canada's finer institutions...
    :confused: Why in the world would that necessarily mean he's mentally ill?? Given the problem of violence against women by men in this world for reasons like this, then damn, if your view of it is correct, then there are a SHIT LOAD of mentally ill men!
    He could be mentally ill... but I have yet to read about any evidence of that.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Initial accounts have it that this guy was just a pathetic loser that women couldn't find anything remotely positive to like... so he ran over a bunch of people because he was so mad that women recognized he was a loser and didn't want to associate with a loser.
    I wonder if a precursor is being an internet troll and gun apologist?
  • Options
    No, if that’s the motive that doesn’t on its own make him mentally ill. We can’t just call all behaviour that’s reprehensible “mental illness”. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    :confused: Why in the world would that necessarily mean he's mentally ill?? Given the problem of violence against women by men in this world for reasons like, then damn, if your view of it is correct, then there are a SHIT LOAD of mentally ill men!
    If you are beating on a woman and you are man ... you're mentally ill. I have 0 tolerance for woman abuser's, all of them...there is no excuse to ever strike your wife or girlfriend.  You are probably right, there are a lot more mentally ill they we care to admit...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    :confused: Why in the world would that necessarily mean he's mentally ill?? Given the problem of violence against women by men in this world for reasons like, then damn, if your view of it is correct, then there are a SHIT LOAD of mentally ill men!
    If you are beating on a woman and you are man ... you're mentally ill. I have 0 tolerance for woman abuser's, all of them...there is no excuse to ever strike your wife or girlfriend.  You are probably right, there are a lot more mentally ill they we care to admit...

Er, no, being an abuser of women doesn't mean someone it mentally ill (necessarily). It just makes him a fucking asshole who beats women. Obviously you have very little understanding of mental illness. You know you can't just make up your own definition of mental illness and make it be so, right?
  • Options
    No, if that’s the motive that doesn’t on its own make him mentally ill. We can’t just call all behaviour that’s reprehensible “mental illness”. 
    This seems to come up every time there is a mass murder of some sort, no matter what the method. People start throwing out mental illness, but it's such a vague term that can be interpreted various ways depending on the audience. Was it a psychological mental illness that required medication and treatment or mental instability related to a cognitive dysfunction and so on. I think it is irrational and shows an inability to properly control and handle feelings of despair or isolation, but isn't the same as someone who has been diagnosed with the mental illness of schizophrenia. Improper interpretations and labeling are what create the stigma that mental illness = violence.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    For all we know the guy is a complete nutcase ... But this act alone, or his supposed attitude towards women, definitely doesn't inform us of that.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    JimmyV said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Take 30 seconds and try to be the person that dog in your avatar thinks you are.
    picard slow clap GIF
  • Options
    dignin said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

picard slow clap GIF
    Technically he is acting like that person, master of all things. He is like "the claw" from Toy Story.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    This seems to come up every time there is a mass murder of some sort, no matter what the method. People start throwing out mental illness, but it's such a vague term that can be interpreted various ways depending on the audience. Was it a psychological mental illness that required medication and treatment or mental instability related to a cognitive dysfunction and so on. I think it is irrational and shows an inability to properly control and handle feelings of despair or isolation, but isn't the same as someone who has been diagnosed with the mental illness of schizophrenia. Improper interpretations and labeling are what create the stigma that mental illness = violence.
    Yes. People who deal with significant mental illness have a tough enough time as it is, without society continually pushing the narrative that violence=mental illness. 

I think we we need to recognize that a fair chunk of society still believes that it is okay to use violence to control people, particularly men with “their” women and children. 
  • Options

Vancouver gas prices are the highest in North America — and they may get worse

http://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/vancouver-gasoline-prices-are-the-highest-in-north-america

And they do so with a smile...lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

http://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/vancouver-gasoline-prices-are-the-highest-in-north-america

It's been that way for a long time. Living next to the tar sands has had no benefit to anyone in BC.

For the record, gas prices aren't the only things that are high in BC... everything is high.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options

It's been that way for a long time. Living next to the tar sands has had no benefit to anyone in BC.

For the record, gas prices aren't the only things that are high in BC... everything is high.
    I know ... I've been there a couple times.  I am only kidding.  I like BC, I also like Alberta...but yes BC is expensive, thats the price you pay for paradise, I guess...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Doug Ford campaign confirms actors were hired to play the part of PC supporters at Monday’s debate rally

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2018/05/08/doug-ford-campaign-confirms-actors-were-hired-to-play-the-part-of-pc-supporters-at-mondays-debate-rally.html

• Options
    no one in Ontario really cares about this election ... the voters have their mind made up, and with summer like weather showing up finally, people are not paying attention.  At this point it would take a monumental gaffe by team Ford...as long as they are using their money and not taxpayers money ... oh, like Trudeau and wynn buying votes by giving Toyota millions...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    no one in Ontario really cares about this election ... the voters have their mind made up, and with summer like weather showing up finally, people are not paying attention.  At this point it would take a monumental gaffe by team Ford...as long as they are using their money and not taxpayers money ... oh, like Trudeau and wynn buying votes by giving Toyota millions...
    That is pathetic and disgusting. If it's true that nobody cares about the election - an election that is more important than a federal election for people within the province - Ontario residents should be completely ashamed of themselves.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    That is pathetic and disgusting. If it's true that nobody cares about the election - an election that is more important than a federal election for people within the province - Ontario residents should be completely ashamed of themselves.
    What can you do?  It appears the voters want change, and that change is likely Doug Ford, now he could say something silly, or something in his past could derail him...so far nothing really nothing damaging...but if he does then I suspect we'll have an NDP minority government.  The Liberals in Ontario are in a world of hurt.  So my question is, if I, a voter already had my mind made up, why would I need to pay attention?  They are all lying we know that... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    What can you do?  It appears the voters want change, and that change is likely Doug Ford, now he could say something silly, or something in his past could derail him...so far nothing really nothing damaging...but if he does then I suspect we'll have an NDP minority government.  The Liberals in Ontario are in a world of hurt.  So my question is, if I, a voter already had my mind made up, why would I need to pay attention?  They are all lying we know that... 
    A decided voter, and all voters, always need to pay attention. Always. That is the only way to stay informed and stay responsible over time. What you're doing is justifying apathy. That is never the way to go, no matter what the circumstances are.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    A decided voter, and all voters, always need to pay attention. Always. That is the only way to stay informed and stay responsible over time. What you're doing is justifying apathy. That is never the way to go, no matter what the circumstances are.
    What I'm doing is paying attention.  I was not referring to me, just to the fact that voters want change and it appears this election is Doug Ford's to lose.  I'm fully aware whats going on.  My vote though is going to Ford, unless he gets really silly ... my vote matters little, my riding will vote NDP.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Wow, you're voting for him? Sorry, but that seems crazy to me, but I guess some people never learn. Isn't there some independent or green party candidate or one of those kooky random parties that end up on ballots who you could vote for? That would be better than Ford, no? lol