Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Regardless of his motivation, fuck the motherfucker, throw the book at him, since it was clearly intentional. Used to work around the corner from where it happened.

He was begging to be shot. We should have obliged him.

A parasite.  
    Yeah, I just saw the video. Better he suffer in prison, in my opinion, as gratifying as his death might have been.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Looks like another van terrorist attack, in Toronto. :frowning: 9 dead, 16 injured (as of right now).
    Yup.

Hopefully it's not one of those ISIS guys Trudeau thought was going to be a great voice for Canada.
    Trudeau said ISIS soldiers were going to be great voices for Canada?
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/24980/justin-trudeau-returning-isis-fighters-theyll-be-emily-zanotti

I and probably every other Canadian is perfectly aware of this. What you said and what he said aren't the same though. Your paraphrasing and deletion of details really distort what Trudeau was actually saying (not that I ever thought it was a good idea, mind you).

How am I paraphrasing? That's what he said: they were going to become great voices for Canada deterring people from becoming extremists.

It was ridiculous. Just as easy they could become great voices for encouraging people to become extremists.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,281
    fucking sad , thoughts with anyone affected by this ...Cowardly act ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Looks like another van terrorist attack, in Toronto. :frowning: 9 dead, 16 injured (as of right now).
    Yup.

Hopefully it's not one of those ISIS guys Trudeau thought was going to be a great voice for Canada.
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/24980/justin-trudeau-returning-isis-fighters-theyll-be-emily-zanotti

I and probably every other Canadian is perfectly aware of this. What you said and what he said aren't the same though. Your paraphrasing and deletion of details really distort what Trudeau was actually saying (not that I ever thought it was a good idea, mind you).

How am I paraphrasing? That's what he said: they were going to become great voices for Canada deterring people from becoming extremists.

It was ridiculous. Just as easy they could become great voices for encouraging people to become extremists.
    "Prime Minister Justin Trudeau claimed that he believes returning Jihadists — like those ISIS members headed back to Canada after losing the fight abroad — can be rehabilitated into "powerful" voices against radicalism within Canada."

There are a LOT of nuances that you're trying to ignore there man, on purpose.

I'm not even defending Trudeau - I don't know if there is anyone in the country who thinks that is a good plan. Yes, his idea is ridiculous, and I'd love to know who else in his world thinks it's a good idea... I'm sure someone must be encouraging this, but I can't really imagine who. His wife???! I dunno.

I just don't like it when people twist shit and tweak shit to make it sound like something different from what it really is, and you did that... at the worst possible time, too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    They’ve identified the perpetrator, don’t want to give his name, though, to try to deny him any “fame”, might I suggest we keep the name out of the discussion/thread?
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yup.

"Prime Minister Justin Trudeau claimed that he believes returning Jihadists — like those ISIS members headed back to Canada after losing the fight abroad — can be rehabilitated into "powerful" voices against radicalism within Canada."

I'm not even defending Trudeau - I don't know if there is anyone in the country who thinks that is a good plan. Yes, his idea is ridiculous, and I'd love to know who else in his world thinks it's a good idea... I'm sure someone must be encouraging this, but I can't really imagine who. His wife???! I dunno.

I just don't like it when people twist shit and tweak shit to make it sound like something different from what it really is, and you did that... at the worst possible time, too.
    Sorry. Was there a nuance I was supposed to interpret? I spoke to what he expressed. The meaning hasn't changed at all and the message has not been twisted or tweaked: it's the same any way you want to present it.

Asking for 'better timing' is tantamount to 'thoughts and prayers'. There's no 'start time' or rules for speaking to incidents like these. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yup.

Sorry. Was there a nuance I was supposed to interpret? I spoke to what he expressed. The meaning hasn't changed at all and the message has not been twisted or tweaked: it's the same any way you want to present it.

Asking for 'better timing' is tantamount to 'thoughts and prayers'. There's no 'start time' or rules for speaking to incidents like these. 
    I just spent 2 hours listening to a podcast featuring a former neo-nazi who has spent his life convincing and helping other neo-nazis get out of that life.

He is a powerful voice and I think former ISIS members could be as well.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yup.

I didn't say there is a start time. I don't believe in that. I meant it's the worst possible time to say specifically what you said because you don't even know if anyone connected to ISIS had anything to do with it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yup.

I just spent 2 hours listening to a podcast featuring a former neo-nazi who has spent his life convincing and helping other neo-nazis get out of that life.

Maybe. Likely the exception though right? Not every ex neo-nazi will have the skill set or even the will to begin undoing the damage they caused in their previous life.

If I recall correctly, there was almost a couple hundred Canadians that left to go be extremists. Most of those people aren't coming back to Canada because they have had a change of heart... they're coming back to Canada because their lives were in peril (not exactly the altruistic motivation you're suggesting). 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yup.

Maybe. Likely the exception though right? Not every ex neo-nazi will have the skill set or even the will to begin undoing the damage they caused in their previous life.

If I recall correctly, there was almost a couple hundred Canadians that left to go be extremists. Most of those people aren't coming back to Canada because they have had a change of heart... they're coming back to Canada because their lives were in peril (not exactly the altruistic motivation you're suggesting). 
    And keep in mind that Trudeau's idea was never for every single one of these people act as voices for non-radicalization. He suggested that they could, not that they all would. Obviously.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yup.

I didn't say there is a start time. I don't believe in that. I meant it's the worst possible time to say specifically what you said because you don't even know if anyone connected to ISIS had anything to do with it.

Fair enough. Looking back... I did take a cheap shot at the guy who wasn't ready.

Sorry. My blood boils when shit like this happens. It was inevitable this nonsense was going to rear its head in Canada. I guess I just never prepared myself for the reality of it once it occurred.

I feel awful for those people and I'm sick to my stomach. I'm sure you are too.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yup.

And keep in mind that Trudeau's idea was never for every single one of these people act as voices for non-radicalization. He suggested that they could, not that they all would. Obviously.

Correct.

And the ones that couldn't or wouldn't are welcomed back- for better or worse.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yup.

Correct.

And the ones that couldn't or wouldn't are welcomed back- for better or worse.
    He did say they would monitored of course.... But like everyone else, I don't understand why these people wouldn't be sent directly to prison for the rest of their lives. That's where everyone wants them and where they belong for doing what they did. I definitely do consider it treason.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yup.

No doubt, I don't disagree.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Wowee. Video of the suspect being caught... Ummm. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE IDIOTS WALKING BY?!?!??! Ugh! The stupidity/apathy of some people in today's society is so frustrating! :anguished:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrians-struck-white-van-1.4631564?cid=

Kudos to the cop for not shooting the suspect and taking him alive instead (which is always the goal of course) - kept a cool head there for sure.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wowee. Video of the suspect being caught... Ummm. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THE IDIOTS WALKING BY?!?!??! Ugh! The stupidity/apathy of some people in today's society is so frustrating! :anguished:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrians-struck-white-van-1.4631564?cid=

Kudos to the cop for not shooting the suspect and taking him alive instead (which is always the goal of course) - kept a cool head there for sure.

The police chief said there was nothing to indicate the suspect was armed at the time of arrest.”
    What was he pointing at the police in the video??  Regardless, Canada should probably look into ramping up its vehicle laws.  Good guy with a van until he isn’t...Pretty sure if you banned all vans, there would be no van murders.
    We should start an “in memory” march coinciding with the date of the previous perpetrator of vehicular manslaughter.  It is obviously not safe to walk on sidewalks in Toronto...must be terrifying living there with all of the van owners.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

“The police chief said there was nothing to indicate the suspect was armed at the time of arrest.”
    What was he pointing at the police in the video??  Regardless, Canada should probably look into ramping up its vehicle laws.  Good guy with a van until he isn’t...Pretty sure if you banned all vans, there would be no van murders.
    We should start a march coinciding with the date of the previous perpetrator of vehicular manslaughter.  It is obviously not safe to walk on sidewalks in Toronto...must be terrifying living there with all of the van owners.
    Thanks for trolling this tragedy. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

“The police chief said there was nothing to indicate the suspect was armed at the time of arrest.”
    We should start a march coinciding with the date of the previous perpetrator of vehicular manslaughter.  It is obviously not safe to walk on sidewalks in Toronto...must be terrifying living there with all of the van owners.
    Maybe if there were “Van Free Zone” signs on the sidewalk?

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No shame.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No shame.
    Well if crazy people in Toronto did not have such easy access to vans, 8 people would be going back home to their families today.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,575
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No shame.
    Well if crazy people in Toronto did not have such easy access to vans, 8 people would be going back home to their families today.
    Van attacks don't happen anywhere near the frequency of "responsible" gun owners until their not going on shooting rampages in the US. Lame false analogy on your part. Wouldn't expect anything less though. Since the advent of the van, how many van attacks have there been in Canada? And, since you're making a veiled reference to guns, how many mass shootings have their been in Canada? In fact what's their death rate by guns per 1,000 inhabitants? Do you know if the driver's "crazy?" Because why, only "crazy" people with guns kill people? I thought it was "responsible" gun owners, until they're not, killed people?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Alek Minassian charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder, 13 attempted murders in Toronto van attack

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-van-attack

From the article...

Trudeau did not have any new information on the suspect’s possible motives, but said there is still no evident link to terrorism. “At this time we have no reason to suspect that there is a national security element to this attack,” he said.

The PM is very wrong.  What defines terror?  If driving a van mowing down innocents doesn't qualify as a terror act, what does?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

You're a real piece of work, damn.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No shame.
    We get it, there are many ways to commit mass murder quickly.  I think most of are bright enough to know that for most, vehicles improve people's day to day life ... an AR15 does not improve life. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,873
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Take 30 seconds and try to be the person that dog in your avatar thinks you are.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Uncool.

I'm not surprised to see a response like this though. The pro gun crowd is so desperate to bring any reasonable argument to the table legitimizing their position... they'll reach for anything.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    So this act of terror just may have been one committed because of women. Us goddamned women, not being into him and men like him enough. Shame on us. :weary:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-van-attack-driver-profile-alek-minassian-1.4632435?cid=

• Options
    Alek Minassian charged with 10 counts of first-degree murder, 13 attempted murders in Toronto van attack

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto-van-attack

From the article...

Trudeau did not have any new information on the suspect’s possible motives, but said there is still no evident link to terrorism. “At this time we have no reason to suspect that there is a national security element to this attack,” he said.

The PM is very wrong.  What defines terror?  If driving a van mowing down innocents doesn't qualify as a terror act, what does?
    ... But you know what he means man, right? When he says there is no national security element to it, he means that it's not an act connected to a terrorist network. Seriously, do you really want so much to try and make Trudeau look bad that you want to play dumb?
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    So this act of terror just may have been one committed because of women. Us goddamned women, not being into him and men like him enough. Shame on us. :weary:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-van-attack-driver-profile-alek-minassian-1.4632435?cid=

Initial accounts have it that this guy was just a pathetic loser that women couldn't find anything remotely positive to like... so he ran over a bunch of people because he was so mad that women recognized he was a loser and didn't want to associate with a loser.
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    dignin said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No shame.
    Van attacks don't happen anywhere near the frequency of "responsible" gun owners until their not going on shooting rampages in the US. Lame false analogy on your part. Wouldn't expect anything less though. Since the advent of the van, how many van attacks have there been in Canada? And, since you're making a veiled reference to guns, how many mass shootings have their been in Canada? In fact what's their death rate by guns per 1,000 inhabitants? Do you know if the driver's "crazy?" Because why, only "crazy" people with guns kill people? I thought it was "responsible" gun owners, until they're not, killed people?
    How many more before we can start calling them “assault vans”?