Canadian Politics Redux

1585960616264»

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BCPosts: 6,433
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJ_Soul said:
    It seems to me like the provinces have reign over the legal age in their province, so I agree that it's really weird that a province with a legal drinking age of 18 would make it 19. Makes sense in BC and Ontario, obviously. I mean, I understand what you're saying Often, and agree, but if that is the philosophy in Manitoba, then why wouldn't they make the drinking age 19 too? The same principles apply to either industry.

RE BC deciding that the LBD will be the sole wholesale distributor for weed... That sounds just fine to me. As long as they aren't the sole retailer, I'm good. I also don't really care if they get in on the retail side, as long as private retail is also available, which it will be. In fact, since BC Liquor is unionized, I would actually kind of favour some retail sales being done there.
    I'm not really sure what the other provinces will do about the minimum purchasing age, but I don't think there's any appetite to look at changing the minimum drinking age at this point. That's a lot of trouble for an issue that doesn't seem to have a lot of public concern behind it. Right now it's weed that's getting the attention; we've had decades to get used to the current liquor laws. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon WinnipegPosts: 12,120
    PJ_Soul said:
    It seems to me like the provinces have reign over the legal age in their province, so I agree that it's really weird that a province with a legal drinking age of 18 would make it 19. Makes sense in BC and Ontario, obviously. I mean, I understand what you're saying Often, and agree, but if that is the philosophy in Manitoba, then why wouldn't they make the drinking age 19 too? The same principles apply to either industry.

RE BC deciding that the LBD will be the sole wholesale distributor for weed... That sounds just fine to me. As long as they aren't the sole retailer, I'm good. I also don't really care if they get in on the retail side, as long as private retail is also available, which it will be. In fact, since BC Liquor is unionized, I would actually kind of favour some retail sales being done there.
    I'm not really sure what the other provinces will do about the minimum purchasing age, but I don't think there's any appetite to look at changing the minimum drinking age at this point. That's a lot of trouble for an issue that doesn't seem to have a lot of public concern behind it. Right now it's weed that's getting the attention; we've had decades to get used to the current liquor laws. 
    but why make the ages different?
    edited December 13
    PJ_Soul said:

but why make the ages different?
    Well, I'm just guessing here; I don't know if they will be different, but I just think there is enough public concern right now about potential negative effects of marijuana on developing brains to make them come down on the side of the slightly older option. But really,  what do I know?
    Post edited by oftenreading on
    It's just my view of political thought process - "what's the issue du jour, and how can we get around it with the least negative blow back, even if it doesn't make sense". 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BCPosts: 37,930
    But if weed is going to be sold in liquor stores (among other places), then wouldn't the legal age have to match the liquor laws?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    it won't be sold in liquor stores in manitoba. it will all be regulated and distributed by manitoba liquor and lotteries, but sold at licensed private businesses. 
    it won't be sold in liquor stores in manitoba. it will all be regulated and distributed by manitoba liquor and lotteries, but sold at licensed private businesses. 
    That's finalized? In BC will be the same for wholesale distribution, but I think it still remains to be seen if any retail sales will be done in BC liquor stores (among other retailers).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    That's finalized? In BC will be the same for wholesale distribution, but I think it still remains to be seen if any retail sales will be done in BC liquor stores (among other retailers).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/pot-plans-announced-in-manitoba-pallister-1.4391195

Manitoba has unveiled a "hybrid model" for selling pot in the province when recreational marijuana use becomes legal next July.

The Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corp. will secure the supply of marijuana and track it in Manitoba, but private retail stores will be in charge of selling it.

Pot won't be sold where alcohol is sold, which means the province won't have to pay for new storefronts, Premier Brian Pallister said at a news conference on Tuesday.

Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries will deal with supply chains and orders from retailers, and retail stores will open as early as July 2, 2018.

• CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via ChicagoPosts: 3,265
    PJ_Soul said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/pot-plans-announced-in-manitoba-pallister-1.4391195

Manitoba has unveiled a "hybrid model" for selling pot in the province when recreational marijuana use becomes legal next July.

The Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries Corp. will secure the supply of marijuana and track it in Manitoba, but private retail stores will be in charge of selling it.

Pot won't be sold where alcohol is sold, which means the province won't have to pay for new storefronts, Premier Brian Pallister said at a news conference on Tuesday.

Manitoba Liquor and Lotteries will deal with supply chains and orders from retailers, and retail stores will open as early as July 2, 2018.

i like a good hybrid
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16
    edited December 7
    Good job Manitoba.
    So far it sounds like only Ontario is severely fucking this up, lol.
    edited December 11
    Deal reached between federal and provincial governments re legal pot tax share - 70/30 for the provinces. Seems fair to me.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/finance-ministers-pot-tax-1.4442540?cid=

PJ_Soul said:
    Deal reached between federal and provincial governments re legal pot tax share - 70/30 for the provinces. Seems fair to me.

Yes, given the bulk of the costs fall to the province. I think that BC at least was hoping for 80/20 but it's an improvement over 50/50. 

The provinces need to share with the municipalities, though, because they will incur some additional costs too. I wonder how the economics of this will fall out. I know everyone is assuming it will be a big net gain; I guess we'll see. 
    edited December 11
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, given the bulk of the costs fall to the province. I think that BC at least was hoping for 80/20 but it's an improvement over 50/50. 

The provinces need to share with the municipalities, though, because they will incur some additional costs too. I wonder how the economics of this will fall out. I know everyone is assuming it will be a big net gain; I guess we'll see. 
    We shall. Of course, plenty of money will be saved via the criminal justice system, so that also has to be factored in. With the exception of stupid-ass Ontario, I think just the positive economic gain from a whole new, thriving legal industry will be more important than the tax revenue. It will provide jobs, licensing revenue, and probably even increase tourism.
    I wonder what the advertising rules will be? :pensive: I'm rather looking forward to seeing our first weed TV ad. :lol: Although I don't know if they'll be allowed to do that. They can't for cigarettes anymore, but they can for booze. :confused:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on