Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    Where to draw the line?

Think of the guy completely drunk and out of his mind that does something awful- only to shockingly discover what he has done the day after?

Much of what you said applies to this situation as well.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

Where to draw the line?

Think of the guy completely drunk and out of his mind that does something awful- only to shockingly discover what he has done the day after?

But a drunk person chose to drink, which makes all the difference in the world IMO (the justice system kind of thinks it's comparable though, at least sometimes. I don't approve of that).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    edited February 2017
    This was hung on Kellie Leitch's office last night apparently.
    Post edited by dignin on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Where to draw the line?

But a drunk person chose to drink, which makes all the difference in the world IMO (the justice system kind of thinks it's comparable though, at least sometimes. I don't approve of that).
    What about the mentally ill person that neglects to take medication? What about the alcoholic who has little control?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

PJ_Soul said:

Where to draw the line?

What about the mentally ill person that neglects to take medication? What about the alcoholic who has little control?
    Li wasn't fit to undestand he was ill. his family and friends apparently urged him repeatedly to get help, but he was clinically incapable of understanding that something was wrong.

i'm on the fence about alcoholism. I know it's classified as a disease, but people who have cancer aren't drinking it willingly. I have trouble buying that. I say anyone who kills someone in a drunker stupor is guilty, regardless of alcoholic status.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

He's fixed! Pshew.

"Baker has been described as a "model patient" who no longer suffers from the type of issues that triggered the July 2008 attack near Portage la Prairie. He was found not criminally responsible for the killing, dismemberment and cannibalization of McLean, 22, after several medical experts said he was suffering from command hallucinations linked to untreated schizophrenia at the time of the unprovoked attack."

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/tim-mcleans-killer-seeking-absolute-discharge-from-criminal-system-family-412241023.html

I don't understand why you're so snotty and uppity about this, even if you think he should never be released. He is profoundly mentally ill. You don't save any compassion for someone who literally had ZERO control over his actions?? Are you just ignorant to the nature of his illness, or do you just not distinguish between evil and mental illness? Or are you simply being insensitive?
    Understanding the capacity for violence if his illness is mismanaged... do you think it's a good idea to release this guy? He's seeking 'absolute discharge'. In other words... what's done is done and I'm ready to rock!
    I already stated what my opinion about his release is above.
    So what's your problem? We both think an absolute discharge is f**king nuts.
    I think I was pretty with my question... I was just asking about your apparent lack of sensitivity re the mental illness.
    You always think you're pretty.

I don't want Li released unconditionally. If that makes me insensitive then so be it.
    Haha. Ooops. Pretty clear! ;)
    Yeah, I got that. I don't think that makes you insensitive at all. As I already mentioned, I was wondering because of the tone you were using. It was an honest question. Some people do indeed think mentally ill people should be locked up in prison or even executed, so I guess I was asking what your attitude about dangerous psychiatric patients actually is. Perhaps it's different than what your tone suggested.
    My perspective has softened in these types of situations. Afford the dangerous psychiatric patient good care, but minimize his potential to zero.

I feel for the survivors. Mclean's parents should not be put through the task of protesting such a situation. It's one thing to accept their child was killed by a mentally ill person in such a way... it's another to accept absolute discharge as per the psychotic's demand.
    For sure, it's a terrible situation for the victim's family... I'm not sure I think that's something that can be cured though. The thing about Li is that it must be basically impossible for him to even accept responsibility in any real way. It would be like if you or me completely blacked out for some medical reason beyond our control - let's say from a stroke, however unrealistic that may be - and then during our uncontrollable black out we did something awful to someone. We have no memory of it whatsoever, had never even thought about doing such a thing in our lives. How does one have a sense of responsibility or even real guilt if they had no control and no memory of the event?? It's hard to blame Li for trying to seek all the freedom he can possibly get if he feels that his illness is completely under control. I consider Li a victim too TBH. It's a horrible situation for the victim's family, but as I said, no justice can be found in a situation like this. It's just an example of blameless shittiness that exists in the world. Like childhood cancer or something...... Excluding whatever blame can be laid upon the mental healthcare situation in Canada, which mostly lies on the shoulders of our provincial politicians.
    his doctors have said that it took a very long time for him to even understand what he did, but once he did, he felt such intense shame that I believe he either stated he wish he could die or that he should be locked up for life, I can't recall exactly which. But his self-guilt was understandably intense.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    I'm not sure about this election reform. it was one of his campaign promises. now he says the canadian people don't want it? where is his information coming from? sounds fishy.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

I'm not sure about this election reform. it was one of his campaign promises. now he says the canadian people don't want it? where is his information coming from? sounds fishy.

It's not fishy, he downright lied to us. This is about staying in power, now that he's had it for awhile he doesn't want to give it up.
  • Options
    Hugh...

I remember at the time of the incident it was widely reported he had neglected his condition. I'm not so sure it was a case of complete helplessness.

And given the complete horror of his crime... I can understand why he'd feel intense guilt as well. He's seeking an absolute discharge at the moment though. This is a significant step from feeling responsible, shame or guilt for the incident.

We're talking about the decapitation, mutilation, and cannibalization of a young man he had never met. We're not talking about a 'typical' murder.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

Hugh...

I remember at the time of the incident it was widely reported he had neglected his condition. I'm not so sure it was a case of complete helplessness.

And given the complete horror of his crime... I can understand why he'd feel intense guilt as well. He's seeking an absolute discharge at the moment though. This is a significant step from feeling responsible, shame or guilt for the incident.

We're talking about the decapitation, mutilation, and cannibalization of a young man he had never met. We're not talking about a 'typical' murder.

Thirty, an absolute discharge from the Review Board system is not the same as seeking a discharge from the court system, and it is definitely not the same as pleading not guilty in a trial. There is no implied refusal of responsibility for the index offence in asking for an AD; on the contrary, actually. For someone to even be considered for an AD what the RB members would look for is that the individual is taking responsibility for their illness and the actions they committed while ill, and taking all necessary steps to ensure that their illness doesn't affect them to the extent that they become a risk to the public again.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    You have to understand that the RB system isn't about punishment for something that has already happened, which is where some people get tripped up. It's about management of risk going forward. The people who most successfully manage risk and who are most likely to get a AD are those who work hard to reduce the risk from their illness, which includes being more active in their mental health care. Like I said yesterday, it's generally a transfer to civil mental health services.

And yes, civil mental health services can be patchy and inadequate, but its really unlikely that this guy is not going to get services going forward, given how high profile he is.

Final point - despite what the Harper government claimed, there is absolutely no relationship between the "brutality" of the index offence and the risk of recidivism. We have very good data on this. It makes good headlines for those who like the "tough on crime" stance but the changes that the Harper government brought into the NCRMD/Review Board system are meaningless in terms of reducing risk.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Hugh...

there's that old saying that says "crazy people don't know they are crazy, if you think you are, you aren't". And science supports that.

yes, he is seeking an absolute discharge, which, if he is well enough, and if there are checks and balances, which someone else stated there would be for someone like him, I'm ok with that. How do you think Li should reconcile being told repeatedly, and with merit, that he wasn't responsible for the crime, and that he is better now, with people thinking he should remain locked up? it is generally agreed upon that the justice system meets two criteria when administering justice:

a) punishment for the crime, and
    b) rehabilitation for successful societal reintegration.

"a" is not applicable since he wasn't criminally responsible.
    "b" has been completed.

given those two items, there is no reasonable reason to keep him locked up.

I cannot even fathom what McLean's family is going through. It must be utter hell. But you don't keep someone locked simply because of someone else's emotional response to the incident.

as PJSoul said, there is no justice in this situation, for Tim McLean and his family, or for Vince Li.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    dignin said:

It's not fishy, he downright lied to us. This is about staying in power, now that he's had it for awhile he doesn't want to give it up.
    changing positions is not the same as lying, however, I don't know which one this is at this point. you could very well be correct.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Moving forward:

1. His history of mismanagement of his illness.
    2. His potential for extreme violence.

Adds up to full time monitoring for me. Let's not trip over ourselves to grant levels of independence and eagerly display where we might have come to with regards to managing mental illness. This particular case demands heightened management and sensitivity for the public, not to mention the McLean family, in my mind.
  • Options

dignin said:

changing positions is not the same as lying, however, I don't know which one this is at this point. you could very well be correct.
    At the announcement yesterday their excuse for dropping electoral reform was a lie.
  • Options

Moving forward:

Adds up to full time monitoring for me. Let's not trip over ourselves to grant levels of independence and eagerly display where we might have come to with regards to managing mental illness. This particular case demands heightened management and sensitivity for the public, not to mention the McLean family, in my mind.

everyone with that type of illness "mismanages" it. he didn't know he was ill. what you are saying is virtually the same as blaming a cancer patient for not getting chemo prior to their diagnosis.

we aren't tripping ovr ourselves. pretty sure the professionals involved are well aware of the gravity of this situation, and are not making moves that are irresponsible. no one is pushing this through for the sake of claiming Li a success story of mental illness management.

I'm not sure what full time monitoring means to you. To me, it means whe oftenreading has stated, and that is sufficient for me.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

Moving forward:

everyone with that type of illness "mismanages" it. he didn't know he was ill. what you are saying is virtually the same as blaming a cancer patient for not getting chemo prior to their diagnosis.

we aren't tripping ovr ourselves. pretty sure the professionals involved are well aware of the gravity of this situation, and are not making moves that are irresponsible. no one is pushing this through for the sake of claiming Li a success story of mental illness management.

I'm not sure what full time monitoring means to you. To me, it means whe oftenreading has stated, and that is sufficient for me.
    I know you have spoken to his feelings of guilt, but don't forget that this appeal for greater freedom isn't the first effort. It wasn't even a year removed from his decapitation, mutilation, cannibalization episode when Li, mental health, and Li advocates were pushing for opportunities in the community.

He is already currently afforded significant time and opportunities, but that's obviously not enough for him and a few others. When I say tripping over ourselves to do more... this is what I'm getting at: it was no time at all before people were pushing for conditional releases and now it's a push for a significant release.
  • Options

Moving forward:

I know you have spoken to his feelings of guilt, but don't forget that this appeal for greater freedom isn't the first effort. It wasn't even a year removed from his decapitation, mutilation, cannibalization episode when Li, mental health, and Li advocates were pushing for opportunities in the community.

He is already currently afforded significant time and opportunities, but that's obviously not enough for him and a few others. When I say tripping over ourselves to do more... this is what I'm getting at: it was no time at all before people were pushing for conditional releases and now it's a push for a significant release.
    I don't know if his appeals for more freedom were a direct request from him,or recommendations from his caregivers. I would lean towards the latter. I highly doubt they came from Li. His professionals deemed his progress significant, and as part of rehab process, it makes sense to recommend opporunities when they feel the patient is ready for them.

I understand the reluctance and even shock of the general public. When his original appeal for chaperoned walks in the city, I was initially taken aback by how early it was. But I trust his handlers know what they are doing. Do people make mistakes? absolutely. But I think it would be safe to assume that in this very delicate and high profile case, no stone has gone unturned.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

Moving forward:

I don't know if his appeals for more freedom were a direct request from him,or recommendations from his caregivers. I would lean towards the latter. I highly doubt they came from Li. His professionals deemed his progress significant, and as part of rehab process, it makes sense to recommend opporunities when they feel the patient is ready for them.

I understand the reluctance and even shock of the general public. When his original appeal for chaperoned walks in the city, I was initially taken aback by how early it was. But I trust his handlers know what they are doing. Do people make mistakes? absolutely. But I think it would be safe to assume that in this very delicate and high profile case, no stone has gone unturned.
    I'm going to agree with much of this; however, I also feel that the magnitude of this case warranted extra sensitivity.

More time was necessary before people were ready to digest this for its reality. And given everything, Li wouldn't have been disserviced as a result.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited February 2017

Moving forward:

Many people find it impossible to really "get" mental illness. I think unless someone actually experiences it on some level themselves, they just can't understand how out of control things really are for the mentally ill. Every single person I know who has experienced some form of mental illness (mostly depression and/or anxiety and PTSD (something that I have suffered from), although I've known a few with even more serious illnesses) have said that they had NO idea what mental illness was all about until they experienced it themselves. They thought it was somehow, on some level, within a person's control. Like if they just use enough will power, they can overcome the worst of it, i.e. "manage" it. Well, that just isn't the case for most people, especially not when it comes to very severe mental illness.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Moving forward:

Many people find it impossible to really "get" mental illness. I think unless someone actually experiences it on some level themselves, they just can't understand how out of control things really are for the mentally ill. Every single person I know who has experienced some form of mental illness (mostly depression and/or anxiety and PTSD (something that I have suffered from), although I've known a few with even more serious illnesses) have said that they had NO idea what mental illness was all about until they experienced it themselves. They thought it was somehow, on some level, within a person's control. Like if they just use enough will power, they can overcome the worst of it, i.e. "manage" it. Well, that just isn't the case for most people, especially not when it comes to very severe mental illness.
    and I can understand that as well. having gone through a pretty significant mental break myself 16 years ago, and still not getting help for quite some time after that, because I thought I'd get locked up if I did sought help. There was even a point where I had something called "instrusive thoughts". I won't go into the specifics of what they were, but let's just say I very seriously considered taking myself out to protect my family and society in general. I found out later I wasn't crazy, but my anxiety had taken my brain to such a point where I was having these insane thoughts (most people have them, but their brain is wired in such a way that they don't even notice them, or forget them as quickly as they appear, but people in my case OBSESS about them), and even though i was in complete control of them, I didn't know that at the time.

anyway, this is why I have some understanding when it comes to Li. his crime was horrific. more horrific than I ever thought would happen in real life, not to mention so close to where I live. reading about it actually caused me so much anxiety I had a lot of issues functioning for a long time. it was a precursor to my relapse.

anyway, I sincerely hope that all the pieces are in place for his successful reintegration.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    electoral reform gives us the best chance to ever avoid a trump situation ... i know for a fact - that many of my progressive friends voted for him because of just this one item ... knowing the liberals weren't going to move the needle on any other major progressive issue (primarily environment) - this was something that would at least give us the foundation for the best governance moving forward ... objectively, he lied because of a) who he put in the portfolio to begin with and b) how the committee was run and reported on afterwards ...
  • Options
    ^^^
    Having said that, how do the many of your progressive friends feel about this latest event.
  • Options

^^^
    Having said that, how do the many of your progressive friends feel about this latest event.

any semblance of hope was dashed with the saudi arms deal and then the approval of the pipelines ... the liberals got a lot of strategic voting help last election ... they won't get the same number the next election ... and if he doesn't pass this electoral reform we could see that fucking asshole o'leary as our next pm ...
  • Options
    TB,
    Get your facts straight before debating on AMT.
    His name is Will Baker now and he will be fine. Your liberal heart should give him a chance.
    Peace
    He was later found not criminally responsible (NCR) and has since changed his name to Will Baker.
    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ambrose-presses-trudeau-on-greyhound-attacker/ar-AAmIeN2?li=AAacUQk&ocid=spartandhp
  • Options

TB,
    His name is Will Baker now and he will be fine. Your liberal heart should give him a chance.
    Peace
    He was later found not criminally responsible (NCR) and has since changed his name to Will Baker.
    http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/ambrose-presses-trudeau-on-greyhound-attacker/ar-AAmIeN2?li=AAacUQk&ocid=spartandhp

Yah I know that piece. That's what people do after they perform atrocities. They change their names.

A serial murderer in our area did the same thing. He also got married. Found God. And keeps applying for release every two years to which the survivors must protest.
  • Options

TB,
    Peace

Yah I know that piece. That's what people do after they perform atrocities. They change their names.

A serial murderer in our area did the same thing. He also got married. Found God. And keeps applying for release every two years to which the survivors must protest.
    he was most likely advised to do so for his own safety. I doubt it was his idea. and I don't really understand what the point of all of it is if it's fair game for the press to tell everyone his new name anyway.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited February 2017
    Finally our politics are about to become interesting for awhile.
    We are going to be hearing a lot more from him and I am certain he will win the leadership.
    https://www.facebook.com/kevinolearytv/posts/1340904859307344

Open Letter to the Premier of Nova Scotia
    Dear Premier McNeil,
    This past weekend I was in Halifax and met with hundreds of people from across Atlantic Canada. I must say, I had a wonderful time speaking to Nova Scotians. I got the strong sense, however, that you haven’t listened to them for a long time.
    Person after person told me the same thing – that they are worried about their local economy, how their friends or family members are struggling to find work, and the province is drifting in the wrong direction.
    Maybe you haven’t had a chance to get out of your office and talk with your voters recently? Thank goodness you have me. Let me try to explain the issue to you because you don’t seem to get it.
    Premier, your province has some of the most abundant resources in the country. Fishing, forestry, farming, natural gas – these are the key ingredients for economic success. Why isn’t your economy flourishing? When you have a land rich in resources and you do not use them for the benefit of the people, that really bothers me.
    Your province has some of the highest tax rates in the country, and yet also one of the lowest economic outputs. Do you think maybe those two things are related? I know, I know, it’s not your fault. When I talk to Liberal politicians, it never is. But you can still do something about it.
    I am promising all Canadians that 3% GDP growth will be my primary mandate when I take over in Ottawa in 2019. In order to achieve that, I need Atlantic Canada become an economic powerhouse. This will happen. Because you have the power to supercharge your economy through a real focus on resource development.
    For instance, let’s look at natural gas: you have effectively put a moratorium in place on extraction. That’s crazy – it’s gotta go. The concerns people had years ago have all been solved by advanced extraction technologies. The science has made this safe, and we must get extraction going. There are 1,500 jobs for Nova Scotians at stake. To that end, you must allow pilot projects in communities that wish to avail themselves of the bountiful on-land resources and significant royalties.
    As for off-shore – this is a vastly underdeveloped area because your tax policies are so punitive. The high bidding fees for exploration make it seem like you are more interested in exploration fees than royalty revenues from production. That’s so backwards, I’m sorry I can’t allow this to go on. Sir, you can do better. You must do better.
    Your province has so much economic potential. You just need to unleash it.
    I recently joined the Leadership Race for the Conservative Party of Canada. Fortunately, I reach millions of Canadians each week through the media, and I have promised all of them that I will shine the light on mediocrity and incompetence in government when I see it.
    So, I am putting you on notice. It’s time you start doing a better job for the people in Nova Scotia. If you don’t? Well you can ask your friend Kathleen Wynne what happened to her poll numbers when I started writing letters.
    Sincerely,
    Kevin O’Leary
    CPC Leadership Candidate
  • Options
    he is such an asshole.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    liberals could have ensured we would never see an ahole conservative PM ever again ... but as usual - they punted it ...