Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    the one thing we got going for us is our electoral system makes it a bit harder for a trump-like candidate from becoming PM ... if the Liberals actually go ahead with electoral reform - it will be even harder ...
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

dignin said:

Well, isn't this a scary thought. Canada is not immune to this kind of BS.

Is The Media’s Need For “Canada’s Trump” Making Leitch A Shoe-In?

http://www.canadalandshow.com/medias-need-canadas-trump-making-leitch-shoe/

Haven't read this yet (random google result from two days ago), but this has been building for a while...at first glance, the perfect choice for a Canadian trump.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/kevin-o-leary-surprises-with-potential-campaign-team-assembled-1.3200056
    I mentioned O'Leary months ago....and was laughed at.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    dignin said:

This is what I tried to suggest to BS who was having none of it: the nature of future campaigns will likely change. Parties see the value in manipulating the befuddled masses. Convince stupid people the opposition is dysfunctional and that you are awesome... and, without reason or fact... the moron vote has been won.

The moron vote is huge- there are more stupid people than intelligent people. Donald Trump won the presidency of the US for gawds sakes. This was not because people with half a brain believed he was going to make America great again... it was because people with less than half a brain did.

Stupidity at a shocking level.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited December 2016

dignin said:

Haven't read this yet (random google result from two days ago), but this has been building for a while...at first glance, the perfect choice for a Canadian trump.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/kevin-o-leary-surprises-with-potential-campaign-team-assembled-1.3200056
    The idea of him getting into politics bothers me, but O'Leary isn't anywhere near being like Trump.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited December 2016

dignin said:

I recall a somewhat healthy discussion about O'Leary a while ago, where nobody was laughing as far as I could tell. We were just discussing the likelihood of him actually becoming Conservative leader and what that would be like. Were you not a part of that conversation? O'Leary has been suggesting that he might give it a go for years. Only time will tell if he actually does it or not. If he does, and I think it's a possibility, I think his chances would be pretty good. As I said back then, all he has in his eyes are dollar signs, and it would be terrible for Canada IMO. However, he's no Canadian Trump. Not even close.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

I recall a somewhat healthy discussion about O'Leary a while ago, where nobody was laughing as far as I could tell. We were just discussing the likelihood of him actually becoming Conservative leader and what that would be like. Were you not a part of that conversation? O'Leary has been suggesting that he might give it a go for years. Only time will tell if he actually does it or not. If he does, and I think it's a possibility, I think his chances would be pretty good. As I said back then, all he has in his eyes are dollar signs, and it would be terrible for Canada IMO. However, he's no Canadian Trump. Not even close.
    maybe not laughed at, but pretty heavily dismissed.

you are correct, he is no trump. but trump's rise has paved the way for oleary and other non-politicians like him.

I doubt very highly oleary would be so embarassing. he's a blowhard, but I don't see him grabbing anyone by the p**sy or saying the same bullshit that trump says. he'll be disrespectful and dismissive of others' opinions, but not nearly in the same way.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited December 2016

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

you are correct, he is no trump. but trump's rise has paved the way for oleary and other non-politicians like him.

I doubt very highly oleary would be so embarassing. he's a blowhard, but I don't see him grabbing anyone by the p**sy or saying the same bullshit that trump says. he'll be disrespectful and dismissive of others' opinions, but not nearly in the same way.
    I dunno. I think his possible way was paved long before Trump had even really considered running for POTUS. It was as soon as O'Leary started talking about it. I don't see how Trump's win has any impact on it at all, knowing that this idea isn't new and isn't being viewed any differently than it was 2 years ago.
    I actually think O'Leary is capable of listening to others, and he isn't completely tactless (just looking at how is on Dragon's Den won't paint a full picture to say the least). Again, I think he would be terrible for Canada, but not for the kinds of reasons you're bringing up. He is terrible just because of his pin-point focus on money money money.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

I dunno. I think his possible way was paved long before Trump had even really considered running for POTUS. It was as soon as O'Leary started talking about it. I don't see how Trump's win has any impact on it at all, knowing that this idea isn't new and isn't being viewed any differently than it was 2 years ago.
    I actually think O'Leary is capable of listening to others, and he isn't completely tactless (just looking at how is on Dragon's Den won't paint a full picture to say the least). Again, I think he would be terrible for Canada, but not for the kinds of reasons you're bringing up. He is terrible just because of his pin-point focus on money money money.
    those aren't the reasons I think he would be a bad PM. those are the reasons I think he's an asshole. not just on dragon's den. I know that's for tv. but any time the guy opens his mouth he's a pompous shithead.

the reason i think he would be a bad PM is the same as you stated: money. he thinks very singularly, everything is financial.

did oleary start talking about it prior to trump announcing his run? I thought it was brought up after the fact.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

those aren't the reasons I think he would be a bad PM. those are the reasons I think he's an asshole. not just on dragon's den. I know that's for tv. but any time the guy opens his mouth he's a pompous shithead.

the reason i think he would be a bad PM is the same as you stated: money. he thinks very singularly, everything is financial.

did oleary start talking about it prior to trump announcing his run? I thought it was brought up after the fact.
    I don't like him one little bit, and agree he's an asshole, but to be honest I don't think he's as huge a consistent asshole as you do. I remember hearing him say plenty of non-asshole stuff too. I think it just depends on the topic and the context. At any rate, the idea of him leading is terrible, but I'd pick him over Leitch any day of the week.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Yes, that is excellent! That was one of the things I really held against Harper. He was literally pro-asbestos industry, which I always found really gross.
  • Options
    Bump for Rob Ford.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    He's not as crass or crooked as trump, but neither is our political scene in general... As you've all pointed out, he would still be in it for the money, he scores points with rednecks and assholes by being anti-PC, would be elected due to fame from a reality show, and would be horrible for Canada..I was cracking that the Canadian version would be much more palatable by comparison....(as in, tastes like ass instead of...).

• Options
    Could he have been elected PM? Or grand wizard?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Trudeau on Trump’s win
    Trudeau seems to have found some common ground with U.S. president-elect Donald Trump: despite their political differences, Trudeau says Trump's rise reminds him of his own surprise win in the 2015 election.
    In the interview, Trudeau compared the strategies that took both men to power.
    "When you connect with voters, when you connect with citizens and show that you’ve listened to them and, you know, are in alignment with how they’re feeling, this is what happens," Trudeau said.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pm-defends-fundraisers-blames-media-and-opposition-for-arousing-criticism-1.3207576
  • Options
    Freaking Trudeau.

Nice temperatures he's giving us right now.

Christ.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414

Freaking Trudeau.

Nice temperatures he's giving us right now.

Christ.

Toronto's not so bad today, but I would like it if Trudeau could take back all the wet, heavy snow I need to get to shovelling, lol (need more coffee first!).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited December 2016
    Post edited by PJfanwillneverleave1 on
  • Options
    So how about we talk about PM Trudeau
    "We can't shut down the oil sands tomorrow. We need to phase them out, we need to manage the transition off of our dependence on fossil fuels. That is going to take time, and in the meantime, we have to manage that transition."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-outreach-tour-friday-1.3934001
  • Options

So how about we talk about PM Trudeau
    "We can't shut down the oil sands tomorrow. We need to phase them out, we need to manage the transition off of our dependence on fossil fuels. That is going to take time, and in the meantime, we have to manage that transition."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-outreach-tour-friday-1.3934001

Hes the opposite of your jesus. And that's a good thing, just to be clear.

Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Ugh. He's going for it. :neutral:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/kevin-oleary-conservative-leadership-race-1.3939876?cid=

Um, he doesn't know how to speak French (which is presumably why he waited to announce this immediately AFTER the french-language debate, so he didn't have to attend it!). He has actually made fun of politicians who have made an effort to become fluent for the sake of their political careers. Can someone even be PM if they can't speak one of the two official languages?? How would he participate in the French language PM debate if he actually wins the Conservative leadership?

Anyway, I think he'll win the leadership simply for lack of other options. Sigh.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    fuck trudeau ... another wolf in sheep's clothing ... our arms deal with the saudi's is directly contributing to the genocide in Yemen ...
  • Options
    This is downright comical, watching a panel on The National denigrate Trump for not having won the popular vote while turning a blind eye to Trudeau's numbers in our last election (and Harper's before him, to be fair).

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

This is downright comical, watching a panel on The National denigrate Trump for not having won the popular vote while turning a blind eye to Trudeau's numbers in our last election (and Harper's before him, to be fair).

Different systems. Can't compare the two in that way.

But I am a firm believer in proportional representation.
  • Options
    dignin said:

Granted the system's are different (most notably a strong third party), but it really did feel like the pot calling the kettle black, especially with one of the panelists having defended Trudeau's "strong majority and mandate" in the past. In any case, it gave me a good chuckle, having been on both ends of the criticism (said it about Chretien, then was told about Harper, lol).

• Options
    edited January 2017

dignin said:

Granted the system's are different (most notably a strong third party), but it really did feel like the pot calling the kettle black, especially with one of the panelists having defended Trudeau's "strong majority and mandate" in the past. In any case, it gave me a good chuckle, having been on both ends of the criticism (said it about Chretien, then was told about Harper, lol).
    It's not the pot calling the kettle black because of the different systems. Trudeau basically did win by a landslide under our system.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

It's not the pot calling the kettle black because of the different systems. Trudeau basically did win by a landslide under our system.
    I'm sorry, but I'll never see less than 40% of the vote being a landslide victory. Going by the seats won, I suppose you could call it that, if you're prepared to acknowledge Harper's landslide. I'll continue to call them false majorities.

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

dignin said:

I'm sorry, but I'll never see less than 40% of the vote being a landslide victory. Going by the seats won, I suppose you could call it that, if you're prepared to acknowledge Harper's landslide. I'll continue to call them false majorities.
    Trudeau: 6.9 million votes
    Harper: 5.6 million votes
    Mulcair: 3.4 million votes
    Bloc/Green: 1.5 million total

1.3 million more votes in an election divided 5 ways is a pretty significant margin.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Looks like our PM is totally onboard with XL decision of President Trump

A lot of jobs, 28,000 jobs. Great construction jobs,"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-cabinet-keystone-xl-1.3949754
  • Options
    This is good.
    Canada will increase its funding to international organizations that provide abortion-related services after U.S. President Donald Trump signed an executive order blocking American funding for those services.
    http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-friday-edition-1.3955517/canada-to-increase-reproductive-health-funding-as-trump-orders-cut-1.3955523