Options

Biden announces he won't run for president

BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
edited October 2015 in A Moving Train
Post edited by Bentleyspop on

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I've always liked Biden for his directness and not really giving a shit about how the public perceives him, but 70 is my cutoff age for president.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    I am no Biden expert, but it doesn't seem like there is a lot of difference with him and Hilary other than people like Biden and don't like Hilary personally. Hilary's advantage over Joe Biden is that she is running to be the first female president so she has a large base of support that want a female president in the office.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,698
    Shame. Would have been good for the process imo.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,805
    Wow I'm actually pretty shocked.

severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    Maybe he realized that he didn't want to deal with all that stupid bullshit. It was probably a great decision on a personal level.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,886
    The longer it dragged on the less likely it was he was going to jump into the race. A shame because this crop of Democrats is weaker than usual.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    He found a new calling ...

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    JimmyV said:

The longer it dragged on the less likely it was he was going to jump into the race. A shame because this crop of Democrats is weaker than usual.

I think they are grabbing random people off the streets so they can justify having a televised debate.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited October 2015
    I can't even remember who is running besides Clinton and Sanders... Is there anyone else??
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    "Little mamacitas get their first lesson free"

Love it.
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,805
    PJ_Soul said:

I can't even remember who is running besides Clinton and Sanders... Is there anyone else??

There's David, Goliath and then the rest who have zero chance.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Maybe he realized that he didn't want to deal with all that stupid bullshit. It was probably a great decision on a personal level.

And how unpopular Obama is at this point. Can't remember the last sitting VP that ran and didn't win the election (never mind having any struggle in the primaries). Not being assured of winning I'm sure was the deciding factor. Thus, a decision made a reflection of their grounding in reality of the administration he is a part of and said he would run based on if he ran.

Consider he'd be a trustworthy candidate that doesn't think he can easily win vs a completely untrustworthy candidate who only has a chance bc she has a vagina.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

And how unpopular Obama is at this point. Can't remember the last sitting VP that ran and didn't win the election (never mind having any struggle in the primaries). Not being assured of winning I'm sure was the deciding factor. Thus, a decision made a reflection of their grounding in reality of the administration he is a part of and said he would run based on if he ran.

Consider he'd be a trustworthy candidate that doesn't think he can easily win vs a completely untrustworthy candidate who only has a chance bc she has a vagina.
    Most recent approval rating for Obama is up. At 51% now.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

PJ_Soul said:

Shows you the reliability of polls taken by people who actually answer their phones for stupid shit like that.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

mickeyrat said:

PJ_Soul said:

Shows you the reliability of polls taken by people who actually answer their phones for stupid shit like that.
    Comports with the last election %.

Edit for correction. Most recent gallup weekly poll oct 12-18 has him at 46%.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

PJ_Soul said:

No problem. Either way I'd trust Bidens indication that he doesn't think he can win to speak louder than any poll. Nobody who can be President decides not to. And if this administration was even somewhat popular, he'd cruise to the big seat. That's the point.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

PJ_Soul said:

No problem. Either way I'd trust Bidens indication that he doesn't think he can win to speak louder than any poll. Nobody who can be President decides not to. And if this administration was even somewhat popular, he'd cruise to the big seat. That's the point.
    Then you seem to believe he is disengenuous with his reason for not?

I think he can anyway regardless of late start or behind on fundraising.

• Options

PJ_Soul said:

A little history for you....

Only 4 sitting vice presidents have run and won the general election.

The last sitting vice president to run and win was Bush 41.

Before that it been 150 years since Martin Van Buren was elected in 1836.
  • Options
    The last to run and not win I believe was Nixon in 1960.

• Options
    JimmyV said:

Could argue Ford couldnt you?

• Options
    edited October 2015
    mickeyrat said:

JimmyV said:

Ford is definitely on the list of sitting VPs to run and lose.

Al Gore would be the most recent to run and lose
  • Options

mickeyrat said:

JimmyV said:

Ha...not sure how I forgot Al. But Ford was a sitting President by the time he lost, no?

• Options
    JimmyV said:

mickeyrat said:

JimmyV said:

Ha...not sure how I forgot Al. But Ford was a sitting President by the time he lost, no?
    Correct
    He was the first and only person to become president without getting elected to the position.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

mickeyrat said:

PJ_Soul said:

Then you seem to believe he is disengenuous with his reason for not?

I think he can anyway regardless of late start or behind on fundraising.
    Not mutually exclusive. Yes, those other factors played into it. But if he thought Obama was Reagan and not Clinton, those other issues wouldn't have factored in.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

mickeyrat said:

JimmyV said:

Me too obviously. Ha,ha. As for sitting VPs, ford highlights where that gets fuzzy. As you pointed out, Ford was Pres by time he would have run. Going back, how many 2 term Vps did we have? Anyway point taken on my history forgetfulness.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:

mickeyrat said:

JimmyV said:

Well neither were by election.