Options

*Updated* Joshua - The Love Boat Captain

Comments

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    stina1118 said:

Thank you both for sharing Joshua's story. Pearl Jam is no stranger to kids with special needs, as they've played Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit Concert plenty of times over the years. Two years ago, Pearl Jam couldn't make it to Bridge, so some of the Bridge School kids came to their show instead, and this happened. One of the greatest concert moments I've ever witnessed. Mike McCready was even moved to tears after the song was over.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYyOdGYS9sE

Thank you so much for sharing that video. That was so beautiful, I'm sobbing! Those are Joshua's peeps!!

I don't know what I loved more, the bands interaction with the kids, or watching those kids enjoy the heck out of the music. It was a beautiful moment and you were so lucky to experience that! I hope Joshua can have something similar some day. Taking him to bridge school show is definitely something we have considered for down the road. Thank you again, a great way to start my day!
    You are very welcome. The band has a very special relationship with the young lady in the video, Maricor. They met her at one of the first times the bands played the Bridge School Benefit, when she was attending the Bridge School. Every time they went back, they reported on her academic progress. She eventually graduated and attended UC Berkeley, where she has received two degrees! Her favorite song is Last Kiss. Even though it's not a "Pearl Jam song," they always play it for her when she's in attendance. There are plenty of youtube videos of Pearl Jam playing Last Kiss for Maricor at the benefit, and she's always beaming when they play it.

I wish everybody had the resources that the Bridge School provides. If nothing else, it provides a support group for the parents. Please don't ever feel like you are alone.
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    Such a lovely first post Josh. What a special little family you guys are.
  • Options
    Joshua, KEEP ON ROCKIN'
    indeed!!
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Icuraps said:

My name is Josh, I am Joshua’s Dad. I very rarely post anything online but my wife and I have both been extremely overwhelmed and appreciative of all of the kind words and PJ goodies for Joshua.

Sometimes we can feel isolated because its is difficult to get out as a family when you have a child with special needs. It is easy to think your going at it alone sometimes and not realize how many good people are out there. I want to sincerely thank all of you for posts, comments, and words of encouragement.

To the people that sent Joshua some things, I can’t even begin to tell you how awestruck I was of your thoughtfulness of a child you have never met. Although he is awesome. We are so appreciative and want to say thank you. We have been trying to explain it to him and while I’m sure he doesn’t understand he did seem excited.

Sincerely
    Josh

And while I know they aren’t PJ lyrics, I’m sure you wouldn’t mind Uncle Neil’s words;

I feel your love
    I feel your strong love
    I feel the patience among conditional love
    I feel a strength
    I feel your faith in me
    I'll never let you down no matter what you do
    If you just walk with me and let me walk with you
    I'm on this journey I don't wanna walk alone

Walk with me

first album I ever bought (I'm only 15)

cheers! Keep the love strong!
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    stina1118stina1118 Illinois Posts: 151
    We appreciate all the love!!! ✌
  • Options
    Bladamus MaximusBladamus Maximus Paris TN Posts: 277
    Thank you for sharing Joshua's love for the band. It's stuff like this thread that make me proud to be a fan for over 20 years. Hope to see you guys at a show one of these days!
    05-06-95 (EV with Mike Watt, Foo Fighters) Chicago
    07-09-95 Milwaukee
    10-07-96 Ft. Lauderdale
    06-29-98 Chicago
    09-22-98 West Palm Beach
    07-19-13 Wrigley Field
    10-14-14 Memphis
    04-26-16 Lexington
    08-20-16 (Wrigley I)
    08-22-16 (Wrigley II)
    08-18-18 (Wrigley I)
    08-20-18 (Wrigley II)
  • Options
    I'm so excited to show you all Joshua's Halloween costume!!!! Coming soon!!!
  • Options

Thank you for sharing Joshua's love for the band. It's stuff like this thread that make me proud to be a fan for over 20 years. Hope to see you guys at a show one of these days!

Yes!! Can't wait to meet you and the rest of our new friends (hopefully next year!) at shows! Thanks for the support!!
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,326
    Beautiful story! Congrats on a wonderful son! Would be awesome if someone at 10 club showed this to the band and they agree to meet him someday!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    Well, after about some hours of construction... We made Joshua the ultimate Halloween costume. Here he is ladies and gentlemen, your Love Boat Captain.

youtu.be/qJFF7xLT-WA

Happy Halloween!
    Love the Swansons
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    ^^^ That is awesome!!!! I hope he had a great Halloween! :jack_o_lantern:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    pearlgirl52pearlgirl52 At a Pearl Jam show, hopefully. Posts: 653
    Brilliant! This just made my night. Happy Halloween you guys! Thanks for being awesome.
  • Options
    wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    Wow!! That's is awesome. Have a very Happy Halloween.
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    :clap::clap::clap: well done. Happy Halloween!
  • Options
    Bladamus MaximusBladamus Maximus Paris TN Posts: 277
    "Love.....love....love". Beautiful! Happy Halloween!
    05-06-95 (EV with Mike Watt, Foo Fighters) Chicago
    07-09-95 Milwaukee
    10-07-96 Ft. Lauderdale
    06-29-98 Chicago
    09-22-98 West Palm Beach
    07-19-13 Wrigley Field
    10-14-14 Memphis
    04-26-16 Lexington
    08-20-16 (Wrigley I)
    08-22-16 (Wrigley II)
    08-18-18 (Wrigley I)
    08-20-18 (Wrigley II)
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,470
    That is fantastic! This thread makes me smile every time I come back to it. Happy Halloween!
  • Options
    cmaliszecmalisze Posts: 2,626
    Awesome!!!! Happy Halloween.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    Sent something small (2 items) for Josh, should be there today from OH...
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    stina1118 said:

Well, after about some hours of construction... We made Joshua the ultimate Halloween costume. Here he is ladies and gentlemen, your Love Boat Captain.

youtu.be/qJFF7xLT-WA

Happy Halloween!
    Love the Swansons

Sweetness!

Love to the Swansons.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    that is awesome.
  • Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,047
    Lots of love to you Josh and your amazing mom and dad. My wife and I hope to meet all 3 of you at a show one day soon and give you all big hugs as you are all a gift and thank you for being present in our lives
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    :rock_on:
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
  • Options
    Would someone from the Swanson family please PM me. I would like to offer you something for Joshua.

Thanks.
  • Options
    drsluggodrsluggo Posts: 4,742
    I hope you can make one of the shows! :)
  • Options
    Hey @drsluggo... Joshua's 10th birthday is April 6th, so it's the perfect opportunity to take him on a awesome (slightly delayed) birthday outing.

The past year has been amazing for Joshua's growth and development. He is so much more tolerant of public places and crowded situations. And, since he's got one show under his belt... He will be a little more comfortable. It will be very exciting to see how he does this time around.

We will keep you all posted once we get our arrangements figured out and hopefully we will be able to meet some of you. Warning... Joshua loves hugs and high fives, so be ready to give him some!!

• Options
    buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Maybe we can find someone here who is going and wins extra tickets?
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    Well the wife and I have both entered for Ft. Launderdale & Miami reserved seating and if we both happen to win I will have additional tickets. It obvisously would only be two, but would be glad to help out if I can
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    @BLACK35 and @buck502000 thank you so much for that! Once again, PJ fans are awesome!!

Since Joshua is in a wheelchair, we need to have access to seats that can accommodate the chair. So, we are working on that with some special help from an organization that has reached out to us. Fingers crossed it all comes through!!

Thank you both for the offer, I'll be sure to let you all know if we can't come up with tickets! By keeping this thread alive, hopefully the right person will see it and help us get the Wheelchair Accessible seating we need!
  • Options
    Here is hoping! Anything I can do to help please ask.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    stina1118 said:

Hey @drsluggo... Joshua's 10th birthday is April 6th, so it's the perfect opportunity to take him on a awesome (slightly delayed) birthday outing.

The past year has been amazing for Joshua's growth and development. He is so much more tolerant of public places and crowded situations. And, since he's got one show under his belt... He will be a little more comfortable. It will be very exciting to see how he does this time around.

We will keep you all posted once we get our arrangements figured out and hopefully we will be able to meet some of you. Warning... Joshua loves hugs and high fives, so be ready to give him some!!

Excellent!! I hope it works out so you and Joshua get to go to a show (or two or three). And I would love to get a hug from Joshua. :hug:
    ELITIST FUK