Options

Iambic Pentameter Couplets (rhyming and non-rhyming)

Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
I step into autumn showers prepared
wearing bright and glassy hanging earrings.
There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Workers' timesheets cut, removed, reviewed, stripped,
    placed and plotted across seekers' crosswalks.
    Post edited by Ms. Haiku on
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Monitored Joaquin gives DC notice
    gifting shops alerts of weekend showers.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Christmas goals of knitting presents creeping
    charged and frantic sweetly into mochas.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Last night/ I went/ to Sac/ to hear/ a bard
    Who spoke/ and read/ so fine/ but then/ coughed hard.

iamb: unstressed syllables followed by a stressed syllable called "feet". CHECK
    pentameter: five feet per line. CHECK
    Couplet: two lines. CHECK
    Poetic flow: FAIL :lol:

Truth is, I did go to Sacramento last night to hear west coast poet Donald Sidney-Fryer give a talk about the late Clark Ashton-Smith (contemporary of H. P. Lovecraft) who was a poet, sculptor, painter and author of fantasy, horror and science fiction short story writer. Donald gave a great talk but he was fighting a cold and lost his voice toward the end. A public speaker worst nightmare. But it was great anyway. My friend Darin filmed the talk as he is making a documentary of Ashton-Smith that hopefully will be out next year.

By the way, Ms. Haiku, that Cappuccino looks delicious!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    From the master (Willie S) -- there are so many that a pick up of his Sonnets is to marvel again and again at his skills. The ending of Sonnet 94 is an example...that is my favorite of his Sonnets that I have read. (Sonnet 94: They that have power to hurt, and will do none)

For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;
    Lilies that fester smell far worse than weeds
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Last night/ I went/ to Sac/ to hear/ a bard
    Who spoke/ and read/ so fine/ but then/ coughed hard.

iamb: unstressed syllables followed by a stressed syllable called "feet". CHECK
    pentameter: five feet per line. CHECK
    Couplet: two lines. CHECK
    Poetic flow: FAIL :lol:

Truth is, I did go to Sacramento last night to hear west coast poet Donald Sidney-Fryer give a talk about the late Clark Ashton-Smith (contemporary of H. P. Lovecraft) who was a poet, sculptor, painter and author of fantasy, horror and science fiction short story writer. Donald gave a great talk but he was fighting a cold and lost his voice toward the end. A public speaker worst nightmare. But it was great anyway. My friend Darin filmed the talk as he is making a documentary of Ashton-Smith that hopefully will be out next year.

By the way, Ms. Haiku, that Cappuccino looks delicious!

Thank you, brianlux :)

OMG! I got iamb wrong. *blush* I was going at it the wrong way with stress/non-stressed. I need a coffee. No wonder your's flows better even though you don't think it flows.
  • Options

From the master (Willie S) -- there are so many that a pick up of his Sonnets is to marvel again and again at his skills. The ending of Sonnet 94 is an example...that is my favorite of his Sonnets that I have read. (Sonnet 94: They that have power to hurt, and will do none)

Shakespeare rocks! I love his stuff.
    Have you read Neruda's sonnets? Those may be my favorites because as a reader I have to trust his meaning. It's not easy to read at first, but it's very sensual.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Ms. Haiku said:

Shakespeare rocks! I love his stuff.
    Have you read Neruda's sonnets? Those may be my favorites because as a reader I have to trust his meaning. It's not easy to read at first, but it's very sensual.
    Only briefly, never studied like I did WS. (I took a few different WS classes in college and loved them.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The Monday evening played my putty mind
    before this mocha rescue made me sane.
  • Options
    Contemporary groovy spin reworked
    Olympic “restless” song as danceable.
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    There isn't anything I'd rather write
    it's true, it's true, the bounce is fun to do!
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Nice one, justam!
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    Thanks! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    My hand is almost catching floating hearts
    releasing edgy sips of chocolate.
  • Options
    Was walking lost in autumn dreams when I
    became adrift along suburban streets.
  • Options
    Observing public art of diamonds I’m
    desiring metal rings of blue and green.