Options

Was anyone else dissapointed last night?

sonikreducersonikreducer Posts: 3
edited July 2006 in Given To Fly (live)
Alright I've been lurking here long enough, so I figured it was finally time to get some thoughts out there. I'm a long time PJ fan, and Chicago I and II this May were two of the greatest things I've ever experienced.

Last night I made the trip to Summerfest. After reading the setlist from night 1, I was so excited to see what they had in store for night two. With a full understanding that this would be a much shorter set, I still had high hopes of a rockin set. However, once they took the stage (by the way, where was master/slave at?) and opened with Last Kiss, I kind of got the feeling I might not get my wishes granted. The set continued, and while it was nice to hear Sad and Smile, I couldn't help but feel that the band was just trying to cater to Petty fans, powering through their best known hits, and leaving out all the gems that really make the band so special. Night 1 got Leash, In Hiding, and RVM...night 2 got Jeremy followed by Even Flow, and then two songs later we got Daughter with the same W.M.A. tag (they need the It's ok tag back)

I guess the best way to put all this is to think of how the band writes their setlist. They have the "will probably play" "might play" and the "probably won't play" songs. Each night they do a great job of pulling songs from each section to give fans the ultimate experience. Last night, it seemed like even with the short set, they decided to play almost all the songs in their "probably will play" category. While this left the majority of the drunk, loud, and annnoying fans dancing, yelling, and singing along even though they really don't know the words, it kind of left the true fans in the dust.

Sorry about all the ranting and raving, I was just kinda dissapointed last night because I know the band is capable of so much more; even with the short set. I just wanted to post because I was suprised to see people saying that last night was even better than both chicago nights
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,300
    i thought it was a decent set...don't forget about around the bend and indifference...both are very rare songs...they rocked out for sure. i was pleasantly surprised with the show.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    They were very on last nite, lots of energy from what I saw. Of course they weren't like chicago shows. I never saw that comment, but both nites were different and great. Sorry you didn't think so.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    NO CHANCE Chicago I and II were worlds better than Milwaukee I and II combined.

I can't see how anyone would say it was better than Chicago.

I read it in a fanview or something, not this thread(about Mil. being better than Chiacgo).
  • Options
    hrd2imgn wrote:
    NO CHANCE Chicago I and II were worlds better than Milwaukee I and II combined.

I can't see how anyone would say it was better than Chicago.

Who said it was. Of course chicago were better. Full sets no shit. lol

peace
  • Options
    AbnerielAbneriel Posts: 109
    I thought it was strange that they didn't play LBC last night...
    www.myspace.com/abneriel
  • Options
    PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Sorry you felt this way....I've been there too, it only takes another great show full of the songs you love to be happy with them again! I would have been very happy with the songs you got last night. I guess everyone is so different. I would have loved to see Smile, Around the Bend and Indifference. My two favorite songs are I Got Shit and SAD~~I love seeing SAD live!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • Options
    stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
    I was totally let down. I was at Chicago 1 and 2, and last night's show bummed me out. Opening w/ "Last Kiss" was a nightmare come true for me. Why did they move the starting time from 8:00 to 7:30, just so they could still come on at 8:00? There was no power outage last night.

I thought McCready was way down in the mix, could barely hear him. The solo in Evenflow was a disaster like I'd read about night one (was trying slow bluesy stuff, didn't really fit the song, whenever he'd go to do a bend on a high fret you couldn't even hear it).

I loved Indifference, I Got Shit, Sad, Smile, and STBC. Was really bummed to not hear Severed Hand, but they'd played so much new stuff Thursday night, I kind of expected it to be more old hits on Friday night.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    I was totally let down. I was at Chicago 1 and 2, and last night's show bummed me out. Opening w/ "Last Kiss" was a nightmare come true for me. Why did they move the starting time from 8:00 to 7:30, just so they could still come on at 8:00? There was no power outage last night.

I thought McCready was way down in the mix, could barely hear him. The solo in Evenflow was a disaster like I'd read about night one (was trying slow bluesy stuff, didn't really fit the song, whenever he'd go to do a bend on a high fret you couldn't even hear it).

I loved Indifference, I Got Shit, Sad, Smile, and STBC. Was really bummed to not hear Severed Hand, but they'd played so much new stuff Thursday night, I kind of expected it to be more old hits on Friday night.

The show rocked better then thursday. Jezz did you see the fans down in front? Great set , short well no kidding we knew it was gonna be. Hello Chicago was full shows. Of course they were better. Thanks for comming
  • Options
    stevieraveonstevieraveon Posts: 413
    The show rocked better then thursday. Jezz did you see the fans down in front? Great set , short well no kidding we knew it was gonna be. Hello Chicago was full shows. Of course they were better. Thanks for comming

Where did I complain about short set? And learn how to spell.
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • Options
    Where did I complain about short set? And learn how to spell.

Ahhhh that hurts so much. lol I hope you spent all your chicago money up at summerfest. We like when you guys do.
  • Options
    I agree, mike was way too low, and the bluesy stuff didn't work...I have to say that Stone was playing a lot better than mike last night. Truthfully, the whole mix needed to be turned up quite a bit. I know it was outside, but it was really hard to hear at certain points
  • Options
    obiwon76obiwon76 Posts: 568
    Any show that opens with Last Kiss should be.........
    San Fran 92, San Fran 93, Berkeley 93, Indio 93, Fairfax 94, DC 95, San Fran 95, DC 95, Va Beach 98, Columbia 98, Dc 98, Va Beach 00, Columbia 00, Philly 03, Bristow 03, Chicago 06, Chicago 06, Dc 06, DC 08