Options

In memory of...

hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
Perhaps because it's Rosh Hashana and I've spent the day nicely, happily and somewhat melancholily (new word?) buzzed with our kitties and going through some old photos and stuff, and that this holiday seven years ago was my father's funeral, felt the need to just get it out. Been many years since I formally celebrated this or other Jewish holidays but in retrospect, the date of his burial was fitting in so many ways, fitting of who he was. His religion meant much to him; having his faith took more from his life as a young teen than I can comprehend, yet in turn taught and gave him more character and grace than I can ever hope to achieve.

While I don't post personal / family photos (typically stick to those of nice bud and our cats!) wanted to share this old one of him. In Pisa, a month after turning 23, fresh from fighting in / surviving WWII. The happiness on his face right there was a constant; it was in his heart as well, genuinely so. He lived with humor and gratitude for all he had, demonstrated how you simply can't take anything for granted, to see what and who are truly worth being thankful for and act accordingly.

That's Cat #2 aka George sniffing the pic. Just FYI.

Anyway, this isn't meant to be a sad thread...though any and all sentiments are welcome. Just thought it'd be nice to have a place to share the love and memories of those we've lost, animals included.

For what it's worth, I've been smiling while writing. Still am :)

Comments

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    What a smile on that handsome fellow! Looks like it was and still is infectious! What an amazing generation of people they were. Very nice thoughts ma'am!
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    What a lovely pic of your father Hedo!

Happy New Year to you and your family.

My father in law passed last year, his service was held the day after Thanksgiving...fitting I suppose as he raised 5 kids.

Peace and love to all that have lost a loved one around the holidays.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    Hedo, my heart swells for you and your dad. Such beautiful words, and what an awesome picture. He looks like he would have been a blast to hang out with. On this day, and always: :hug:
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    Thank you for such kindness!

Yeah, the ladies came sniffing around after our parents split. They hated my sister and me because we always had their number.

I just caught part of People's Court (admit to having a crush on Judge Milian) and got tears because plaintiff daughter ended up hugging her defendant dad =)
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    Wonderful picture, he sounds like a great person. Shana Tovah to you and yours, Hedo!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    :hug:
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,468
    thanks for sharing, Hedo.

so.....you like those phony court shows, huh? hot bench, too? :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    "Hot bench" sounds like something I need to look up on Urban Dictionary.

And you know full well where I stand!

Must say though that the judges have a nice gig these days.

(do NOT take this as an opportunity to disparage Judy :angry: )
  • Options
    hot bench is a "judge" judy creation.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Hahaha!

I didn't know it's a show.

Checked it out a bit, looks like shit.

Wasn't intended to rhyme...and I noticed your "quotation".

• Options
    This thread is confusing.
    Is it about your mourning Hedo?
    or
  • Options

or

What exactly is muddling the process of getting it? Thought what I wrote was upfront but more than happy to expound if it wasn't clear.
  • Options

or

It is. I kinda derailed it, due to an inside joke.

It's about her love for her Dad.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

or

It is. I kinda derailed it, due to an inside joke.

It's about her love for her Dad.
    It's cool, Rob. We are.

I stand by my pm =)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    Sweet thread, Hedo. What a nice looking guy, your dad. :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Nice tribute to your dad; thanks for posting it.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Thank you, good folks :)
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    He lived with humor and gratitude for all he had, demonstrated how you simply can't take anything for granted, to see what and who are truly worth being thankful for and act accordingly.

What a wonderful man to smile about. Thank you for your kindness in sharing your dad with all of us. :smile:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    As everyone else has said, seems like an awesome guy. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    Sometimes recognition means shit, and other times it means so very much.

This is a case of the latter :)
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Wow! So inspiring, Hedo. I am going to try to be a better father and smile more.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    What a great picture, thanks for sharing. He seemed like a wonderful, wonderful man. How lucky are we to have fathers who have such genuinely impacted our lives for the better. Their legacy will always live on. Hits home with me. Hope you had a nice holiday.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    dankind - despite your av =) - I'm sure you smile a lot. It really does affect how we, as children/now adults, look back.

samjam, I've read of you and your late father. Sounds like he was a great dad, who obviously raised a lovely daughter.

Thank you both!
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Hedonist, you always have beautiful words and love the story of pops. I'm gonna spark one up for the fella and you.
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Hedonist, your tribute to your dad and this whole thread are wonderful and give me reason to smile. It's been nearly 8 years since I lost my dad; he meant the world to me and so much of who I am was formed by his upbeat attitude and positive outlook. How lovely that you can share this memory of your dad with us.

I want to add that since you mentioned your dad's faith and the observance of Rosh Hashana, I've always felt a slight envy of Jewish mourning customs. Until I worked with 2 Jewish women many years ago, I wasn't aware of shiva and other proscriptions for mourning loved ones. I think most of us kind of stumble around with our grief and often can't find a way to resolve it. It's also popular nowadays to say that we dislike formalized, old-fashioned rituals. But there's a reason that cultures establish those rituals and I think there's benefit in at least observing them to some extent. It gives us that chance to remember and honor our loved ones and helps us to accept their passing.

:hug:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Hedo, lovely post. I enjoyed reading about your dad. My dad passed away when I was in graduate school and he was such a big influence on my life. Encouraged my writing, busted my ass when I didn't try hard enough. My mom died about 5 years ago, but she had a good long life. My dad - he got gypped. I love this photo of the two of them. I remember thinking, "Wow, they're old and look how he's kissing her."

Thank you for making me smile when I think about my parents.

• Options
    Nart! Thank you, buddy. I'll be joining you later :)

WhoP, glad you got a smile! The rituals can / do help to cope (at least from what I've seen, having never formally sat Shiva). Try Persian-Jewish mourning rituals for an enhanced and unusual experience =) There's something to be said for sharing grief, even if only through tears or words or wailing in pain. And of course, we all have our own means of finding peace over time.

Your dad sounds like one of the good ones. You and all are welcome to share memories!

By the way, the ritual talk reminded me of the first episode of Six Feet Under; seems apropos:

Nate crosses to the mound of earth beside the grave, kneels down and plunges his hand in. He stands, holding a fistful of dirt, the sleeve of his suit jacket soiled.

Everyone stares, concerned, baffled, and in David's case, angry. He crosses to Nate and attempts to pull him back. Nate shakes him off, roughly.

NATE
    No. I refuse to sanitize this anymore.

DAVID
    This is how it's done.

NATE
    Yeah, well, it's whacked. What is this stupid saltshaker, this, this hermetically sealed box, this phony astroturf around the grave. Jesus, it's like surgery. Clean. Antiseptic. Business.

He was our father.

DAVID (quietly)
    Please don't do this.

NATE
    You can pump him full of chemicals, and put makeup on him, and prop him up for a (air quotes) "Nap" in the "slumber room," but the fact remains: The only father we will ever have is gone. Forever. And that sucks, but it's a goddamn part of life and you can't really accept it without getting your hands dirty. Well, I do accept it, and I intend to honor the old bastard by letting the world see just how fucked up and shitty I feel that he's dead.

And he angrily throws his fistful of dirt into the grave.
  • Options
    Enkidu - my gosh, that photo brought tears to my eyes. The most valuable gift parents can give their children is openly and honestly loving each other.

Love those ass-busting dads - and mine had a very similar shirt as yours =)
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Enkidu said:

Hedo, lovely post. I enjoyed reading about your dad. My dad passed away when I was in graduate school and he was such a big influence on my life. Encouraged my writing, busted my ass when I didn't try hard enough. My mom died about 5 years ago, but she had a good long life. My dad - he got gypped. I love this photo of the two of them. I remember thinking, "Wow, they're old and look how he's kissing her."

Thank you for making me smile when I think about my parents.

I wish this pic is me and my lady in the far future. Nice post.
  • Options
    Lovely photo and tribute Hedo. I almost feel guilty saying I had dinner with my dad tonight. We've had our share of losses, mom in Feb '14 and my brother in Dec '14.

Those losses have brought us closer together and for that I will be forever grateful.

Fathers are such strength to the family thread. God bless all of them.

And for those who are no longer with us, your imprint on your loved ones will live on.