Trophy Hunting

Comments

• We are losing our minds.

In Alberta... a dad is raising a child. At the child's 9th birthday party... the big event is shooting a bear. I think they lured it with cake. The dad, likely salivating and sporting a massive erection, is in full encouragement mode and eagerly instructs the boy- who is very eager himself- on how to kill the bear from their perch with his big gun.

The link obviously contains a brutal video:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/shocking-video-shows-bear-shot-6421130

Pretty normal stuff. I am thinking for the boy's 16th birthday... good 'ol dad will offer a drugged younger woman for the kid. I mean.. eventually you'd probably tire of killin' shit.

* The 9 year old is a better shot than the f**kwads with the grizzly.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

In Alberta... a dad is raising a child. At the child's 9th birthday party... the big event is shooting a bear. I think they lured it with cake. The dad, likely salivating and sporting a massive erection, is in full encouragement mode and eagerly instructs the boy- who is very eager himself- on how to kill the bear from their perch with his big gun.

Pretty normal stuff. I am thinking for the boy's 16th birthday... good 'ol dad will offer a drugged younger woman for the kid. I mean.. eventually you'd probably tire of killin' shit.

Relax Thirty Bills,
    Kids birthday games are varied.
    Did you ever once stop and think that pinning a tail on a donkey is way more cruel than shooting a bear?

Relax Thirty Bills,
    Did you ever once stop and think that pinning a tail on a donkey is way more cruel than shooting a bear?
    I guess. I'm kinda feeling like a failure as a dad. Boring parties where nothing got messed up.

If I could do it again... I'd have games 'Chase the Weakling'... or 'Get the Neighbour's Cat'.

Relax Thirty Bills,
    I guess. I'm kinda feeling like a failure as a dad. Boring parties where nothing got messed up.

If I could do it again... I'd have games 'Chase the Weakling'... or 'Get the Neighbour's Cat'.
    Now that's the spirit!
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,664

We are losing our minds.

FUCK, that is just absolutely fucking mindnumbingly disgusting. Teaching kids to enjoy killing ......tell me why these videos or newsfeeds always seem to feature Americans?
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited September 2015
    pdalowsky said:

We are losing our minds.

FUCK, that is just absolutely fucking mindnumbingly disgusting. Teaching kids to enjoy killing ......tell me why these videos or newsfeeds always seem to feature Americans?
    Pretty sure this kid was from alberta not the u.s. and the kid is 9 years old; here in nj you can get a hunting license at age 10.
    although the video did show the kill and i'm definitely not for baiting animals it only took one shot as opposed to the assholes the op mentioned. baiting is more common than you think: 23 of 32 states allow baiting. bc and the yukon are the only areas that prohibit baiting in canada.

besides the baiting part I honestly don't say anything wrong with a 9 year old kid going hunting. to each their own. teach the kid to respect wildlife; kill only something you are going to use.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Godfather.Godfather. Posts: 12,504
    callen said:

Can't watch. Realize we need animal population control but......

Just wish the odds were more fair so we added some human population control as well.

I will not watch it, human population control hahhahah awesome ! I'm the first guy to eat a burger or even have some bear meat if a friend is cooking it but I just don't have the heart to kill for entertainment, kill and grill is fine or donate the meat to a homeless shelter, back in the day my father and I hunted every year for deer and every year we stocked our freezer with it along with beef, pork and rabbit...we raised rabbits for sale and butcher along with cows and hogs..oh yeah and chickens,fresh eggs everyday, but for some time now I have just lost the need to do so,it's much easier to to go the store and buy meats although I do miss a venisson steak from time to time.

Godfather.

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

We are losing our minds.

Pretty sure this kid was from alberta not the u.s. and the kid is 9 years old;
    here in nj you can get a hunting license at age 10.
    although the video did show the kill and i'm definitely not for baiting animals it only took one shot as opposed to the assholes the op mentioned. baiting is more common than you think: 23 of 32 states allow baiting. bc and the yukon are the only areas that prohibit baiting in canada.

besides the baiting part I honestly don't say anything wrong with a 9 year old kid going hunting. to each their own. teach the kid to respect wildlife; kill only something you are going to use.
    I'm curious when you say baiting an animal, what does that mean.....what are you doing?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    g under p said:

mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

We are losing our minds.

I'm curious when you say baiting an animal, what does that mean.....what are you doing?

Peace
    I'm no hunter, but I think it means putting out bait to draw animals in, rather than actually going out and finding/stalking them. In this context would suggest less skill is involved.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Oh I see basically that is a kind of hunter that too lazy to walk, stalk for miles to seek the animal he or she is hunting. Gotcha, he/she would rather sit in possibly a tree stand and wait for said animal to come by after the trap is set. I think that's very weak. :frowning:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

g under p said:

mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

We are losing our minds.

Peace
    I'm no hunter, but I think it means putting out bait to draw animals in, rather than actually going out and finding/stalking them. In this context would suggest less skill is involved.
    That would be correct. I m not a fan of this at all.
  • I have no issue with 9 year olds hunting.

I just have an issue with trophy hunting. It is a rare person that shoots bears for food. Other mammals and birds make for much better eating. It is the norm that people shoot bears for a nice rug on their floor.

Secondly... this is a birthday party. In my opinion, this is a demented way to celebrate a 9 year olds' birthday. Killing stuff must be a big ticket item in that household for that event to take center stage.

When I was young, I begged my dad for us to go shoot a bear. He rebuffed my efforts every time explaining that a bear was something we could not kill because it couldn't offer us anything (with regards to our deep freeze). I wanted a rug badly and never understood- being about the same age as this kid. I got it eventually and I'm so glad dad had ethics.

Again... it just seems callous. And the grizzly hunters still piss me off. You just hope karma is a real thing.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Thirty, I didn't grow up with any kind of hunting but your post reminds me of when I was a kid and how all of my aunts had fur coats. Remember visiting them in NY and while the weather dictated the need, I think it was also part of its era and culture, of demonstrating wealth too - their having come to the US with virtually nothing.

My dad never bought one for my mom; not sure if an ethical or financial decision. My stepdad has gotten her a couple (ridiculous for living in LA, among other reasons). She made a point of saying my sister and I will eventually get them. I don't want 'em!

I have no issue with 9 year olds hunting.

I just have an issue with trophy hunting. It is a rare person that shoots bears for food. Other mammals and birds make for much better eating. It is the norm that people shoot bears for a nice rug on their floor.

Secondly... this is a birthday party. In my opinion, this is a demented way to celebrate a 9 year olds' birthday. Killing stuff must be a big ticket item in that household for that event to take center stage.

When I was young, I begged my dad for us to go shoot a bear. He rebuffed my efforts every time explaining that a bear was something we could not kill because it couldn't offer us anything (with regards to our deep freeze). I wanted a rug badly and never understood- being about the same age as this kid. I got it eventually and I'm so glad dad had ethics.

Again... it just seems callous. And the grizzly hunters still piss me off. You just hope karma is a real thing.

I have issues with trophy hunting too. It s so damn egotistical.
    By the way, I like how your dad thinks. My dad was the same way.
    Ai
    mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

We are losing our minds.

Pretty sure this kid was from alberta not the u.s. and the kid is 9 years old; here in nj you can get a hunting license at age 10.

wait? They were planning to eat the bear?

It's the kids reaction I found appalling ... He couldn't have given two fucks if it was dinner or not. He enjoyed the kill. He enjoyed the entertainment. Again my small brain just cannot comprehend that

What 9 year old needs to learn to hunt ? 9 year olds surely should be enjoying the innocence of childhood. Perhaps it's a geographical thing, hunting is just not that popular out here
    pdalowsky said:

Ai

mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

We are losing our minds.

It's the kids reaction I found appalling ... He couldn't have given two fucks if it was dinner or not. He enjoyed the kill. He enjoyed the entertainment. Again my small brain just cannot comprehend that

What 9 year old needs to learn to hunt ? 9 year olds surely should be enjoying the innocence of childhood. Perhaps it's a geographical thing, hunting is just not that popular out here
    yeah you can eat bear. I've had it once and it's ok...i'd rather just go for a nice ny strip though.

the kid did enjoy the kill but you have to realize that hunting is a huge part of the culture in a lot of canada and the u.s.
  • My money says these people were not shooting the bear to eat it.

The people I know that eat bear use the meat for stewing, ground meat, or jerkey. It's not exactly a choice protein source- especially the bears that make their living in the land fills.

Much of the animal is discarded.
    mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

Ai

mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

We are losing our minds.

yeah you can eat bear. I've had it once and it's ok...i'd rather just go for a nice ny strip though.

the kid did enjoy the kill but you have to realize that hunting is a huge part of the culture in a lot of canada and the u.s.
    Oh I understand what you are saying Mike, but at the same time I will never understand what you are saying. To enjoy killing something for fun, is absolutely fucked up in my opinion. Nothing will ever sway that.
    pdalowsky said:

mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

Ai

mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

We are losing our minds.

Oh I understand what you are saying Mike, but at the same time I will never understand what you are saying. To enjoy killing something for fun, is absolutely fucked up in my opinion. Nothing will ever sway that.
    lol, got ya. yeah hunting is one of those subjects where you are either for it or against it....not many people lie in the middle.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

Ai

mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

We are losing our minds.

lol, got ya. yeah hunting is one of those subjects where you are either for it or against it....not many people lie in the middle.
    I am pretty much in the middle. I don't hunt, but I understand the reason people do. I don't get upset over ethically guided hunting but the story of this thread really pisses me off.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

Ai

mcgruff10 said:

pdalowsky said:

We are losing our minds.

I am pretty much in the middle. I don't hunt, but I understand the reason people do. I don't get upset over ethically guided hunting but the story of this thread really pisses me off.
    Well I stand corrected lol.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    This is not a black and white subject. This is a great podcast

http://www.radiolab.org/story/rhino-hunter/
  • Clayton Stoner of the Anaheim Ducks faces charges for an illegal grizzly bear hunt- out of season and without a proper license.

Don't click on the link below to read if you do not wish to see the dumb f**k holding the bear's head while smiling like a dickhead.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/nhl-player-clayton-stoner-faces-charges-for-grizzly-bear-hunt-1.3231806
  • Ridiculous:

The B.C. government authorized 3,469 grizzly bear tags in 2015, up from 3,067 in 2014 but down from 3,786 in 2013. On average, hunters have killed about 270 grizzly bears in British Columbia every year since 2010. The province estimates there to be 15,000 grizzlies in British Columbia – about a quarter of the entire North American population.

But Chief Doug Neasloss, of the Kitasoo/Xai’xais First Nation, is skeptical of the government’s estimates, having worked as a bear-viewing guide for more than 14 years. “It’s certainly not 15,000. I would say it’s not even close to that.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/graphic-video-fuels-calls-to-end-grizzly-bear-hunt-in-bc/article26298947/
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    ^^^ Yes, atrocious.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Trophy hunting for grizzlies has now been banned, though unfortunately too late to cancel the 2017 season.

Grizzly hunting for food apparently will still continue, though some say that will be very rare since most "food" kills are really disguised trophy kills. Anyone killing a grizzly for food will be required to surrender the hide, head and paws.

A great start in my books.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/grizzly-bear-trophy-hunt-to-be-banned-in-b-c-1.21876304

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Trophy hunting for grizzlies has now been banned, though unfortunately too late to cancel the 2017 season.

Grizzly hunting for food apparently will still continue, though some say that will be very rare since most "food" kills are really disguised trophy kills. Anyone killing a grizzly for food will be required to surrender the hide, head and paws.

A great start in my books.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/grizzly-bear-trophy-hunt-to-be-banned-in-b-c-1.21876304

I have been following this and yes... I am so happy that we are not issuing licenses to go kill a grizzly bear, chop it up, and hang parts of it on your wall at home.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    As a life long hunter the op s story makes me sick. These hunters are complete pieces of shit. They in no way represent what I ve witnessed in 27 years of hunting. It s always the vast minority of people that fuck it up for everyone else.
    Same thoughts here.  Most hunters I know have a deep respect for the animals they harvest.  A good hunter studies shot placement and practices to improve their accuracy in order to mitigate suffering as much as is possible.  I understand the need for culling now and then, but this should not be how it is done.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I’d rather be with an animal than kill one !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....