Can someone explain something to me?

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
I need a basic run down on audio interfaces - like you were talking to a complete novice. Check these out...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/audio-interfaces

What the hell do these do to instruments, vocals? Do they only work with DAW's like ProTools?
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Those are for converting analog audio signals into digital signals that are then sent into a computer running recording software. So, you can plug direct instruments into 1/4" instrument inputs, or plug microphones into XLR mic preamps, and the interface will convert that into a digital signal that can plug into your computer's USB or Firewire port. Some of them come with their own software, some are just interfaces and you provide your own software. With the way that ProTools works these days, I think that all of those interfaces would work with ProTools, if that's what you want. There are certainly cheaper software systems available. They should all do instruments and vocals, but you would need to provide your own microphones, stands, and mic cables to get anything other than direct instrument inputs (like if you wanted to record electric guitar via a mic on the guitar amp, like most people would do).

I think that answers your basic question, but is there anything you are still lost on?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    One more follow up. Mic'ing my drum kit with up to 6 mics total. Would ProTools isolate each mic into its own track (i.e snare mic gets its own track, etc,)? I currently use a Mackie VLZ mixer with 6 XLR inputs. Each input has its own channel on the mixer which is great for EQ & panning, but on GarageBand all 6 mics go into ONE track! It has made tracking drums very difficult.

Thanks for answering my post earlier! It makes sense to me now. I got my latest copy of Musicians Friend in the mail and the cover featured home studio stuff. Got me thinking about my recording set up.
    www.cluthelee.com
    You would need an interface that allows at least 6 inputs at a time to record to 6 individual tracks. Fortunately, a lot of interfaces have more than 6 inputs. What you have been doing so far is more like sub-mixing, where you put multiple mics through a mixer and record to a single track (I would assume you could record to 2 tracks in stereo with your setup, which still isn't perfect).

It's not uncommon to use sub-mixing, like when you have two mics on the bass drum being mixed onto one track. When I got started on home recording, we had a system with 4 track simultaneous, so we would record bass drum, snare drum, and a stereo (2 track) submix of the toms and overheads. However, most pros would record every mic as an individual track. This gives you the most flexibility to work with everything down the road.

Even the most basic versions of ProTools let you record 16 simultaneous tracks or more (I forget the latest stats, but I'm sure it's at least 16) so you would be fine on the software end of things. You just need an 8-channel recording interface with 8 mic preamps to handle all your drum mics.

Feel free to keep asking, I got answers so far (and I'm sure others will chime in also).
    Thanks for the info on this! I think over the years I have learned how to do good mic placement, panning & sub-mixing to get drums sounding a slight bit above 'demo' status, even if it's all going to one track. The only pain is when the snare mic picks up too much hi-hat. I don't know much about EQ and any of the controls you mentioned that come with ProTools, but I've seen it in action in a studio when we did our last album. We're going to try to get into a studio for the first time together next year and in the meanwhile I am content with my current set up at home. I spent a crazy amount of time reading, learning & trial and error to get myself to a comfortable place with home recording.

www.cluthelee.com
    Also wondering about my current guitar set up. I have used this cable since 2008 http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-Technology-GarageBand-Guitar-Cable/product-reviews/B0002VRP8C
    I run it from my Fender Princeton out to the line in port on the back of my Mac for most 'line in' recording. From there I have used a variety of Gargeband effects and even made some of my own settings. Also because I'm running from my amp, I have used my pedal board and various pedals for effects, and simply used a 'dry setting' within Gargeband to rely on those outboard effects. I like what I've done overall with tone, effects, etc, but I'm curious about using some of these pricey A/I interfaces like the Apogee. It looks like you just plug your guitar in and then use whatever DAW you have and off you go right? Is the sound better? I see basic USB connects and then lightning bolt connections for Mac for faster work.
    www.cluthelee.com
    Some guitar-specific interfaces are specifically for use with a set of modeling software, so you can use your computer as a POD-type unit. Usually, you just plug straight into the interface, and then use software to provide effects and amp modeling. Your current setup is different, because you are using your pedal effects and then using the Princeton as a preamp. You aren't modeling anything, but neither are you getting the sound of a guitar speaker or any "room" sound.

Especially where electric guitar is concerned, you probably aren't going to see any increased quality of sound just based on a fancy interface. The signal quality and fidelity out of electric guitar pickups aren't really going to take advantage of high-quality A/D conversion or anything. The biggest difference is on the software end of things, where there is an enormous difference between good and bad amp modeling software.

Lastly, USB versus Firewire or Lightening Bolt connections: This comes down to quantity of data that can be transferred in real time. However, this doesn't mean faster work, since it's a function of real time. Firewire and Lightening Bolt connectors can transfer more data, which usually translates to more simultaneous tracks of audio. USB usually means limiting yourself to 2-4 inputs, depending on how much return audio the interface is handling, what sample rate/bit depth, and what USB generation your interface and computer are running (USB 1.0, 2.0, 3.0, etc).