Options

sex in PJ songs

2»

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,354

Well, for YEARS I though Black said "Her legs spread out before me as her body once did" not "Were laid out before me...."

:lol: i thought the same thing
    I think 99% of us thought that
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    WASH
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    That one about insexts was pretty racy. No, wait, that was about bugs. Never mind.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    igotid88 said:

Well, for YEARS I though Black said "Her legs spread out before me as her body once did" not "Were laid out before me...."

:lol: i thought the same thing
    I think 99% of us thought that
    guilty!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329

Ugh, Pearl Jam sexual? Nooooo!!! WTF you guys?! This has AET written all over it!

If this was in AET it would be closed and 4 people would be banned as this is an all ages forum.
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    TheGhost said:

dankind said:

You know what Pearl Jam contemporaries (OK, a little older) wrote awesome sex songs?

Jane's Addiction.

"Three Days" is a fucking masterpiece! (Pun intended.)

Jane's was sexual but respectful
    Trent Reznor toed the line when it comes to respect, but he wrote some pretty awesome sex songs, too.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers managed to somehow cross that line but still not seem like pigs. I would guess that most people my age got down to business with Blood Sugar Sex Magik in the background for noise-cancellation purposes (for parents, siblings, roommates or hallmates).
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I thought the black lyric was "her lace spread out before me.." that's not correct?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited August 2015
    I don't know, but perhaps because they want to just experience sex and know that everyone just has to do it rather than pontificate about it, so therefore there is no point in singing about it?? I mean, if they were writing lyrics about sex they would really have to tap into their own sexual experiences, given that their lyrics tend to really come from the soul, and the sex theme is simply too intimate for them. Like, if they had songs about sex it would be like inviting us into their bedrooms in a way, which is probably a line they don't want to cross. They already bare their souls. No need to bare their sex lives too.... Just a thought.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited August 2015
    YLed2 said:

WASH

Interesting.... you're right, it could be about sex in part, but that's not really the theme of that song, and it could also be interpreted in a different way, though the filthy mind lyrics makes you think about sex... but I always took that more as a different kind of filthy. Like more dirty or sullied or deceitful rather than perverted or whatever you want to call it. I think it's about pure love as opposed to dishonest love, in the end. Not sex. Though cheating could play into it if one wants to interpret it that way....

This is a good thread.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    Just off the top of my head, here are some songs about sex:

Led Zeppelin: "Whole Lotta Love". Some great guitar work from Page but, the lyrics? I love Zep but really, this one should have been a pass.

Bad Company: "Feel Like Making Love". Yeah, well OK dude, have a great time. One of the most heavy handed 70's rock songs ever but one of many good reasons punk evolved.

Rolling Stones: "Brown Sugar". Keith rips it up with some great licks and Mick proves that he is sexually color blind. Okey dokey, LOL!

John Mayall: "Brown Sugar". Same title, totally different song, same basic message: "Us Brits dig them black chicks." Okey dokey x 2, LOL!

Starland Vocal Band: "Afternoon Delight". Heard this in a thrift store the other day and ran for my life, jumped in the car and blasted some Dinosaur Jr as loud as my battered ears could take it.

Paul Westerberg: "What Ever Makes You Happy". Contains the best sex-related song line I can think of off the top of my head: You`re starving for affection/ I guess sex just lets you down. A sweet and sad song, like all of Paul's best.

So my conclusion? If your gonna sing about sex, make the listener cry or laugh but don't expect a gold star. I'm glad PJ has, for the most part, very much dodged this topic in their songs.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    wait, Eddie didn't write that song that goes 'I want to fuck you like an animal'?
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,774
    And to clarify, there's a big difference between songs referencing sex and sexy sounding songs.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

And to clarify, there's a big difference between songs referencing sex and sexy sounding songs.

Yes!
  • Options

yep
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Fuck Cincy?
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options

Fuck Cincy?

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
  • Options

Fuck Cincy?

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA
    And Fuck South America too!!!!!
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    QuarterToTenQuarterToTen Cincinnati, Ohio Posts: 3,626
    edited August 2015

Post edited by QuarterToTen on
    Nice shirt.
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    "I have a bigger cock than Flea and Patrick Ewing combined, but I don't want to brag." - Ed Vedder, Seattle 1, '00
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    brianlux said:

Led Zeppelin: "Whole Lotta Love". Some great guitar work from Page but, the lyrics? I love Zep but really, this one should have been a pass.

Bad Company: "Feel Like Making Love". Yeah, well OK dude, have a great time. One of the most heavy handed 70's rock songs ever but one of many good reasons punk evolved.

Rolling Stones: "Brown Sugar". Keith rips it up with some great licks and Mick proves that he is sexually color blind. Okey dokey, LOL!

John Mayall: "Brown Sugar". Same title, totally different song, same basic message: "Us Brits dig them black chicks." Okey dokey x 2, LOL!

Starland Vocal Band: "Afternoon Delight". Heard this in a thrift store the other day and ran for my life, jumped in the car and blasted some Dinosaur Jr as loud as my battered ears could take it.

Paul Westerberg: "What Ever Makes You Happy". Contains the best sex-related song line I can think of off the top of my head: You`re starving for affection/ I guess sex just lets you down. A sweet and sad song, like all of Paul's best.

So my conclusion? If your gonna sing about sex, make the listener cry or laugh but don't expect a gold star. I'm glad PJ has, for the most part, very much dodged this topic in their songs.

I like your list, but just for the record, although the Stones "Brown Sugar" was - in their twisted way - a "celebration of Black women", no one should be confused: the lyrics are about having sex with slave women, literally. And sex with slaves was almost never consensual on the slave's part, so in essence it's a song celebrating raping Black women, which is about as f***ed up as it gets:

Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
    Sold in the market down in New Orleans
    Scarred old slaver knows he's doin' all right
    Hear him whip the women just around midnight

Brown Sugar, how come you taste so good
    Brown Sugar, just like a young girl should

Drums beatin' cold, English blood runs hot
    Lady of the house wonderin' when it's gonna stop
    House boy knows that he's doin' all right
    You should have heard him just around midnight

Brown Sugar, how come you dance so good
    Brown Sugar, just like a black girl should

I bet your mama was a tent show queen,
    And all her boyfriends were sweet sixteen
    I'm no school boy but I know what I like
    You should have heard them just around midnight

I said, yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!
    How come you, how come you dance so good
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!
    Just like a, just like a black girl should
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!

• Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    edited August 2015
    JH6056 said:

brianlux said:

I like your list, but just for the record, although the Stones "Brown Sugar" was - in their twisted way - a "celebration of Black women", no one should be confused: the lyrics are about having sex with slave women, literally. And sex with slaves was almost never consensual on the slave's part, so in essence it's a song celebrating raping Black women, which is about as f***ed up as it gets:

Gold Coast slave ship bound for cotton fields
    Sold in the market down in New Orleans
    Scarred old slaver knows he's doin' all right
    Hear him whip the women just around midnight

Drums beatin' cold, English blood runs hot
    Lady of the house wonderin' when it's gonna stop
    House boy knows that he's doin' all right
    You should have heard him just around midnight

Brown Sugar, how come you dance so good

I bet your mama was a tent show queen,
    And all her boyfriends were sweet sixteen
    I'm no school boy but I know what I like
    You should have heard them just around midnight

I said, yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!
    How come you, how come you dance so good
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!
    Just like a, just like a black girl should
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, wooo!

.....ANYWAY! Just off the top of my head.... Rock and Roll is a distillation of American vernacular music. Music that is obsessed with sex, love, and courtship when it isn't about God or murder, or all at once. Listing Rock songs about sex is an endless task. My point is that if you listed the biggest and best Rock bands of all time, PJ would be among the most intellectual and least sexual lyrically. I think it's because of their roots in 80's punk and their intentional contrast to LA Hair Metal. ... or something like that..

Post edited by TheGhost on
    Your light made us stars