Options

sex in PJ songs

Any one have any thoughts on why there is so little mention of sex in PJ lyrics? They must have the least sexy lyrics and aesthetic of any big rock band... ever.
Your light made us stars

Comments

• Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    Sex isn't an "angry" subject. :lol: I dunno
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    TheGhostTheGhost Posts: 534
    I guess a lot of more aggressive rock music isn't "sexy" But PJ isn't just aggressive rock. They can be romantic, sure, but Johnny guitar is the only song I can think of that has much innuendo.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Two worlds that don't intersex, I mean intersect.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    Well, for YEARS I though Black said "Her legs spread out before me as her body once did" not "Were laid out before me...."
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    Alive sort of
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Dare I say deep refers to possible rape...
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    That ain't sex, Ms. Foxy!

For me, when it comes to music and making sexy-time, it's typically more about the groove and intensity of voice than the lyrics themselves.

(see In My Tree - owooogah!)
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I'm surprised this seems like such a mystery folks... rock and roll is overrun by songs about sex, bands that ooze sex, suggestions of sex before and after the sexy rock show... Pearl Jam set out right from the beginning to NOT just be another band selling sex. Isn't that obvious from the lyrical focus from Day 1? And then the more they got attention for not just being talented but being beautiful men, it obviously got a lot more intense for them (especially Ed). Ed in particular seemed to set out to be NOT SEXY as much as possible (ha, good luck with that one Ed ;) ), but they all kinda both balanced being hot (cuz they ARE a gorgeous buncha guys) with not FOCUSING on being hot.

And when you're trying to keep the focus on your music and the lyrics/messages, you don't play to sex. You don't vamp it up. Mother Love Bone was a wholly different animal, lots of sex there. But Andrew and Ed clearly both crazy talented, but vastly different stage presences and public personas.

I'm not even faintly surprised by the lack of sexual innuendo or blantant reference in PJ songs. I'll never forget in Philly in 2000, first time I saw a woman flash her boobs at a PJ show, and I thought "Wow, really? It's come to that?" But then I realized that given how absurdly huge they were in the 90s, it's kind of a miracle that was the first bare boobage I saw :D
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

I'm surprised this seems like such a mystery folks... rock and roll is overrun by songs about sex, bands that ooze sex, suggestions of sex before and after the sexy rock show... Pearl Jam set out right from the beginning to NOT just be another band selling sex. Isn't that obvious from the lyrical focus from Day 1? And then the more they got attention for not just being talented but being beautiful men, it obviously got a lot more intense for them (especially Ed). Ed in particular seemed to set out to be NOT SEXY as much as possible (ha, good luck with that one Ed ;) ), but they all kinda both balanced being hot (cuz they ARE a gorgeous buncha guys) with not FOCUSING on being hot.

And when you're trying to keep the focus on your music and the lyrics/messages, you don't play to sex. You don't vamp it up. Mother Love Bone was a wholly different animal, lots of sex there. But Andrew and Ed clearly both crazy talented, but vastly different stage presences and public personas.

I'm not even faintly surprised by the lack of sexual innuendo or blantant reference in PJ songs. I'll never forget in Philly in 2000, first time I saw a woman flash her boobs at a PJ show, and I thought "Wow, really? It's come to that?" But then I realized that given how absurdly huge they were in the 90s, it's kind of a miracle that was the first bare boobage I saw :D

You nailed it. I think it's interesting.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783
    edited August 2015
    hedonist said:

For me, when it comes to music and making sexy-time, it's typically more about the groove and intensity of voice than the lyrics themselves.

Agreed hedo!! Of the Girl soooo sexy. Also No Way and Wash have a very sexy groove. Dare I say.....hot

Eta. You Are is seriously sexy too
    Post edited by shetellsherself on
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Satan's Bed has a reference to oral sex. Lol.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I never sucked Satan's dick
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Bring is back...Back...to the clean forn....
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158

hedonist said:

Agreed hedo!! Of the Girl soooo sexy. Also No Way and Wash have a very sexy groove. Dare I say.....hot

All or none is frikkin sexy!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,783

hedonist said:

All or none is frikkin sexy!!
    Yes!
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I always thought animal was a sex reference.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I guess I'm wrong. I shouldn't have dared.
    JH6056 said:

I don't think anyone is confused. I think we all understand that PJ is about the music and their voice/rights. :)

Whipping has interesting lyrics...
  • Options
    URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,624
    They respect women so they write beautiful love songs instead.
  • Options
    URthekey said:

Hear, hear!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2015
    You know what Pearl Jam contemporaries (OK, a little older) wrote awesome sex songs?

Jane's Addiction.

"Three Days" is a fucking masterpiece! (Pun intended.)
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    The lyrics to Rival and Supersonic come to mind...
    Never mind the euphemism that is Pearl Jam, ha.
    PJx69
    EVx11
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    URthekey said:

Exactly.

I'm curious as to what the OP was looking for, some raunchy lyrics degrading women??
    Never going to happen.

Sex is not love, Kevin. (St. Elmo's Fire).
  • Options
    URthekey said:

yup. nailed it.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    dankind said:

You know what Pearl Jam contemporaries (OK, a little older) wrote awesome sex songs?

Jane's Addiction.

"Three Days" is a fucking masterpiece! (Pun intended.)

Jane's was sexual but respectful
    Your light made us stars
  • Options

URthekey said:

Exactly.

I'm curious as to what the OP was looking for, some raunchy lyrics degrading women??
    Never going to happen.

Sex is not love, Kevin. (St. Elmo's Fire).
    not at all. It's just that tons of American music is all sexed up, but PJ come from a specific generation and time/place that results in them being one of the least sexual big time rock bands ever. They're not only respectful about the subject, they just don't mention it very much at all.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options

The lyrics to Rival and Supersonic come to mind...
    Never mind the euphemism that is Pearl Jam, ha.

And yeah, the band name can be interpreted as extremely raunchy... but the music... not so much
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    moozeekfanmoozeekfan Posts: 194
    Johnny Guitar seems to be about the lovin,' especially the last verse.
    Target Center - Jun 30, 1998
    Allstate Arena - Oct 09, 2000
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 16, 2003
    United Center - Jun 18, 2003
    Fort William Garden - Sep 09, 2005
    Xcel Energy Center - Jun 27, 2006
    United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    Xcel Energy Center - Oct 19, 2014
    Xcel Energy Center - August 31, 2023
    Xcel Energy Center - September 2, 2023
  • Options

Johnny Guitar seems to be about the lovin,' especially the last verse.

Yup, that line about "Coming just for me" Might be PJ's raunchiest lyric.
    Your light made us stars
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Ugh, Pearl Jam sexual? Nooooo!!! WTF you guys?! This has AET written all over it!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878

Well, for YEARS I though Black said "Her legs spread out before me as her body once did" not "Were laid out before me...."

:lol: i thought the same thing
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly