Options

Corgan blocked reissue of classic soundtrack. There won't be a Singles Vinyl Reissue?

Comments

• Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    my2hands said:

I have some advice for Billy Boy, get over yourself bro

What a fucking dousche bag

Come on man.. Aren't you Chicago's very own? Have some love for the home team! ;)
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited August 2015

Corgan only blocked Epic from using the demo to Drown. Soundtrack is still on.

How do we know that? any info on a release date, it's definitely not coming in august... I am guessing closer to the holidays, maybe RSD?

• Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,189
    Good for Corgan... somebody needs to stand up to the record industry... they fucking killed rock n roll.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    edited August 2015
    The only thing I take away from all the recent posts about Billy Corgan is he's one unhappy mo fo. I hope someone gives him a hug soon.

PS and D, I wouldn't call Billy Corgan a credible source of news...
    Post edited by Suziemay on
  • Options
    Suziemay said:

The only thing I take away from all the recent posts about Billy Corgan is he's one unhappy mo fo. I hope someone gives him a hug soon.

I'm sure he's perfectly happy when he wakes up in his north shore mansion..pets his cats..checks his bank statement...Walks for tea at his successful tea shop near by..and then does what ever the hell he wants the rest of the day.

Your probably looking into the tmz shot of him at Disneyland too much..
  • Options
    Wma31394 said:

Suziemay said:

I'm sure he's perfectly happy when he wakes up in his north shore mansion..pets his cats..checks his bank statement...Walks for tea at his successful tea shop near by..and then does what ever the hell he wants the rest of the day.

Your probably looking into the tmz shot of him looking disgruntled at Disneyland too much..

• Options
    lotsalemonlotsalemon Boston Posts: 2,734
    my2hands said:

Corgan only blocked Epic from using the demo to Drown. Soundtrack is still on.

How do we know that? any info on a release date, it's definitely not coming in august... I am guessing closer to the holidays, maybe RSD?

If it's gonna be an RSD release, I hope it's not limited!!
    Mansfield 06.28.2008 | Boston 05.17.2010 | Boston 06.19.2011 EV solo | Wrigley Field 07.19.2013 | Worcester 10.15.2013 | Worcester 10.16.2013 | Hartford 10.25.2013
    Vancouver 12.04.2013 | Seattle 12.06.2013 | Memphis 10.14.2014 | Quebec City 05.05.2016 | Ottawa 05.08.2016 | Toronto 05.11.2016 | Boston 08.05.2016 | Boston 08.07.2016 | Amsterdam 06.12.2018 | Boston 09.02.2018 | Boston 09.04.2018

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2015
    I love the psychedelia of Gish, and I don't even listen to the other records anymore. Granted, I only bought up to Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness. And I never even gave Pisces Iscariot a listen. (I think I had all the Gish-era stuff as B-sides, and that was all that interested me.)

Anyway, puerile move -- and in no way punk rock (at least, not in my book), more like punk kid -- but we've all come to expect about as much from Billy Corgan, right?

At any rate, this being old news, maybe he and Cameron Crowe have worked out something for the rumored Vinyl Films release. That way, we get the demo, and Epic still gets to fuck off. Although, I'm pretty sure that Epic fucked off around 2002, along with the rest of the major labels that were reeling around then.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

Corgan only blocked Epic from using the demo to Drown. Soundtrack is still on. There will just be no extra Pumpkins tunes (thats a good thing)

But yes he's pretty much ruined my Pumkins fandom just by speaking to reporters the last fifteen years. I cant even listen to them anymore. Its sad when people you liked turn into annoying bitter people.

Still a fan. He can do whatever he wants. Fans don't always get everything they want.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418

Corgan only blocked Epic from using the demo to Drown. Soundtrack is still on. There will just be no extra Pumpkins tunes (thats a good thing)

But yes he's pretty much ruined my Pumkins fandom just by speaking to reporters the last fifteen years. I cant even listen to them anymore. Its sad when people you liked turn into annoying bitter people.

Still a fan. He can do whatever he wants. Fans don't always get everything they want.
    As we know all too well around here. Especially on the 10th of each month, lol!
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    How are we going to listen to all of these great tunes without Billy Corgan releasing the demo? Oh yeah, the soundtrack that I've owned the last 20 years. You need to wake up and stop buying music you already own in different packaging.
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,602
    ^ maybe just don't say anything if it bothers you so much. People can make their own decisions.
  • Options
    I think it is funny how there is so much hate for Corgan on this site....
    PJ has been victim to the same shit he is talking about.....
    Epic wouldn't let Neil Young use Pearl Jam's name on "Mirrorball" because it was coming out on Warner Brothers.
    The movie studio almost canned the "Singles" movie unless Cameron Crowe could convince Pearl Jam to play an MTV special to promote it.
    I am always on the side of the artists vs. the greedy corporate labels.
    They have been abusing artists for years.... just ask Prince.

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    lolobugg said:

Epic wouldn't let Neil Young use Pearl Jam's name on "Mirrorball" because it was coming out on Warner Brothers.
    The movie studio almost canned the "Singles" movie unless Cameron Crowe could convince Pearl Jam to play an MTV special to promote it.

Agreed. But wouldn't you say that greedy corporate labels got their comeuppance more than a decade ago?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    kramer73 said:

^ maybe just don't say anything if it bothers you so much. People can make their own decisions.

I would rather they release new music if they need the cash instead of releasing packaging.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    dankind said:

lolobugg said:

Agreed. But wouldn't you say that greedy corporate labels got their comeuppance more than a decade ago?
    not enough... they just fired staffers and underlings, and forced out the presidents that really cared about music. Nowadays major labels are being run by evil "bottom line" fuckers that only see music as a commodity that they can make money off of. That is why there is so much shit on the radio right now. I respect artists like Billy that have the nerve to do it his way and speak out against the music industry.

Even indie labels are suspect... i have several friends whose bands took years to make royalties because they were paying back their labels for "promotion" and "advertising" that they never asked for.

there are some great indie bands out there but there is a lot of fluff trying to pass for rock n roll these days.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

1996- Charleston, SC

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2010- Bristow, VA

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

2024- Baltimore

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,591
    Too bad. Maybe the demo cut out the last 4 minutes of feedback on Drown.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited August 2015

You need to wake up and stop buying music you already own in different packaging.

You want to buy an original LP for me? It would be greatly appreciated
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    my2hands said:

You need to wake up and stop buying music you already own in different packaging.

You want to buy an original LP for me? It would be greatly appreciated
    Sorry, I just don't understand the fascination with vinyl. It isn't like this album is Mozart.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Some people have record players and enjoy listening to vinyl. What's not to understand?
  • Options
    AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,205
    i like the pumpkins, and normally i would take this as just another billy corgan rant where he may or may not (but most likely does) sound like an asshole. but the dude has a point. the pumpkins weren't on epic (or any sony subsidiary), so it certainly wasn't in their best interests to help promote a song/band not on their roster. the pumpkins' label couldn't do anything with it, either, since the song was delivered to epic and not on any other pumpkins release. so you have a song and band gaining popularity and the label choosing in-house bands to support instead. if you're trying to break in- and make no mistake, the pumpkins were not a household name by any stretch of the imagination- and have a label you gave music to failing to support that momentum, i'd be pretty upset, too, and less inclined to help you out in the future.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Some people have record players and enjoy listening to vinyl. What's not to understand?

They take up a lot of space, some albums require 2, 3 or 4 different vinyls that you need to flip, spending $20 to listen to something you've listened to for 20 years already on CD, etc....

I just don't think it is worth it for the perceived additional sound quality. But hey, let's pay to listen to State of Love and Trust for the 1,001 time instead of forcing them to come out with new music to get at our money.

I understand though that people love their vinyl.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

They take up a lot of space, some albums require 2, 3 or 4 different vinyls that you need to flip, spending $20 to listen to something you've listened to for 20 years already on CD, etc....

I just don't think it is worth it for the perceived additional sound quality.
    If it's just the same tracklist, then no, no thanks. I don't need this on vinyl either, as much as I love the format. A second disc of stuff? Yeah, you've got my interest.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    rssesqrssesq Fairfield County Posts: 3,299
    Ata boy Billy!
    Industry rule # 4080 = Record company people are shady.
    PS I am gonna hear it for this but, seriously folks, DROWN is the best song on SINGLES.
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,840
    rssesq said:

Ata boy Billy!
    Industry rule # 4080 = Record company people are shady.
    PS I am gonna hear it for this but, seriously folks, DROWN is the best song on SINGLES.

ATCQ :bee:
  • Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,474
    So...he's upset that Epic wanted to promote their bands, and especially a band from the Seattle music scene in a movie about the Seattle music scene? Weird...
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,931
    I think he's upset because they could have promoted both. But instead they sunk his track in favor of their artist. Which is fine. But he has the right to be upset too.

Also, Singles was probably delayed from August (was it an Augiust release? or just a solicit in August?) because record pressing now has a 6 month lead time, so its possible they pushed by the digital and CD until they get a release date for the wax.

• Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,931
    Also can we get a thread title edit, because its clearly not the case. He just denied them use of a demo as a bonus track. This is such a non story.
  • Options
    I have a suitable replacement for Drown....just in case...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I have a suitable replacement for Drown....just in case...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qORYO0atB6g

"I'm intercontinental when I eat french toast!"
    I SAW PEARL JAM