KEXP PRESENTS RAW POWER: A Tribute to The Stooges with Mike McCready

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
http://www.pearljam.com/news/0/1/22707/kexp_presents_raw_power_a_tribute_to_the_stooges_with_mike_mccready
KEXP PRESENTS RAW POWER: A Tribute to The Stooges with Mike McCready
August 07 2015

FREE, HISTORIC CONCERT ON THE ROOF OF PIKE PLACE MARKET!

Sunday, August 23, 2015 at 7:00PM

What could possibly inspire four of Seattle’s most iconic musicians to rock a city landmark with the music of Iggy Pop for FREE? Independent, non-profit Seattle radio station KEXP!

Music fans will soon be able to enjoy year-round, exclusive live performances both inside and outdoors at KEXP’s New Home at Seattle Center—but it’s still under construction. As a nod to the extraordinary shows to come, KEXP is hosting a one-of-a-kind FREE concert at another local attraction, Pike Place Market, on Sunday, August 23 at 7:00PM.

RAW POWER KEXP features four Seattle music legends—Mike McCready (Pearl Jam, Mad Season), Duff McKagan (Guns n’ Roses, Velvet Revolver), Barrett Martin (Screaming Trees, Tuatara), and Mark Arm (Mudhoney)—performing songs of punk pioneers The Stooges on the Market rooftop.

This show marks the first time anyone has performed on the roof of Pike Place Market. RAW POWER will play directly underneath the iconic “Public Market Center” sign and clock where Pike Street and Pike Place meet. This concert is FREE and open to the public.

Though the show itself is free, music lovers can enjoy a complete VIP experience and help build KEXP’s New Home, by participating in a special CrowdRise fundraiser. Enter to win access for two to an intimate pre-show dinner and VIP after party with the RAW POWER musicians and a select group of KEXP Groundbreakers and DJs, up to $1,000 in travel expenses and a signed, limited-edition event poster. Cost is $10 for 1 entry, $25 for 3 entries and $50 for 7 entries with proceeds benefitting the Campaign for KEXP’s New Home.

“My favorite places to find new music are Seattle's best radio station, KEXP, and independent record stores,” says RAW POWER musician and Co-Chair for KEXP’s New Home Campaign Mike McCready.“It’s important for me to do what I can to keep spaces like these thriving so that generations of music lovers continue to hear legendary bands like The Stooges while discovering new artists that come out of Seattle each year.”

About KEXP:
Founded in 1972, listener-powered KEXP serves music lovers, artists, and the broader community over the airwaves, online, and at events across Seattle and around the world. KEXP enriches lives by championing music and discovery, showcasing the best music of all eras and styles. More than 158,000 listeners tune into KEXP 90.3 FM weekly and approximately 57,000 unique users access KEXP.ORG every week.

In order to serve you better, KEXP is building a new facility at Seattle Center (scheduled to open spring 2016). KEXP’s New Home is designed specifically to reach more music lovers, break down barriers between listeners and their favorite artists, and make it even easier to share new music and experiences with KEXP Community members worldwide. Please visit KEXP.ORG and NewHome.KEXP.ORG for more information.

Comments

• demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,335
    Sweet! B)
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    demetrios said:

Sweet! B)

I concur! But again, booooo! Lucky locals tho!
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    Epic!!
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Man I'd love to see this!!
  • Patrick_Sea3Patrick_Sea3 West Seattle Posts: 889
    Should be good!
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    We will be in town for Modest Mouse this will a cool addition to our trip!

-Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

• SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    Sick!!!
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
    http://newhome.kexp.org/meet-the-groundbreakers-ashley-oconnor-mccready-and-mike-mccready/

"Most importantly, Ashley O’Connor McCready and Mike McCready have been the driving forces behind the Raw Power KEXP event at Pike Place Market on Sunday, August 23. Getting four of Seattle’s biggest music icons to play music together on the roof of the Pike Place Market is no easy feat, friends!"

:)
  • DC3528DC3528 Posts: 56

Wicked promo! Man do I hope this get's Blu-ray'd!
  • courtmcccourtmcc South Jersey Posts: 1,143
    I donated and I will donate again after payday happens. Anything for KEXP. I love that station.
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,465
    Does this mean Mike will stop creating exclusive interview content for Sirius Pearl Jam radio?
    Contest ends TODAY @ noon ET. https://www.crowdrise.com/RawPower
    Front row seats are still available for purchase over @ http://www.pikeplacemarketfoundation.org/rawpower/
  • courtmcccourtmcc South Jersey Posts: 1,143
    I wonder who won!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    I hope KEXP releases this show on cd/dvd or cd/blu ray with proceeds going to the new KEXP home
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

So who's the lucky winner that won the Crowd Rise contest?
    Buy afterparty tickets over @ http://engage.washington.edu/site/Calendar?id=126601&view=Detail .. KEXP New Home Benefit - Raw Power After Party Matt's In The Market - Corner Market Building

Join the band and other KEXP Groundbreakers for a VIP after-party in Corner Market Building immediately following the rooftop show. You’ll enjoy drinks and snacks courtesy of Matt’s in the Market, and proceeds benefit the campaign to build KEXP’s New Home at Seattle Center. There are a very limited number of spaces for this exclusive event, so get yours now!
    http://newhome.kexp.org/raw-power-kexp-after-party-tickets-vip-experience-winner/

And congratulations to Terri P. of Portland, OR, the winner of the RAW POWER KEXP VIP Experience contest. Thank you Terri—and everyone who entered the contest—for helping us build KEXP’s New Home. We’re excited to see you at Pike Place Market on Sunday, August 23 for RAW POWER KEXP.
    https://www.facebook.com/635072843173295/photos/a.635335406480372.1073741828.635072843173295/1162506183763289/?type=1

@Barrett Martin

RAW POWER! Post rehearsal selfie, left to right: Barrett Martin, Mike McCready, Mark Arm, and Duff McKagan. This Sunday August 23rd we're throwing down our favorite Stooges tunes from the roof of the Pike Place Market. It's a benefit for community radio station KEXP and the Pike Place Market. Show starts at 7 pm and it's free to the public! #barrettmartinofficial #mikemccready #markarm #officialduffmckagan #kexp #pikeplacemarket
    Another shot ..

@Mudhoney

Rehearsals have begun

#RawPowerKEXP #TheStooges Duff McKagan #MarkArm #BarrettMartin via Mike McCready
    KEXP
    https://www.facebook.com/events/889364777783719/

• CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,989
    But Mike is on the wrong side.
    @KEXP ..

Every day for the rest of this week, we’re asking the members of the Raw Power band – Mike McCready, Duff McKagan, Mark Arm, and Barrett Martin – why they love the Stooges.

Today, drummer Barrett Martin (Tuatara, Screaming Trees, Mad Season) hops in the hot seat.

Raw Power KEXP: Q&A with Barrett Martin http://blog.kexp.org/2015/08/18/raw-power-kexp-qa-with-barrett-martin/

How did you discover the music of the Stooges?

I discovered the Stooges when I was a kid in the ‘70s because my aunt (the rock & roll aunt everyone should have) was playing me records by The Who, The Rolling Stones, and Elton John, and The Stooges got mixed in there, too. I liked the rawness of The Stooges the best, although no one called it punk rock back then, it was too early for that term.

Later in my youth I investigated The Stooges again because they were clearly one of the most influential bands in the alternative rock movement, especially in Seattle. Their sound is classic, unique unto them, and it stands the test of time.

What’s your favorite record by the Stooges?

Raw Power.

Why’d you pick that one?

Because it’s got “Search & Destroy,” “Penetration,” and “I Need Somebody” which are genius songs. Although I have to say that Iggy’s standalone single, “I Got a Right,” is probably the greatest American punk song of all time. That song, just by itself, kind of obliterates everything that came before or after it.
    http://blog.kexp.org/2015/08/19/raw-power-kexp-qa-with-duff-mckagan/

Raw Power KEXP: Q&A with Duff McKagan
    By DJ El Toro

On Sunday, August 23, KEXP proudly presents Raw Power KEXP, an all-star tribute to proto-punks Iggy and the Stooges. This week we’re asking the members of the Raw Power band – Mike McCready, Duff McKagan, Mark Arm, and Barrett Martin – why they love The Stooges.

Today, we talk to bassist Duff McKagan (Guns N’ Roses, Velvet Revolver, 10 Minute Warning), who covered “Raw Power” with GN’R on its 1993 album, The Spaghetti Incident.

How did you discover the music of The Stooges?

In 1979, Kim Warnick of The Fastbacks turned me onto The Stooges. A few nights later, I had a dream I was Iggy, and I was playing a show in a church basement… rolling around in broken glass and totally immersed in the moment of noise and chaos. I still reference that dream before gigs to this day.

What’s your favorite record by Iggy Pop or The Stooges?

Any/all of them.

Do you have a favorite Stooges song?

I don’t have a “favorite” per se. “Dirt” works for me on some days, “Gimme Some Skin” on others. Iggy and the Stooges becomes a soundtrack to ones’ life, if you’re lucky enough to have had them as an early influence and benchmark.
    Raw Power KEXP: Q&A with Mark Arm

http://blog.kexp.org/2015/08/20/raw-power-kexp-qa-with-mark-arm/

On Sunday, August 23, KEXP proudly presents Raw Power KEXP, an all-star tribute to proto-punks Iggy and the Stooges. Every day for the rest of this week, we’re asking the members of the Raw Power band – Mike McCready, Duff McKagan, Mark Arm, and Barrett Martin – why they love the Stooges.

Today, Mark Arm from Mudhoney hops in the hot seat.

How did you discover the music of The Stooges?

I got into The Stooges shortly after I immersed myself in punk rock. I was trying to figure out where this exciting new music came from and all roads led back to The Stooges.

What’s your favorite record by The Stooges?

My favorite Stooges album is The Stooges, Fun House and Raw Power. I love them all equally and if I had to pick one and exclude the other two because of the way a question is framed, I would be lying.

Why’d you pick that one – or rather, those three?

There are some feelings that are too intense for words.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Raw Power KEXP: Q&A with Mike McCready http://blog.kexp.org/2015/08/21/raw-power-kexp-qa-with-mike-mccready/

On Sunday, August 23, KEXP proudly presents Raw Power KEXP, an all-star tribute to proto-punks Iggy and the Stooges. All week long we’ve been asking the members of the Raw Power band – Mike McCready, Duff McKagan, Mark Arm, and Barrett Martin – why they love the Stooges.

Mike McCready, who assembled the all-star band for this very special concert, was so excited that he replied to our questions in one enthusiastic text:

I first discovered Iggy and the Stooges around 1982 when I was at a party in the U District that members of Shadow, Green River, and Overlord were all at.

I was aware of Iggy because of my love of the New York Dolls and Alice Cooper. That party was the first time I heard the first side of Raw Power. Its angry guitars and awesome vocals immediately caught my attention. The energy was undeniable as was the feeling of freedom in their sound.

“Search and Destroy” had the meanest-sounding lead in it. “I’m a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm/I’m a runaway son of the nuclear A-bomb!” Those lyrics say it all about why I love this record!
  • RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,768
    I'm stoked we leave Sunday morning!
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12

RAW POWER KEXP rehearsals are going great! Hear Duff McKagan, Barrett Martin, Mike McCready, and Mark Arm perform the songs of Iggy And The Stooges this Sunday! Tickets for a VIP after-party with the guys still on sale at KEXP.ORG: http://tinyurl.com/pxsuts5 [ photo credit: Morgen Schuler ]