Options

Scumbag US Dentist Poaches Awesome Lion

Comments

• Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    edited July 2015

RKCNDY said:

There are over 100,000 signatures on on a petition to extradite this guy for killing a lion. Yet when 20 plus 7 and 8 year old children are murdered, 200 people won't sign a petition for congress to pass gun control laws. Sickening.

Actually here in my state, there was a bill that recently passed "closing the gun show loophole". Basically you didn't need a background check to buy a gun online or at a show, now you do-we have a 3 day waiting period for buying guns.

On the national level, there are many many many states that support the NRA, so that's why you aren't going to get more gun control that way.
    I wish that would happen in SC
    I can't say if it has helped...right after it passed, a kid took his dad's gun to school, shot and killed 4 of his friends, killed himself too. Only his cousin survived.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    RKCNDY said:

RKCNDY said:

There are over 100,000 signatures on on a petition to extradite this guy for killing a lion. Yet when 20 plus 7 and 8 year old children are murdered, 200 people won't sign a petition for congress to pass gun control laws. Sickening.

Actually here in my state, there was a bill that recently passed "closing the gun show loophole". Basically you didn't need a background check to buy a gun online or at a show, now you do-we have a 3 day waiting period for buying guns.

On the national level, there are many many many states that support the NRA, so that's why you aren't going to get more gun control that way.
    I wish that would happen in SC
    I can't say if it has helped...right after it passed, a kid took his dad's gun to school, shot and killed 4 of his friends, killed himself too. Only his cousin survived.
    Horrific story. In fact, it's 100x worse than what the dentist did. And I never heard about it. I watch and read a lot of news. I can't remember this. Something is wrong with that.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    maybe because the world is often a terrible place with like 7 billion people on it?
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

So I get up today and read a story about a guy who landed a 1300lb. Marlin, off the coast of Hawaii. I think it was Hawaii. Anyway, granted Marlins are not an endangered species, how does everyone feel about this? They showed the Marlin on the back of a pickup truck, dying, or dead. Pretty sure this fish is going to end up on a wall, in this guys house.

How do you feel about this?
    No issues with this?
    Big issues with this?

And just so everyone knows, I think the dentist is a piece of fucking garbage.

The endangered species thing is a pretty huge factor, so I don't really find the two all that comparable. Also, as far as I know, Marlins don't have complex social hierarchies that are destroyed when one is caught, so again, the impact isn't really comparable.
    That said, I don't support killing any animal for a trophy. Not fish, not butterflies. It's disgusting to kill for a trophy or as a form of entertainment.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    JK_Livin said:

And where is that same out rage right here in this country over planned parent hood doing the same thing with babies? Defenseless babies, they kill them like shooting fish in a barrel and then sell the body parts- don't care that much about the lion in Africa actually, there's worse things going on right here in USA - a disgrace! Talk about making God angry!!!!!

Religion has nothing to do with this or anything else.
    And it doesn't have to do with fetuses that have no consciousness or self-awareness either, and last I heard, lions aren't inside the bodies of women.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options

Horrific story. In fact, it's 100x worse than what the dentist did. And I never heard about it. I watch and read a lot of news. I can't remember this. Something is wrong with that.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/washington-high-school-shooting-suspect-identified/story?id=26432567
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

JK_Livin said:

And where is that same out rage right here in this country over planned parent hood doing the same thing with babies? Defenseless babies, they kill them like shooting fish in a barrel and then sell the body parts- don't care that much about the lion in Africa actually, there's worse things going on right here in USA - a disgrace! Talk about making God angry!!!!!

Religion has nothing to do with this or anything else.
    And it doesn't have to do with fetuses that have no consciousness or self-awareness either, and last I heard, lions aren't inside the bodies of women.
    I agree...you cannot compare these two.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,679

brianlux said:

R.I.P. Cecil.

What a travesty. I do not envy this man's massively bad karma.

MayDay10 said:

I just looked it up and there were well over 100K to close some loophole in South Carolina. It also doesn't help that this occurred in 'gun country'.

This game to pass judgement on people because they are bothered by a story like this.... but not bothered (that you know of) by story _________ is extremely lame by the way.

No, it's not lame. What's lame is people getting this bothered by the killing of an animal more than they would if this was a human. Plus the hypocrisy of violence for violence I've been seeing.
    If you took the emotional side of it out, one could say "Well, at least humans are not endangered (yet) the way lions are." We don't (at least most) don't think that way.

But seriously, that to me is a big part of the point- that a human, purely for his own warped sense of pleasure, would kill this beautiful and endangered animal. And on a purely biological level, it would be healthier for fewer lion to be shot and more human to be eaten by lions. I can think of one dentist who who do well to at least be a sacrificial offering that way.

To that I will reply that we are on top of the food chain. Of course we are not endangered.
    We certainly are not on any endangered species list but I could argue strongly that we and all large mammals are endangered-- but that might be best left for another thread.

The latest on the death of Cecil is that there are now conflicting reports that his brother Jericho may or may not be dead also. Will try to follow up on this.

The article that follows also points out the fact that Cecil's death has a greater impact than not just the death of a single lion (as if that isn't bad enough), but the whole pride:

"Conservationists were eager to keep an eye on Jericho, as Cecil’s death left his entire pride in jeopardy. Typically a rival male lion will kill off another male’s cubs to insert its own bloodline into the pride. But in the month since Cecil’s death, Jericho has been seen defending the cubs. Without these two dominant males to defend the area, even more of Hwange’s lions are in jeopardy."

I would suggest that if the shooter is guilty of a crime, he is guilty of both illegal hunting and endangerment of a lion pride and should be harshly charged as such. We'll see how that goes. Here's the link to the aforementioned article:

http://news.yahoo.com/brother-cecil-lion-shot-killed-leaving-cubs-defenseless-195534856.html

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited August 2015
    Here he is in another pic.
    I know there are many other pics like this of big game hunters.
    I just don't get it?
    The fucking smiles
    Another reason to state there are two types of humans.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    brianlux said:

The latest on the death of Cecil is that there are now conflicting reports that his brother Jericho may or may not be dead also. Will try to follow up on this.

The article that follows also points out the fact that Cecil's death has a greater impact than not just the death of a single lion (as if that isn't bad enough), but the whole pride:

"Conservationists were eager to keep an eye on Jericho, as Cecil’s death left his entire pride in jeopardy. Typically a rival male lion will kill off another male’s cubs to insert its own bloodline into the pride. But in the month since Cecil’s death, Jericho has been seen defending the cubs. Without these two dominant males to defend the area, even more of Hwange’s lions are in jeopardy."

I would suggest that if the shooter is guilty of a crime, he is guilty of both illegal hunting and endangerment of a lion pride and should be harshly charged as such. We'll see how that goes. Here's the link to the aforementioned article:

http://news.yahoo.com/brother-cecil-lion-shot-killed-leaving-cubs-defenseless-195534856.html

B, I'd heard the initial report about Jericho as well, but apparently his tracking device is working normally. Don't know if he's been seen though.

Man, there's a part of me that feels those attachments somehow infringe upon or change their behavior, but I see the value of them at the same time.

Apparently it's rare for another male to step in, in watching over the pride. Go Jericho!

They showed footage of some (?) of the cubs too. Absolutely snuffle-worthy.

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    And PJFan, I will never get it.

Such pride and joy in their faces.

Said a mental "fuck you" to each of them (as I did to that young girl hunter who was in a similar position recently).
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

B, I'd heard the initial report about Jericho as well, but apparently his tracking device is working normally. Don't know if he's been seen though.

Man, there's a part of me that feels those attachments somehow infringe upon or change their behavior, but I see the value of them at the same time.

Apparently it's rare for another male to step in, in watching over the pride. Go Jericho!

I've seen shows from National Geographic on at times what happens to pride after its leader is killed or driven off by a rival. It's not pretty what happens to the cubs but that's nature I gather. Good for Jericho I hope he can continue to defend C's pride. Call it Devine intervention.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    edited August 2015
    I still haven't seen or heard what crimes this guy committed. Did he poach this lion? Did he kill it on protected grounds? What are the guides being charged with?

And yes brian, that is for another thread. I have a pretty good idea what you're referring to.
  • Options

I still haven't seen or heard what crimes this guy committed. Did he poach this lion? Did he kill it on protected grounds? What are the guides being charged with?

And yes brian, that is for another thread. I have a pretty good idea what you're referring to.

That seems to have not been confirmed yet, but is likely according to this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/cecil-the-lions-killer-may-have-trouble-avoiding-extradition-experts-say/2015/07/31/6100c7cc-37be-11e5-9739-170df8af8eb9_story.html

"...officials in Zimbabwe said they intended to press ahead with a request to extradite Palmer for killing a lion known as Cecil just outside a sanctuary where the animal was protected."

"The investigation could lead to charges under U.S. law. If Palmer is charged with similar offenses by Zimbabwe, that would clear the way for him to be extradited to that country under a treaty Zimbabwe entered into with the United States in July 1997. It calls for persons of interest to be extradited between the two countries in cases that include a conspiracy or attempt to commit a crime, aiding and abetting a crime, or being an accessory."

"The extradition process cannot begin until Zimbabwe officially issues a charge and requests Palmer’s return. Oppah Muchinguri, the nation’s minister of the environment and climate, vowed to press charges in a Friday news conference in the capital, Harare."

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

Last -12, there are apparently several charges that could be laid against this guy. For one, the relevant Zimbabwean government agency says that there was no permit issued to hunt a lion for that area (the guide apparently disputes this and says he had a permit, but the government seems to be saying that the permits are location-specific and there was none issued for that region). It is also illegal to hunt collared lions, and the hunting methods they used may have been illegal.

I personally think that a lot of the outrage comes from the fact that lions are beautiful creatures that we find attractive and that we think we have some sort of kinship with, based on the fact that they seem to be a larger version of the furry, cuddly felines we often share our homes with. Why isn't there more outrage about the fact that he previously killed a white rhino, which are far more endangered? Because they're not cute.

I'm not saying that what he's done isn't disgusting, it just isn't the most disgusting thing he's done.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    It should make a difference if the lion was shot or killed outside protected grounds. At least for extradition purposes. Plus, the guy paid $50k, doesn't that pay for a permit?
  • Options

It should make a difference if the lion was shot or killed outside protected grounds. At least for extradition purposes. Plus, the guy paid $50k, doesn't that pay for a permit?

It should, but who knows if it did? The Zimbabwean authorities say it didn't because none was issued.
  • Options

It should, but who knows if it did? The Zimbabwean authorities say it didn't because none was issued.
    That could be this guys demise. Butbi just don't see the US handing this guy to Zimbabwe. We didn't send that college girl back to France for that murder trial. (I think it was France). They may not have asked either. I don't remember.
  • Options

Last -12, there are apparently several charges that could be laid against this guy. For one, the relevant Zimbabwean government agency says that there was no permit issued to hunt a lion for that area (the guide apparently disputes this and says he had a permit, but the government seems to be saying that the permits are location-specific and there was none issued for that region). It is also illegal to hunt collared lions, and the hunting methods they used may have been illegal.

I personally think that a lot of the outrage comes from the fact that lions are beautiful creatures that we find attractive and that we think we have some sort of kinship with, based on the fact that they seem to be a larger version of the furry, cuddly felines we often share our homes with. Why isn't there more outrage about the fact that he previously killed a white rhino, which are far more endangered? Because they're not cute.

I'm not saying that what he's done isn't disgusting, it just isn't the most disgusting thing he's done.
    Oh man! I didn't know this guy killed a rhino. The same guy? Damn! That frosts me.

As for rhinos not being cute, watch the video in this link and tell me they are not cute! :wink:

What an incredible animal- both these guys!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/viral-video/11173633/Watch-this-cute-video-of-a-lamb-and-rhino-playing-together.html

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    hedonist said:

brianlux said:

Reported alive and well.
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    he needs to face charges..thats all
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Oh man! I didn't know this guy killed a rhino. The same guy? Damn! That frosts me.

As for rhinos not being cute, watch the video in this link and tell me they are not cute! :wink:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/viral-video/11173633/Watch-this-cute-video-of-a-lamb-and-rhino-playing-together.html

Yup, the same guy. He's a veritable angel of death for wild animals. There's also a photo online of him with a dead cheetah.

And okay, the baby rhino is kind of cute. You knew what I meant, anyway. :smile:
  • Options
    Seems like Cecil's brother wasn't klled yesterday.... it was a different lion. :angry:
  • Options
    chadwickchadwick up my ass Posts: 21,157
    robert mugabe, the president of zimbabwe, eats baby elephant for his birthday. which means he probably eats baby elephant other times throughout the year, or maybe it's just the birthday feast where little elephant is served up.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Options

brianlux said:

Yup, the same guy. He's a veritable angel of death for wild animals. There's also a photo online of him with a dead cheetah.

And okay, the baby rhino is kind of cute. You knew what I meant, anyway. :smile:
    For sure. :smile:
    PJ_Soul said:

Seems like Cecil's brother wasn't klled yesterday.... it was a different lion. :angry:

Good news but not good. I cannot understand someone shooting such a beautiful animal for "sport". :frowning:

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Oh my hell, now there's a chick. Sabrina Corgatelli. Her Facebook page will make you throw up. Oh, she might have taken it down. She's on Twitter though. Clearly classy.

• Options
    Are giraffes endangered?
  • Options

Are giraffes endangered?

I don't know. But she's got oodles of pictures with various animals. Here's the quote with that photo. "Day #2 I got a amazing old Giraffe. Such an amazing animal! I couldn't be any happier!! My emotion after getting him was a feeling I will never forget!!!"

I'll try to find the kooky bible quotes one she posted today.
  • Options
    Here's the bible verse one. It's... well, you'll see.