90's
    Wow the 90's are getting a bad rap. My favorites:

Pearl Jam
    Soundgarden
    AIC
    Nirvana
    Foo Fighters
    Silverchair (I still love Frogstomp!)
    Counting Crows (I really like the first two albums, especially the 2nd one).
    Nine Inch Nails
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Tom Petty (he span's alot of decades but I really like his late 1989 and 90's stuff)
    U2 (My favourite u2 album is Achtung Baby!)
    Duran Duran's self titled album (forget what its referred to... it was epic back in the early 90s)
    Aerosmith (the last album of theirs I really liked - Get A Grip)
    Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge - Yes I like Van Hagar ;)
    Radiohead
    Metellica - The Black Album
    Green Day - Dookie (and the album that come out after)
    REM (love their early/mid 90's albums way more than their 80s albums)
    Weezer
    RHCP - Blood Sugas Sex Magic ( I also really liked Californication which came out in '99)
    Tool!

I agree with a previous posters comments about boring myself out on some 90's music. I haven't listed to much Nirvana in the past decade because I listened to it to death in the 90s. I've almost Soundgarden'd and AIC'd myself out.

I've been listening to many of the other bands recently. There was so much good music in the 90s! BTW there's bands that suck from every decade. I think we should measure each decade by the bands that didn't suck. BTW I also don't agree with Bryan Adam's being on the suck list. He's pretty good :)

edit: I will say that the 90's were bi-polar. The music output up to around '96 was vastly superior to what was coming out in the back half of the decade.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383

dankind said:

YES!! That is a quality list right there!! I mean, c'mon, do you know how many couples skates I got at the rink because of PM Dawn? How I would not have been able to show off my speed skating prowess if C&C Music Factory didn't exist?! Thus leading me to more couples skating 'dates'!?

Ummm Gangster rap anyone?
    Not for couples' skate!

Ooops, my bad...

Who couldn't hold hands and skate to "Today it was a good day" or some Bone Thugs?!?
    Skate outta Compton :tongue:
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    70's
    Zod said:

BTW I also don't agree with Bryan Adam's being on the suck list. He's pretty good :)

The only people who can get away with this statement are Canadians. (The same rule applies to Long Islanders and the insufferable Billy Joel.)

Now, I think I remember that you are a Canadian, so you get a pass.

I don't know about vaggar99.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    70's
    Hobbes said:

dankind said:

YES!! That is a quality list right there!! I mean, c'mon, do you know how many couples skates I got at the rink because of PM Dawn? How I would not have been able to show off my speed skating prowess if C&C Music Factory didn't exist?! Thus leading me to more couples skating 'dates'!?

Not for couples' skate!

Ooops, my bad...

Who couldn't hold hands and skate to "Today it was a good day" or some Bone Thugs?!?
    '80s reference but still :rofl:

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    90's
    dankind said:

Hobbes said:

dankind said:

Not for couples' skate!

Ooops, my bad...

'80s reference but still :rofl:

Yeeeeeeeah booooi!!!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    90's
    Oh & Digital Underground? Ok, now that was some gangster shit. The Humpty Dance sounded so damn wrong, but at 12 what the fuck did I know?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    80's

vaggar99 said:

yeah, i was expecting the 90's to win out, but was expecting more votes for the 80's. i suppose i see the 90's as mostly a period of about 4 years when anybody cared about the music. the second half of the 90's is a really an absolute piece of crap. i am looking at you alanis, third eye blind, marcy playground et al.

Marcy Playground's "St Joe by the school bus" is a great song. Don't listen to Sex and candy and try that album again. Quirky and different. Hell there's a song about invisible cloaks!
    fair enough...i will give it a try. i never listened to the album based on sex and candy. it was an alright song that got played so much it made me hate music in general for a while
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,934
    2000's
    The last 3 years of the 90's was a massive nosedive musically, especially in rock. Rap rock and 5th generation grunge really was the worst. Those last 3 years were a blemish on what was otherwise a great decade for rock music.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    010's
    I figured I would get Belly and Feed the tree from someone on here?
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    60's
    I'm 32 and have always loved the sixties. So many of rock's doors were broken down and the innovators are the ones who are usually written about at the end of the day.

each decade brought something special and some garbage. Regardless, as several posters said earlier, 65-75 will be a high water mark upon which all other decades are measured.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    80's

The last 3 years of the 90's was a massive nosedive musically, especially in rock. Rap rock and 5th generation grunge really was the worst. Those last 3 years were a blemish on what was otherwise a great decade for rock music.

close to my thesis. i think the last part of the 90's may be the worst few years in music ever. if it weren't for napster, it might have stayed that way
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    70's
    70's all the way.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 996
    90's
    Speaking as a child of the 90's
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • Options
    jonsey30jonsey30 Rochester Hills, MI Posts: 998
    90's
    90's was the best era to me, and not only because of the bands coming out in the early 90's that are still my favorites. Hip-hop during that time was so much better than it is now with Wu-Tang, Nas, Jay, when New York was producing a ton of great rappers.
    7/19/13 - Wrigley Field, Chicago, IL
    10/11/13 - Pittsburgh, PA
    10/12/13 - Buffalo, NY
    10/16/2014 - Detroit, MI
    5/10/2016 - Toronto, ON
    3/24/2020 - Hamilton, ON
    9/7/2023 - Chicago, IL

• Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    90's
    Let's not think the 90s were the only decade to have its ace of base and hammer. The 60s, 70s, and 80s were filled with garbage as well. It's just the 90s garbage was overwhelmed by the some of the best music ever written.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    90's
    I love listening to lithium on Sirius satellite radio.
  • Options
    80's
    dankind said:

Zod said:

BTW I also don't agree with Bryan Adam's being on the suck list. He's pretty good :)

The only people who can get away with this statement are Canadians. (The same rule applies to Long Islanders and the insufferable Billy Joel.)

Now, I think I remember that you are a Canadian, so you get a pass.

I don't know about vaggar99.

i'm not canadian. c'mon even Ryan Adams (the most uptight American ever) covered Summer of '69
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    90's
    I went 90s, but the late 70s and 80s were also great.Not just for music but it was still was the last stand innocent unplugged awesome fun.Cruisin,Bon fires,keg parties,cassette tapes,sex drugs and rock n roll, hanging at the beach,etc.No cell phones,computers and posting up to Facebook and all that garbage.
    Good times
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    60's
    mrk2 said:

70's all the way.

Greatest music was between 65 & 75.

"The fifties were boring, the sixties rocked & the seventies..oh god... well they obviously suck".
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,848
    60's
    Billy Joel is a fuckin abomination. Just terrible, terrible music.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    70's

One of my favorite songs and bands of the decade!
    They played this between innings at Fenway last night.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    90's
    dankind said:

Kay grew up 5 miles from Fenway and is a die hard Sox fan; they love her there!
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    70's

dankind said:

Kay grew up 5 miles from Fenway and is a die hard Sox fan; they love her there!
    I, of course, prefer the '70s song by an indie Boston band they've been playing between innings, "Roadrunner" by the Modern Lovers.

http://youtu.be/Gy88-5pc7c8

We love Jonathan Richman mo bettah.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    70's
    Very easy answer for me
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Driftin'AlongDriftin'Along Posts: 1,403
    2000's
    I gave my vote to the 2000's because the 90's are definitely represented by previous posters (surprise). But Napster was big for me in 2000 and really opened me up to a lot of new things happening musically. I remember sitting on my computer with Napster open in one window and cdnow.com (remember this, before amazon?) open in another. They had a similar feature to amazon where you could discover new music through association with other bands you liked. I really branched out my tastes over the next 4 or 5 years and found all sorts of stuff. Also I was early to the Pandora bandwagon (before advertisments).
    PJ (my first album was Binaural)
    White Stripes
    Black Keys
    The Strokes
    Drive By Truckers
    My Morning Jacket
    Tool (late to the game on them too)
    Ryan Adam
    Band of Horses
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    80's

I gave my vote to the 2000's because the 90's are definitely represented by previous posters (surprise). But Napster was big for me in 2000 and really opened me up to a lot of new things happening musically. I remember sitting on my computer with Napster open in one window and cdnow.com (remember this, before amazon?) open in another. They had a similar feature to amazon where you could discover new music through association with other bands you liked. I really branched out my tastes over the next 4 or 5 years and found all sorts of stuff. Also I was early to the Pandora bandwagon (before advertisments).
    PJ (my first album was Binaural)
    White Stripes
    Black Keys
    The Strokes
    Drive By Truckers
    My Morning Jacket
    Tool (late to the game on them too)
    Ryan Adam
    Band of Horses

i'm pretty much with you on the 2000's....as a whole, there was some really solid music throughout the decade. no complaints here.