Options

Another Bullsh$@ Manufactured story to provoke the race card.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/07/21/424909760/death-of-woman-found-hanged-in-texas-jail-cell-will-be-investigated-as-murder

So the chic commits suicide in a jail cell all by herself,cameras pick up no one going in,other prisoners just feet away say no one went in,but the family and black politicians want it treated like murder.Enough already people.Now invisible rascist cops must have done it.
Watch the dash cam,she was not cooperating with the officer then she offs herself,so this is a race issue??? Can some please explain how this is murder?

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    I have only read one or two articles about this previously and it does seem as if there may be something fishy about how this was reported by police. From what I understand the cameras confirmed she did not assault the officer, contrary to the police report, but was instead assaulted by the officer. I can't confirm this as the video was "not available" when I tried to watch it.

This article you've posted says it will be "treated like a murder investigation", which simply means a higher level of vigilance in collecting and analyzing evidence. I personally don't see anything wrong with that, given the circumstances. In fact, I would suggest that every such death in custody should be investigated in this manner.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    CH156378CH156378 Posts: 1,539
    edited July 2015
    "Can someone please explain how this is murder?"

I think that's why it's being "investigated".

I'm confused of what exactly has been manufactured in this story. They have a dead body, right? Also a concerned family who say she wouldn't have done this.
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    edited July 2015
    I watched on CNN family members and local black politicians cry that this is murder"she would never commit suicide".I just don't see it.Every family says that.
    Forget the traffic stop,that has nothing to do with the death.I feel people are reaching here for something that just isn't there.
    The arresting officer was kinda a douche,but she wasn't an angel either and instead of complying she was belligerent.Where is the self accountability?
    Post edited by rr165892 on
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    rr165892 said:

I watched on CNN family members and local black politicians cry that this is murder"she would never commit suicide".I just don't see it.Every family says that.
    Forget the traffic stop,that has nothing to do with the death.I feel people are reaching here for something that just isn't there.
    The arresting officer was kinda a douche,but she wasn't an angel either and instead of complying she was belligerent.Where is the self accountability?

Well, like you said, "forget the traffic stop". So if we forget that, we have an unexplained death in custody, which definitely needs to be investigated.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    At face value... it's certainly not. An investigation should occur, but if the results reveal nothing... I'm not sure what police opponents might rally around? This isnt exactly Steven Biko in a South African prison cell.

This all spiralled from a routine traffic stop where a woman became belligerent after getting pulled over for not signalling. As lame as it is... take your ticket and shut up.

* There was a white male that died in police custody leaving a widespread panic concert recently. Despite some serious questions that need to be answered, the media has been pretty silent about it.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    Too early to say much with certainty either way including the assumption that this is a "Another Bullsh$@ Manufactured story to provoke the race card".

That said, the possibility that this was murder means it should be followed up.

Somehow I don't find this scenario out of the realm of possibility: A black woman murdered in a Texas jail.

And I would also not rule out racial profiling regarding the woman being pulled over in the first place. Unless Texas roads are as different from California roads as Pat Boone is from Keith Morris, you have to wonder about racial profiling. I mean, seriously, not that it's right (I always signal) but when is the last time anyone has seen someone pulled over for failing to signal a lane change? Sounds like a possible case of DWB to me.

And maybe some denial regarding racism in America, eh?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    I just watched the dashcam. She should have never been in jail in the first place. Yeah she acted like a jackass, but the cop did too and there was really no reason for him to ask her to put the cigarette out. All he had to do at that point was have her sign the ticket and send her on her way. Being in a bad mood isn't illegal. Once she refused to put it out, this jackass wanted to flex his authority over a traffic ticket. What was he asking her to get out of the car for? Was he going to arrest her for smoking in her car? Everything after that is on her. Resisting a police officer even when they are wrong is never going to get you anywhere.

As for what happened in the jail cell, who knows.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,689
    brianlux said:

Too early to say much with certainty either way including the assumption that this is a "Another Bullsh$@ Manufactured story to provoke the race card".

That said, the possibility that this was murder means it should be followed up.

Somehow I don't find this scenario out of the realm of possibility: A black woman murdered in a Texas jail.

And I would also not rule out racial profiling regarding the woman being pulled over in the first place. Unless Texas roads are as different from California roads as Pat Boone is from Keith Morris, you have to wonder about racial profiling. I mean, seriously, not that it's right (I always signal) but when is the last time anyone has seen someone pulled over for failing to signal a lane change? Sounds like a possible case of DWB to me.

And maybe some denial regarding racism in America, eh?

And I'm guessing with an out of state plate.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    edited July 2015
    When will people just listen to what the fucking cops tell them? Put the cigarette out. That's not a hard thing to do. Stupidity.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    Maybe playin the race card was the wrong way to describe it.I had just watch some folks get all heated up,blaming everyone but the young lady.I think I'm calling for some accountability here.maybe your little cherub isn't the untroubled Angel you thought?
    Regardless it's a tragedy when a young person dies,All lives matter,but all to common theme and the media jumps right in and helps the speculation.
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

When will people just listen to what the fucking cops tell them? Put the cigarette out. That's not a hard thing to do. Stupidity.

I agree it's never a good idea to defiantly disregard a police officer and am in no way blaming the officer for what happened in her cell, but don't you think it could have been avoided by just giving her the ticket and sending her on her way? His own governing body has already stated he didn't act in a professional manner and didn't follow their procedures. It should have never came to that point.
  • Options

I agree it's never a good idea to defiantly disregard a police officer and am in no way blaming the officer for what happened in her cell, but don't you think it could have been avoided by just giving her the ticket and sending her on her way? His own governing body has already stated he didn't act in a professional manner and didn't follow their procedures. It should have never came to that point.
    His own governing body is in job saving mode. I don't think this cop should be fired, but he will be. There was no abuse, no shooting, no brutality. I think the lady should have just put her cigarette out. Period. All she was doing was provoking. She deserved what she got.
  • Options

His own governing body is in job saving mode. I don't think this cop should be fired, but he will be. There was no abuse, no shooting, no brutality. I think the lady should have just put her cigarette out. Period. All she was doing was provoking. She deserved what she got.
    Just because they are in job saving mode doesn't mean the statement is incorrect.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited July 2015

Whoa, SHE was provoking? HE was provoking her and she should have remained in control, but she was clearly baited.
    He was asking her to perform an action that was clearly outside of the law and his rights to police.
    If he had asked her to take her blouse off or touch herself should she do that as well?
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949
    Under what legal authority did the officer have to make her put her cigarette out? I'm generally pro-cop but give me a break. The officer was on a power trip.

It sounds to me like she committed suicide in her cell, probably due to depression issues, but the catalyst was the arrest....which shouldn't have happened.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    In my neck of the woods but have avoided reading. Partially due to our local activists BUT it's not like there's no history of minorities getting short end I'd stick so glad there are people that push for truth.

I HATE people that are inconsiderate and bit use signal to make lane changes or when turning RIGHT. Cool with those offenders going to jail. Ha. I kid, mostly.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Him asking her to put the cigarette out was not provoking. That is not an unreasonable request. He even stated to her "you seem irritated." (Or aggravated, I can't remember). And she continued to defy and smart off to the officer.

It seems to be forgotten that the police are allowed to pull you over. That is not provoking. Once that police officer asks you to step out of the car, GET OUT! You are not going to argue your way out of it.

• Options

Under what legal authority did the officer have to make her put her cigarette out? I'm generally pro-cop but give me a break. The officer was on a power trip.

It sounds to me like she committed suicide in her cell, probably due to depression issues, but the catalyst was the arrest....which shouldn't have happened.

If you were a cop and you were writing a ticket, would you want someone blowing smoke in your face? Plus, cops want to be able to see your hands at all times during these traffic stops. If you're smoking, your hand get be out of his view. That could be his legal right to ask her to put it out.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Agreed. Just do it - plus who puffs away when getting pulled over?

As to the non-signaling thing...I WISH more people got cited for that. It's pretty much a daily occurrence for me to swerve and put myself and others in danger because some idiot thought it was OK to just drift on over and expect me to accommodate their selfish ass at the last minute.

Also, heard something about the dash-cam video being edited before released. I guess more shall come to light.
  • Options
    We have they opposite problem in South Florida.People leave the blinker on and you never know what they are doing.

I heard some talk this morning that the officer can defend the cigarette request by stating he felt threatened and was concerned driver could flick the cig at him.

Take the ticket,calm down and then if you were unfairly treated get a lawyer and fight it.I don't get what the hell people are thinking.
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122
    This is an unfunny version of the Dave Chappelle bit, "When keeping it real goes wrong"
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Whoa, SHE was provoking? HE was provoking her and she should have remained in control, but she was clearly baited.
    He was asking her to perform an action that was clearly outside of the law and his rights to police.
    If he had asked her to take her blouse off or touch herself should she do that as well?
    Turning off the music, putting out her cigarette, shutting the vehicle off, and things like that are very reasonable requests. The ones you've tried to compare his request to are silly. Why do that?

A cop doesn't have to breathe in someone's smoke as he performs his duties just like the clerk doesn't at the grocery store. The cop also doesn't have to worry about extreme scenarios such as an angry individual placing the cigarette out on his arm.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    rr165892 said:

We have they opposite problem in South Florida.People leave the blinker on and you never know what they are doing.

I heard some talk this morning that the officer can defend the cigarette request by stating he felt threatened and was concerned driver could flick the cig at him.

Take the ticket,calm down and then if you were unfairly treated get a lawyer and fight it.I don't get what the hell people are thinking.

Oh yeah driving in Florida is a whole adventure in itself. Lotsa patience with the white haired folks in the caddies. Ha.

10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    edited July 2015

rgambs said:

Turning off the music, putting out her cigarette, shutting the vehicle off, and things like that are very reasonable requests. The ones you've tried to compare his request to are silly. Why do that?

A cop doesn't have to breathe in someone's smoke as he performs his duties just like the clerk doesn't at the grocery store. The cop also doesn't have to worry about extreme scenarios such as an angry individual placing the cigarette out on his arm.
    A reasonable request, sure it is. An arrestable offense? Of course not. This is a classic power trip, he had just as much opportunity to be reasonable and calm as she did. This officer assaulted the woman because she disrespected him. If I disrespect you do you have the right to assault me??
    Sometimes it seems like some people are desperate to give their rights away to anyone in a uniform.
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    rr165892 said:

Why should I have to waive my rights and then pay for a lawyer to try and get recompense from a biased system? That isn't freedom at all.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sandra-bland-dashcam-arrest-video-released-by-texas-police-1.3162790

Why was she in jail for 3 days before her death?

Also, if anyone dies in police custody there should be a detailed investigation....that's a no brainer.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:

A reasonable request, sure it is. An arrestable offense? Of course not. This is a classic power trip, he had just as much opportunity to be reasonable and calm as she did. This officer assaulted the woman because she disrespected him. If I disrespect you do you have the right to assault me??
    Sometimes it seems like some people are desperate to give their rights away to anyone in a uniform.
    I didn't see an assault. I saw a woman resist arrest. Maybe he wasn't going to arrest her when he asked her to get out of the car. Maybe it wasn't until she disobeyed a third request from the cop before he decided to arrest her.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

rr165892 said:

Why should I have to waive my rights and then pay for a lawyer to try and get recompense from a biased system? That isn't freedom at all.
    Not my point.
    Nothing good comes from arguing with law enforcement roadside.The Cops have a lot of discretionary tolerances and if your an asshole you can get thrown in jail for something minor.Not worth it in my opinion.Shut your fucking mouth,don't be a rude belligerent dick and when you leave with a ticket only and no jail time,file a complaint or report to his supervisor,go to the press,meet with an attorney,Pickett in front of police station.You have all that freedom to peruse "justice" if your not locked in the pokey.
  • Options

rgambs said:

rgambs said:

I didn't see an assault. I saw a woman resist arrest. Maybe he wasn't going to arrest her when he asked her to get out of the car. Maybe it wasn't until she disobeyed a third request from the cop before he decided to arrest her.
    He didn't assault her.She was being an asshole.
  • Options
    dignin said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/sandra-bland-dashcam-arrest-video-released-by-texas-police-1.3162790

Why was she in jail for 3 days before her death?

Also, if anyone dies in police custody there should be a detailed investigation....that's a no brainer.

Fine Dig,but let's call it an investigation and not jump directly to this has to be a murder.A simple we will look into all evidence and pursue as needed would be fine.But we have DAs who are sooooo afraid to offend certain communities that they now are over reacting.