Options

Working class vs the machine

2»

Comments

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    tino_11 said:

The fact someone can complain about ticket prices means someone could be doing a lot worse in life.

Perfectly put.
    Such rubbish IMO. You could attribute this to most things in life but at the end of the day it's about relevance to your life.

I get annoyed when my favourite sports team gets beat, when things go wrong at work or if I miss out on a PJ merch sale I was interested in. Sure none of this is life or death stuff, but to me at that time it is important.

And if I was priced out of seeing PJ I would be gutted. 1st world problem? It surely is, but doesn't mean I shouldn't care.
    100% agree. I'm the first person to piss and moan about how much stuff costs, the weather, how shitty my beloved Vikings are, and loads of other stuff.

My grind with this was the allusion to this being somehow related to class structures or some sort of politically motivated trash designed to keep the masses repressed or whatnot.

I also removed the the white, first world problem stuff too.
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    edited July 2015
    Wrong thread
    Post edited by ldent42 on
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    foodboyfoodboy Posts: 988
    the loss of record and cd sales was the beginning of the end. most bands today can't make a go of it without a live gate. so today it is the reverse of the old days. it used to be expensive cd's and cheaper tickets to shows, now free downloading and file sharing and expensive tickets. so you get the recorded version cheap but get taken to the cleaners on the live experience. glad i saw sooo many shows way back when. simply couldn't do it today.
  • Options
    lemminglemming Posts: 31
    If Pearl jam were really interested in affordable shows they could look into Kid Rock's $20 model: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2015/02/17/kid-rock-foreigner-twenty-dollar-ticket-tour/23545737/
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    At the end of the day it's up to you the individual and what you can afford it can't and wether you know how to prioritize the spending of your hard earned $$$$ concerts are no longer a priority in my life my two kids college tuition is .....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cydoniacydonia Denbighshire, North Wales , UK Posts: 456
    Thanks for the comments to my thread, just love the band....good to get other opinions. I'll wake up tomorrow, with the news spreading fear and stories of war, while I have to decide whether to buy or save, it could be a lot worse, a lot ...thanks:)
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,522

tino_11 said:

The fact someone can complain about ticket prices means someone could be doing a lot worse in life.

Perfectly put.
    Such rubbish IMO. You could attribute this to most things in life but at the end of the day it's about relevance to your life.

I get annoyed when my favourite sports team gets beat, when things go wrong at work or if I miss out on a PJ merch sale I was interested in. Sure none of this is life or death stuff, but to me at that time it is important.

And if I was priced out of seeing PJ I would be gutted. 1st world problem? It surely is, but doesn't mean I shouldn't care.
    I have to agree.

People are allowed to complain about ticket prices. Just as they are allowed to complain about the weather, or their job. People are allowed to have emotions, and are also allowed to vent their frustrations. If each time I complained to the wife about having to mow the lawn, and she replied with, "Do you know how many starving children there are in Africa"? .......I don't know...

I totally agree. The dismissal of a point of conversation by saying, "Bah. First world problem" is unbelievably annoying.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    edited July 2015
    lemming said:

If Pearl jam were really interested in affordable shows they could look into Kid Rock's $20 model: http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2015/02/17/kid-rock-foreigner-twenty-dollar-ticket-tour/23545737/

To be fair, a Kid Rock/Foreigner double bill is probably lucky to sell tickets for $20 in 2015. I bet most of those venues don't even sell out.
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,911
    edited July 2015
    For the venues PJ plays, and with keeping demand for their shows in mind, their tickets are still pretty reasonable. Sure its not $35 shows like in the mid 90's. But the industry isn't there anymore. I don't think its economically feasible for the band to do that now.

You can't fault PJ for festival prices, though to be fair again, promoters are trying to put together a package there. If you are going just for PJ, of course it may be a rip off.

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697

lemming said:

To be fair, a Kid Rock/Foreigner double bill is probably lucky to sell tickets for $20 in 2015.
    went to the show thursday night.Foreigner killed it and Kid Rock was way better then I expected.plus they had 4$ beers also.
  • Options
    PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    I think the most expensive PJ ticket I've purchased thru ten club was like $70 per ticket. Not like U2 where seats are $250 each. U2 has gone overboard with their shows. To much high tech shit. Just play the music and stop all the glamour.
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville