Options

Where will Ed's 'Into The Wild' record stand for you in time?

2»

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,534

PJ_Soul said:

I think it stands on it's own very well. I have to say that it's always a little disappointing to me that the best song on the record (Hard Sun) isn't Ed's. But...he really kills it so it's all good. I'll toss in that I am (apparently) one of the few that think Ukelele Songs is a really, really good album. I think the songs (both Ed's and others') are performed with deep emotion. I feel that a lot of folks brush it off because it is an album of uke songs and it disappoints me. Is it a rock album? No. But is it powerful on it's own. Dream A Little Dream gives me the chills every time....

I must admit, I think the same thing about Hard Sun. It's definitely the best song on a great album.... and it's a cover. That feels like just a tiny bit sad. But still.... he fucking ROCKS that cover. And if you can make a cover way better than the original song (and the original is good), then you are a success.
    It's funny, my favorite tune on the album is Society, also a cover. I prefer Ed singing it too.
    Ha, yeah, Society is my second fave on the album.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tino_11tino_11 Posts: 1,956

PJ_Soul said:

I think it stands on it's own very well. I have to say that it's always a little disappointing to me that the best song on the record (Hard Sun) isn't Ed's. But...he really kills it so it's all good. I'll toss in that I am (apparently) one of the few that think Ukelele Songs is a really, really good album. I think the songs (both Ed's and others') are performed with deep emotion. I feel that a lot of folks brush it off because it is an album of uke songs and it disappoints me. Is it a rock album? No. But is it powerful on it's own. Dream A Little Dream gives me the chills every time....

I must admit, I think the same thing about Hard Sun. It's definitely the best song on a great album.... and it's a cover. That feels like just a tiny bit sad. But still.... he fucking ROCKS that cover. And if you can make a cover way better than the original song (and the original is good), then you are a success.
    It's funny, my favorite tune on the album is Society, also a cover. I prefer Ed singing it too.
    I love society best too! Hard sun is my least favourite, but I still love it.

I discovered this album before PJ and it will always be one of my favourite albums. The sense of being able to get away from it all got me through some hard times and also inspired me to see as much of the world as I can.

Ultimately, I don't have the words to say how much this album means to me. But it's up there with the very best.
    2010: London
    2012: Manchester I, Manchester II, Manchester (EV) 
    2014: Milan, Leeds, Milton Keynes 
    2017: London II (EV) 
    2018: Amsterdam I, London I, Prague, London II 
    2019: London (EV)
    2022: London I, London II, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam
  • Options
    nicky-p38nicky-p38 Posts: 394
    I think ITW is a masterpiece. It's in my top 5 albums.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

It's just a perfect package of songs. Just like Ten was. Everything fits and and sounds as it belongs as one whole.

No other PJ record do that in that way.

No Code.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    edited July 2015

It's just a perfect package of songs. Just like Ten was. Everything fits and and sounds as it belongs as one whole.

No other PJ record do that in that way.

No Code.
    Yes. And
    Binaural
    Riot Act
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJForceofNaturePJForceofNature Posts: 3,087
    I love this entire album, and especially love listening to it in the car. Also, I have watched the movie several times, and I love how the songs fit in so well with what's happening in the film. I enjoy the album so much I have one copy for the house and one for the car! :)
    "A beacon on dry land"
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,394
    I like listening to Into the Wild but it feels almost like HALF a record to me. I wish it was a longer record and it had a few longer songs on it. To me, it almost feels like an introduction to something bigger.

Maybe another record of his will be the second half of it?
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    edited July 2015
    justam said:

I like listening to Into the Wild but it feels almost like HALF a record to me. I wish it was a longer record and it had a few longer songs on it. To me, it almost feels like an introduction to something bigger.

Maybe another record of his will be the second half of it?

Would love to hear the 'Furnace' movie stuff he recorded. Or a proper solo effort. He can play enough instruments to pull it off well!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

I love this entire album, and especially love listening to it in the car. Also, I have watched the movie several times, and I love how the songs fit in so well with what's happening in the film. I enjoy the album so much I have one copy for the house and one for the car! :)

While I don't really love the movie, I totally agree that the soundtrack works really well with it. It's by far the best part of the movie for me, and makes it a lot better than it would have been without it.
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Love it and it's great, but it's just too short. Absolutely stellar song writing.

Far Behind and Setting Forth have EV written all over them.
    Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    Driftin'AlongDriftin'Along Posts: 1,403
    This record will always be special to me for more than just the incredible collection of songs. This album was what won my wife over to PJ. Because of the personal connection to this album I think it will only get better for me in time.
    "Not only do you have sunshine but you have better thunder...fuckers." -Ed, Phx 10/21/00
    PJ * 10/21/00 - Phx * 6/7/03 - Phx * 6/29/06 - Milwaukee * 6/30/06 - Milwaukee * 11/19/13 - Phx *
    EV * 11/4/12 - Phx, AZ *
  • Options
    Love it. Dare I say Classic. Great mood and cohesiveness. It has aged well.
  • Options
    May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,655
    this thread has made me put it on my turntable. thanks everyone. sometimes forget about this one.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,458
    I'm all about this masterpiece. It stands the test of time. Some observations ands opinions:
    1) Its one of the best soundtracks ever. He did the whole soundtrack people!
    2) I don't compare it to other PJ as it stands alone as a side project.
    3) Ed does not have to slay the 2cover songs he just needs to make them his own in context to his soundtrack. Hard Suns original is very good as well.
    4) The covers are not the best songs. Rise and Guaranteed are.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,867
    good record, but I think the covers are the best songs. I think the songs fit the movie just about perfectly. I agree it is better than Uke. I don't think it is better than any of the PJ albums
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,277
    I love Into The Wild (and Uke Songs actually). The only minor fault with it is the songs are just too damn short! No Ceiling is one of my absolute favourite Ed songs but a minute and a half is nowhere near long enough.

As a side note, we REALLY need an official Ed live album. If he isn't going to release the boots then at least give us a 'Live On Two Legs' style live album (Live On One Stool??), his solo shows are unbelievable.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    cropdustdaircropdustdair Lakewood, CO / Earth Posts: 2,006
    Into The Wild is a classic. It will stand the test of time. PERIOD.
  • Options
    nothinasitseemsnothinasitseems New Jersey Posts: 1,507

Into The Wild is a classic. It will stand the test of time. PERIOD.

totally agree.

probably one of my favorites of all time. hard sun and rise just take me to another place, somewhere i wish i was. really brings you into the story. such an amazing album.
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1, Brooklyn 2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Philly 1, Philly 2, MSG 1, MSG 2, Fenway 2
    2018: Fenway 1, Fenway 2
    2024: MSG 2, Philly 1, Philly 2, Fenway 1, Fenway 2
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,459
    it will stand a hell of a lot better than BS or LB. great record.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    imalive said:

it will stand a hell of a lot better than BS or LB. great record.

Agree.
  • Options
    OzzieOzzie Posts: 230
    Love it. It'll stand the test of time for me. Just put it on again thanks to this thread!
    Isle of Wight, 23rd June 2012
    Brooklyn, 18th October 2013
    Memphis, 14th October 2014
    Krakow, 3rd July 2018
    London, 8th July 2022
  • Options
    EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,828
    Solid album for sure! Cool thread thanks.
  • Options
    electronblueelectronblue WPB Florida Posts: 3,458
    edited July 2015
    As far as I am concerned.. both "Into The Wild" and the "Ukulele Songs" cd shall always be a part of my ride ~

I won't be the last
    I won't be the first
    Find a way to where the sky meets the earth
    It's all right and all wrong
    For me it begins at the end of the road
    We come and go...
    Post edited by electronblue on
    "Forgive every being,
    the bad feelings 
    it's just me"

• Options
    SALLYROOSALLYROO Posts: 51

Agree! Love both solo albums. Into The Wild is haunting and emotional and certainly a soundtrack I'll enjoy forever.
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    always a great autumn record
    when the leaves change colours, I get a hankering to hear this
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,782

As far as I am concerned.. both "Into The Wild" and the "Ukulele Songs" cd shall always be a part of my ride ~

I won't be the last
    I won't be the first
    Find a way to where the sky meets the earth
    It's all right and all wrong
    For me it begins at the end of the road
    We come and go...

Love that lyric. When you read that you know EV had to have written it.
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,881
    This album will always be something special.. Absolutely amazing when listened to at the right time...
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    Like many of the songs, and wish 5he band would play No Ceiling with an extended jam at the end.
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    dankind said:

Mmmm ... mom rock....

:wink:

I like to wear my mom jeans when listening....

but seriously.. been listening to it alot in last month..
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me