Options

Foo Fighters Vs. Pearl Jam. Round 2. Loudwire. Best Live Band. Vote Now.

Comments

• Options
    By the looks of it at least.
  • Options
    yellowwhoyellowwho Posts: 1,661
    I like the Foo Fighters, great band but Pearl Jam is just on different level

Foo Fighters put on a great show, but a Pearl Jam show is a experience. The connection between band and fan is just unmatched in my opinion
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Voted for Pearl jam but I also like foo fighters as well.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    Pearl jams still ahead. Good job Pj fans. We got this.
  • Options
    wall232wall232 New York Posts: 1,346
    The Foo Fighters put on a great show, yes the set list is the same night to night but it's still a great show. With that said, I voted Pearl Jam, it was a no brainer.
    NYPJ
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    wall232 said:

The Foo Fighters put on a great show, yes the set list is the same night to night but it's still a great show. With that said, I voted Pearl Jam, it was a no brainer.

Yah I don't think the changing setlist thing necessarily impacts how good a show is. It's cool but only if you're the kind of person who goes to multiple shows on the same tour. In my experience it's only the die hards of bands that seem to do that. For your casual concert goer it probably makes little to no difference in their overall assessment of a live concert. For those kind of fans/concerts their judging the bands on the individual merits of that one show they see, not the entire tour.
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Zod said:

wall232 said:

Yah I don't think the changing setlist thing necessarily impacts how good a show is. It's cool but only if you're the kind of person who goes to multiple shows on the same tour. In my experience it's only the die hards of bands that seem to do that. For your casual concert goer it probably makes little to no difference in their overall assessment of a live concert. For those kind of fans/concerts their judging the bands on the individual merits of that one show they see, not the entire tour.
    It's something I've come to appreciate from following Pearl Jam. It isn't a rock band's job to play a unique show each night, it is their job to play a great show each night. Maybe the Foo does that. However, bands like PJ that go above and beyond, shake the setlist up, and still play a great show to me are on a different level.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710

Pearl jams still ahead. Good job Pj fans. We got this.

Yeah, our power suprises me. Nice!
  • Options
    Pearl jam fans im sure are more hardcore then Foo Fighters fans. Sadly Foo fighters might have more though
  • Options

Pearl jam fans im sure are more hardcore then Foo Fighters fans. Sadly Foo fighters might have more though

It's hard to gauge. Foo Fighters seem to tour a lot and sell out their shows wherever they go. PJ does small tours, and most of the shows fall in Cities that are pretty much slam dunks. As the tours are smaller you've also got a lot of mobile fans travelling in for them.

If PJ's tours were larger, fans didn't have to travel as much, and they played cities where they were less popular, would they sell them all out? I don't know :)

Foo Fighters aren't quite as media shy and put themselves out there a lot more. It wouldn't really surprise me if they had more fans, but I'm pretty sure the PJ fans are more ravenous :)
  • Options
    Foo fighters are slowly creepin back up. Someone stop this madness.
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,592
    Foo Fighters rock every show. Guaranteed. But Pearl Jam shows rock and leave you with an emotional connection to the band and the music. Love both bands but Pearl Jam gets this vote
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Dave Grohl is one badass documentary maker
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    every hour......every hour.........our self worth is on the line people!!!!!!!!!
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    I feel like its not working every hour? Anyone else feel this way?
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    FF is now even with PJ.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Clash of the Titans bump
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Dave Grohl is an animal. I just saw them at Citi Field last night. I was doubtful that the show would have the same energy because Dave drives so much of that energy and how could he possibly do his thing from the "throne", right?

WRONG. I had so much fun, he embraced the whole broken leg thing. My respect for him has grown exponentially.

I personally still would pick PJ over Foo Fighters any day, but I could see how someone could pick the other way.
  • Options
    That 1 percent lead is closing. This is to suspenseful !!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    losing it.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Im sorry but the talent that comes from Pearl Jam compared to Foo Fighters is ridiculous. The fact that the Foo Fighters are winning is kind of sad. This comes down to the people who actually no there music and the people that dont have a clue.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    we're losing
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    What the hell ! This is bullshit ! If Foo fighters win, I'm giving my tickets away for their show next month
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

Im sorry but the talent that comes from Pearl Jam compared to Foo Fighters is ridiculous. The fact that the Foo Fighters are winning is kind of sad. This comes down to the people who actually no there music and the people that dont have a clue.

Dude, c'mon. Give it a rest.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Saltzy23Saltzy23 Posts: 1,347
    I'm seeing FF in about 6 hours. I've seen them once play at MSG before. Like many people have said, it's kind of hard for someone to be objective when this debate is taking place on a freaking Pearl Jam message board, but no one compares to PJ live. No one. I have now seen pretty much every well known band that is still active, as well as a few that are not anymore and the energy at Pearl Jam shows is unlike anything else I have EVER been to, sans maybe a playoff game or something like that.

There is a reason why I just paid $80 to sit on Field Level tonight to see FF and I have never paid less than like $150 to see PJ. FF are awesome, and I am looking forward to tonight a lot, but they are really a 'Hey honey, did you see FF is playing here in July? We should go' / tickets selling for face or even a little lower kind of show whereas PJ is a 'Holy shit! PJ just announced they are playing! We need to figure out how to get tickets!/People flying in from across the country tickets are going for multiples of their face value 'event'.

'I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine.'
  • Options
    We're all biased because were PJ fan's, so much so were willing to pay $25 to $50 a year to be in their fan club. It doesn't escape me that I probably have an extreme bias to PJ. I in no way shape or form can make an unbiased assessment. That being said I've seen the foo fighters about 5 or 6 times over the last 20 years, and they put on a helluva show. They aren't so terrible that I couldn't see how other people might rank them higher. I try not to put blinders on.

That being said maybe it's because more people have actually seen the Foo's live. Foo Fighters tours are longer and more encompassing. There's probably way more people that have seen the Foo's live than PJ. PJ tours are short and pretty hard to get tickets for because the diehards travel into the shows :) Foo Fighter's are alot more accessible as a live act than PJ, so there could be a lot of people voting that can't draw a comparison to a PJ concert.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Also, fuck this competition in general if Motley Crue beat GNR. That is comical.

My buddy actually walked out on the 'Final' Motley Crue show at MSG last year it was so bad. I mean, unless you are into Tommy Lee playing a drum solo to techno and new age shit music while doing barrel rolls from a drum kit with flashing neon lights on a track suspended above the crowd.

Rock and fucking roll!

Say what you want about Axl and/or GNR, at least they put on a hardcore, balls to the wall rock and roll show and not some ludicrous 'spectacle' that has more to do with the stage set than the goddamn music they are playing.
    Post edited by Saltzy23 on
  • Options

Dude, c'mon. Give it a rest.
    Im only speaking the truth my friend. No need to get upset.
  • Options
    I never saw the original G N' R live but I have seen Guns N' Replacements twice. The first show was pretty awesome. '06 I think. Axl didn't hit the stage until after midnight. Which pissed a lot of people off, but I'm a music fan, and every music fan knows he does this, so if you went to a GNR show and it caught you off guard, what kind of GNR fan are you? :)

The performance was really good, and he brought a Canadian Institutional Icon named Bubbles out to sing liquor and whores which turned into a duet.... Bubbles and Axl..lol!! The show went until 2:30am and has the distinction of being the latest Arena show I've ever seen. I was at the Vancouver '02 show that got scrapped because AXL wasn't at the arena by the time the openers were supposed to start (ie the panicked he's break curfew and pulled the plug on the show). Edmonton was so laid back. They even left the LRT (light rapid transit) sitting there until 2:30 to get everyone back downtown (I don't think it usually operates past 1am).

I saw them a 2nd time a few years later and it wasn't nearly as good. Started way earlier (at 10:30am) and whatever magic I felt at the first one was gone for the second one. I haven't gone back to one since.

The Crue isn't bad live, but they've only got 4 to 6 songs I know/like. GNR has 3 albums and an EP I know front to back. I think they have alot better material to draw from.

I can only imagine what it would of been like to see original lineup back in the day. Lightning in a bottle on stage :)
  • Options
    Zod said:

I never saw the original G N' R live but I have seen Guns N' Replacements twice. The first show was pretty awesome. '06 I think. Axl didn't hit the stage until after midnight. Which pissed a lot of people off, but I'm a music fan, and every music fan knows he does this, so if you went to a GNR show and it caught you off guard, what kind of GNR fan are you? :)

The performance was really good, and he brought a Canadian Institutional Icon named Bubbles out to sing liquor and whores which turned into a duet.... Bubbles and Axl..lol!! The show went until 2:30am and has the distinction of being the latest Arena show I've ever seen. I was at the Vancouver '02 show that got scrapped because AXL wasn't at the arena by the time the openers were supposed to start (ie the panicked he's break curfew and pulled the plug on the show). Edmonton was so laid back. They even left the LRT (light rapid transit) sitting there until 2:30 to get everyone back downtown (I don't think it usually operates past 1am).

I saw them a 2nd time a few years later and it wasn't nearly as good. Started way earlier (at 10:30am) and whatever magic I felt at the first one was gone for the second one. I haven't gone back to one since.

The Crue isn't bad live, but they've only got 4 to 6 songs I know/like. GNR has 3 albums and an EP I know front to back. I think they have alot better material to draw from.

I can only imagine what it would of been like to see original lineup back in the day. Lightning in a bottle on stage :)

It greatly saddens me, but I never got to see the original GNR lineup either. I've seen the new lineup like 10 times or so, including @ MSG, Izod, Hammerstein, and most recently at the Hard Rock in Vegas for the residency they played a few years ago.

If you are a rock fan and do not get pumped up seeing an empty stage and hearing 'Dunnnnn-n-n-n-n......dnnnnn-n-n-n-n-n......Do you know where the fuck you are?!?' I don't know what to tell you. Nothing better than bouncing around to Paradise City as the streamers fall from the sky at the end of the show either.

My greatest concert experience ever is catching the mic at the end of the show I saw in Vegas in 2012. It's a long crazy story, but in short we caught the mic (which if you don't know, Axl tosses into the crowd at the end of every GNR show), had it taken back by security which was bullshit, started a grass roots movement to get it back on the major GNR boards, had the message work its way back to the freaking band (who had no idea were this was happening and were PISSED), and had it mailed back to me, signed by the entire fucking band by the Hard Rock. I got it all framed and matted with a ticket and pics from the show and gave it to my friend that flew me out there when I was going through one of the roughest patchs in my life. It's one of my favorite material objects on the planet, just due to it's sentimental value to me, even though I don't even technically have it in my possession.

This discussion has been closed.