Options

Hair and Beauty Tips

Comments

• Options
    DancedNLaughterDancedNLaughter the 509 Posts: 323
    hedonist said:

RK, I've heard the same thing about the frequency of hair washing - mine being thick and curly/wavy, I wash it about twice a week, and only brush it just before. Definitely makes a difference.

I also only wash my curly hair a couple of times a week and only comb it (with my fingers) when I'm putting conditioner on it. It really has made a difference, I grew up hating my crazy, curly hair, and now I'm finally learning to handle it.
    Push me and I will resist . . .
    Let me run into the rain . . . .to shine a human light today . . .
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    hedonist said:

RK, I've heard the same thing about the frequency of hair washing - mine being thick and curly/wavy, I wash it about twice a week, and only brush it just before. Definitely makes a difference.

PJSiren, Suave's leave-in conditioner and this new curl products of theirs I recently bought seem to work pretty well, but they're used fairly sparingly. Can't go overboard with any of these things!

Ah, ok...Yeah, it was years ago, I was told this, it's probably been let's see... 9.5 years because it was while I lived in KY which I moved to exactly 10 years ago....so how accurate the info still is I don't know...but I know the cheaper the shampoo/conditioner is the more wax filler they put in it...I did that research on my own after she told me that....so I knew what to stay away from...currently we use Garnier, which is cheap also, but it's the only shampoo that will get my daughter's oily hair clean....we tried everything on that head and finally found this "Pure clean" stuff by garnier....works like a charm....but I am going to go back to bed head soon for myself when I can buy it from costco....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Pantene aqua light is the best on my oily hair. The problem is I get eczema or something on my scalp and have to use head & shoulders almond oil sometimes.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

Hey there! As to the coconut oil for removing eye makeup, do you just use it as you would soap? Applied with hands, and rinsed off? Does it leave a film on your eyes?

(got all these fucking questions!)

I just wipe it on my eyes and then wipe off with a soft cloth. I only use a little bit (goes a long way), I haven't done the washing it off part . . . okay, lemme try it . . .

My eye area looks a bit shiny/oily after doing it normally, but I just tried putting it on and kind of rubbing it over your eye and then rinsing and it seems to work well. . . . not greasy or filmy. Plus I feel like it helps moisturize the area around my eyes a bit. Again, a little goes a long way!
    Thank you! I'm going to try this tomorrow. I also recommend mixing a dab of it with face or body cream.

I finally have happy feet (well, happy heels).
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

hedonist said:

I also only wash my curly hair a couple of times a week and only comb it (with my fingers) when I'm putting conditioner on it. It really has made a difference, I grew up hating my crazy, curly hair, and now I'm finally learning to handle it.
    Same here - I used to spend 45 minutes blow-drying it straight every damned morning when I was in my teens.

I no longer bitch about having too much or too thick or too curly hair. Embracing it all!

Plus, the last time I had it blown straight years ago, my scalp hurt for two days and I got sick of the look after three.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Okay, to answer the WEN question-- I've tried it. I'm am a curly girl and while it made my hair look decent for a while, it made my scalp itch and I found that it didn't work for my occasional flare up of the ugly Seborrheic dermatitis. (I get it along the front scalp line, causing chunks of my scalp to chip off in huge flakes, seep oil and bleed. It isn't pleasant.) It seemed to irritate the Seborrheic dermatitis. :frowning:

I wash my hair only a few times a week. I have switched to DevaCurl products and can't sing my praises enough. The gel is wonderful!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Same here - I used to spend 45 minutes blow-drying it straight every damned morning when I was in my teens.

I no longer bitch about having too much or too thick or too curly hair. Embracing it all!

Plus, the last time I had it blown straight years ago, my scalp hurt for two days and I got sick of the look after three.

My mom used to force me to brush my hair (not in a mommie dearest sort of way) and it would just frizz out and look ridiculous. My dad is the one who I got the curls from and, not suprisingly, didn't pass along any helpful hair advice :smile: Needless to say, my teen/college hair years were very painfully akward!!!
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Thank you! I'm going to try this tomorrow. I also recommend mixing a dab of it with face or body cream.

I finally have happy feet (well, happy heels).

And I will try this tonight!! :) Summer is also not kind to my feet!!!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    PJ_Soul said:

FoxyRedLa said:

I don't know what I think of WEN. I've tried it a couple different times. My only suggestion would be wash and rinse twice.

Oh. Well that doesn't sound so hot. I wouldn't hesitate to try it if it were available in stores. But buying blind from online is not something I'll do, since it's to hard to return it if I'm not happy (and the chances are huge that in won't be, judging from experience). WEN seems to only be available online, is thst right??
    I have ugly natural curl that is now more of an ugly wave, so naturally dry and now 2 pregnancies later is thinning - however I think it's my fate anyway. When I used WEN - if I just washed once it felt still dirty and heavy - when i washed again it felt clean and normal. When I wear my hair curly it feels dry and seems so thin is like see through if that makes sense. When I style it straight it seems flat flat flat on top of my head.

Long story short - I hear the comments loud and clear about not washing everyday. I have oily skin and when I used to smoke I couldn't not wash everyday my hair just Ughh eww smelled. I'm guilty of washing daily. But can tell it definitely strip my hair.

Super excited to try the devacurl products and the coconut oil on my feet at bed time ahhhh.

Oh and I bought my WEN through QVC 30 day return no questions asked. They even give you the return label. Just keep the same box it came in.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    My hair is flat as chives, but not too thin. I get scalp problems when the air is too dry, and I love staying natural. Too much shampoo or products make it worse for me usually. Last winter I started rinsing my hair after a light wash with shampoo with a solution of raw apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg's) and water. I just put a bit in a small water bottle and fill it up with warm water. It cleans the scapl and removes the itchiness and makes the hair super shiny and soft. I leave it in for a couple of minutes while I am still in the shower and then rinse. It does not smell. In the winter, I also apply coconut oil. I have done it two times now and it feels amazing.

For inside, I also swear by Braggs. I drink a tiny shot of APV every day followed by a large amount of water.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

Super excited to try the devacurl products and the coconut oil on my feet at bed time ahhhh.

I agree with deadendp, the devacurl stuff is amazing!!!

Last winter I started rinsing my hair after a light wash with shampoo with a solution of raw apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg's) and water. I just put a bit in a small water bottle and fill it up with warm water. It cleans the scapl and removes the itchiness and makes the hair super shiny and soft. I leave it in for a couple of minutes while I am still in the shower and then rinse.

I have heard great things about using apple cider vinegar as a rinse, I may have to try this too!!!

Anybody have any good summer makeup suggestions? My aveeno moisturizer feels way too heavy in the summer (anything on my face tends to) and I have yet to find a great eyeliner and mascara option for the summer, even the waterproof stuff tends to run!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    RKCNDY said:

My hair is super dry, and processed. The tip I got for my skin and hair, "stop showering and washing your hair every day". Reason being, you're not giving your body a chance to replenish the oils from your scalp to the hair shaft when you wash your hair, you are stripping away the oils, and that causes the dryness.

In my case, my skin freaked out and started peeling, on the palms of my hands and my scalp. So I had to use coal tar shampoo for 2 weeks, showering and washing every other day-at the very most, wash every 3 days if I can stand it. It's hard at first, because I was so itchy, but like your deoderant, you have to let your body get used to it. If you don't have dry skin, you can still shower every day, just don't wash your hair, you can rinse it under water if you have been particularly sweaty.

I love Bed Head Self Absorbed as well, I love Orlando Pita Argan shampoo and conditioner. For after the shower, and between washing, I love Fekkai Glossing cream, it says it's for curly hair, but it works wonders on my slightly wavy hair. So much moisture, you don't even need to use that much.

I know that washing your hair everyday isn't good for it, but there is a problem there for me. I wouldn't be presentable for the public or work if i didn't wash my hair in the morning. It gets greasy super fast, and just really weird and dirty looking. The waves get all crazy, etc. I just don't have the luxury of not washing it, unfortunately. I need products to help me.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    PJ_Soul said:

I know that washing your hair everyday isn't good for it, but there is a problem there for me. I wouldn't be presentable for the public or work if i didn't wash my hair in the morning. It gets greasy super fast, and just really weird and dirty looking. The waves get all crazy, etc. I just don't have the luxury of not washing it, unfortunately. I need products to help me.

Have you tried dry shampoo? It soaks up the excess oils without stripping it badly, just picked up some at Lush. You could also try wearing a headband/scarf when going through the beginning phases of washing less frequently...yes/no?
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    GillycwGillycw Sydney Posts: 524
    RKCNDY said:

PJ_Soul said:

Have you tried dry shampoo? It soaks up the excess oils without stripping it badly, just picked up some at Lush. You could also try wearing a headband/scarf when going through the beginning phases of washing less frequently...yes/no?
    Yes! Dry shampoo is the shizzle
    When my hair is frizzy (also have shitloads of fine hair ) I use Argan oil or Moroccan oil. You just put it in during blow drying, it's pretty light and doesn't grease up or feel heavy in your hair. And it smells awesome

• Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

Anybody have any good summer makeup suggestions? My aveeno moisturizer feels way too heavy in the summer (anything on my face tends to) and I have yet to find a great eyeliner and mascara option for the summer, even the waterproof stuff tends to run!

Clinique works well for me. It's light and is about the only moisturizer and makeup that don't bother my skin. They were putting sunblock in their makeup way before most brands. Summers are very hot and dry in Texas so I need all the help I can get.
    PJ_Soul said:

I have the same problem. My hair is thin and very fine. I haven't tried dry shampoo in years. Unless it's really improved in quality, I'm a little dubious about using it.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    I thought this was going to be beauty tips by Rob.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

I thought this was going to be beauty tips by Rob.

He contributed one!
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734

FoxyRedLa said:

Last winter I started rinsing my hair after a light wash with shampoo with a solution of raw apple cider vinegar (I use Bragg's) and water. I just put a bit in a small water bottle and fill it up with warm water. It cleans the scapl and removes the itchiness and makes the hair super shiny and soft. I leave it in for a couple of minutes while I am still in the shower and then rinse.

I have heard great things about using apple cider vinegar as a rinse, I may have to try this too!!!

Eminence - the best thing I have ever used! This is what I use everyday.
    I have moved over to them for all of my skincare needs, it is pricey but it works and it's organic what more could you ask for :)
    https://eminenceorganics.com/ca

As for make up I got no tips there I barely wear it and even more rarely in the summer.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

PJ_Soul said:

No. :lol: I have tried the dry shampoo, and that's fine for the greasy hair, but it doesn't help the fact that my hair is still all poofy and fucked up. Unless I wrapped all of my hair up in a scarf I wouldn't be hiding the problem (and I'm just not willing to wrap my entire head up in a scarf, lol. But thank you for the suggestions!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Gillycw said:

RKCNDY said:

PJ_Soul said:

Yes! Dry shampoo is the shizzle
    When my hair is frizzy (also have shitloads of fine hair ) I use Argan oil or Moroccan oil. You just put it in during blow drying, it's pretty light and doesn't grease up or feel heavy in your hair. And it smells awesome

The Moroccan oil doesn't work on my hair at all, unfortunately. It did grease up my hair and felt very heavy - even the stuff for fine hair, which is supposed to be lighter, was no good. :( However, I know a lot of people who do love that product, so I think it is something that everyone should try if they're looking for something.
  • Options
    edited July 2015

FoxyRedLa said:

For face cream, I use Nivea Q10Plus day cream. It's anti-wrinkle and a moisturizer, and it doesn't feel heavy at all, it's oil free (I do have an oily t-zone), and keeps away the fine lines. I really love it. I also just started using that L'Oreal Revitalift for eyes, and I'm really happy with that too. I was noticing lately that I was starting to get that sort of crinkly look on my eyelids just while I was applying eyeshadow, and I had to take further action, lol. The anti-wrinkle face cream is preventative for me. I started using it when I was maybe 26 in the hopes that it would keep any fine lines from forming, and as far as I can tell it's totally worked. I don't have any fine lines, and I'm 39. So yay! I know the lines will come anyway, but I've definitely delayed it I think. I also use L'Oreal toner for normal to oily skin, which I also really like.

For mascara, I think Maybelline actually makes the best by far, and I've tried a lot, including the high end brands. I talked about this once with a make-up artist (she does weddings), and she agreed that it is definitely the best brand for mascara, and it was the only kind she would use. I wouldn't use the waterproof stuff though (unless you plan on crying). That is the kind that I find causes the raccoon eyes the most, and it's too hard to wash off. I can't remember the stupid name it has, but I use the one that's got the yellow bottle with purple writing on it. Something about volumizing I think. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!!! I'm going to look into all of them! I know I need to take care of my skin with moisturizer, but god, especially lately, it feels like my face is coated with Crisco whenever I put it on and go outside!!
    PJ_Soul said:

For mascara, I think Maybelline actually makes the best by far, and I've tried a lot, including the high end brands. I talked about this once with a make-up artist (she does weddings), and she agreed that it is definitely the best brand for mascara, and it was the only kind she would use. I wouldn't use the waterproof stuff though (unless you plan on crying). That is the kind that I find causes the raccoon eyes the most, and it's too hard to wash off. I can't remember the stupid name it has, but I use the one that's got the yellow bottle with purple writing on it. Something about volumizing I think. :)

I will definitely try that. I don't use the high end anyway and I use waterproof because of the heat (and sweat lady glow) issues in summer, but I'll give regular a try. My lashes do okay on their own, but I like a fuller look sometimes :wink:
  • Options
    On the mascara, I forgot to add that Clinique makes a mascara primer. I thought it sounded nuts when I first heard about it. I don't know if other brands have them. It looks weird when you first start using it because it's white. :tired_face: But it dries clear, then you add your regular mascara. It really seems to keep my mascara looking good all day. Definitely doesn't run.

I'm pretty sold on Clinique though. I had to see a dermatologist several years ago and asked him if there was something milder I could use. He told me to stick with what I was doing.
  • Options

On the mascara, I forgot to add that Clinique makes a mascara primer.
    I'm pretty sold on Clinique though. I had to see a dermatologist several years ago and asked him if there was something milder I could use. He told me to stick with what I was doing.

My friend recommended Clinique to me. Haven't tried it in the past because it's a little spendier than what I'm usually buying, but it isn't too out of the realm compared to some other brands. So far I have one eyeliner that seems to stay put, but I haven't really summer tested it yet ;)

I will look into that mascara primer. That sounds pretty intersting!!!
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I love how randomly one of the male regulars will drop in with a smart ass comment :lol:

I dont wear make up. I never learned how. You say toner I think copy machine. My skin is incredibly stupid sensitive anyway. The entire right side of my face looks like a goddamn Martian landscape from the stupid heat/humidity. I switch between various Origins facial cleansers. Right now I've got the Charcoal one and the yellow one in the shower and the frothy one in my suitcase.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

I love how randomly one of the male regulars will drop in with a smart ass comment :lol:

I dont wear make up. I never learned how. You say toner I think copy machine. My skin is incredibly stupid sensitive anyway. The entire right side of my face looks like a goddamn Martian landscape from the stupid heat/humidity. I switch between various Origins facial cleansers. Right now I've got the Charcoal one and the yellow one in the shower and the frothy one in my suitcase.

Haha. Well toner is pretty great. Just put it on with a cotton pad after you wash it, and it tightens up your pores and helps give your skin an even tone. I can't live without it. My face just feels wrong when I don't use it, lol.
  • Options
    When I do wear make up....I swear by Urban Decay....it's pricey stuff, but it's amazing stuff...worth it to avoid the shit I'm allergic to in make-up like parabens and soy...
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

Haha. Well toner is pretty great. Just put it on with a cotton pad after you wash it, and it tightens up your pores and helps give your skin an even tone. I can't live without it. My face just feels wrong when I don't use it, lol.
    Printer toner???????? I am confused.

Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:

ldent42 said:

Printer toner???????? I am confused.

It is also sometimes refered to as astringent....it cleans pores....
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    ldent42 said:

i'm not much for make-up either. I know to wash my face with a gentle cleanser and put on a nice moisturizer (I use L'Occitane-crazy expensive, but I have really sensitive skin)

The extent of my make up is, BB cream, urban decay eyeliner, UD Naked Basics shadow, and sometimes an UD colored shadow. I've been told that I have good skin, and I shouldn't use anything but water to 'wash' my face.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless