Options

Hair and Beauty Tips

PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
edited July 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
This is about the girliest post I will ever create, but of course men are welcome as well! :) I thought a place for any questions, answers, and recommendations when it comes to hair treatments and products, and all other beauty-related things like skin care, special products and gadgets, etc etc etc related to keeping ourselves presentable and comfortable could be helpful!

The main reason it's on my mind and my first question: I have problem hair (ultra dry, really bad in humidity, weird waves, fine but tons of it, just a fucking nightmare - I never used to have these issues, but the aging process appears to be really fucking my hair right up), so I am always desperately searching for hair products and treatment/styling methods that work for me and my stupid hair (I am up to 6 different products every single day just to keep it manageable while still looking like I use no product, and no, that's not what is causing my hair problems, lol). My hair regiment's most important/necessary product (Bumble & Bumble Deeeep once a week conditioning treatment) has been taken off the market and I have already drained the secondary market (I feel like Elaine when she lost the sponge!!!). Anyone know of a truly amazing deep conditioning treatment? I have tried all kinds of products that salons recommend but I haven't found anything that comes close to the product I'm trying to replace. Thx!
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
Post edited by PJ_Soul on

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Something tells me I'll be venturing into this thread on a regular basis =)

Sucks when you finally find a good product and then it's no more!

Coconut oil is a nice deep conditioner; not too heavy or messy, can leave it in overnight. Works well when washed out with a clarifying shampoo (Lush's BIG is fantastic!).

It's also good on the skin, especially when mixed with regular body cream - again, I recommend Lush's products.
  • Options
    Interesting! The really appealing part about that is what I assume must be a relatively low price. What, would you just buy it at the grocery store??

As for clarifying shampoos, I use Bumble & Bumble Sunday shampoo. Use it once a week. I guess it might dry out your hair if you're not using good conditioners. But obviously, with the kind of conditioners I use plus all the other products, I need the Sunday shampoo. Lifesaver.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Garnier makes a triple oil shampoo/conditioner. It's in a yellow bottle. I don't have the same hair as you but mine is very sensitive to hard water. After two days in Berlin I considered shaving my head, but luckily found this in the store first. I know it's probably not heavy duty enough but considering it's likely relative affordability maybe you should try it. I don't know exactly what it's called cuz my bottle is in German (yes I brought it home) but I've seen it in the stores here.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Garnier makes a triple oil shampoo/conditioner. It's in a yellow bottle. I don't have the same hair as you but mine is very sensitive to hard water. After two days in Berlin I considered shaving my head, but luckily found this in the store first. I know it's probably not heavy duty enough but considering it's likely relative affordability maybe you should try it. I don't know exactly what it's called cuz my bottle is in German (yes I brought it home) but I've seen it in the stores here.

Thanks! You're right, it's probably not heavy duty enough for me, lol. BUT, you never know! I am up for trying just about anything. Luckily, hair products that don't work for you can be returned at most places (though most salons only do refunds for store credit).
    The word "oil" makes me nervous to be honest (same with the coconut oil). My hair is super prone to being oily even though it's dry like the desert too, which is infuriating. I've tried 3 different Morocco Oil products (which is the go-to recommendation from most salons), and all of them, even the one for fine hair, was way too oily and heavy for me.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    On a totally unrelated note, I hate sweating. There is nothing worse than pit stains, lol. And unfortunately I am a sweater (not the woolly kind... nor the stinky kind, ha... but it is one of the reasons I hate the summer). So with this heatwave, I decided to take drastic measures, and started using Perspirex. It works so well!!! You need to really follow the instructions though, unless you want your armpits to develop a horrifying rash. The part about only putting it on when your underarms are COMPLETELY dry is important, and drying it with the blow dryer (on the cool mode) is necessary. But after the initiation period when you use it everyday for a week (or every other day for 2 weeks for sensitive skin - that's what I did), you only need to apply it twice a week (plus use your regular antiperspirant. You might not have to, but that's what I do). But seriously, even in 32 degree heat my armpits don't sweat at all, really. I can wear grey on a hot summer day now! :lol:

PS - antiperspirant causing cancer is a myth, FYI.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Interesting! The really appealing part about that is what I assume must be a relatively low price. What, would you just buy it at the grocery store??

As for clarifying shampoos, I use Bumble & Bumble Sunday shampoo. Use it once a week. I guess it might dry out your hair if you're not using good conditioners. But obviously, with the kind of conditioners I use plus all the other products, I need the Sunday shampoo. Lifesaver.

Yup, the jar of it I bought from the market was 8 or 9 bucks, I think. But don't put it on your scalp or roots!
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    There are all kinds of products I've wanted to talk about but thought we weren't "allowed" to cuz it's like advertising/ment...?

Have you tried WEN? Ojon?
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    DancedNLaughterDancedNLaughter the 509 Posts: 323
    My curly hair gets very, very dry, and I use the DevaCurl products. The whole schtick of the line is that it's specifically for curly hair and embracing the curl, so I don't know how they would work if you weren't wanting to embrace the curl :) Part of the "method" though is to not rinse out all your conditioner, leaving some in (not a ton) to help moisturize your hair, which seems to go a long way for me in taming my cray-cray frizzy hair!!

I would also try the coconut oil, I love that stuff!!! I use it to remove my eye makeup, when my kids have mystery rashes, on dry skin, oh, and to bake with :lol:

BTW, I love this thread! :heart: Thank you PJ_Soul for starting it!!!!
    Push me and I will resist . . .
    Let me run into the rain . . . .to shine a human light today . . .
  • Options
    Totally going to try the perspirex!!! My apricot Tom's ain't cutting it in this 100 + degree heat. :unamused:
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Totally going to try the perspirex!!! My apricot Tom's ain't cutting it in this 100 + degree heat. :unamused:

Nice, you won't be sorry. But a tip: if you find that it itches at first, push through. That itching is mostly from not making sure you're dry (and not drying after application). But also your skin isn't used to it, and since you need to basically acclimatize your pits to it for that first week or two by using it every night or every other night, it could get somewhat irritated. But it was all completely worth it and then some.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    FoxyRedLa said:

There are all kinds of products I've wanted to talk about but thought we weren't "allowed" to cuz it's like advertising/ment...?

I have not tried those. I'll check them out too. I am desperate. I just used my last application of my beloved Deeeep product on Sunday (and I had to spend triple the cost of retail and order it from China on the secondary market). Come this Sunday I will be lost! :frowning:
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

A lot of people I know swear by WEN. Never tried it myself, but have heard great things about it.
  • Options

FoxyRedLa said:

A lot of people I know swear by WEN. Never tried it myself, but have heard great things about it.
    Awesome. Starting research now. :)
  • Options
    I don't know what I think of WEN. I've tried it a couple different times. My only suggestion would be wash and rinse twice.
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Hey ladies, I have had a blue hawk-mo (reverse mo-hawk), but...that probably doesn't help.
    Welp, see you around.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    What? No pic?
  • Options
    Malroth said:

Hey ladies, I have had a blue hawk-mo (reverse mo-hawk), but...that probably doesn't help.
    Welp, see you around.

What's a reverse Mohawk?
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

I don't know what I think of WEN. I've tried it a couple different times. My only suggestion would be wash and rinse twice.

Oh. Well that doesn't sound so hot. I wouldn't hesitate to try it if it were available in stores. But buying blind from online is not something I'll do, since it's to hard to return it if I'm not happy (and the chances are huge that in won't be, judging from experience). WEN seems to only be available online, is thst right??
  • Options
    edited July 2015

My curly hair gets very, very dry, and I use the DevaCurl products. The whole schtick of the line is that it's specifically for curly hair and embracing the curl, so I don't know how they would work if you weren't wanting to embrace the curl :) Part of the "method" though is to not rinse out all your conditioner, leaving some in (not a ton) to help moisturize your hair, which seems to go a long way for me in taming my cray-cray frizzy hair!!

I would also try the coconut oil, I love that stuff!!! I use it to remove my eye makeup, when my kids have mystery rashes, on dry skin, oh, and to bake with :lol:

:)

For sure will give the coconut oil a try! I have thought about trying curly hair products for the moisture, but since my goal is to make bad waves straight I'm scared it will fuck it up. I should ask at the salon.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,459
    I give Suave two thumbs up!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Wow. I'd give that Perspirex a try but I don't have a blow drier.And my skin might be tooooo sensitive.

On the subject of deodorant: I've tried the dove dry spray & don't recommend it. If you're not super careful you'll get the marks on your shirt. As someone who's used "invisible" for basically forever without having this issue it's incredibly annoying. Also, and this is gross so I'm sorry - but the morning after there is a special kind of pit funk that I've never encountered before. Not with regular deodorant, not with zero deodorant, not with excessive perspiration, never. I think it's something to do with the butane. Since I bought the whole can (could've done with a sample size, Dove!) I'll still use it when I'm super late or otherwise in a rush cuz it IS dry, so no waiting for it to dry before throwing a top on.

I can recommend a goats milk soap store on etsy, but I don't want to violate rules about advertising. I "met" the owner/producer on a forum a few years ago and kept ordering every now and then. They have a goat farm so soap is like a no brainer. Cute shapes and scents, usually changing based on supply. Based in Oregon I think.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,734
    I have the fine hair and lots of it and I find that this works well. Best part is they sell it in London Drugs.
    And no word of lie I find the Garnier Color Shield Conditioner works better than any fancy conditioner I've tried.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    PJ_Soul, how long ago did Bumble and Bumble discontinue Deep?
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    edited July 2015
    My favorite Shampoo/conditioner is Bed Head's Self Absorbed....and I just discovered Costco sells it and for half the price of a beauty salon....I'm SOOOOOO stoked about that....I can't wait to buy some!!! I haven't used it in forever....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    imalive said:

I'll tell you what, Suave gives many other brands a run for their money!
  • Options

Hey there! As to the coconut oil for removing eye makeup, do you just use it as you would soap? Applied with hands, and rinsed off? Does it leave a film on your eyes?

(got all these fucking questions!)
  • Options
    PJSirenPJSiren Salem, OR Posts: 5,863
    hedonist said:

imalive said:

I'll tell you what, Suave gives many other brands a run for their money!
    I was told by my hair dresser to never use suave, use anything but suave or white rain, because they put more wax build up in your hair than any other brands....they use it as a filler ingredient....now I don't know if suave still does, as I've seen their price go up in recent years....but definitely stay away from White Rain....
    Music is my Religion and Pearl Jam, my Savior!
    Tattooed Dissident!
  • Options
    RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
    My hair is super dry, and processed. The tip I got for my skin and hair, "stop showering and washing your hair every day". Reason being, you're not giving your body a chance to replenish the oils from your scalp to the hair shaft when you wash your hair, you are stripping away the oils, and that causes the dryness.

In my case, my skin freaked out and started peeling, on the palms of my hands and my scalp. So I had to use coal tar shampoo for 2 weeks, showering and washing every other day-at the very most, wash every 3 days if I can stand it. It's hard at first, because I was so itchy, but like your deoderant, you have to let your body get used to it. If you don't have dry skin, you can still shower every day, just don't wash your hair, you can rinse it under water if you have been particularly sweaty.

I love Bed Head Self Absorbed as well, I love Orlando Pita Argan shampoo and conditioner. For after the shower, and between washing, I love Fekkai Glossing cream, it says it's for curly hair, but it works wonders on my slightly wavy hair. So much moisture, you don't even need to use that much.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Hey there! As to the coconut oil for removing eye makeup, do you just use it as you would soap? Applied with hands, and rinsed off? Does it leave a film on your eyes?

(got all these fucking questions!)

I just wipe it on my eyes and then wipe off with a soft cloth. I only use a little bit (goes a long way), I haven't done the washing it off part . . . okay, lemme try it . . .

My eye area looks a bit shiny/oily after doing it normally, but I just tried putting it on and kind of rubbing it over your eye and then rinsing and it seems to work well. . . . not greasy or filmy. Plus I feel like it helps moisturize the area around my eyes a bit. Again, a little goes a long way!
  • Options
    RK, I've heard the same thing about the frequency of hair washing - mine being thick and curly/wavy, I wash it about twice a week, and only brush it just before. Definitely makes a difference.

PJSiren, Suave's leave-in conditioner and this new curl products of theirs I recently bought seem to work pretty well, but they're used fairly sparingly. Can't go overboard with any of these things!