Options

Happy 20th Anniversary 07.08.95 Milwaukee

cropdustdaircropdustdair Lakewood, CO / Earth Posts: 2,006
edited July 2015 in The Porch
Happy 20th to the first of two shows at the Milwaukee Summerfest. Eddie with Thunder And Lightning is great. In fact, if you don't have the Song Sung Blue DVD, you should pick it up. It features the performance.
The unofficial bootleg I have for this show is called "Milwaukee The First Evening".
A solid show all around. A very fast Last Exit. Great versions of Daughter and Black.

07/08/95 - Summerfest: Marcus Amphitheater: Milwaukee, WI [130m]
attendance: 24,000
support act: The Frogs and Bad Religion
set: Oceans, Go, Animal, Even Flow (song stopped), Corduroy, Whipping, Better Man, Dissident, Last Exit, Spin the Black Circle, Tremor Christ, Jeremy, Daughter/(Stepping Stone), Improv, State of Love and Trust, Black, Not for You, Immortality, Alive, Blood/Improv (One of Those Days), I Got Shit, Rearviewmirror, Yellow Ledbetter
enc: Forever in Blue Jeans, Porch
notes: Security permitted cameras into this show. There is no pit at this venue and the seats are bolted down. The mood was tentative, given the outcome of the previous show in San Francisco. After becoming comfortable with an extremely appreciative audience, the show became unforgettable. Long, jammy version of 'Alive.' Stone discovers a new, goofy riff to inject into the middle of 'Blood' and the band has a good laugh over it. Eddie addresses the crowd before 'Not For You' about the recent tour difficulties. He quips, "I gotta tell ya, my stomach hurts like hell right now. I think I got cryptosporidium," a reference to a cryptosporidium outbreak in the Milwaukee water system in the early 90s. (Recall he left the stage early at PJ's previous show in San Francisco due to food poisioning.) Ed brings out a Neil Diamond impersonator and the guy's wife (local folks, Thunder and Lightning) to sing 'Forever in Blue Jeans.' Ed pulls up a chair and crosses his legs like he's just sitting in a coffee house with a few friends and sings the second verse. Fun show with the guys showing a lot of energy.
Post edited by cropdustdair on

Comments

• Options
    jbird2334jbird2334 Posts: 33
    Best show ever! Good times...

Words can have the same kind of magic as riffs can. Stone Gossard
  • Options
    branscopbranscop Posts: 1,181
    great show...i remember mailing in my ticket request late to the 10c...they still sent me tix!!
  • Options
    primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,339
    My first show! Paid $150 for 2 bleacher seats from a scalping company. At the time this was way over face value. Still have the poster and shirt from the show! Joined ten club shortly after the show and have been in ever since! Member #128XXX. 20 years bitches!!!
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    2nd best milwaukee show they did :wink:
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    2nd show ever for me! What a great time, loved Thunder and Lightning, the Frogs were just weird, but fun. 1 and only time getting OCEANS! Was a great warm-up for Soldier Field, wish I would have checked the box for night 2 fucking missed Little Wing!

I remember my buddy and I were there until the clean up and a roadie threw out one of Jack's drumsticks, this guy and his girlfriend saw it the same time as us and we all four ran to it and grabbed it. imagine a four person tug-o-war on a drumstick and we had one! My bud ass-checked them and we ran like hell with it! She kept yelling as we ran away" We can split it guys c'mon" Still have that fucker....my precious
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    An overlooked show, I think, due to all the time that's passed. When it happened, I assume it must have been monumental in the fan community coming in the wake of the infamous San Fran show. Thanks to those who were there for sharing your memories in this thread so far.
    "Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,868
    edited July 2015
    There was definitely a sense of caution, when he started talking about his stomach my heart sunk for Chicago in a few days. We all were glad he was feeling better, there was a sense or relief as well amongst the fan club area