Options

You have $535 to buy a new guitar - what do you get?

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
and why?
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    Epiphone ES-339. Because I've been wanting an ES-339 since Gibson released them about seven or eight years ago, and the Epiphone version has been pretty well reviewed. And considering the Gibson version is now exceeding $2,000... the Epi version seems like a steal at $470. Or you can pick up the natural-finish P-90 version for $350 (the P-90 version ranges up to $430 depending on finish). If I got the Epi version, I might lean toward getting the P-90 version and upgrading to Fralin pickups. If you get the cheapest 339 at $350, and the Fralin pups are $180 a set, you get away with a killer guitar for $530, skating right under the limit.

Then again, these are my own, VERY personal tastes and preferences.

There are a lot of killer guitars to be had in the $500 range, so it's not easy to pick one. Then again, I probably wouldn't spend $535 on a guitar right now; I'd probably save up and get the Gibson like I've been planning on getting for years. I have a few guitars already, so I'm not in any hurry to pick something up. Do you have a reason to get a guitar RIGHT NOW for the specific amount you have to spend? Or are you just GASing with money to burn?
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Definitely don't have money to burn. Definitely don't have to have one now. That dollar amount is what I've saved up here and there over the years and isn't ear marked for anything in particular. Just getting some ideas from you all. I love my Epiphone Les Paul - its 13 years old and plays so well. I am searching for a different style, and something a bit lighter than the Les Paul. I have been looking at the ES-339 and the Epi P90 Riviera with the Bigsby for a few years now. I have played the Riviera but it seems a bit big to me. Have you played either?
    Post edited by 2-feign-reluctance on
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    I've played the Gibson and Epiphone ES-339s, but not the P-90 versions. I haven't played a Riviera in ages, so I can't even try to compare. The Riviera is obviously going to be much larger, since the 339 is one of the smallest hollowbody guitars that Gib/Epi makes. They do make semihollow Les Pauls, too.

Besides weight, what sort of difference do you want from your Les Paul? Tone? Neck? Sound? Feel? It would be pretty easy to tell you to get a Strat or Tele, or maybe an SG, since all of those are pretty different (and some are even lighter than an LP). But without knowing what direction you want to go, it's hard to make a recommendation.

A 339 with P-90s would definitely be different from your LP, but be close enough that you wouldn't be re-inventing your playing style or amp settings. Then again, maybe that's what you're looking for.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited July 2015
    classic epiphone lp standard, I love mine

but since I already have one I would keep saving for a tele or a strat
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    Great question! I would probably find an acoustic or resonator with a cutaway for around that price (not sure which). I would like to find one to bring with me on river/camping trips to play with other people, and not worry about banging it up a little bit. If I were to buy another electric- I would go with the 339! Semi-hollow body may be my next purchase. I've got a Les Paul and a Strat already.
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982
    Does it have to be "new"? You can get some serious sound if you take that cash and find the right used guitar. Hell my used 98 MIM strat and 97 Epi Sheraton 2 with 57 Classic pick ups totaled out to about $600.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    BHealy said:

Great question! I would probably find an acoustic or resonator with a cutaway for around that price (not sure which). I would like to find one to bring with me on river/camping trips to play with other people, and not worry about banging it up a little bit. If I were to buy another electric- I would go with the 339! Semi-hollow body may be my next purchase. I've got a Les Paul and a Strat already.

I didn't think about acoustic! If you want an acoustic-electric: Yamaha FGX-730SC is the best that money will buy. I was told the same thing on a different forum and it could not have been more true, that guitar is the possession I hold most dear. For just acoustic, I would probably choose from the Yamaha line still, they're such beautiful guitars.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504
    PRS SE Angelus. Don't own one but have played around with one and it's a lot of guitar for the money.
  • Options
    Bud ColderBud Colder Baltimore Posts: 142
    Dude I play guitar I have prs but the best in my book are American fender starts mike loves them to you can't go wrong the neck on a strat they have a better feel than any others I have played I tried Gibson lp they just don't feel right in my hand I know they are great guitars but not for me give me an American strat with maple neck and look the fuck out
  • Options
    Bud ColderBud Colder Baltimore Posts: 142
    Btw stone likes starts to I guess it come down to the way a guitar feels to you . And if you buy one buy American strat not no Mexico made Strat or Squire Strat image
  • Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    LOVE this question!

Dude I play guitar I have prs but the best in my book are American fender starts mike loves them to you can't go wrong the neck on a strat they have a better feel than any others I have played I tried Gibson lp they just don't feel right in my hand I know they are great guitars but not for me give me an American strat with maple neck and look the fuck out

...Imma let you finish....but that's the longest run-on sentence of all time!
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Options
    Going to keep saving. Would like an American Telecaster down the road. Something lighter to play, looking for a Keith Richards style blues/sound.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    That's a good choice, don't blow your load now when you can let it build to something bigger.

Speaking of, check out this beauty: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-vintage-hot-rod-52-telecaster-electric-guitar

You'd have to find one used now, or build one yourself, but that's a damn fine instrument for a Keith Richards thing.
  • Options

That's a good choice, don't blow your load now when you can let it build to something bigger.

Speaking of, check out this beauty: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/fender-vintage-hot-rod-52-telecaster-electric-guitar

You'd have to find one used now, or build one yourself, but that's a damn fine instrument for a Keith Richards thing.

Nice piece, except my baby hands can't handle the U shaped neck if its the one I'm thinking it is.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'd look for a used Tele. Found a US one for $600 CDN. American made. Become my favourite toy.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    My wife just surprised me with a used 2007 Gibson SG Standard she bought from a friend of ours! I think she paid close to that amount. I love it.
  • Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504

Going to keep saving. Would like an American Telecaster down the road. Something lighter to play, looking for a Keith Richards style blues/sound.

Ever make a purchase??
  • Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Check out some of the newer PRS SE guitars, they are build well and play nicely. I was lucky enough to receive a comp'd PRS SE Tremonti signature guitar. I love how it plays, but I rarely play it as I have many other higher end guitars that I prefer.
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options

Ever make a purchase??
    Nope. That money has been tucked back into savings.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Guy in my area just posted a used Epiphone ES-339 for under $300. I think I'm having a GAS attack. Can't breathe.
  • Options
    pulling69pulling69 KIAD Posts: 982

Guy in my area just posted a used Epiphone ES-339 for under $300. I think I'm having a GAS attack. Can't breathe.

What year? The older Korean Epiphones are tits.
    "Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit."
  • Options
    I think Epiphone released their version of the ES-339 around 2012, so it's gotta be the last three years or so. The ad didn't specify year. And just ran out of gear funds, so the point is moot for me anyways. I just wanted commiseration.
  • Options
    TD-2243TD-2243 Posts: 103
    I need a strat. All my guitars are dual humbuckers, so I could use something with variation for sure. That's my answer.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Too many shows to even begin to remember.
    Long live The Pearl Jams!
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Some of my music...
    https://soundcloud.com/fingerchili
    ------------------------------------------------------------H
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685

Epiphone ES-339. Because I've been wanting an ES-339 since Gibson released them about seven or eight years ago, and the Epiphone version has been pretty well reviewed. And considering the Gibson version is now exceeding $2,000... the Epi version seems like a steal at $470. Or you can pick up the natural-finish P-90 version for $350 (the P-90 version ranges up to $430 depending on finish). If I got the Epi version, I might lean toward getting the P-90 version and upgrading to Fralin pickups. If you get the cheapest 339 at $350, and the Fralin pups are $180 a set, you get away with a killer guitar for $530, skating right under the limit.

Then again, these are my own, VERY personal tastes and preferences.

There are a lot of killer guitars to be had in the $500 range, so it's not easy to pick one. Then again, I probably wouldn't spend $535 on a guitar right now; I'd probably save up and get the Gibson like I've been planning on getting for years. I have a few guitars already, so I'm not in any hurry to pick something up. Do you have a reason to get a guitar RIGHT NOW for the specific amount you have to spend? Or are you just GASing with money to burn?

Good choice! THe Epiphone Dot is a great guitar for under $500 as well.

At this point I would hope to find a Fender Standard Telecaster for $535. They go for more but I would take cash with me and hold it out to the salesperson and say, "This is what I've got. Do we have a deal?" I base this choice also with the consideration that I could find one that feels and sounds right. I looked at and played a Tele in a shop several years ago that felt and sounded fantastic and was only $250 new but at the time I didn't have the money. I should have bought it anyway. Oh well.

I would also consider a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster Electric Guitar Vintage White which can be found for under $400. I would choose this one purely based on the fact of being a Mascis FANATIC!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rollingsrollings unknown Posts: 7,124
    Do you have a good amp?
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    edited October 2015
    Post edited by CM189191 on
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    rollings said:

Do you have a good amp?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.