Options

What song/Band made you want to play?

Was there a song or a band that inspired you to start playing?

My mom played piano so I banged (literally) on the keys, when I was young. In 4th grade, I played the violin. Then I started the trumpet and drums, in band (BAND GEEKS RULE)! But, for guitar, it was a bit different. The first song that really made me want to play was "Back Here Baby" by BB Mak. I heard/saw them on the Disney Channel, when I was much younger, and I wanted to play. Fast forward to high school (and all the drama and adolescence that goes with that) and I was introduced to Pearl Jam and Nirvana. My buddy had a Fender Mustang (which he eventually gave me as a graduation present) and taught me how to play. I was hooked. Though I rarely play now (because life gets in the way), I still get the occasional itch. What about everyone on here?
Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
"Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Sultan's of Swing, Machine Gun and Mike McCready's solo during Garden at Atlanta 94'
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    BHealyBHealy Flagstaff, Arizona Posts: 466
    Pearl Jam of course! But actually, seeing a buddy play "In The Pines/Where did you sleep last night" on a river trip, made me think that it might actually be possible to learn to play cool songs. That got me motivated to rent a crappy acoustic and try it.
  • Options
    Stickman12Stickman12 Posts: 504

Sultan's of Swing, Machine Gun and Mike McCready's solo during Garden at Atlanta 94'

My answer to the question is Pearl Jam. But I have been really digging some YouTube videos of people playing Sultans of Swing. An underrated classic.
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Neil Young
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395
    I have a different sort of answer. The musicians who made me want to play were my friends and kids I knew in Junior High and High School. I was amazed to see people I knew get up on stage and play really good music, and it made it seem possible for me to do that. So I did. I still remember going down to the local record store and buying a CD from one of those bands, kids I sat in English and Math classes with. That blew me away.

No doubt I had my musical heroes, like Pearl Jam and Nirvana and Green Day. I also had the music my dad listened to when I was young. I had the music my friends were listening to, and learning how to play. I had the songs that made girls stop and pay attention to me. But pretty soon, it was me and my band that made me want to play.

The last key to my playing music is this: in June of 1998, the summer before my senior year of high school, I saw Pearl Jam in concert for the first time. One of Matt Cameron's first shows on drums, in fact. And a friend of mine was at the show separately, watching with his other friend. After that show, we started talking about how awesome the show was. Apparently, the two of them had started playing music together in the basement, and they asked if I would come by and jam sometime. I did. Those guys became my first band, and created the whole entire path I spent the next 15 years following. There is little doubt in my mind that I wouldn't be playing music anymore, and never would have gone as far as I have, if it weren't for that Pearl Jam concert in 1998.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    "Bass solo take one..." even though it was a bass solo it inspired me to play.

• Options
    My story is semi on the same plane as MIG. Growing up I never knew what music even was other then country music on the AM radio that my parents listened too. In grade school I did listen to some Rock type music that was around that my brother and sister listened too. Bon Jovi etc.. (LOL). But music was never a big deal to me. I then started high school and became friends with these guys, that listed to music like Fugazi, Alice In Chains, Nirvana The Ramones, Dead Milkmen etc. All this new stuff that I never heard in my life that was nothing like I heard before. One of the guys worked at a record store, and let me borrow "Ten", and my mind was blown. That Summer I got my first job at the local zoo. I worked with a bunch of college kids there, and one of the guys that I befriended, was a guitar player. And that simply just amazed me. He listened to all the stuff I was just introduced to during the school year, but listened to even more stuff that I never really heard before. Bands like Big Head Todd and the Monsters, Stevie Ray Vaughn etc. He was the first person that really started to make me want to try to play. The job was only seasonal so come winter I was laid off. So I got a job at the local McD's. There it seemed like every kid working there was in a band, or played guitar or bass. That's where I met the guy that sort of pushed me to take the next step. I convinced myself that I couldn't play guitar because of the size of my hands (tiny)... very stupid thought. So I went with him bought a bass and amp. I tried to take lessons but quit. Board the hell out of me. So my buddy said screw it lets start jamming together. I learned more from those sessions then any lesson taught me. Sure it started out with him going "here play this note, then this note this this note, that's the verse. Then for the chorus play this and this". Within a few months I was adding my own walks to each note etc... Never looked back.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    xtremehardy388xtremehardy388 Posts: 2,759
    I love all these stories. @All Those Yesterdays --I had the same problem---small hands. But the guys who introduced me to guitar kept me going and I learned so much from playing with other people than I did from any lesson. I play by ear and can't really read music (same with piano and trumpet). Those guys and the wonderful people on this board have helped me so much. i was "that guy", in 2006, and my first post was about pedal placement (which later led to the sticky at the top of the forum). I've gotten so much help on music and life, on here. Big ups to PJ_Gurl (I haven't spoken to her in years) for helping me, too.
  • Options

I love all these stories. @All Those Yesterdays --I had the same problem---small hands. But the guys who introduced me to guitar kept me going and I learned so much from playing with other people than I did from any lesson. I play by ear and can't really read music (same with piano and trumpet). Those guys and the wonderful people on this board have helped me so much. i was "that guy", in 2006, and my first post was about pedal placement (which later led to the sticky at the top of the forum). I've gotten so much help on music and life, on here. Big ups to PJ_Gurl (I haven't spoken to her in years) for helping me, too.

Yea the stupid mental self pitty of small hands. Then I start to learn guitar, and still thought my issues were small hands. Turns out it was just determination. LOL....
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
    Mike McCready's Yellow Ledbetter solo on the Live at the Garden DVD.
    2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
    2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
    2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Pearl Jam, Zeppelin, Petty
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:

Pearl Jam, Zeppelin, Petty

Solid.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    FrankieG said:

Mike McCready's Yellow Ledbetter solo on the Live at the Garden DVD.

That intro to led. I cannot even count how many times I've said "I wish I could play that".

There is just something about the way Mike does what Mike does.

I've been trying to learn guitar since hmmm January 2013. I've maybe gotten to touch my guitar 2-3 x's this year. Just like any other parent my hobby is last with youngsters around. Some day I will get my turn.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    What is meant by small hands? Short fingers?? And how did we overcome these small hands? Lots of practice?
  • Options
    FoxyRedLa said:

What is meant by small hands? Short fingers?? And how did we overcome these small hands? Lots of practice?

Small hands/fingers make is hard to stretch and bar chords. I learned with my thumb (big no no). Practice and learning to play chords different ways helped me.
  • Options
    Hard to stretch I get that!! Ok. Once I get my fingers stronger I will look at alternatives too. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I have small-ish hands, or maybe my fingers aren't super long. I simply don't play chords that require too much stretch. Additionally, I only augment chords in places I can reach. Injury not worth it. I hurt my pinky playing too aggressively once and was out of action for about 6 months. Then my wife broke my middle finger throwing a laser beam at me in the end zone in flag football. Caught the ball, won the game, but tacked on another 6 months of not playing. : (
    So, I find ways to play chords that suit my hands and dexterity.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    On a somewhat slightly unrelated note. Why the hell don't people hurt there fingers and toes more often? They are so damn vulnerable.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

I have small-ish hands, or maybe my fingers aren't super long. I simply don't play chords that require too much stretch. Additionally, I only augment chords in places I can reach. Injury not worth it. I hurt my pinky playing too aggressively once and was out of action for about 6 months. Then my wife broke my middle finger throwing a laser beam at me in the end zone in flag football. Caught the ball, won the game, but tacked on another 6 months of not playing. : (

Your wife sounds like Stafford and you sound like Johnson...or, since you broke your finger, maybe Charlie Batch.I'm a diehard Lions fan. Forgive me. And i hurt my fingers on a daily basis, thanks to my job. I've broken all of them at least once, from wrestling, too. I'm surprised I still have them
  • Options

Your wife sounds like Stafford and you sound like Johnson...or, since you broke your finger, maybe Charlie Batch.I'm a diehard Lions fan. Forgive me. And i hurt my fingers on a daily basis, thanks to my job. I've broken all of them at least once, from wrestling, too. I'm surprised I still have them
    Haha! It's good that you can joke about your fave team!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Bumfuq, MT Posts: 6,395

On a somewhat slightly unrelated note. Why the hell don't people hurt there fingers and toes more often? They are so damn vulnerable.

If it makes you feel better, I cut three fingers off my right hand in a table saw accident many years ago. Totally can't play melody on a piano anymore, and fingerpicking is a challenge.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Options

This makes sense. If I can't make a chord or am struggling I could try an alternate. However, I definitely have to build up to bar chords. Keeps my hope alive. Thanks for the tips guys.
  • Options
    Keep us posted!
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    edited August 2015
    I grew up hearing Dylan, the Beatles, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Pink Floyd etc.... When I was 12, I used the money I earned from mowing lawns to buy "Ten", thus marking my introduction to curating my own music collection. I had already been a fan of great rock and roll for years, thanks to my Dad. When I was 15, he took me to see the Grateful Dead and that was when I realized that I wanted to play. I bought a guitar and started my first band that summer.

Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,591
    When my friend from college showed me how to play using tabs for Alive from altpearljamtabs.net back in 1994, early days of the internet. I was blown away to be playing that opening riff.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    i was lucky enough to have cool mom. she got me into elvis, the beatles, the beach boys, old motown like the supremes. i remember being a 5 year old and trying to mimic guitar strumming that i had seen on the dukes of hazard opening sequence. i used to listen to my mom's records all the time. even the little 45s. i remember playing jailhouse rock for ours on end, back to back to back. my mom would say "FOR FUCKS SAKES, WILL YOU PLEEEEEASE TURN OVER THAT RECORD AND LISTEN TO SOMETHING ELSE?!?!?!?!

fast forward to 1992. i first heard smells like teen spirit on a "smash or trash" segment on local radio. it was like 10 pm so i was listening on my headphones. i was not sure of what i had just heard, all i knew is i wanted to play the guitar like i heard in that song. not too long after that i heard alive at a friend's house. it was then i knew i was going to be a guitar player. i bought my first guitar 8 months later.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

i was lucky enough to have cool mom. she got me into elvis, the beatles, the beach boys, old motown like the supremes. i remember being a 5 year old and trying to mimic guitar strumming that i had seen on the dukes of hazard opening sequence. i used to listen to my mom's records all the time. even the little 45s. i remember playing jailhouse rock for ours on end, back to back to back. my mom would say "FOR FUCKS SAKES, WILL YOU PLEEEEEASE TURN OVER THAT RECORD AND LISTEN TO SOMETHING ELSE?!?!?!?!

fast forward to 1992. i first heard smells like teen spirit on a "smash or trash" segment on local radio. it was like 10 pm so i was listening on my headphones. i was not sure of what i had just heard, all i knew is i wanted to play the guitar like i heard in that song. not too long after that i heard alive at a friend's house. it was then i knew i was going to be a guitar player. i bought my first guitar 8 months later.

Cool to see another person from St.Louis on here!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,493
    For all the bashing that the music video games got, it was Rock Band that made me want to learn the drums. I borrowed a set for a friend, took some lessons and loved it. I'm still very much a beginner, but I love it when I get some time to play.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157

we have been on these boards for how many years and did not realize that? cool, there aren't too many of us on here. gotta represent :)
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

we have been on these boards for how many years and did not realize that? cool, there aren't too many of us on here. gotta represent :)
    It's true! Hey, by the way, I"m a big fan of what you do on guitar!
    www.cluthelee.com