9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My bad, it is allegedly his Facebook photo, in which he is mean mugging with a jacket featuring patches of the Flags of aparteid era South Africa and Zimbabwe (formerly Rhodesia).
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    This is it here...

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Thanks for updates, Last-12. Must be a very heavy scene in your town right now.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    that kid just looks angry. i remember my 21st birthday. I got a muffin.
  • Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    Honestly, I was hoping for this kid to just be killed. We don't need a trial. We know why he did it. He let 3 people live to tell the story. He's not worth the resources. Instead, this kid will live another 20 years before he sees the lethal injection bed or hopefully the electric chair. I only hope that his jail cell has no A/C. It's well over 100 degrees down here for the next week. Let this fucker suffer.
    did i read wrong or did he have a criminal record?
    fife said:

Yes, from what I've seen, he's been arrested before for drugs.
  • dignin said:

Reuters reported that Carson Cowles, the uncle of Dylann Roof, said he recognized his nephew from photos released by police. Roof also received a .45-calibre pistol from his father as a birthday present in April, Cowles said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/dylann-storm-roof-sought-by-police-after-charleston-black-church-shooting-kills-9-1.3118131

Champions of the year!
    "My brain's a good brain!"

fife said:

Yes, from what I've seen, he's been arrested before for drugs.
    i wonder where his family is. anyway, don't want to talk about this kid anymore. lets hope that the families of the dead feel some onfort knowing that this person will fae a juror and will be in jail for the rest of his life. i wonder where his family is.
  • fife said:

Kid looks like a dork. No wonder he's angry. Parents bought him a handgun when they should have got him a haircut.

(sorry... I realize this comment isn't helpful at all, but this little rodent has the best of me right now).
    "My brain's a good brain!"

fife said:

Kid looks like a dork. No wonder he's angry. Parents bought him a handgun when they should have got him a haircut.

(sorry... I realize this comment isn't helpful at all, but this little rodent has the best of me right now).
    i think we should insult him. that was the type of haircut i had when my parents still had power to make me ut my hair how they wanted. of course i was 7 at that time.

i just hope that people do remain calm. i am still wondering where his parents are? they have not said anything.
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    The Johnny Ramone style
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Horrible tragedy. Thoughts and prayers to the victims and their families.

I live in the Columbia area, where the killer is from, and police were out in full force this morning in the area that he lived. I figured he was long gone out of the state, but still glad to see our local LE do everything they could to try and find this guy.

Apparently, someone in Shelby, NC recognized the front vanity plate and informed police there. Goes to show how even a trivial thing like that can be very useful in catching criminals.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Last-12-Exit, glad you are safe. Columbia is pretty shell-shocked with this. I can't even begin to imagine how Charleston is today.
    This fuckin punk didn't have the balls to shoot himself in the mouth. You know he thought about it all day. This punk is nothing more than a coward. Fuck you. I really wish you dead right now.
    edited June 2015
    "This kind of violence DOES NOT HAPPEN in other advanced countries."

My 180° is pretty much complete on the gun issue.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Obama: "At some point we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence doesn’t happen in other countries."
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    fife said:
    Hey now, I love the stooges

"This kind of violence DOES NOT HAPPEN in other advanced countries."

My 180° is pretty much complete on the gun issue.

we just wish that it doesn't take more things like this to happen before your nation has a real discussion about guns. mental health, racism and violence in general

i have a feeling we are going to hear alot of but the warning signs that were missed with this guy.

stay safe
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    rgambs said:
    He totally looks like he would do this kind of thing. It's written all over his face in that photo... which is weird.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited June 2015

This fuckin punk didn't have the balls to shoot himself in the mouth. You know he thought about it all day. This punk is nothing more than a coward. Fuck you. I really wish you dead right now.

I actually like to know he's alive... I can't imagine his time in prison will be pleasant, considering his crime, the population stats in US prisons, and the level of his dorkiness.

This is such a disgusting crime; thank goodness he's caught. This must be so horrible for the members of that Church in particular (and obviously the victims' families).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388

He's the product of his environment. It's the environment we need to crucify. Not cutting him slack but goes way beyond this little prick.

Sitting having lunch with black women in lunch room. They are visibly upset. Want to say "we aren't all like this".
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • InHiding80InHiding80 Upland,CA Posts: 7,623
    edited June 2015
    badbrains said:

callen said:

Be interesting to find out this guys background and "table talk" he heard while growing up.

Maybe his parents should of let him wear that dress.

I'm waiting for the hannity or o'riley "hey, it's Ramadan, and this shooter is a Muslim" rant.
    Already there are people on IMDB Politics forums calling him a "lib" imagining that the blacks were one of them like Ben Carson. They'll NEVER admit to being right. They cut their nose off to spite their face. Pathetic.

If the POTUS were gunned down, they'd blame "libs." That's how stupid and cog dis they are.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I don’t need to be constrained about the emotions that tragedies like this raise. I’ve had to make statements like this too many times. Communities like this have had to endure tragedies like this too many times. We don’t have all the facts, but we do know that once again, innocent people were killed in part because someone who wanted to inflict harm had no trouble getting their hands on a gun.

Now is the time for mourning and for healing. But let’s be clear: at some point we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries. It doesn’t happen in other places with this kind of frequency. And it is in our power to do something about it. I say that recognizing the politics in this town foreclose a lot of those avenues right now. But it would be wrong for us not to acknowledge it. And at some point its going to be important for the American people to come to grips with it, and for us to be able to shift how we think about the issue of gun violence collectively.

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524

badbrains said:

callen said:

Be interesting to find out this guys background and "table talk" he heard while growing up.

Maybe his parents should of let him wear that dress.

I'm waiting for the hannity or o'riley "hey, it's Ramadan, and this shooter is a Muslim" rant.
    Already there are people on IMDB Politics forums calling him a "lib" imagining that the blacks were one of them like Ben Carson. They'll NEVER admit to being right. They cut their nose off to spite their face. Pathetic.

If the POTUS were gunned down, they'd blame "libs." That's how stupid and cog dis they are.
    No.....they'd still blame Obama
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388

I don’t need to be constrained about the emotions that tragedies like this raise. I’ve had to make statements like this too many times. Communities like this have had to endure tragedies like this too many times. We don’t have all the facts, but we do know that once again, innocent people were killed in part because someone who wanted to inflict harm had no trouble getting their hands on a gun.

Now is the time for mourning and for healing. But let’s be clear: at some point we as a country will have to reckon with the fact that this type of mass violence does not happen in other advanced countries. It doesn’t happen in other places with this kind of frequency. And it is in our power to do something about it. I say that recognizing the politics in this town foreclose a lot of those avenues right now. But it would be wrong for us not to acknowledge it. And at some point its going to be important for the American people to come to grips with it, and for us to be able to shift how we think about the issue of gun violence collectively.

Sad sad sad.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    I want to know if the person who took the pictures this guy posted on adbook has been looked into and spoken with.

Very likely person had knowledge of intention or at a minimum holds similar views.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14