Options

9 Dead in Shooting at Black Church in SC

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    I wish I knew the answer to that. Where this kind of hate comes from is beyond me. And the shooter is still loose.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    rr165892rr165892 Posts: 5,697
    A local reporter here in South Florida has been to that church and lived in Charleston.She said the shooting is on the same date that 9 fire fighters died some years ago in a big fire in Charleston.9 dead last night ?Shes speculating of course but it's an interesting twist that may lead to some kind of motive maybe.Worth keeping in mind anyway.
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    The hate that breeds down here is just sickening. They have this guys picture already released to the public. I doubt he's living much longer.
  • Options
    Today is the 8th anniversary of the Charleston 9 fire. The shooting occurred last night around 9pm.
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    Unreal
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Sickening.

• Options
    They know he's 21 years old but can't announce his name to us all?
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    And some equate violence to African Americans and have this fked up thought that whites are somehow better.

Racism creates this. On both sides. Be part of the solution not the problem.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Be interesting to find out this guys background and "table talk" he heard while growing up.

Maybe his parents should of let him wear that dress.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    badbrains said:

They know he's 21 years old but can't announce his name to us all?

Part of strategy of finding him.
  • Options
    callen said:

Be interesting to find out this guys background and "table talk" he heard while growing up.

Maybe his parents should of let him wear that dress.

I'm waiting for the hannity or o'riley "hey, it's Ramadan, and this shooter is a Muslim" rant.
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I am just waiting for someone (not meaning here) who will say that if only the priest had a gun this would never have happen.

hey last 12, can you talk more about you were saying about the hate down there. I am going to plead ignorance
  • Options
    More guns isn't the solution?

Sarcasm
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    We called the Aurora movie theater shooting the work of a crazy man. We called the marathon bombing terrorism. We'll call this one a hate crime. All three terms are accurate...but all three acts are also the work of crazy men. Crazy, hate-filled men. With too easy access to weapons and even easier access to victims. Just sickening.
    Post edited by JimmyV on

• Options
    This is the deep south. This is a state that up until just a few years ago flew the Confederate flag on top of the Capitol building in columbia. I see racism all the time and I'm white. My work had 4 job openings and I was talking to my boss about who I would recommend. When I told him, he said "I'm not hiring 3 of them." To which I replied "why the fuck not?"

It's everywhere.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Well-said, Jimmy.

Last-12, there must be a pall over your city this morning. Good thoughts from here.
  • Options

This is the deep south. This is a state that up until just a few years ago flew the Confederate flag on top of the Capitol building in columbia. I see racism all the time and I'm white. My work had 4 job openings and I was talking to my boss about who I would recommend. When I told him, he said "I'm not hiring 3 of them." To which I replied "why the fuck not?"

It's everywhere.

thanks, to be honest, i never thought of SC as deep south but i understand that in reality it is. sounds like you have a great boss (as long as you are white)

how is the mood there right now?
  • Options
    fife said:

It's everywhere.

thanks, to be honest, i never thought of SC as deep south but i understand that in reality it is. sounds like you have a great boss (as long as you are white)

how is the mood there right now?
    Charleston mayor Joe Riley said this morning something to the effect of "this community will heal these families. We've done it before." Referring to the Charleston 9 back in 2007. He's 100% correct. People are in mourning and in shock. My wife's facebook feed is filled with this guys pictures and prayers. These families will have EVERYTHING they want for the next 2-3 months. Hundreds of thousands of dollars will be donated. Thousands of man hours will be volunteered.

Most of all, the general feeling I get is that people are pissed. This stuff shouldn't happen.
  • Options
    I am glad that atleast the community will rally to these families.

I am surprised that the police have not released his name since they have his license plate. i sense this will end with a suicide by cop
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    My sense is that the cops know A LOT more than they are leading on. I'm guessing they know who this guy is. It's just a matter of finding him. I wouldn't be surprised if he's put a bullet in his mouth by now.
    Post edited by Last-12-Exit on
  • Options
    Dylan Roof from Lexington, SC is the suspect. He will be caught shortly. This dude has zero chance.
  • Options
    fife said:

I am just waiting for someone (not meaning here) who will say that if only the priest had a gun this would never have happen.

hey last 12, can you talk more about you were saying about the hate down there. I am going to plead ignorance

The gun debate has been over for a long time in my mind. The side for reform has won the 'debate' in most convincing fashion; however, the side that foolishly denies the correlation between gun deaths and gun ownership still prevails- no will on the part of leadership to upset the herd.

Like all, I don't know the details, but I grow weary thinking of how people get to the point in their life where they feel they need to go do something like this. Were things really that bad? Where is our resilience? When we are troubled, why do some lash out instead of working through their troubles?

Messed up, man. Messed up.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    i just hope that the media really talks less about this Dylan person and more about the victims but I am sure that will not happen. can't wait to see all these doctors on TV talking about what could have brought this kid to do this ( I know he was 21 but I still think that he is a kid)
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Reuters reported that Carson Cowles, the uncle of Dylann Roof, said he recognized his nephew from photos released by police. Roof also received a .45-calibre pistol from his father as a birthday present in April, Cowles said.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/dylann-storm-roof-sought-by-police-after-charleston-black-church-shooting-kills-9-1.3118131
  • Options
    Mug shot...

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    Reporting now that he's been caught
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Charlotte police have him. Charlotte is about 4 hours or so from charleston.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,779
    Was given the weapon as a 21st birthday gift.

Another blood sacrifice for liberty.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14