Options

Silverchair's Daniel Johns 'Wanted To Sing Less Like Eddie Vedder'

Comments

• Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    edited June 2015
    daniel johns is a monster. diorama and young modern are still two of my favorite albums -- never heard anything like them before and never heard anything like them since. those two albums still hold up incredibly well. wish silverchair was still making music, but i can see how daniel got a little burnt out on that whole scene being he wrote all but four or five silverchair songs (music and lyrics). lots of demand on him, and the last two albums were really pretty complex. took a long, long break and reinvented himself. respect!

that being said, i don't think he ever sounded like EV. i think it's just a blanket statement regarding that 90's sound and wanting to back away from it.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,143
    edited June 2015
    I put Frogstomp away for a long time, and a few years ago I went hiking with a few friends. One showed up with Frogstomp cranked out on his radio. I dusted off the CD and have listened to it a number of times over the past few years. I still can't believe it was recorded by 15 year olds. Great CD. I saw them play live once at Edgefest ('97?) but by then there seemed to be a lot of people crapping on Silverchair. Good set, but mean crowd.

Funny thing is people always crapped on him for emulating Kurt Cobain (which he really didn't sound like, but I guess he had the long blond hair). I never really thought he sounded like Eddie... I guess you never know what's going on in someone's head :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    scott nowlandscott nowland Australia Posts: 247
    http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/watch-daniel-johns-cover-nirvanas-smells-like-teen-spirit-at-triple-js-beat-the-drum/
    silverchair were a great band pre young modern. That was just weird. Since then he hasnt been trying to sing like eddier vedder moreso aten year old girl who cant quite hit the high notes. Not even going to bother listening to his solo stuff. If anyone wants a laugh watch the link of him covering smells like teen spirirt
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    I was really into them for a while in the late nineties/early 2000s. Like REALLY into them. I liked diorama but it had to grow on me. Then I forgot they existed. I must listen to this "young modern". This is the first I've heard of it.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    Zod said:

I put Frogstomp away for a long time, and a few years ago I went hiking with a few friends. One showed up with Frogstomp cranked out on his radio. I dusted off the CD and have listened to it a number of times over the past few years. I still can't believe it was recorded by 15 year olds. Great CD. I saw them play live once at Edgefest ('97?) but by then there seemed to be a lot of people crapping on Silverchair. Good set, but mean crowd.

Funny thing is people always crapped on him for emulating Kurt Cobain (which he really didn't sound like, but I guess he had the long blond hair). I never really thought he sounded like Eddie... I guess you never know what's going on in someone's head :)

that all seemed to start with Courtney Love calling him out on trying to copy Kurt, which I didn't think he did at all. the similarities ended at their looks and the 3 piece nature of their bands. Silverchair was more metal and Nirvana was more punk.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ldent42 said:

I was really into them for a while in the late nineties/early 2000s. Like REALLY into them. I liked diorama but it had to grow on me. Then I forgot they existed. I must listen to this "young modern". This is the first I've heard of it.

they (or their record company) also released in the last few years a few different versions of a greatest hits/b-sides package. one was a single disc, one was a two disc, one was a two cd and one dvd set I think.

I loved Frogstomp, but when Anthem for the Year 2000 came out, I hated it, and subsequently stopped listening them altogether. Saw them at Edgefest as well, and they were really good.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    I thought Diorama was brilliant. Some giant leaps on that album from their previous album. Across the Night and Tuna in the Brine are simply genius.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I really want to like the Teen Spirit cover, but I feel like he overdoes his own shtick. It's an excellent take on the song, I just think he needs to not embellish himself.

And I never thought he sounded like Vedder, Cobain, Weiland, or any of those guys. Loved Silverchair up to and including Neon Ballroom. Freak Show is by far my fave of the first three. Maybe I'll revisit Diorama, but you can have Young Modern. Straight Lines & Low are decent tunes, but that album is hard to stomach. Really wish Daniel would quit being such a twat about early Silverchair. He's a talented musician & songwriter, but his holier-than-thou attitude has gotten the best of him.
  • Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,707
    ldent42 said:

i wouldn't bother tbh
  • Options
    Silverchair were solid until Daniel moved the direction too far away from what made them loved. I never understood him hating their early stuff so much, all seemed too pretentious and a shame in that those records brought him fame and fans. But this 'I want to be an artist of complex song writing' bollocks and the denouncing of their earlier sound was a bit bizarre.

Those early records were incredible, everything up young modern was top notch, perhaps the collab with paul mac was the nail in the coffin so to speak. The dissociatives record was interesting enough but largely an experimental mess.....I didn't understand that, but it was a sight better than the absolute rubbish hes just put out there as a solo artist. But respect to the dude doing what he wants to do, its just amazing that when going so far from your known sound to then try and use your old band name and website to promote the solo stuff....perhaps there was a realisation it wasn't good enough to stand on its own two feet. Theres only so much bland soulless radio pap the world can take right?
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

Silverchair were solid until Daniel moved the direction too far away from what made them loved. I never understood him hating their early stuff so much, all seemed too pretentious and a shame in that those records brought him fame and fans. But this 'I want to be an artist of complex song writing' bollocks and the denouncing of their earlier sound was a bit bizarre.

Those early records were incredible, everything up young modern was top notch, perhaps the collab with paul mac was the nail in the coffin so to speak. The dissociatives record was interesting enough but largely an experimental mess.....I didn't understand that, but it was a sight better than the absolute rubbish hes just put out there as a solo artist. But respect to the dude doing what he wants to do, its just amazing that when going so far from your known sound to then try and use your old band name and website to promote the solo stuff....perhaps there was a realisation it wasn't good enough to stand on its own two feet. Theres only so much bland soulless radio pap the world can take right?

I think one reprieve we can give him is that he wrote the songs for the first couple records in his EARLY TEENS. your musical tastes often change drastically from that age. if I still wrote songs like the ones I was influenced by in my early teens, I'd be writing Motley Crue and Poison records. LOL.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    pdalowsky said:

Silverchair were solid until Daniel moved the direction too far away from what made them loved.

this is an interesting statement coming from a pearl jam fan. what do you think of the people who criticize pearl jam for drastically changing their sound and direction after vitalogy? you would make the same arguments for pearl jam that would absolutely apply to silverchair. and i don't think they hated their early stuff as much as you make it seem. they were still playing their hits off frogstomp & freak show during the young modern tour.

van dyke parks said daniel johns was one of the most talented musicians he ever worked with. i don't think daniel went in the "complex song writing direction" to be bizarre or different. he did it because he could fuckin' do it.

early 20's and the guy wrote diorama? incredible. and give young modern another listen or two... many, many layers to every song on that album that you might not have scratched yet.

• Options
    rival. said:

pdalowsky said:

Silverchair were solid until Daniel moved the direction too far away from what made them loved.

this is an interesting statement coming from a pearl jam fan. what do you think of the people who criticize pearl jam for drastically changing their sound and direction after vitalogy? you would make the same arguments for pearl jam that would absolutely apply to silverchair. and i don't think they hated their early stuff as much as you make it seem. they were still playing their hits off frogstomp & freak show during the young modern tour.

van dyke parks said daniel johns was one of the most talented musicians he ever worked with. i don't think daniel went in the "complex song writing direction" to be bizarre or different. he did it because he could fuckin' do it.

early 20's and the guy wrote diorama? incredible. and give young modern another listen or two... many, many layers to every song on that album that you might not have scratched yet.

to be fair, the change of sound that pearl jam made was not nearly as drastic as silverchair.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rival. said:

pdalowsky said:

I went to the young modern tour, and there wasn't a single track played off frogstomp, except they started pure massacre - and after 15 seconds stopped with Daniel saying 'as if' much to the huge groans of the crowd. Saw them in 1999 and they were unstoppable, absolutely tremendous to watch.

Did I mention Im a big Schair fan by the way. I think he is a huge talent no doubt, which is a shame because I cant help but think with the latest stuff that talent is being fed to the toilet. maybe its just not my cup of tea......that is entirely possible
  • Options

rival. said:

pdalowsky said:

to be fair, the change of sound that pearl jam made was not nearly as drastic as silverchair.

Indeed Hugh, I don't think PJ have ever really left their sound on any album, maybe different influences here and there but Silverchair absolutely changed direction. There is of course no problem with that, many bands do, but for me hearing some of the comments made about the early stuff its almost like hes embarrassed to have made it. I find that strange
  • Options
    rival. said:

pdalowsky said:

BTW you sound like a dedicated fan of Silverchair, I never picked up the across the night dvd set, was it worthy? Im toying with the idea if getting it at some point
  • Options
    mrluthor9mrluthor9 Posts: 264
    Love me some Silverchair... Freakshow, Frogstomp and Neon Ballroom are all great albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNK_r2QAXAo
    All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives,.....choosing the shiny ones instead,......
  • Options
    pdalowsky said:

rival. said:

pdalowsky said:

BTW you sound like a dedicated fan of Silverchair, I never picked up the across the night dvd set, was it worthy? Im toying with the idea if getting it at some point
    very worthy. you should be able to grab a used copy off amazon for under $10.

there is also a documentary that aired in 2007 where the band revisits diorama and the band's mental state at that time. i do not believe it was ever released on dvd, but was aired on some australian TV channel. it is available on youtube and split into 6 or 7 parts (probably has a total run time of about an hour). i would check that out when you have the 60 minutes and interest.
  • Options
    i am still trying to fully digest his new solo stuff (don't hate it by any means) he released a four song EP about two months ago, where two of those four songs made it on his solo album. i think i appreciate the EP more than the full album just because it's a smaller dose. but the full album does have some interesting tracks ('we are golden' jumps out at me and might be the strongest).

• Options
    rival. said:

i am still trying to fully digest his new solo stuff (don't hate it by any means) he released a four song EP about two months ago, where two of those four songs made it on his solo album. i think i appreciate the EP more than the full album just because it's a smaller dose. but the full album does have some interesting tracks ('we are golden' jumps out at me and might be the strongest).

I listened to all of about 5 seconds of one track of his new solo stuff (some video where he is shirtless in a shower or something?) and nearly barfed and shut it off.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rival. said:

pdalowsky said:

rival. said:

pdalowsky said:

very worthy. you should be able to grab a used copy off amazon for under $10.

there is also a documentary that aired in 2007 where the band revisits diorama and the band's mental state at that time. i do not believe it was ever released on dvd, but was aired on some australian TV channel. it is available on youtube and split into 6 or 7 parts (probably has a total run time of about an hour). i would check that out when you have the 60 minutes and interest.
    Damn I got the title wrong .. Sorry - I meant the great divide set with powerfinger... I have the live at faraway set which is excellent

Only heard the first few EP tracks and I found it depressingly poor. Especially the lead single which was possibly the worst track I heard this year but if that's not indicative of the rest I'll go and dig it out I think
  • Options
    Oh boy i tried that track - I think I need to stay away ... Can't get on with the new high pitch vocals or the Justin Timberlake style rnb theme at all. It's a shame as I want to like it .... Like if Stipe released a solo project - I'd really want to love it ....
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,874
    saw silver chair in 95/96 at rose land, nyc. and it was one of the best shows i ever saw! loved frog stomp but never went any further into their catalog....what would be the next album to get into?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    mcgruff10 said:

saw silver chair in 95/96 at rose land, nyc. and it was one of the best shows i ever saw! loved frog stomp but never went any further into their catalog....what would be the next album to get into?

Freak Show
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    mcgruff10 said:

It's not a matter of what is their best album next but their whole catalog has become an evolution of a bands sound. By the time Neon Ballroom comes around you are amazed at the directional change, than you wonder how Diorama can shit on all their previous work. By the time you get to YM you wonder if this is even the same band (in a good way).
  • Options
    Last-12-ExitLast-12-Exit Charleston, SC Posts: 8,661
    I liked the song tomorrow. That cd was pretty good. But this band didn't have the chops to stick it out over the long haul in my opinion.
  • Options
    pljampljam Posts: 387
    I can't hear Ed in Johns vocals at all but I certainly hear and believe he mirrored Kurt,absolute vocal clone
  • Options
    Champagne BreakfastChampagne Breakfast Posts: 1,526
    edited June 2015
    Frogstomp is now 20 years old! 20 years of Silverchair feature here...
    http://www.alternativenation.net/reflections-of-a-sound-20-years-silverchair/
    Post edited by Champagne Breakfast on
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • Options
    ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    I honestly can't get into "Frogstomp" or "Freak Show" as collective albums. There are some great songs, but they don't have that album feel that you get with Neon Ballroom or Diorama.
    Emotion Sickness and Across The Night as back to back album openers is so impressive. Diorama is just brilliant. A truly brilliant album. To me, it's the "Pet Sounds" of my generation, except people here don't know shit about it. Luv Your Life would be the God Only Knows. It's just amazing. The vinyl pressings go for ridiculous money. I'd sell my soul to hear that album on a great stereo.
    Young Modern is...meh. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't make it through half the record. The b-sides are pretty solid though. Same for Diorama. Asylum is one of the best b-sides of all time. It's so beautiful.
    The new album is really growing on me. Fast. Dissolve is a hit in a perfect world. Great song.
  • Options

I honestly can't get into "Frogstomp" or "Freak Show" as collective albums. There are some great songs, but they don't have that album feel that you get with Neon Ballroom or Diorama.
    Emotion Sickness and Across The Night as back to back album openers is so impressive. Diorama is just brilliant. A truly brilliant album. To me, it's the "Pet Sounds" of my generation, except people here don't know shit about it. Luv Your Life would be the God Only Knows. It's just amazing. The vinyl pressings go for ridiculous money. I'd sell my soul to hear that album on a great stereo.
    Young Modern is...meh. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't make it through half the record. The b-sides are pretty solid though. Same for Diorama. Asylum is one of the best b-sides of all time. It's so beautiful.
    The new album is really growing on me. Fast. Dissolve is a hit in a perfect world. Great song.

well said about diorama. the band rereleased all of their vinyls (except for young modern) within the past year. you can get a copy of diorama on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Diorama-SILVERCHAIR/dp/B00JEPT53A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433774944&sr=8-1&keywords=diorama+vinyl