Options

Please donate to cancer research as I race from Base 2 Space

RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013
edited September 2015 in All Encompassing Trip
Hi All!

I am participating in a cancer fundraising 'walk' of sorts, and am looking for donations.

On October 3rd for the first time in Space Needle history (53 years), they are opening the stairways for the first ever 'Base 2 Space' public stair climb. I will climb 848 stairs, up 52 stories, to the observation deck 520 feet above ground. I must be nuts as I have a fear of heights, but the money I am collecting will go directly to Fred Hutchinson Cancer research. The top 10 fundraisers will get to come back at a later date and 'walk the halo' of the Needle...I would love to do this, it might help me get rid of my fear of heights. I've set my goal pretty high...$2500, I think I can do it.

Why am I doing this? My uncle passed from stomach cancer in 2001, his wife passed of breast cancer 10 years later after a long battle-she actually gave up her fight when it came back for a 3rd time...I feel for my cousins, I could not imagine losing both parents to cancer within 10 years. My sister in law was just recently diagnosed with an aggressive form of breast cancer and has started her fight. I'm doing this for some certain people here that have fought the battle with cancer...yes, I'm looking at you Mr. Crocs!

DONATIONS
If you'd like to make a donation directly, please visit my fundraising page: https://www.classy.org/fundraise?fcid=465904
Your donation is 100% TAX DEDUCTIBLE! You will receive a receipt via email from the website.

I am also accepting raffle donations...please PM me!

»»»»»»RAFFLE««««««
$5 per entry, 5 entries for $20
When making a donation, please email me a copy of your receipt, PM me for the address.
BONUS!For every $30 donation, you will get 5 raffle entries and a dog tag style necklace engraved with a loved one's name. I will wear the necklace during my climb, and mail you back the necklace after the event. Just let me know if you would like a necklace and send me a copy of your donation receipt, or indicate it with your mailed in donation.
(I am still sourcing out necklaces)

CUTOFF DATE FOR GETTING A NECKLACE IS SEPTEMBER 15, 2015!

PRIZES:

1). Pearl Jam Poster- Hyde Park June 25, 2010 http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/123335
2). Pearl Jam sticker and guitar pic set-includes: 1-Eddie Vedder guitar pick, 2- Mike McCready Hockey Talkter guitar picks (one black, one white), 1-Mike McCready Flight to Mars guitar pick. Assorted Pearl Jam sticker set: Winner will receive stickers pictured. additional picks and stickers donated by monkeewrench

3) Pearl Jam Poster- Charlottesville November 1, 2013 http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/180037 donated by Amongst the Ani
4) Mike McCready Free Ride 7"-never played donated by Amongst the Ani
5) Mad Season Locomotive 7"-never played donated by Amongst the Ani
6) Eddie Vedder Poster- Summer Tour 2009 http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/104750 donated by imalive
7) Pearl Jam Auckland 2014 BDO Bootleg from the box set "Silver Pressed" donated by Ident42
8) Pearl Jam Poster-ACL Zilker Park October 4, 2009 http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/111156 PLUS! an autographed copy of the book Expecting by A. Hamilton donated by Enkidu
9) Pearl Jam holiday single set-up Devil Doll/Better Days 2011, Turning Mist/Hawaii '78 2009-autographed by Mike McCready.

10) Music for Film Box set #378 feat. Mike McCready- SEALED

donated by monkeewrench
11) Pearl Jam Copenhagen 2012 Maxx 242/McFarlane http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/154255 donated by monkeewrench
12) Pearl Jam Portland 2013 EMEK http://expressobeans.com/public/detail.php/181851 donated by monkeewrench
13) PJ20 vinyl BLACK-opened, excellent condition donated by PP193448
14) Pearl Jam setlist from Spokane 2013 donated by PP193448
15) Pearl Jam Poster-Toronto 2005 imagedoanted by imalive
16) Eddie Vedde Tour Poster-2009 imagedonated by imalive
17) Canvas Print of Pearl Jam Cincy photo taken by Darby Dave-donated by derbydave matching handmade stained glass photo frame included donated by deadendp (see print here: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/244883/please-donate-to-cancer-research-as-i-race-from-base-2-space#latest)
18) $50 gift card to the Pearl Jam 10c website donated by Anonymous
19) Mad Season-Live at the Moore SEALED donated by badbrains
The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
Post edited by RKCNDY on

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I will most definitely check out the link and do whatever I can to support your efforts.

My dad and WAY too many relatives and loved ones have been taken by - or are currently experiencing - this motherfucker of a disease.

Keep tooting without apologies, and rock on, sister!
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    Is it tax deductible for Candianians? Or just Americans? Not that it would keep me from donating, just curious. Or I may donate something. If so, would I just mail it to you and you'd raffle it? I guess I would mail it to the potential addressee?

Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Thank you for your support hedo! Much appreciated!

TWTM- I can certainly ask, or you can look into your tax laws about donations for non-profit organizations. :)
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    RKCNDY said:

Thank you for your support hedo! Much appreciated!

TWTM- I can certainly ask, or you can look into your tax laws about donations for non-profit organizations. :)

Oh no, I was just wondering if you knew off the top of your head. I''ll find out for myself!

Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    It might say in the link but do you know the deadline to donate? I will be happy to donate but would prefer to wait until the 15th if possible. Damn kids broke me with all the expectations of being feed and their new toy guns from Tombstone.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle
  • Options

It might say in the link but do you know the deadline to donate? I will be happy to donate but would prefer to wait until the 15th if possible. Damn kids broke me with all the expectations of being feed and their new toy guns from Tombstone.

You have until October 3rd to donate!

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Rk this is fantastic. I love the dog tag idea and would definitely jump on that option. One of my BFFs lost her mom last summer to pancreatic cancer less than 3 months after giving birth to their first child. She went from perfectly fine to unrecognizable & gone in less than 6 months. I'd like to donate some stuff to the raffle as well.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    ldent42 said:

Rk this is fantastic. I love the dog tag idea and would definitely jump on that option. One of my BFFs lost her mom last summer to pancreatic cancer less than 3 months after giving birth to their first child. She went from perfectly fine to unrecognizable & gone in less than 6 months. I'd like to donate some stuff to the raffle as well.

Yay! I tossed around the dog tag idea...I think there are machines that have an image of the Space Needle on them at the gift shop, I know you can get them engraved with a name/phrase. I will check on that in the coming weeks.
    I'm sorry to hear of your friend's loss, cancer is an ugly beast. My auntie that passed was the youngest in the family, so everybody took it pretty hard.
    Definitely PM me about raffle donations, I will be going through my own collection this weekend.

Thank you for your support!

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    If the space needle gift shop doesn't pan out, any army navy store can print them. And if you tell the owner what it's for you'll probably get a discount, maybe even a donation.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Agree. Dog tag/token is a great idea!
  • Options
    ^^^ oooh, good idea! Never thought of the army/navy surplus store! I'll have to check it out.

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    Empty GlassEmpty Glass In Rob's shed Posts: 12,329
    RKCNDY said:

Oct 3 - great!

I planned a weekend baseball trip to Pittsburgh (next weekend) the weekend before the Empty family his the Outer Banks (week after). Mrs Empty isn't happy about the cash going out the door this month.

Bump to keep on page 1
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    ldent42 said:

Yes, pancreatic cancer is a horrible one. One of our friends traveled to South America last December and had a great trip, felt a little unwell over Christmas, got diagnosed in January, and was dead by March. Such a shock for everyone who knew him. RK, I'll check this out, and good luck; sounds as if you have lots of time to train, if it is in October?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    RK, how does the donating of items for the raffle work? Would they be physically mailed to you? And what sort of items - like PJ stuff?

I know, all these questions :)
  • Options

RK, I'll check this out, and good luck; sounds as if you have lots of time to train, if it is in October?

Thank you! I hope to have a more regular schedule so I can train a bit. I've figured it's about a half a mile, but the incline is what may be a little tough. Seattle is the second hilliest city in the nation, so there are lots of stairs...everywhere. I shouldn't have a problem finding stairs to run up.

Thankfully, I get to take the elevator back down!
    hedonist said:

RK, how does the donating of items for the raffle work? Would they be physically mailed to you? And what sort of items - like PJ stuff?

Hedo, this is what I'm trying to figure out, would any of the veteran fundraising people like to chime in? I'm looking at you Rob...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    RKCNDY said:

RK, I'll check this out, and good luck; sounds as if you have lots of time to train, if it is in October?

Thank you! I hope to have a more regular schedule so I can train a bit. I've figured it's about a half a mile, but the incline is what may be a little tough. Seattle is the second hilliest city in the nation, so there are lots of stairs...everywhere. I shouldn't have a problem finding stairs to run up.

Thankfully, I get to take the elevator back down!
    hedonist said:

Hedo, this is what I'm trying to figure out, would any of the veteran fundraising people like to chime in? I'm looking at you Rob...
    What's the first? Is it Harlem? Because I really feel like it could be.

I've never run a raffle before but I've donated items before and in my experience everyone who is donating just holds on to the items until the raffle is called (as in names are picked out of hat) and the winners make their choices. Then the donate-er sends the item directly to the winner, with the raffle organizer playing middleman pm-ing shipping addresses. Saves on postage and reduces the opportunity for damage/loss during shipping.
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    RK, shoot a pm to elwayvedder. I'm sure he could fill you in on running a raffle.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,682
    Definitely happy to help, RKCNDY. Thanks for doing it cause it's close to home, close to the heart. You rock, RKCNDY! PM coming your way.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Bump before I post this thread's link to the Porch...

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,772
    I'll definitely be in on this. I also might have something for the raffle. Everybody has some sort of cancer connection it seems. I work in healthcare and recently had 7 patients at the same time (of about 13 total on my caseload) that had a diagnosis of brain cancer. Scary and weird. Usually I'll have 1-2 at a time.

I say we blow that $2500 goal right out of the park, help RK conquer that fear of heights and walk the halo. :smile:
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 New York City
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/02/18 Fenway 1 9/04/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    9/11/22 New York City
    9/14/22 Camden
  • Options

I'll definitely be in on this. I also might have something for the raffle. Everybody has some sort of cancer connection it seems. I work in healthcare and recently had 7 patients at the same time (of about 13 total on my caseload) that had a diagnosis of brain cancer. Scary and weird. Usually I'll have 1-2 at a time.

I say we blow that $2500 goal right out of the park, help RK conquer that fear of heights and walk the halo. :smile:

Don't it make me smile!
  • Options

woo hoo! Thanks for the support shetellsherself!

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,450
    I'm on this, Ms. CNDY! $$$$$ and swag to come. :smiley:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options

RKCNDY said:

Oct 3 - great!

I planned a weekend baseball trip to Pittsburgh (next weekend) the weekend before the Empty family his the Outer Banks (week after). Mrs Empty isn't happy about the cash going out the door this month.

who the hell wears the pants in your family?....oh, yeah.....right :no_mouth:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    hedonist said:

it's better for the raffle donors to keep their stuff.....RKCNDY can assign #s to raffle participants and then use a "random number generator" from the internet (or a hat)....donors and winners can then make shipping arrangements....so, if you donate, you also ship.

clear as mud?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    imalive said:

I'm on this, Ms. CNDY! $$$$$ and swag to come. :smiley:

Yay! Thanks so much Rob!

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    imalive said:

hedonist said:

it's better for the raffle donors to keep their stuff.....RKCNDY can assign #s to raffle participants and then use a "random number generator" from the internet (or a hat)....donors and winners can then make shipping arrangements....so, if you donate, you also ship.

clear as mud?
    I can't see clearly now, the mud ain't gone :whistle:

Actually I do now get the process, but still need to know about what types of raffle things?

Happy to ship :)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

imalive said:

hedonist said:

clear as mud?
    I can't see clearly now, the mud ain't gone :whistle:

Actually I do now get the process, but still need to know about what types of raffle things?

Happy to ship :)
    Here people seem to like PJ stuff. Vinyl, posters, sticker packs, pins, (i would probably stick stuff together, like say a few pins and a few stickers as a set). I'll toss in a gift card to the 10c shop. Uh, Rob? Any other ideas?

- Christopher McCandless
  • Options
    whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527
    Awesomeness!! Wish I had fine thing to
    Help out with. :-) but good luck!
    I'm with you in spirit girl!
  • Options
    Amongst the AniAmongst the Ani @Wobbie Posts: 7,790
    If you do a raffle let me know. I won a poser from the last raffle I probably wont frame. It is still in the tube and I would be happy to donate and add. Plus I have a few pieces of smaller vinyl like a Music in Film numbered edition I would be happy to add to the raffle as I am not playing them and someone else would want.
    Tom Brady & Donald Trump, BFF's
    Fuckus rules all
    Rob
    Seattle