Options

Cleveland, tell me about it

124»

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Please note that my take is purely anecdotal: I'm going by merely watching LeBron now vs. my memory of watching Jordan then.

Michael Jordan was and still is way more liked than LeBron as well. Popularity goes a long way with the folks who dole out awards. 

I never knew a single person who disliked Jordan, even when he was absolutely crushing their team, whereas the line for LeBron haters likely wraps around the globe a few times.

Stats are another story. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    dankind said:
    Please note that my take is purely anecdotal: I'm going by merely watching LeBron now vs. my memory of watching Jordan then.

Michael Jordan was and still is way more liked than LeBron as well. Popularity goes a long way with the folks who dole out awards. 

I never knew a single person who disliked Jordan, even when he was absolutely crushing their team, whereas the line for LeBron haters likely wraps around the globe a few times.

Stats are another story. 
    But for what reason?  It's idiotic.  The guy was on the cover of SI in high school, yet here he is... always doing the right things, staying out of trouble, being a global ambassador, the work he does for Akron is crazy!  

I admit to hating him for exactly four years.  But that was just being hurt.  If he loves now, any Clevelander will be sad, but no one thinks he owes us a thing.  He paid all of his debts with class.  He sure as hell didn't have to leave the league for a few years "to play baseball".  The difference between the two as people is pretty stark, in my book.  
  • Options
    timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    A quick aside to this debate, I actually "met" MJ once. I was just in the right place at the right time (and apparently had the perfect amount of booze in my system) at the Kentucky Derby. He was walking in from his limo and I walked by and just said, "What's up, Mike?" and nodded at him without breaking stride. My buddies I was with said he actually paused and looked for a second like he might actually know me...they also said it was the single coolest thing I will ever do in my life which is hard to argue with haha. Just wish I had a better recollection of it!
  • Options
    timdwilli said:
    A quick aside to this debate, I actually "met" MJ once. I was just in the right place at the right time (and apparently had the perfect amount of booze in my system) at the Kentucky Derby. He was walking in from his limo and I walked by and just said, "What's up, Mike?" and nodded at him without breaking stride. My buddies I was with said he actually paused and looked for a second like he might actually know me...they also said it was the single coolest thing I will ever do in my life which is hard to argue with haha. Just wish I had a better recollection of it!
    I missed meeting MJ by probably a minute. My high school girlfriend and her mother met him in the concourse at the Dean Dome while waiting for her dad and I to exit the men's room. Sonofabitch!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    timdwilli said:
    My brother use to be a golf pro at a course in Mansfield, Ohio close to where Mid Ohio race track is.  Jordan was in town for something at the race track and he played a round or two of golf there while he was in town.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    timdwillitimdwilli Los Angeles, CA Posts: 294
    KC138045 said:
    timdwilli said:
    My brother use to be a golf pro at a course in Mansfield, Ohio close to where Mid Ohio race track is.  Jordan was in town for something at the race track and he played a round or two of golf there while he was in town.
    I'm gonna guess there was heavy gambling taking place at both the track and the course! What course was it? I grew up in Marion and Mansfield/Lexington/Ashland schools were our league in sports.
  • Options
    timdwilli said:
    KC138045 said:
    timdwilli said:
    I'm gonna guess there was heavy gambling taking place at both the track and the course! What course was it? I grew up in Marion and Mansfield/Lexington/Ashland schools were our league in sports.
    Westbrook Country Club.  My brother lives in Lexington.  Its just a short 45 minute drive for me so I'm up there quite often.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    dankind said:
    timdwilli said:
    I missed meeting MJ by probably a minute. My high school girlfriend and her mother met him in the concourse at the Dean Dome while waiting for her dad and I to exit the men's room. Sonofabitch!
    That's why you should never give it more than 2 shakes after you finish.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    timdwilli said:
    That's why you should never give it more than 2 shakes after you finish.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    edited May 2018
    1991: Lakers with Magic, Worthy, & Divac
    1992: Blazers with Drexler, Porter, Kersey, & Williams
    1993: Suns with Barkley, Majerle, & Johnson
    1996: Sonics with Kemp, Payton, Perkins, & Hawkins
    1997-98: Jazz with Malone, Stockton, & Hornacek

Don't tell me Jordan never faced talent like Golden State.  That's the biggest load of crap.  Half of those teams he faced in the Finals had equal or better regular season records than Jordan's Bulls.

Oh, one more thing... they pleayed defense in the NBA in the 90s, too.
    Post edited by HesCalledDyer on
  • Options
    dankind said:

Stats are another story. 
    Off the court, I'd much rather hang out with Lebron than Michael.  Lebron seems way more of a laid back kinda dude.  I've heard a lot of stories of Mike giving the cold shoulder or just flat out being a dick to people.  Never once heard that about Lebron.

On the court, I utterly despise the both of them. :lol:  But you are right, as a basketball player, Michael is certainly going to win the popular vote.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,195
    mrussel1 said:
    I personally don't like the GOAT conversation.  Jordan was great.  Lebron is great.  They are heads and shoulders above teh rest.  They both, unlike anyone except maybe Will, dominated the game and league.  They are/were both the Sun of the basketball universe.  Everything revolves around them and there's good reason for that.  Arguing whether 6 rings is better than 3 or if being the #1 scorer in the playoffs (and likely the all time record) is somehow a trump card argument is useless.  Maybe it's fun... but it's useless.  But I see the Jordan people get all amped up about this.  And they end up not appreciating what they are watching and the fact that it's generational.  
    agree with this. they are 1 and 1a in the modern era of basketball and no one else comes close.  let's let Lebron's career wind down before trying to come to a conclusion.  Lebron still has the ability to add to his list of accomplishments. 

• Options
    pjhawks said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I personally don't like the GOAT conversation.  Jordan was great.  Lebron is great.  They are heads and shoulders above teh rest.  They both, unlike anyone except maybe Will, dominated the game and league.  They are/were both the Sun of the basketball universe.  Everything revolves around them and there's good reason for that.  Arguing whether 6 rings is better than 3 or if being the #1 scorer in the playoffs (and likely the all time record) is somehow a trump card argument is useless.  Maybe it's fun... but it's useless.  But I see the Jordan people get all amped up about this.  And they end up not appreciating what they are watching and the fact that it's generational.  
    agree with this. they are 1 and 1a in the modern era of basketball and no one else comes close.  let's let Lebron's career wind down before trying to come to a conclusion.  Lebron still has the ability to add to his list of accomplishments. 

Lebron will never be the goat until he plays a season of Minor League Baseball.  He can play here in Columbus AAA or in Akron AA both are Cleveland Indians farm teams.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • Options

Don't tell me Jordan never faced talent like Golden State.  That's the biggest load of crap.  Half of those teams he faced in the Finals had equal or better regular season records than Jordan's Bulls.

How many mvps in their prime are on that list? 
    How many have 4 all stars?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

The argument is Jordan NEVER faced talent like Lebron does.  That's total bs.  He did, and he beat them all.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

The argument is Jordan NEVER faced talent like Lebron does.  That's total bs.  He did, and he beat them all.
    The argument is that those guys don't measure up to the current warriors . When it was three of them,  he won.   Lost when they added Durant. 
  • Options
    He lost when it was 3 of them, too.  Before Durant.

Lebron is so close to being 1-7 in Finals if not for Ray Allen and Kyrie bailing his ass out.
  • Options
    He lost when it was 3 of them, too.  Before Durant.

Lebron is so close to being 1-7 in Finals if not for Ray Allen and Kyrie bailing his ass out.
    Kyrie and Love were injured.  You don't remember this?
  • Options
    Not when they won in 2016 they weren't. Kyrie hit the 3 that buried GSW.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,768
    thread integrity, as a city Cleveland is still Cleveland.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Not when they won in 2016 they weren't. Kyrie hit the 3 that buried GSW.
    I misunderstood.  I thought you were pointing to 15. LeBron led ALL players in points,  rebounds,  assists and steals in that finals.  I'm fairly certain that has never been done before. 
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Talk about a thread derail haha
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Kind of, kind of not.

Lebron IS Cleveland lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Kind of, kind of not.

Lebron IS Cleveland lol
    I very much enjoyed the day I spent in Cleveland; Pittsburgh was fun, too -- and way more walkable.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:
    Kind of, kind of not.

Lebron IS Cleveland lol
    I very much enjoyed the day I spent in Cleveland; Pittsburgh was fun, too -- and way more walkable.
    Pittsburgh is great.  As much as I loathe the sports teams, the city itself and the people are an absolute blast!
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tried to upload a dash cam video from friday night coming up on downtown on 90 heading east. cant see where I can do that direct from my computer. Wanted to give TA a sense of the city at night.

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    mickeyrat said:
    tried to upload a dash cam video from friday night coming up on downtown on 90 heading east. cant see where I can do that direct from my computer. Wanted to give TA a sense of the city at night.

Thanks dude. Appreciate the thought. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    I like him on Family Guy
    Image result for cleveland family guy
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA