Options

famous controversial performances

2»

Comments

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    edited May 2015
    Anyone remember the show about 10 years ago that was a live stream and the Live Stream provider conveniently had "feed disruptions" anytime Ed had a negative comment to say about Bush?
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255

Anyone remember the show about 10 years ago that was a live stream and the Live Stream provider conveniently had "feed disruptions" anytime Ed had a negative comment to say about Bush?

Good one
  • Options

Was that the AT and T provided by?
    George bush leave this world alone?
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,833
    hartford 96 or 98.....police used tear gas on the crowd. good times.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,177
    edited May 2015
    YLed2 said:

Not a controversial show by any means, but the Bristow (DC) show in 2010 he flat out told corporate lobbyists to go kill themselves. He literally asked if there were any corporate lobbyists in the crowd, and if there were - "go kill yourselves." Not too cool of a statement by any regards. I was at the show and trust me, he wasn't really joking.

He later apologized in the show for the statement, but again, not really too bright or cool of a statement to make by any account.

I was at this show. def an uncomfortable moment as it seems there were some lobbyists near me that took it to heart and left. fuck em. I thought Ed was articulate if a little extreme in his punishment ideas.

I remember he referred to Goldman Sachs in particular.
    Post edited by lolobugg on

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Thought my weed was laced haha
  • Options
    Wma31394Wma31394 Posts: 3,045
    Arms Aloft 2nd song at pj20.. Crowd is going nuts for release then they bust into arms aloft??? I think the worst set list decision ever deserves to be controversial..
    "Going where the water tastes like wine!"
  • Options
    YLed2YLed2 Des Moines, IA Posts: 5,534
    Wma31394 said:

Arms Aloft 2nd song at pj20.. Crowd is going nuts for release then they bust into arms aloft??? I think the worst set list decision ever deserves to be controversial..

No joke! Could you imagine if they tore into Corduroy after that epic Release? The place would've crumbled to the ground.

Bristow, VA - 5.13.10
    East Troy, WI - 9.3.11
    East Troy, WI - 9.4.11
    Atlanta, GA - 9.22.12
    Las Vegas, NV - 10.31.12 (EV)
    Las Vegas, NV - 11.1.12 (EV)
    Chicago, IL - 7.19.13
    Dallas, TX - 11.15.13
    Oklahoma City, OK - 11.16.13
    Seattle, WA - 12.6.13
    Lincoln, NE - 10.9.14
    Moline, IL - 10.17.14
    St. Paul, MN - 10.19.14
    Milwaukee, WI - 10.20.14
    New York, NY - 5.1.16
    New York, NY - 5.2.16
    Boston, MA - 8.5.16
    Boston, MA - 8.7.16
    Chicago, IL - 8.20.16

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,833
    Wma31394 said:

lol. what the hell was ed thinking?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Sarah said:

Another oldie but goodie! "Shoe The Shoeless!", Indio '93...

*Language warning, of course

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y2lG8KVRf0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nd9iOpMSOns

\That show was so much fun -- the crowd was filled with many banger dickheads though. The week before in Bezerkely was so much happier. He talked shit on the pope during that show 10.31.93 if I recall. (I had a lot to drink that day!)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
  • Options
    WhywhyzedWhywhyzed Posts: 270
    What about the Quarter Rant from Mansfield '98?
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,137
    Why was the 2007 lolla daughter controversial? If it's because he said "George Bush leave this world alone..." then every show they've ever played is controversial.
  • Options
    RB90590RB90590 Posts: 227
    Here is some of the fun from Mesa 93...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zs0cjBkTjo

1995 was full of controversy, the following playlist has most news clips and shows in order...

• Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    Jed said:

Why was the 2007 lolla daughter controversial? If it's because he said "George Bush leave this world alone..." then every show they've ever played is controversial.

because AT&T was livestreaming it and they blocked that part out of the stream
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    mcgruff10 said:

What about San fran 95? Pretty damn controversial. That show made national headlines. And of course Denmark 2000 was controversial in its own way.

Yeah. I was home from college (no internet, no cable TV) holding a ticket to my first show (Milwaukee) and I remember thinking "these guys are gonna fizzle out like Guns N Roses." If you'd have told me they'd be around in 2000, much less 2015, I'd have laughed at you. I think the assumptions of a lot of people (myself included) were that Eddie stormed off the stage Axl Rose style or something. Anything I've read since then, taken at face value, indicates that Eddie was in legitimate need of a hospital visit.

But it was definitely controversial. They were cancelling shows due to Ticketmaster (they cancelled, and reinstated the Milwaukee shows) and people were turning on them because they just wanted to go to a show. Then this happens. I'd have bet there would not be a 4th album after that.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Bad tuna and according to Greg graffin, bad acid too.
  • Options
    SarahSarah Toronto Posts: 736
    RB90590 said:

Thanks for finding that... That's definitely the bit I saw... For some reason, I love that Stone is the one who douses the shirt in lighter fluid. The image of them playing "Leash" as it burns is awesome.

"Somewhere in between / There and here / I got lost / I got scared..."
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited May 2015
    mcgruff10 said:

That was Hartford 98. In the liner notes of live on two legs, It says something like" thanks for a great summer and our crew" ps: Hartford police leave those kids alone."
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957
    Sarah said:

RB90590 said:

Thanks for finding that... That's definitely the bit I saw... For some reason, I love that Stone is the one who douses the shirt in lighter fluid. The image of them playing "Leash" as it burns is awesome.

Is that U of A shirt? I can't tell for sure. I thought they were protesting ASU? Fucking stoners, hahaha.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    YLed2 said:

Not a controversial show by any means, but the Bristow (DC) show in 2010 he flat out told corporate lobbyists to go kill themselves. He literally asked if there were any corporate lobbyists in the crowd, and if there were - "go kill yourselves." Not too cool of a statement by any regards. I was at the show and trust me, he wasn't really joking.

He later apologized in the show for the statement, but again, not really too bright or cool of a statement to make by any account.

Never knew this... I actually wanted to go to this show

Very poor taste by Ed

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    Wrigley 2013. The storm came and just stopped right above Wrigley for a couple of hours. So, given the amount of travel fans did to get to that show, they negotiated a 2:00 AM finish. There were some very unhappy neighbors. It was awesome (though not as awesome as it would have been had it gone as planned; we lost eight songs)
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    danphxarizdanphxariz Posts: 29
    edited January 2017
    Sarah said:

RB90590 said:

Is that U of A shirt? I can't tell for sure. I thought they were protesting ASU? Fucking stoners, hahaha.

Wow! This is the first Pearl Jam show I ever went to, and I was standing right in front of that burning shirt! There was so much smoke, you really can’t tell from the video but the smoke was almost choking us in front. I remember seeing this video on MTV years ago - I'm the tall head right in the center (I’m 6’5”). It was a U of A sweatshirt, not a t-shirt, and they were protesting U of A, not ASU - even though the show was in Mesa. Thanks for sharing that great memory and glad you posted the video!

And speaking of controversial shows, I don't think anyone mentioned the show in Indio, CA, right before they came to Mesa... maybe that one goes without saying though but hopefully it's not forgotten.
    Post edited by danphxariz on
    "Butter hands" flew from her side? I wish I had butter hands. Mmmm, butter.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,213
    edited January 2017
    ehbacon said:

Daughter/anti-war rant - Milton Keynes
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxliwplW3Sk

^ Been there, goosebumps all the time...

One of the many raising awareness moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxkRPARwKgI

& of course celebration of amateurism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHyWHl22ti8
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024