Options

Goodbye, this use to be a really cool place

Big Bank HankBig Bank Hank Seattle, WA Posts: 8,639
edited May 2015 in The Porch
I counted 14 of the 28 threads on the first page were merchandise/vinyl related, it use to be that 80 to 90% of the threads were about the music or tour dates or stuff band related, and the merchandise threads keep taking over more and more of the porch, no offense to people who want to spend their time speaking about the merchandise, just not very inspiring for me, I joined this group because I assumed that it was a bunch of people who wanted to talk about the music. I know this thread will get locked because there is a constant attempt to limit free expression even when clearly nothing I have said violates the board rules. I will stay until they announce a Canadian Tour, but I will only be keeping that one thread active for my many friends in Canada, after that I am gone, probably going to let my membership expire too (I might keep it just for the setlist threads over in Given To Fly), I can always get tickets on Facebook. Maybe it is just me, but I can't see why it so hard to have a section just for people who want to talk about the band, the tour dates and the songs (although maybe this is the way the band wants it, as they play fewer and fewer shows, maybe they want it to be all about merchandise), but all these other threads make it too hard to sift through, so my best wishes, but this time is for good unless they create a forum that is about the songs, tour dates and the band, so good luck to everyone, this is a bummer, there were so many great discussions in here, my time on The Porch is nearing it's end, proof that not all change is for the good (although I am sure some are rejoicing, lol). No hard feelings, best wishes to everyone.

Comments

• Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710
    edited May 2015
    This all is a good reason for PJ to give us a SPIN THE BLACK CIRLCE place. Only vinyl talk allowed. Think that would solve you're problem ;). If I were you I would stay. I am not long on these boards and know that you're very much liked around these parts. Once the mystery vinyl is landed everywhere I think that will clear up the vinyl threads. Everything will turn to normal, I presume.
    Post edited by JustaPJFan on
  • Options

This all is a good reason for PJ to give us a SPIN THE BLACK CIRLCE place. Only vinyl talk allowed. Think that would solve you're problem ;).

I suggested that and they locked the thread, lol
  • Options
    JustaPJFanJustaPJFan Posts: 710

This all is a good reason for PJ to give us a SPIN THE BLACK CIRLCE place. Only vinyl talk allowed. Think that would solve you're problem ;).

Strange. Just a GOOD request IMO. Vinyl lovers are there a lot, don't understand why they shouldn't have their own place. As you already said, if you look at how many threads there are with VINYL in it, a own room would be good. Porch would turn to the old place then.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    So because one forum you've demanded hasn't been created, you're taking your toys and leaving? Maybe it's just not feasible for the parameters of this place, maybe not enough asking for it, or it being a need for most. I'm sure it's not as simple as "hey, so-and-so wants this, let's get her done"

Either way, I hope you stick to your guns!

But...where will you be asking the band to hit up your place for a smoke-out?

=)

(really though - you pay your dues, hope your voice is heard but if not, the end of the world is not near. I don't get how some of the rules here are applied or not, but pretty sure the mods aren't speech-Nazi's)
  • Options

Strange. Just a GOOD request IMO. Vinyl lovers are there a lot, don't understand why they shouldn't have their own place. As you already said, if you look at how many threads there are with VINYL in it, a own room would be good. Porch would turn to the old place then.
    I am totally with you, but the hardest thing is getting someone to listen to your ideas and concepts and not have them have a natural reaction as to be offended because they did not conceive the idea, an ideas section that they actually listen to fans ideas is the best idea ever (sure some of the ideas would suck, but many wouldn't) that would be something organic that would be free to grow and we would all be involved in it, however it will never happen because it seems they have this fortress in their minds that their way of doing things cannot be improved upon, but without thinking outside the box and challenging conventional ways of thinking and doing things, you would never have progress and evolution. I was naive in thinking that this board would follow the same ideals of the band, my bad.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

So because one forum you've demanded hasn't been created, you're taking your toys and leaving? Maybe it's just not feasible for the parameters of this place, maybe not enough asking for it, or it being a need for most. I'm sure it's not as simple as "hey, so-and-so wants this, let's get her done"

=)

(really though - you pay your dues, hope your voice is heard but if not, the end of the world is not near. I don't get how some of the rules here are applied or not, but pretty sure the mods aren't speech-Nazi's)

no I only joined after seeing Pearl Jam Twenty and thinking the Ten Club was a cool place where fans got to talk about the music and tour dates and the band, I have no desire to sift through merchandise which it is not like you can take it with you when you die, what you take with you are your life experiences and your wisdom and spiritual growth and inspirations, I kind of thought it would be a place reflective of the music and lyrics and the band members of Pearl Jam, which sadly I must concede I was extremely naive, not the first time that has happened, I am always led by my heart
  • Options
    KC2917KC2917 Posts: 871

hedonist said:

=)

no I only joined after seeing Pearl Jam Twenty and thinking the Ten Club was a cool place where fans got to talk about the music and tour dates and the band, I have no desire to sift through merchandise which it is not like you can take it with you when you die, what you take with you are your life experiences and your wisdom and spiritual growth and inspirations, I kind of thought it would be a place reflective of the music and lyrics and the band members of Pearl Jam, which sadly I must concede I was extremely naive, not the first time that has happened, I am always led by my heart
    I thought you left already.
  • Options
    Force Of NatureForce Of Nature Hertfordshire, England Posts: 923
    I get there are lots of merch threads right now but most are vinyl related and the 10C have just done one of their biggest sales with the mystery vinyl, it was bound to generate extra conversations about vinyl.
    I get what you're saying about you cant take material things with you, but from what a lot of these vinyl enthusiasts seem to say is that listening to vinyl can be an experience in itself with the superior analogue quality. When there's a tour announcement there are plenty of similar threads about it and I dont see this as any different, just extra chatter about a recent event.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

hedonist said:

=)

But don't you partake of the merchandise too, in some way? Every picture you've posted of yourself reflects you wearing some of their garb. So by the same token...isn't vinyl merch as well?

Anyway, hopefully a lesson learned for you (though I'm not sure how naivete enters into it; this place is what it is, and those who run it can't accommodate every request).
  • Options
    hedonist said:

hedonist said:

=)

But don't you partake of the merchandise too, in some way? Every picture you've posted of yourself reflects you wearing some of their garb. So by the same token...isn't vinyl merch as well?

Anyway, hopefully a lesson learned for you (though I'm not sure how naivete enters into it; this place is what it is, and those who run it can't accommodate every request).
    yes lesson learned, Cameron Crowe romanticized it and the dreamer in me bought into it, I am sure there are other websites where I can talk with other fans about the music and the band, no worries, I will be good either way
  • Options
    Wait - it's Cameron's fault?! I thought it was Stone's.

What about the merch comment I made, though - no credence to it?
  • Options
    I thought that this was a place where our collective ideas and love could change the world, as I thought it was a reflection of the music, obviously this was not the place for it, not the first time I was wrong or last time I will be wrong either
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I like wearing Pearl Jam stuff and I have a few posters, I just don't like talking about it all the time or having to sift through threads about it, it seems like a waste of time, whereas a show, as anyone who has ever been to a show knows, is one of the most inspirational experiences of my life, and listening to the music brings me so much inspiration
  • Options
    change the world? Cameron really did romanticise it for you didnt he :wink:
    This place is whatever you want it to be, if you want to talk about a certain song then create a thread for it, if you want to talk about merch create a thread for it
  • Options
    BlredyellowBlredyellow Posts: 843
    You've said goodbye before and you keep coming back. And posting polls. Sorry but it's true. Either stay or go. But don't keep making dramatic "Goodbye" posts. This place is OK. But isn't the beginning or ending of the world.
  • Options

This place is OK. But isn't the beginning or ending of the world.

What!?! then Im off as well :wink:
  • Options

This place is whatever you want it to be, if you want to talk about a certain song then create a thread for it, if you want to talk about merch create a thread for it

it is pointless it gets lost in the muck
  • Options

hedonist said:

I like wearing Pearl Jam stuff and I have a few posters, I just don't like talking about it all the time or having to sift through threads about it, it seems like a waste of time, whereas a show, as anyone who has ever been to a show knows, is one of the most inspirational experiences of my life, and listening to the music brings me so much inspiration
    I thought the GTF forum was for that?

My goodness, just post as you want. Search for things you can't find and if still no success, as Force said, make a thread for it.

Life is complicated. This place, not so much.

But, as with life, it's what you make of it, give to it, and take from it.
  • Options

Ahhh. So the other posts are muck and yours aren't.

I've found many treasures while digging in the so-called dirt (cue Peter Gabriel!).

We're not all special little flowers, Hank.
  • Options
    hedonist said:

I've found many treasures while digging in the so-called dirt (cue Peter Gabriel!).

actually we all are special or at least have the potential to be, I need to be constantly evolving
  • Options
    I already admitted I was wrong, I thought it was something it isn't, and yes I left twice before, but my love of the music pulled me back, but since there is so little talk of that anymore than my presence on the Porch won't be missed anyway, I don't contribute near what I use to, and have been growing more and more detached anyway, I have seen people who have been members for 10 years plus leave since I have been here, so from that perspective my leaving pales greatly in comparison, not looking for sympathy or anything other than a place where talking about the music and the band and how that can make the world a better place is the focal point
  • Options

hedonist said:

actually we all are special or at least have the potential to be, I need to be constantly evolving
    And the lack of that one forum is keeping you from it?

I guess that's not what I'm getting.

In the end, you're pissed and feel your progress is hampered because you didn't get a requested forum put into place and can't be arsed to sift through the dirt the rest of us created so that your views shine?

Honestly, that's how it's coming across. If I'm incorrect, please feel free to set me straight.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

a place where talking about the music and the band and how that can make the world a better place is the focal point

Can I check, what do you mean by making the world a better place?
    This is a band forum so there's only so much you should expect here.

From my count on the first page there are:
    Chicago Wishlist Fundraiser
    memorial fundraiser
    Vitalogy foundation
    Flight to mars fundraiser
    Fellow fan in need raffle

Thats not bad for a band 'making the world a better place'
  • Options
    I do appreciate all the charity work they do and try to support as many of the causes as I can, but what I am talking about is about life and ideas and way to become better people and make the world a better place, which only comes from talking about feelings and emotions and love and wisdom
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    You'll be back, again. This place is like sex.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options

You'll be back, again. This place is like sex.

lol, thanks for the laugh
  • Options
    SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,165
    Why the need to be all or nothing? You're gonna go from posting lots to leaving? Maybe just take a break and lurk every now and then. Most things in life aren't black and white. There are a lot of good people here. Maybe they don't post all the time but they are here.

Do whatever you want obviously, just think you're taking this board a bit too seriously.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,419
    Life is about change. Nothing stays the same forever.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    hedonist said:

I am a goddamned snowflake, I don't care WHAT Tyler Durden says.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options

I do appreciate all the charity work they do and try to support as many of the causes as I can, but what I am talking about is about life and ideas and way to become better people and make the world a better place, which only comes from talking about feelings and emotions and love and wisdom

This is strange to me, given the various threads not just about charity work of the band but of those who have given of themselves in so many ways, to both friends and strangers.

The initial post was about something different, no? Band, tour dates and songs. I want my forum, dammit! - is how it came across.

I think the other threads you mentioned up there address your latest post vs the first one.

Have you changed course or am I missing something?
This discussion has been closed.