Tremor Christ lyric question

CG49089CG49089 Posts: 109
Was rediscovering Tremor Christ today... Such an amazing song. I'm actually thinking of using it as an accompaniment to a letter I'm writing my Dad.

Anyway,

The line at the end of the song: "turns the bow back, tows, and drops the line"

I'm curious to know if anyone knows what "drops the line" means.

I've always understood the lyric to mean that the sailor is heading back into the storm, or going back to try to save the lover who was drowning in his wake. But what does "drops the line" mean? I always wonder, does he mean drop the anchor? But that seems to mean the opposite.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Comments

• cdlongroadcdlongroad Posts: 30
    I also thought it meant drop the anchor. Not sure. Hopefully a sailor will weigh in here.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    It's most likely the "mooring line". They untied and are going back out to sea.

That's how I would interpret it.
  • VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,900
    The way I interpret it: he's gone back to shore, towed the boat up on the sand, and then dropped the towing line. He's already sailed out, dove in the water to save the drowning gorgeous savior, now he's returned to land and hoping she lives.
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    About an addict/drugs.....? Wounded man he left wounded....turns the bow back....drops the line/drugs.....- another thought was that he turned back to drop the line/kill the wounded man. Difficult to understand - religion? Drugs? Love? Amazing song excellent groove.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    We're all so different in what we think it means!

I've always pictured dropping a line into the water to save someone. Like throwing out a life ring on a rope to pick up the person in the water who is drowning!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    justam said:

We're all so different in what we think it means!

I've always pictured dropping a line into the water to save someone. Like throwing out a life ring on a rope to pick up the person in the water who is drowning!

I never thought of the gorgeous savior as literally drowning at least not in a literal body of water. Storm, shore, wake, oceans, waves - I get it but I just never literally thought of a body of water - just this storm of a life I guess.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    I've read this interpretation of the song on the net, and it seems legit to me. I think that every person has their own interpretation and feelings for a song though which is why the band rarely goes into their personal feelings for the song.

Anywho:

Winded is the sailor...drifting by the storm...
    Wounded is the organ he left all...bloodied on the shore...

(The guy is tired of not having control of his life, his heart he left behind on the shore.)
    Gorgeous was his savior, sees her...drowning in his wake...
    Daily taste the salt of her tears, but...a chance blamed fate...

(His girl was gorgeous, but he is leaving her behind in his wake. He is blaming his problems on Fate)
    Little secrets, tremors...turned to quake...
    The smallest oceans still get...big, big waves...

(He kept his addiction secret, just had tremors to deal with, but now the tremors have become HUGE Quakes he cannot hide. The smallest amount of the addiction can turn Big, Big.)
    Ransom paid the Devil...He whispers pleasing words...
    Triumphant are the angels if they can...a get there first...

(He paid money to the dealer which is refered to as the Devil. The dealer told him pleasing words.
    The angels can save him if they can get there first, meaning if he can get ahold of himself and think sanely before he needs another fix.)
    The next few lines are him changing his mind, wanting to get his life back.
    Then he turns the bow back and decides to go back to his girl, and put his faith and love in the tremor christ, which basically means he is going to try to deal with the tremors, and get help.

So drop the line is essentially dropping the anchor, or tying up to shore.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090

It's most likely the "mooring line". They untied and are going back out to sea.

That's how I would interpret it.

www.cluthelee.com
  • pjradiopjradio Posts: 6,704
    ^^^same here
    aqo2t.jpg