Options

Comments

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383

Hobbes said:

Right now it starts with Pearl Jam and PJ related, then Jack White stuff, the classics, newer stuff.... It worked for a while, but I have run out of room, so with my impending purchase of a new shelving unit, I will re-organize alphabetically.

I'm reminded of that scene in Hi Fidelity when he re-organizes his collection chronologically according to date of purchase. :lol:

I believe he said it was organized autobiographically. I would love undertake that challenge.

I have a couple of those Ikea shelf organizers, neither are full but probably 7 total cubes of vinyl. I have five seperate categories. My great grandmother left me her record collection so that is one. I have more recent/current releases in one (PJ being part of that). I have high rotation classic stuff in another and another is low rotation classic stuff. Then there are the 45's. Each category is organized alphabetically by artist and by release date within that artist.
    Right, autobiographically. That would be a project for sure.
  • Options
    Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 336
    alphabetically for me also, but did you notice that No Code sticks out a little bit further than your other records? kinda like it's saying " yeah, I dare ya....spin me!
  • Options
    Croos1226 said:

alphabetically for me also, but did you notice that No Code sticks out a little bit further than your other records? kinda like it's saying " yeah, I dare ya....spin me!

Ah, but then is dwarfed by the two Vault's, which stick out so much further - No Code and the In Utero 20th Anniversary vinyl are left feeling inadequate by comparison...
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    MedozK said:

Two middle shelves for PJ 12", 7" are kept together in a drawer. All others are in alphabetical order.

Can I tell you how incredibly delicious your vinyl organizational system is? When I grow up, I wanna have something just like that. Until then, my husband didn't take text alerts off Amazon, so now I know that I'll be getting a lovely cube and Doolittle on vinyl for Mother's Day. :) Won't complain in the slightest!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    deadendp said:

Can I tell you how incredibly delicious your vinyl organizational system is? When I grow up, I wanna have something just like that. Until then, my husband didn't take text alerts off Amazon, so now I know that I'll be getting a lovely cube and Doolittle on vinyl for Mother's Day. :) Won't complain in the slightest!

Thanks, and I wouldn't complain either. :wink:
  • Options
    derbydavederbydave Columbus, OH Posts: 11,254
    deadendp said:

MedozK said:

Two middle shelves for PJ 12", 7" are kept together in a drawer. All others are in alphabetical order.

I'm telling Mark!!!!!
    :rofl:
    '96: Seattle: Key Arena
    '98: Seattle: Memorial Stadium 1 & 2
    '00: Columbus: Polaris
    '03: Columbus: Germain
    '10: Columbus: Nationwide Arena
    '11: East Troy: Alpine Valley - PJ20 1 & 2 + EV Detroit
    '12: Missoula + EV Jacksonville 1 & 2
    '13: Chicago / Pittsburgh / Buffalo / Seattle
    '14: Cincinnati / St. Louis / Tulsa / Lincoln / Memphis / Detroit / Moline
    '15: New York City - Global Citizen Festival
    '16: Greenville / Hampton / Raleigh / Columbia / Lexington / Ottawa / Toronto 1 & 2 / Wrigley 1 & 2
    '17: Brooklyn - Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony
    '18: London 1 & 2 / Seattle 1 & 2 / Missoula / Wrigley 1
    '22: Nashville / St. Louis

http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=170

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    ^^ He knows. He's upset. I'm a girl who likes a good surprise. That reminds me, I must remember to show him how to turn text alerts off.

I can tell you that his Father's Day gift arrived. (A beautiful blue set of vinyl from Darkest Hour.) Because of our luck with the vinyl at Hellyeah the other day and our vinyl luck in general, I did crack it open today to check it. Beautiful and perfect! And he didn't get a text alert that it arrived!
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    edited May 2015

MedozK said:

Oh shit! That drawer with the 7" was a damn good idea man! Your whole vinyl display looks really good. And that PJ collection is a healthy one ;) I have a very similar way of storage, except for that I store all 7" in boxes of about 50 each, and all PJ out of sight, behind doors in my IKEA settup, so my friends don't fiddle too much with them when they are here and are too drunk.....
    that drawer is awesome!

I think we are all fans of ikea too!

okay just signed up for photobucket here you go:

Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    AMENt_TO_THATAMENt_TO_THAT Norwegia Posts: 391
    hrd2imgn said:

MedozK said:

Oh shit! That drawer with the 7" was a damn good idea man! Your whole vinyl display looks really good. And that PJ collection is a healthy one ;) I have a very similar way of storage, except for that I store all 7" in boxes of about 50 each, and all PJ out of sight, behind doors in my IKEA settup, so my friends don't fiddle too much with them when they are here and are too drunk.....
    that drawer is awesome!

Sweeeeet! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only PJ vinyl hoarder around ;) It's a disease....
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    we live in a commodities market around here, never know when you need something for trade....but my reason is more of i want backup if I mess the lp up somehow!
  • Options
    icemanapicemanap Posts: 406
    Hi all. Really enjoyed looking at this thread. I haven't been on this forum for a long time, but have been meaning to recently as I am doing a university project on the future of vinyl records. I know there's many PJ fans out there who are avid collectors of not just PJ, but many other bands too. Seeing some of your collections is awesome, well done all!

My project is looking at the recent resurgence in vinyl and whether or not it is not just niche collectors or more and more people now collecting. I also want to find out what impact Record Store Day has had and why you think vinyl is better than CD/download. The survey link is below and would really appreciate it if people from this forum post could help me!

https://www.esurveycreator.co.uk/s/e1690d3

Many thanks
    :D Rock on!!!! :D
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    whats the name or the ikea black cube shelves again?
    thanks,
    c
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Nami said:

thanks,
    c

the old ones were Expedit (which I prefer), the newer ones are Kallax.

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    mfc2006 said:

Nami said:

thanks,
    c

just found it thanks! They fit the PJ boxsets and vault series no problem?
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    wgwg Posts: 411
    hrd2imgn said:

MedozK said:

that drawer is awesome!

Nice collection! What the organization behind this though?

I spy The Super Bowl Shuffle
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,140
    Damn both of you guys have multiples of nearly everything. I saw like 2 avocados, 2 binaurals, multiple riot acts, a sealed binaural, like 3 yields, 3 no codes at least 2 pj20's hahahahaha!!!

Feel pretty bad for all the people on lost dogs begging for some of these albums and ya'll have piles of em just sitting there lol. Oh well, spin spin!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    Why would you have two copies of the same album on vinyl? Unless one is a special edition or something, then why not just buy the special edition?
    Seen Pearl Jam 4 times in London, once in Manchester, as well as an Eddie show at Hammersmith.
  • Options
    icemanap said:

Why would you have two copies of the same album on vinyl? Unless one is a special edition or something, then why not just buy the special edition?

Who knows. But that list I wrote above could be added to also. There's a sealed Benny, too. I'm crying inside.
  • Options
    icemanap said:

Why do some people where boxers, while others where briefs? Who cares. If dude wants 5 Benaroyas, then by all means...

Whatever makes you happy. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone else. Personally, I don't need duplicates in my collection. I would love No Code, Binaural, Riot Act, Lost Dogs, etc., but I don't expect people with multiples to give one up for me (unless they want to).

That said, I own 5 Fender Jazzmasters...
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Nami said:

mfc2006 said:

Nami said:

thanks,
    c

just found it thanks! They fit the PJ boxsets and vault series no problem?
    They do, with a bit of clearance still. I think the cube openings are just a fraction over 13" square.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    icemanap said:

Lots of people just like to have one open and one sealed. I try to do this also, but there are other reasons to have multiple copies. For me a lot of the one I have 2 of is one is the US pressing and one is the EU pressing. There are also other reasons, like different pressings, No Code has 4 sets of Cards, so if you want them all you have to have 4 No Codes.
    For Example:
    Ten ( I have 8 copies)
    1991 US Pressing (Sealed)
    1991 US Pressing (Open)
    1991 Euro Pressing (Open)
    1991 Korean Pressing (Open)
    2009 Ten Box Set (Containing 2 versions of Ten)
    2009 Ten Redux (Open First Pressing)
    2009 Ten Redux (Open Second Pressing)
    2013 Ten Redux (Open) (Newbury Coke Bottle Vinyl)

Lightning Bolt ( I have 7 copies)
    Open Copies
    US 1st Pressing
    US 2nd Pressing
    US 2nd Pressing in Generic Sleeve (Sealed)
    US 1st Pressing (Red)
    US 2nd Pressing (Red) in Generic Sleeve (Sealed)
    Sealed Copies
    US Pressing (Not sure 1st or 2nd, its sealed)
    EU Pressing (Not sure 1st or 2nd, its sealed)

And there are people who have WAY!!! more copies of stuff than I do...I think its just a collector thing :smirk:
    Post edited by MedozK on
  • Options
    Fair enough. I can see why you don't want to open them. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Everything we have is in alphabetical order, then chronological with in the band/artist. My hubby built shelves to house all of our vinyl when we merged our collections together :smiley:

All of our 45s are housed in several 45 boxes.

We're still saving a spot for the Benny box set..someday the gap will be filled :dreams:
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    That's an incredible collection medozk. I am not passing judgement, just jealousy :)
  • Options
    MedozK said:

Love the drawer idea for the singles!!
  • Options

That's an incredible collection medozk. I am not passing judgement, just jealousy :)

Lol, thanks. I have seriously been second guessing my self a lot lately about it. I sit here, play the records, admire the shelf, but thats about it. I really dont have anyone local that is into the stuff like I am... my wife could actually care less, and my girls would rather listen to Disney Radio..lol

I sat here the other night and thought "I wonder how quickly the girls take all this shit to Goodwill when I am gone"...lol
  • Options
    We've actually been going through our entire vinyl collection in alphabetical order...just finished up PJ and now we're listening to Tom Petty :smiley:
  • Options

We've actually been going through our entire vinyl collection in alphabetical order...just finished up PJ and now we're listening to Tom Petty :smiley:

That sounds fun! Might steal that idea
  • Options
    wg said:

That sounds fun! Might steal that idea
    It's been quite an experience! After we get through our LPs, we'll go through the 45s..that will be really cool too!
  • Options

2 of my 8 Ikea Kallax cubes are strictly dedicated to Pearl Jam vinyl.

Ha! I have the same. Top right cube all pj.