Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    I hear good things about anything Music Hall. I have a Pro-Ject Carbon debut. I bought it when I wasn't sure if I would dig vinyl. Unfortunately I really do. I'd really like to get a VPI Scout 1.1....or any VPI frankly.

I use a squeezebox touch which has a solid built in DAC, and handle 24/96. For critical listening, I use the digital out and send to my Yamaha ESS ES9006 24/192 DAC. When listening through the multiple zones, I have to use the analog out on the SB, therefore the slightly inferior DAC. It's annoying that most AVR's won't play digital in multi-zone.
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    Mrussel's got a squeezebox.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

Mommy never sleeps at night....
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

:lol:

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:

mrussel1 said:

lolobugg said:

:lol:
    Hadn't listened to that song for years... but has great lyrics! Thanks for reminding me.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:

I hear good things about anything Music Hall.

I enjoy mine, but I hope to get a VPI someday.
  • mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

dudeman said:

MedozK said:

dudeman said:

I have been a big fan of Onkyo CD players. Great bang for the buck.

Yep, the Onkyo C-7030 CD player is an exceptional player for the money.
    Silly question... Or maybe not?

How can a CD player be a better quality sounding than another? It's digital.
    Circuit topology, quality of components, build quality, DAC....these all contribute to the experience of the end listener.
    This ^
    Is A DAC. A game changer? All my CDs should be played through this?
    I think it depends how you are connected from your CD player to your pre/amp, integrated or AVR. For example, if you are connected through old school analog cables, you are using the DAC in your CD player. If you are using the optical or digital output on the cd player, then you would be using the DAC within the pre amp/AVR, etc. That's because the cd player is sending a digital signal and the pre amp now decodes it.

Whether it's important or not depends on the rest of your chain of components. You are only as good as your weakest link (AVR, speakers, etc.) So you may not have a tremendous DAC in your CD player but if your speakers are no better, improving the CD player makes no difference. It all just leads you to spend more money.
    You've seen what I run. Sony disc changer into a Pioneer 8500II amp which pushes HPM-100 big ass speakers.

mrussel1 said:

MedozK said:

dudeman said:

MedozK said:

dudeman said:

I have been a big fan of Onkyo CD players. Great bang for the buck.

Yep, the Onkyo C-7030 CD player is an exceptional player for the money.
    Silly question... Or maybe not?

How can a CD player be a better quality sounding than another? It's digital.
    Circuit topology, quality of components, build quality, DAC....these all contribute to the experience of the end listener.
    This ^
    Is A DAC. A game changer? All my CDs should be played through this?
    I think it depends how you are connected from your CD player to your pre/amp, integrated or AVR. For example, if you are connected through old school analog cables, you are using the DAC in your CD player. If you are using the optical or digital output on the cd player, then you would be using the DAC within the pre amp/AVR, etc. That's because the cd player is sending a digital signal and the pre amp now decodes it.

Whether it's important or not depends on the rest of your chain of components. You are only as good as your weakest link (AVR, speakers, etc.) So you may not have a tremendous DAC in your CD player but if your speakers are no better, improving the CD player makes no difference. It all just leads you to spend more money.
    You've seen what I run. Sony disc changer into a Pioneer 8500II amp which pushes HPM-100 big ass speakers.
    Yeah, I'm sure your PIoneer amp doesn't have a DAC since it is vintage, so you're using your Sony cd DAC. But at the end of the day, a person likes what they like and there is a lot of placebo effect as well. I was in a Magnolia store the other day demo-ing some bookshelf speakers. And for me, I'm so used to the B&W sound, that their little 686 books sounded better than Sonus and other speakers that cost 5x as much. It's really just a hobby like anything else. You can trick yourself into wanting more/better. Nothing wrong with that so long as you're aware of it.
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

I would love a VPI, or the new one from Shinola. It has a VPI tonearm and put together in Detroit.

https://www.shinola.com/runwell-turntable-limited-edition.html

You'll be able to switch out the modular pre-amp.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit

MedozK said:

mrussel1 said:

I would love a VPI, or the new one from Shinola. It has a VPI tonearm and put together in Detroit.

https://www.shinola.com/runwell-turntable-limited-edition.html

You'll be able to switch out the modular pre-amp.
    Nice looking table, but not sure I love a built in pre-amp. I like the flexibility of my own and of course one less thing that can break.
  • GC31608GC31608 GA Posts: 227
    Just finished setting up my system last week and totally enjoying it:
    Pro-Ject RM-5.1 SE turntable
    Vincent PHO-700 phono stage
    Pro-Ject Speed Box SE II
    Vincent SV-236MK integrated amp
    Polk Audio LSiM 705 speakers

^^^^^^^Excellent looking set-up! Congrats!
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Is that Vincent integrated a tube or a solid state?? That looks like a Tube light in the middle.

Thanks man!
    mrussel1 said:

Is that Vincent integrated a tube or a solid state?? That looks like a Tube light in the middle.

It's a hybrid, the first 10 watts it pushes through are class A, then it switches to solid state. 10 watts are plenty loud. The phono stage also has a tube. Really great sound all around.

I'll eventually add a CD player and maybe a tape deck.
  • GC31608 said:

Thanks man!
    mrussel1 said:

It's a hybrid, the first 10 watts it pushes through are class A, then it switches to solid state. 10 watts are plenty loud. The phono stage also has a tube. Really great sound all around.

I'll eventually add a CD player and maybe a tape deck.
    That storage rack is pretty cool. What's the story on that? Ventilated holes on the side.

That storage rack is pretty cool. What's the story on that? Ventilated holes on the side.

Thanks, it's a Bell'o M342. I love the fact it has hinged gas springs at the top to encase the turntable. This way I don't need to get a dust cover.

It actually only has 3 small ventilation slits at the bottom on each side. Since I have 2 components with tubes I felt it needed more ventilation than that. A friend of mine is a cabinetmaker and I sketched out what I needed and he worked his magic. I ordered mine from Best Buy, but Crutchfield is carrying them now too.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    My cabinet is also a Bell'O (pics on page 7) and I love it. Mine has ventilation holes on each side, as well as on each shelf. I also purchased the Air Infinity T7 fan system and installed it on the cabinet. I set the fan to only kick on when the cabinet reaches a certain temp.
    My vintage Pioneer gear......

SX-950 receiver

CT-F9191

PL-570

HPM-60 speakers

Music Hall 2.2 turntable

variac......to not burn out my vintage equipment.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    bflynn1 said:

My cabinet is also a Bell'O (pics on page 7) and I love it. Mine has ventilation holes on each side, as well as on each shelf. I also purchased the Air Infinity T7 fan system and installed it on the cabinet. I set the fan to only kick on when the cabinet reaches a certain temp.

Yeah, these A/V stands are sturdy and great quality.

I thought I was going to need a fan system too, but after a 6 hour listening session the other day the equipment was just warm even with the cabinet door closed.

Awesome Wil! I love the vintage gear. Some really great systems on these posts. Keep the pics coming folks.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    GC31608 said:

bflynn1 said:

Yeah, these A/V stands are sturdy and great quality.

I thought I was going to need a fan system too, but after a 6 hour listening session the other day the equipment was just warm even with the cabinet door closed.
    I've noticed the same thing haha. Thankfully the fan system wasn't too expensive.
  • My vintage Pioneer gear......

HPM-60 speakers

Now you need to upgrade to HPM-100 speakers. You might have to upgrade the amp too but that's not always a bad thing!

Nice set up!
  • Anybody live near Jim Thorpe PA?
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    holy shit....those last 2 posts with pictures have me drooling. I like my current setup, but an upgrade will be coming in the next year or two.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com

HPM-60 speakers

Now you need to upgrade to HPM-100 speakers. You might have to upgrade the amp too but that's not always a bad thing!

Nice set up!
    Thanks bro! I've been looking for a near minty pair of HPM-100's. I've had a couple of local Craigslist deals fall through.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Okay, here's my gear that I keep upstairs. I finished this room myself and put in sound deadening material under the floor, rather than normal vapor barrier. I also put an exterior, insulated door to the downstairs for further sound proofing. The result is that even though it's right above the bedrooms, I can take it to about -15 with no one downstairs really hearing it. That's not too shabby..

Chain:
    Pro-Ject Carbon Debut with Red ortofon and acrylic platter (not pictured)
    Cambridge Audio Azur MM pre-amp
    Yamaha RX-1030A serving as pre/pro
    Outlaw Audio 5000 5 channel amp
    B&W 683 S1 speakers and matching center
    Pioneer Elite A35 2 channel integrated amp drives a pair of B&W bookshelves that are inside the stereo cabinet. I use this to listen to music if playing something on the PS4
    Squeezebox Touch 24/96 DAC
    Def Tech BP/A rear channel in wall speakers (behind couch)
    Acoustech PL200 12" sub rear ported driver, 1000 watt internal amp
    Def tech BP8 speakers on the other side of the room for full sound when shooting pool
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    Great system, bet those B&W's sound very crisp, how old are they?
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    reesdog said:

Great system, bet those B&W's sound very crisp, how old are they?

They are probably 5 years old or so. They need a lot of power though. The Outlaw amp benches at 130 wpc, all driven, and when I switched from a 100 wpc that was really a marketing term from the old amp, they really woke up. Definitely power hungry speakers.
    Beautiful set-up mrussel1!!!!!
    10-16-2014 Detroit
    Very nice mrussel1! Great idea with all the sound proofing.